The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: NWA:TNA made a good decision,new timeslot
Big Homey Shawn
Banned

Posts 12
Registered 4-24-2004

Mood:

posted on 5-6-2004 at 06:55 PM Edit Post
NWA:TNA made a good decision,new timeslot

They got a timeslot of 3pm on Fridays. Sure, I know what you thinking,you think it sucks.It really don't suck though.

They're going for a younger crowd. Which is always great,since most fans start watching wrestling when they young,I did. They can compete with the WWE in that department.

Since it's on Fox Sports,they will probably have alot of replays for the evening times.

They don't really have to worry about ratings.Fox Sports Net is a sports channel unlike Spike,MTV,USA,etc. They don't care about ratings, if so,TNA will be on at another time. In matter of fact, TNA will probably be the most watch thing on FSN which can only work in their advantage.

They really not competing with the WWE. Which is great for them because WWE would murder them.They is doing their own thing which is the safest thing to do.

AJ Styles,Raven and the X division on free tv,that's enough for me to watch.If TNA decides to bring back an old star,Hall and Sting is the only old wrestlers I want to see.

aka Golden Heat

Click here to see me in all my glory, getting banned the first time!!!!!!!

ConcreteTG
The Great One

Posts 3613
Registered 10-6-2002
Location sitting on a guardrail

Mood: Heroic

posted on 5-6-2004 at 07:02 PM Edit Post
When does this fall into place? I need to start setting my VCR.......

Just so I can shoot rubber bands at my tv every time I see Vince Russo

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   ConcreteTG 's Aim
Big Homey Shawn
Banned

Posts 12
Registered 4-24-2004

Mood:

posted on 5-6-2004 at 07:21 PM Edit Post
June 4th

Vince Russo has actually been good lately. No bullsh!t angles like Smackdown is doing now.

Everything is build around a title,kind of like Raw except NWA have more people chasing after the NWA title.

aka Golden Heat

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:54 PM Edit Post
Based on the very little information that I've read about this over the last few months:

1) They don't have to concern themselves with ratings since this isn't actual FSN programmings. Its an informercial. TNA is PAYING FSN to air their shows, so it could draw nobody and FSN wouldn't care, as long as they got paid. So TNA has to pray that they get enough advertising and/or interest in their PPVs to make this work out. Or that they get blow away ratings so that they can score a real deal somewhere.

2) The 3 PM slot appears to not be staggered. So (if that's the case) we're talking, what, noon on the West Coast? Even if you believe that Friday at 3 is a good slot it appears to get worse the further west you go. And of course I'm not sure how this slot works for getting kids because that seems like it might inflict with some school times (or heaven forbid, in the summer, the time kids should be outside).

3) I see no reason to believe that FSN will automatically air multiple replays of the show... especially if the reports of it being essentially an informercial are true. I suppose they'll do it if the deal dictates it but just presuming that's the case because they do it with their original programming seems silly.

4) TNA has as much stupid booking and stories (and sometimes more) as Smackdown, RAW or whatever other company/federation/brand. Lets not be silly and start making up things like that. Its a subjective matter... maybe you prefer TNA to Smackdown. But its pretty much the same "sports entertainment" product that WWE puts out.

EDIT: because of all those ugly spelling errors and typos. Of course Shawn went and quoted me completely so I guess I'm screwed here. My stupidity is exposed.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Big Homey Shawn
Banned

Posts 12
Registered 4-24-2004

Mood:

posted on 5-6-2004 at 10:26 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLopez
Based on the very little information that I've read about this over the last few months:

1) They don't have to concern themselves with ratings since this isn't actual FSN programmings. Its an informercial. TNA is PAYING FSN to air their shows, so it could draw nobody and FSN wouldn't care, as long as they got paid. So TNA has to pray that they get enough advertising and/or interest in their PPVs to make this work out. Or that they blow away ratings so that they can score a real deal somewhere.

