The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The W.com
Parvini
Banned

Posts 145
Registered 4-24-2004
Location UK

Mood: Chilled

posted on 7-16-2004 at 12:59 AM Edit Post
The W.com

What IS IT with this horrible place?

I've had my first 4 threads "banished" and an ear bashing from CRZ.

They don't like lists... fine

They don't like more than one topic in one thread... fine

They don't like more than one thread a day... fine

So what happens? The fifth thread I put up three days later was also "banished"? Why? Because it could lead to lists being made!! I mean WTF?

Do these people just not like talking about Wrestling or something? They were all threads fairly interesting thread that we've discussed on here like the one about Ted Dibiase's World Title Potential and the one about Promos. Geez...

[Edited on 16/7/2004 by Parvini]

"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n" - John Milton

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 7-16-2004 at 01:19 AM Edit Post
I've never been a regualr visitor, but from what I do know, CRZ is a prick, and his wife is a bitch that has ruined any free conversation there. I have heard that the regulars there love it, but being a newb sucks ass.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8684
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 7-16-2004 at 01:53 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bonestein
I have heard that the regulars there love it, but being a newb sucks ass.

There are sites like that out there? I thought they were all fair and balanced like ours, taking in the huddled masses, etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 7-16-2004 at 02:20 AM Edit Post
The thing about his wife "ruining the board" is about 2 years old. She seems pretty calm now. And CRZ can be a prick, but all admins can be pricks. He's just the prick they know and are used to.

quote:
They don't like lists... fine

They don't like more than one topic in one thread... fine

They don't like more than one thread a day... fine

So what happens? The fifth thread I put up three days later was also "banished"? Why? Because it could lead to lists being made!! I mean WTF?

I pretty much share all of those attitudes.

quote:
Do these people just not like talking about Wrestling or something?

No, but at a certain point, they've all discussed a topic 10, 20, 30 times, and they've had it. Then it's time for newbies to look through the archives. Also, a lot of the time, re-treads of old discussions are less intelligent than the old discussions. I'll be honest, unless a newbie wrote a brilliant essay on how "Bret Screwed Bret," I'd close a new "Bret Screwed Bret" thread. Because that topic has been done to death. And it's not worth a re-hash to read two paragraphs, from one new guy. Especially when three weeks' later, there's another new guy who wants to start ANOTHER "Bret Screwed Bret" thread. At some point, you just have to cut things off.

That's what The_W started doing long ago. Since they have a much more active board and many more posters than we do, they tend to ban more threads and prevent more types of discussion. Their rules about it are unwritten, but you would have figured them out if you'd read there for even a few days before posting. It's pretty clear what they like and don't like.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-16-2004 at 02:22 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bonestein
his wife is a bitch that has ruined any free conversation there

And why do I get the funny feeling there are a bunch of people who think the same way about another of the numerous moderators out there.

One thing I will mention to you Parvini...while these here forums may not be perfect or may not have the desired responses to what you post...they are the best there is in regards to wreestling forums.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12821
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 7-16-2004 at 02:35 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
while these here forums may not be perfect or may not have the desired responses to what you post...they are the best there is in regards to wreestling forums.

NOT PERFECT? NOT PERFECT?!??! BLASPHEMY!!! THESE FORUMS ARE OMG~! SO PERFECT OOH YEAH!!! OO RO>

I'm sorry, I haven't had much sleep lately...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Parvini
Banned

Posts 145
Registered 4-24-2004
Location UK

posted on 7-16-2004 at 10:45 PM Edit Post
I've always thought that OO was the best site and am convinced that these are the best forums but I ventured to The W after some dude (who's been banned here) emailed me and recommended I give it a shot. I did.

The first post I gave was basically a cut and paste of my first one from here:

"Dibiase, his de-push and hello to the forum"

I did the search for Dibiase and found that it had not been discussed.

CRZ found out it had come from OO and gave me a lot of heel heat for it.

I came back saying that the members of The W's forum hadn't discussed it and may have different views, I said that I was trying to broaden the debate and that, afterall, this is a wrestling forum and the topic remains a valid one.

The next thing I know he's closed the thread.

Now please, is that fair? Had they discussed Dibiase's title potential a million times? They hadn't - I checked.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, that board hasn't one iota of the intellegence of this one - a LOT of smarky wannabes there whose knowledge barely stretches before Austin.