2) The 3 PM slot appears to not be staggered. So (if that's the case) we're talking, what, noon on the West Coast? Even if you believe that Friday at 3 is a good slot it appears to get worse the further west you go. Abd if ciyrse I'm not sure how this slot works for getting kids because that seems like it might inflict with some school times (or heaven forbid, in the summer, the time kids should be outside).

3) I see no reason to believe that FSN will automatically aire multiple replays of the show... especially if the reports of it being essentially an informercial are true. I suppose they'll do it if the deal dictates it but just presuming that's the case because they do it with their original programming seems silly.

4) TNA has as much stupid booking and stories (and sometimes more) as Smackdown, RAW or whatever other company/federation/brand. Lets not be silly and start making up things like that. Its a subjective matter... maybe you prefer TNA to Smackdown. But its pretty much the same "sports entertainment" product that WWE puts out.

It's not infomercials

TNA hasn't had a stupid storyline all year.

aka Golden Heat

Stormtrooper
The Great One

Posts 3635
Registered 1-5-2002
Location under glass ceiling

Mood:

posted on 5-6-2004 at 10:50 PM Edit Post
' in the summer, the time kids should be outside '

You sound like somebody's Mum.

THE CHAMP

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 5-6-2004 at 11:21 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Homey Shawn
It's not infomercials

Thank you for clearing that up! I ask seriously, do you have a reason to say that? You provided no source for your news and all the sites that I have read it at have not specified whether it is or it isn't. On the other hand I've read from most every web source in the last few weeks/months that this deal was looking more and more like it would be TNA purchasing TV time than FSN giving them TV time. This was a major point of contention since (a) TNA is generally regarded/reported to be in poor/rough financial shape and (b) they had reportedly passed on a deal with WGN earlier this year because it would have meant them having to purchase TV time. If you have someone reporting what the true nature of this deal is, please, by all means provide me (us) with a link or the quote or something. Otherwise I have to lend a little more support to what the observer or the torch or pwinsider has been saying for the last month or two than what Big Homey Shawn said yesterday. I hope you'll understand.

quote:
TNA hasn't had a stupid storyline all year.

Look... I'm a TNA fan. Most of the folks here know that. But I'm also a realistic TNA fan. They have overly "SE" stories as much as WWE has and more than a few of them fail. Some "stupid" or "silly" storylines they've had this year (even if I might have enjoyed one or two)?
  • David Young, mired in a feud with the Insane Clown Posse, reveals that he is deathly afraid of clowns. Glen Gilberti proceeds to try and treat him as an amateur psychiatrist to rid him of this fear.
  • Raven is betrayed by his Gathering (CM Punk & Julio Dinero) in a move that excites American indy fans all over (due to a reportedly outstanding Raven/Punk feud that had just concluded in ROH) only to have the feud reduced to no mic time for Punk (regarded as one of the best mic men in the indies), no RAVEN, the bizarre insertion of the Sandman and a revolving door of former ECW wrestlers clearly past their prime and with little interest, the unceremonious destruction of the Gathering upon Raven's return (not to mention the complete dismissal of Terry Funk, Sandman, Balls Mahoney, Mikey Whipwreck and anyone else who might have snuck into the feud), the complete and utter dismissal of a promising young tag team (and one of the top rated workers in American indies) from the company and Raven quickly turning heel.
  • Simon Diamond, former NWA and ECW tag team champion, announces to the world that he will rid himself of his silly character and wrestle as himself... "Irish" Pat Kenney. He does this mere moments before entering into battle (with Sonny Siaki and Desire, you know... Irish) against the "NYC", a group comprised of Italian New Yorkers Trinity, Glen Gilberti and Johnny Swinger... the three of whom apparently betrayed Diamond/Kenney due to him being a damned Irish New Yorker (although that was never quite clear since TNA decided to make the two promos/announcements in the order opposite of what would seem to have helped explain the story).
  • Goldylocks, generally untalented and not particularly attractive mic stand/wannabe pop singer/occasional valet/skank, betrays her boyfriend Erik Watts to cost him his "Director of Authority" position in order to gain a more profitable position as Don Callis' plaything. Unfortunatelly Callis left TNA a week or so later to become a schoolteacher and Goldylocks was left to roam the hallways of TNA cursing Erik Watts' name, calling him a failure as a man, insulting all men and generally "losing her mind." She would reemerge soon after to take control of Abyss, only doing so while wearing multiple disguises (such as "German dominatrix" and "Barrio girl") and with no admission/recollection of such actions.
  • El Leon.
  • The signing of Johnny Fairplay, allegedly the most hated man in the world. Having made a name for himself as an exciting member of Survivor Johnny proved to be of absolutely no use or interest to the wrestling world. A number of pointless and painful appearences, a very bad "talk show" (devoted to insulting its would be guest Joanie Laurer/Chyna), a feud with AJ Styles of all people, and Johnny appears to be gone. In the end he wasn't even able to accomplish what many thought was TNA's hope, to get them some mainstream exposure. In Johnny's one appearence on daytime television he didn't even bother to give the name of the wrestling company for which he was working for (which was only mentioned since he was wearing a neckbrace). The NFL's Brian Urlacher succeeded in getting TNA more exposure for a less hyped, less expensive and one shot appearence.
  • Bound for Glory.
  • In an effort by Don Callis to torture AJ Styles he books him to face the tag team champions Redshit Security partnered with his rival Abyss. Styles, of course, wins. The following weeks see Styles and Abyss competing in match after match to decide who would be the tag champions - the format of this tournament/series constantly changing. After a table match, a ladder match, a surprise appearence by Lex Luger and a completely cancelled tag match to decide the champions TNA decides to HOLD UP THE TITLES and takes Abyss and Styles clear out of the issue.
  • Jerry Lynn is fired as the captain of NWA's X Cup team... only to be reinstated as the captain a week later with no explanation or reasoning given for any of it to have happened.
  • On the night that Chris Harris wrestles champion Jeff Jarrett a #1 contender is decided in a match between AJ Styles and Abyss. In another match to determine the rest of the rankings for TNA Ron Killings wins a 10 man gauntlet. On a seperate issue Raven declines to enter into any of these matches, instead demanding a title match of his own. Abyss wins his match to become the #1 contender... only to then be put into a match with Ron Killings. The winner of that match would then be the #1 contender... only to then be put into a match with Harris for a shot at the world title. Only before this a variety of messes leads to Abyss/Killings being changed to Abyss/Styles/Killings/Raven, the winner of which would face Harris to determine the #1 contender. Harris ends up defeating Raven, only to be assaulted by Raven the night of his title shot and have it be awarded to AJ Styles, despite him having lost two matches to win a title shot and being the ONLY man involved to not win a single one of these matches.

Can I stop now? I like TNA and its a little annoying to go back and recount every really bad case of lack of logic or stupid storyline since January. And hell, if you let me go back a whole year we could find some REALLY bad stuff. TNA is as guilty (if not more) as the WWE in this regard... Hell, even ROH, a company based in excellent wrestling and "no gimmicks" has quite a few stupid/silly gimmicks and storylines. Now, maybe TNA doesn't have anything quite as silly as a fairly untalented, unpopular and dull wrestler getting a main event push due to loyalty from the booker *COUGHElLeonCOUGH* but to somehow put it as some sort of alternative to the wasteland that is Smackdown is quite ludicrous.

Why did I just write a huge, detailed and (I think) intelligent response to someone I half expect to answer back with "They is more better then SMackdown!.TNA be having all kinds of great matches and Russo write no bullsh!t like WWE."?

EDIT: Trooper, . If thinking that kids should actually do things during the nicest days of the year during the most carefree years of their lives besides sit around and watch tv, play video games and talk on the internet makes me sound like a mom... so be it.