I wont be going there too often!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself/ Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n" - John Milton

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 7-16-2004 at 10:56 PM Edit Post
Considering that a large number of people are registerd bothe here and there (myself included, why the heck would you think they would appreciate you recycling OO threads in their space.

Why wouldn't you just come up with something new?

Who wants soup?

ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 7-16-2004 at 11:16 PM Edit Post
quote:
after some dude (who's been banned here) emailed me and recommended I give it a shot.

He's been banned from here about 6 times. He's none too popular at The-W either. Distancing yourself from that guy is probably the best thing you can do to make friends here and there.

2HoT's right about cross-posters. There are a LOT of people on both boards. I think the only person who can get away with copying and pasting the same opinions on both boards is madiq. But he's probably the best non-columnist wrestling writer around.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

Parvini
Banned

Posts 145
Registered 4-24-2004
Location UK

posted on 7-16-2004 at 11:52 PM Edit Post
I have no idea who "that guy" is, I assumed he worked for TheW.com to be honest.

My only concern with regard to these forums is to talk wrestling, but I've found it incredibly difficuly on TheW.com, having read many of the threads there I can also say that I am not largely impressed.

I've read many of the threads here too, I don't always feel the need to comment, but they are, more often than not, very interesting. The threads on TheW.com just seem to be very Bret Hart/ Shawn Michaels-centric suggesting that, although there are a few posters who use both fourms, there are also quite a lot who are exclusive to the W.

I'm not a bad forum member I don't think. The threads I have started here have always garnered some degree of debate. More often than not I have questions to ask and more often than not the experts here help me out. I've a fairly detailed knowledge of wrestling and can offer my own views at times as well. It really seems to me that at TheW.com this doesn't seem to be what matters. What seems to matter there is staying on the right side of CRZ and knowing all the little idiosyncracies of the forum. What sort of "forum" is that?

I will go on the record and say that even Prowrestling.com and Wrestlecrap have better forums than TheW.com because at least there is some scope for debate. The anal retention of TheW.com's mods is reductive, they lock threads before they have even had time to blossom, they banish threads that aren't necessarily breaking their rules.

I will give it another chance for about a week or so but will probably end up getting band for... oh.. I don't know, talking about wrestling, whatever that is.

Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 7-17-2004 at 04:05 PM Edit Post
Can I offer you a little advice, Parvini?

If you're serious about engaging in open ideas, debate, etc. on The W, watch what people do for a while before you start another thread there. Like most message boards I encounter, they have a certain way of conducting themselves, certain "unspoken" rules and certain common courtesies.

Once you're comfortable with all that, THEN starting posting stuff (and use the search engine so that you're not starting a topic that wasn't just exhausted 3 weeks ago or something). And if they banish your topic for whatever reason, don't start complaining to them (good advice for this and other boards too).

The W.com IS a dictatorship - CRZ says that right in the rules. If you don't agree with that, then honestly, post somewhere else. I still post there frequently and as time has gone on, I've grown to AGREE with a lot of what's frowned upon. Not everything, but enough.

I've been there for over a year now, and I find I can get away with a lot more now that I understand what they're all about and demonstrate that.

The board is a great place to exchange ideas with serious wrestling fans (so is this board). It's all about knowing the rules and following them.

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
Parvini
Banned

Posts 145
Registered 4-24-2004
Location UK

posted on 7-18-2004 at 10:07 PM Edit Post
Alright Canadian Bulldog, I have read TheW.com's forum quite a bit now, I know the idiom in which to state my views, I've done the groundwork.

So can you tell me why this thread:http://the-w.com/thread.php/id=21222
Was originally banished? I'm not making a bad point there I don't think. It's a little obvious but nobody really states it explicitly, everyone takes it for granted that Kayfabe is dead, I'm not so sure it is.

I'm convinced that TheW.com is not a very nice place, but I'm afraid it's the second most intellegent board I've found so I'm pretty much stuck with it.

Parvini
Banned

Posts 145
Registered 4-24-2004
Location UK

posted on 7-18-2004 at 11:42 PM Edit Post
Amen to that! I have edited out the snarky comments quoted above, although with the degree comment I was under the impression that the mod was having a go at my punctuation and not the other dudes!

I hopefully will try to exist in harmony with the folks at TheW.com, I have to keep posting on there anyway becasue I just can't bear to see the word "jobber" next to Ted Dibiase's picture any more!

[Edited on 18/7/2004 by Parvini]

New Topic New Poll

go to top