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by LuckyLopez]

• View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
    ModSquad
    Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
    Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 5-6-2004 at 11:42 PM Edit Post
    BHS,

In case you were wondering why you weren't banned the moment you identified yourself as "golden heat," here's why: if you weren't here, I couldn't see LuckyLopez whale on you like that.

Love,
    Mod

P.S. -- USE. THE. FUCKING. SPACE. BAR!

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

Big Homey Shawn
    Banned

Posts 12
    Registered 4-24-2004

Mood:

posted on 5-7-2004 at 03:01 AM Edit Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ModSquad
    BHS,

In case you were wondering why you weren't banned the moment you identified yourself as "golden heat," here's why: if you weren't here, I couldn't see LuckyLopez whale on you like that.

Love,
    Mod

P.S. -- USE. THE. FUCKING. SPACE. BAR!

Why do people bring up old stuff and speak off topic on here?

You is one of the reason why this forum is one of the worst on the net.411mania.com,WEFORUMS.com,TPWWforums.com is all better than this shit.

aka Golden Heat

JLRuckus
    Showstopper

Posts 512
    Registered 2-1-2002
    Location Atlanta, GA

Mood: Loopy

posted on 5-7-2004 at 03:09 AM Edit Post
    Wow, that sure degenerated, let's try to get it back to the topic.

I don't think this is as bad of an idea as some people do. Ratings aren't the complete goal for the show, they want people to see this FSN show and then order the PPV's on Wednesdays.

It is an infomercial. TNA is paying for the time, the rumored amount is in the $30K per show range. TNA does get to sell its own advertising, they'll be able to make a little bit of money back there. Throw out advertising, and they need 3000 additional people to order the Wednesday PPV to pay for the time on FSN. I think it's feasible.

It's a ballsy move, but I think it's one that needed to be done for TNA to possibly to move onto the next step. They could stay at the level they're at now for a good while, but this is a shot to expose the product to new people and give them a reason to shell out $10 on Wednesdays.

TNA has had its share of botched angles, but I have enjoyed it more than Smackdown for quite a while now. The in ring action on TNA is what has made me a loyal customer since the 4th show they had. I think it is a little bit different product than what WWE is putting out, especially lately. For the past month or so, I've liked TNA nearly as much as Raw, and more than Smackdown.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   JLRuckus 's Aim
    ModSquad
    Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
    Registered 1-30-2003

posted on 5-7-2004 at 03:13 AM Edit Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Homey Shawn
    Why do people bring up old stuff and speak off topic on here?

You is one of the reason why this forum is one of the worst on the net.411mania.com,WEFORUMS.com,TPWWforums.com is all better than this shit.

Then I'm doing you a favor. OO will keep you from them no more!

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

LuckyLopez
    Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
    Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 5-7-2004 at 03:52 AM Edit Post
    Damn it, Prime! Did you ban him? Now how am I going to force him to face reality and call him the moron that he is given the simple fact that he got pissed that YOU got "off topic" but failed to respond to my "on topic" responses to him? Maaaaan... there goes that fun...

Oh I'm kidding... good riddance. He probably never would have addressed reality anyway. They rarely do. And I'm sorry for raising my voice, Mr. Mod.

JLRuckus, eh, I'm past the point of trying to figure out TNA's backstage workings. Maybe this will work out for them, maybe it won't. Maybe they'll draw the PPV viewers, maybe they'll make back the cost of the show on their new sleazy shakedown of all their contracted workers. I can't figure out HOW TNA is run these days or what they're always thinking... Here's hoping it works but given that I don't even know what the content or format of the show will be (2 hour show of stories and big matches; 1 hour of filler with one or two reasons to watch; a big ole' infomercial for the PPV) I have no way to judge this.

But you're right. They had to make SOME kind of change or move... I'm not sure this is the one I would have made but then again there's a reason I'm here and not there.

Really... I just wanted to pick on the kid making "ebonics" look bad.

[Edited on 5-7-2004 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
    Lorey Mysterio
    Fella

Posts 272
    Registered 2-23-2004
    Location Middle of the woods on a dead end road, NY

Mood: Nerdy

posted on 5-7-2004 at 03:54 AM Edit Post
    Big Homey Shawn: "You is one of the reason why this forum is one of the worst on the net.411mania.com,WEFORUMS.com,TPWWforums.com is all better than this shit. "

That is interesting. I checked out 411mania and LOP before coming here, and this is the ONLY place I have found where people are capable of carrying on intelligent conversations.

And by the way, I'm not usually a stickler for grammar but, you ARE one of the reasons, and those websites ARE all better than this one. Not is. That drives me insane and makes you sound like you are about 13 and repeating the 5th grade for the 3rd time. If you are going to insult ModSquad or OO, at least use grown up speak.

I've changed my mind so much I can't even trust it. My mind's changed me so much I can't even trust myself.
    www.facebook.com/violentlyopposedtojustabouteverything

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Lorey+Mysterio 's Aim
    JLRuckus
    Showstopper

Posts 512
    Registered 2-1-2002
    Location Atlanta, GA

posted on 5-7-2004 at 04:07 AM Edit Post
    Lucky: I'm probably not the most objective when it comes to TNA. Watching it since the beginning, I've kind of grown attached to it and really want to see them succeed.

I've actually really liked the direction since the "Wrestling Reinvented" campaign was announced. I'm just hoping they don't spend a whole bunch of money bringing in guys like Hogan, Nash, and Hall now that they have a form of national TV. If they have the money to ride it out (which I'm not sure if they do), pushing the guys that are different from WWE top guys (Styles, Low Ki, Daniels, Raven, Killings somewhat) could be what makes them successful.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   JLRuckus 's Aim
    ModSquad
    Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
    Registered 1-30-2003

posted on 5-7-2004 at 04:13 AM Edit Post
    Lorey, you might not want to try, because those people never learn, and he ain't around here no more anyway. People who threaten to put a virus on the board the first time they're here don't last long.

If I'm the reason why people like him think OO is the worst board out there, then I'd like to apologize for our firm policy of making morons hate OO by making fun of them all of the time.

LuckyLopez
    Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
    Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 5-7-2004 at 04:19 AM Edit Post
    Ruckus, I have enjoyed damn near everything TNA has done on their shows the last couple of months (during the "Wrestling Reinvented" era). I'm definatelly not knocking the product. And I too am quite attached to it... I always prefered the WCW/TNA simpler product to WWF/E's polished overdone product...

But off camera, with their backstage stuff I just don't know. Between the ROH mess, Bound for Glory, all the apparent attempts (and failures) to rope big name talent with questionable upsides (I'm focusing far less on Hogan, Nash and Hall - all of whom have some use - and more on Chyna here), this iffy TV situation, their recent contract issues, the possability that they could be pissing off their roster, some of their personel choices... I just don't understand their plan for success. Its beginning to worry me that they are highly overestimating their ability to become "#2" anytime soon and are making this big, risky moves with the idea that they will pay off quickly. I picture a MUCH brighter and longer future for them if they got a little more grounded and realized they were an indy and closer to ECW than WCW... but as I said, I'm not exactly an experienced promotor to really make judgement on this.

I hope this works for them. I REALLY do. I'm just not sure how a 3 PM weekday timeslot that they're dishing a ton of money out for (not only the fees but the extra costs for performers and transportation) on a high up cable channel is going to work out huge for them... let alone a noon one.

Lorey Mysterio
    Fella

Posts 272
    Registered 2-23-2004
    Location Middle of the woods on a dead end road, NY

Mood: Nerdy

posted on 5-7-2004 at 04:21 AM Edit Post
    ModSquad, you is so stupit youdont know nothin boutrunnin a stupit board anyway. BigHomeyShawnn rokt the hizzy anyou jus dint knowno better. sillymod.

Yeah, I know he will never learn, but for the most part I never read anything he posted anyway. Because using the word 'is' instead of 'are' is one of the few things that will drive me absolutely nuts when I'm trying to read. I finally read one post too many, (and being the one insulting the board), and decided the misuse of the word 'is' had to end.

But fortunately, you used your banning stick to rid all of us of this little language murdering fiend.

I've changed my mind so much I can't even trust it. My mind's changed me so much I can't even trust myself.
    www.facebook.com/violentlyopposedtojustabouteverything

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Lorey+Mysterio 's Aim
    MrJustinB
    Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1636
    Registered 1-18-2003

Mood: Blue and Orange

posted on 5-7-2004 at 05:04 PM Edit Post
    This has little to do with asshat's banning, and more to do with TNA.

Don Callis is still doing indy stuff. He runs an indy through Manitoba and into Ontario, and I've had the chance to catch the shows when they come through town. The promotion is called No Hold Barred Wrestling, and is part of the NWA. the shows aren't mindblowing, but TBay gets no live wrestling as it is, so it generally does pretty well.

So, I'm not sure if this coming show will be the last stand for NWA-NHB, or what. But, the show is being called "Raven Calling", and yes, Raven is showing up to wrestle. Should be fun.

So, what did this have to do with anything? Nothing really. Just LL bringing up Don reminded me.

"I want to make this shit cool again." - CM Punk

Attitude Adjuster
    Making Mods Submit Since March, 2007

Posts 2343
    Registered 8-13-2003
    Location Parts Unknown

Mood: y Jack Melendez

posted on 5-7-2004 at 06:13 PM Edit Post
    I think this is a great idea because it bring TNA to an audience unwilling to pay $10 a week to view the show. That would be dedicated wrestling fans like...me.

I'm interested in what they are doing and would like to see the show. Now I have the opportunity to see TNA, thanks to that brilliant modern day invention called...a VCR! Anyone who thinks they can't view the show because it's on at 3 p.m. or noon on Friday isn't the audience TNA wants because that person has no buying power.

As for paying for time, a lot of small professional sports did that to start with. The indoor football league did for many years before NBC picked them up, pro beach volleyball did for a long time, pro bowling does, and most of the smaller sports on ESPN, Fox, SpeedVision, Outdoor Life (small market auto racing, surfing, pool, etc.) do the same. It's a way to get long-term exposure. In the case of indoor football, it works successfully.

Bottom line: I can't wait.

Oh, and I appreciate the Mod-man for expelling Golden Heat-boy. Thanks for keeping the forums above an IQ we can count wthout taking off our shoes. Though I'm also appreciative that Mod-man waited until Lucky could roast him.

So Lucky, where's that verbal bombast in the OO Baseball leagues?

Sting is the dumbest man in wrestling. That's a well established fact. I'd personally find it offensive and out of character if Sting didn't volunteer to do the stupid thing.
    --Lucky Lopez

JLRuckus
    Showstopper

Posts 512
    Registered 2-1-2002
    Location Atlanta, GA

posted on 5-7-2004 at 07:23 PM Edit Post
    I haven't been quite as upset with some of the off-camera stuff as some people. The booking hasn't been perfect, but it's been good for the most part. The contract issue is, IMO, understandable. As much as some other indies don't want to admit it, TNA gives these guys exposure that they can't. I don't think it should cause a problem with the guys under contract, I really hope that it doesn't.

Hopefully, the move here isn't as much of a financial risk as we're thinking it could be. I would rather see them spend this money on the FSN show than bringing a big money talent in. I'm just really hoping it works out.

LuckyLopez
    Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
    Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 5-7-2004 at 07:49 PM Edit Post
    AA, its waiting for me to win a few games. As long as I'm mired in 8th and 13th place my mouth is shut...

And as to the timeslot... I get what you're saying about the VCR (even if my VCR is a piece of crap and has no timer so I'm still screwed). I think the problem is that its just out of place. Its the same reason I watch/tape RAW every Monday night... I've just been doing it forever. Its part of my routine. I think the Wednesday night shows were a pretty good call because they stood out enough that people could make them part of their routine. This Friday afternoon deal is just... eh. I mean, I was a diehard ECW fan but I don't think I saw half a dozen episodes of it on TNN. In fact, I think I probably saw more live ECW shows during that period than TNN episodes. And I was still watching the syndicated one at 2 AM Saturday mornings along with heading out to multiple NYC venues to see them. It wasn't the product... the show just didn't fit into my routine.

Justin, I didn't think Callis was retired totally. I thought the story was that he was getting a teaching job so he couldn't do the Wednesday PPVs anymore, but he could still do weekend work. But I didn't bother to go and find it for the sake of Shawn up there.

Ruckus, I too think the contract things are understandable. By all accounts they haven't done anything that wasn't in the contracts way back when the wrestlers' signed them. They just seem to be enforcing stipulations they weren't before... which is fair, even if its a bit sleazy. But I'm as concerned about TNA hurting themselves as hurting the indies. They've now effectively closed the door on a number of top notch ROH workers as well as risk losing some of the ones they have. We won't see CM Punk back. We'll probably never see the Briscoes, Samoa Joe or Homicide. I think we can effectively kiss the idea of Spanky goodbye. Teddy Hart appears to be on the outs. TNA's just building a wall around themselves and it works both ways. Maybe Daniels and Styles can't get out for a little while... but a lot of guys can't get in either. And the effects of the latter will probably last longer than the contracts (God knows if these guys won't reup on their contracts or if they'll even have an opportunity... I'm just speculating).

And again, I have no idea what TNA's true financial status is. Maybe this TV deal isn't a huge risk. For all we know they could have been making money these last 2 years. The Jarretts have kept all info pretty close to the vest. And I'm with you. I rather see them take the risk by expanding in this sort of way rather than spending $500,000 to get Savage for 10 minutes.

Attitude Adjuster
    Making Mods Submit Since March, 2007

Posts 2343
    Registered 8-13-2003
    Location Parts Unknown

Mood: y Jack Melendez

posted on 5-7-2004 at 11:46 PM Edit Post
    When we're talking money in and money out for television programming, it's not that much as long as the program can pull in a few advertisers. The thing to watch will be the commercials: see in the breaks how many obvious filler commercials there are, how many public service announcements and FOX programming ads and how many truly paid advertisements.

That's what killed ECW on TNN, not just the ratings. I would tape the shows on Friday nights and then watch them sometime during the weekend. As I FF through the commercials, I was amazed at how many non-paying spots there were. ECW just couldn't attract advertisers.

All TNA needs is a few (two, maybe three) advertisers and they can make money. I don't know the exact financial specs on paid television, but Friday at noon/3 p.m. can be much more expensive to buy than say 2 a.m. on a weekday. Nothing gets expensive (especially on a sports channel) until at the earliest 4 p.m. on the West Coast and 7 p.m. on the East Coast.

Let's see if they can pull a Chevrolet, a Target, a Viagra (don't laugh, I'm thinking NASCAR advertising) and start making money, hiring new stars and get the ball rolling. It would be nice for there to be some competition in wrestling again.

Sting is the dumbest man in wrestling. That's a well established fact. I'd personally find it offensive and out of character if Sting didn't volunteer to do the stupid thing.
    --Lucky Lopez

The Bad Guy
    Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1280
    Registered 10-27-2002

Mood: About to change

posted on 5-8-2004 at 03:00 AM Edit Post
    So this is in addition to the Wednesday PPV's, not in place of them?

New Topic New Poll

go to top