The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Now Playing
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12817
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA
Member Is Online

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-17-2006 at 09:15 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
I've been really into the Shins lately, and Jeb also introduced me to Muse, which I've been jamming to nonstop.

Muse is awesome. I'm actually learning how to play "Hysteria" on bass right now. It's fucking fun to play.

I am digging the hell out of the Wolfmother album. Love that classic rock sound.

[Edited on 6-17-2006 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 6-18-2006 at 01:01 PM Edit Post
I agree. Wolfmother is fucking awesome.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

GatorBait
CancerBait

Posts 4469
Registered 10-22-2004

Mood: OH FUCK YEAH!!!

posted on 6-19-2006 at 12:34 PM Edit Post
yeah, Wolfmother fucking rocks in that awesome "classic rock" way...

and I must be the only person in the world who doesn't "get" Radiohead... i LOVED their first album (the one with "Creep" ), but then they got all fucking bizarre on me... since then I've liked Karma Police, but that's been about it... well, that and the cover of "Wish You Were Here"...

and therein lies my internal struggle as to why I can't get into Radiohead... I'm a HUGE Pink Floyd fan... even their album Umma Gumma which has some of THE most random shit thrown together on an album... but I still dig it... I just can't get into Radiohead and I don't know why...

maybe somebody knows a good segue band that'd help me?!?

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by GatorBait]

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 6-19-2006 at 01:41 PM Edit Post
You're not the only person around here that doesn't like Radiohead, Gator. If you went back about three years into the archives, you'd find plenty of instances where I lambasted the band, pissing off many people in the process. In fact, I blame myself for turning people off from discussing music. There used to be a lot more discussion in this section back in the day, but I think people got tired of me ragging on Radiohead and Metallica (and possibly a few others). I don't do it anymore. I learned quite some time ago that it really doesn't matter that others like what I like and that registering my disdain for those bands needn't be any longer than making the statement, "I don't like them."

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

tills24
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1246
Registered 7-22-2005
Location New Haven, birthplace of the hamburger sandwich.

Mood:

posted on 6-19-2006 at 01:52 PM Edit Post
Gator, it's funny, I can't stand Pink Floyd, and I love Radiohead. The two records I named (The Bends and OK Computer) are my two favorites by them. The next two (Kid A and Amnesiac) got a little too "out there" for me (although I saw them aroudn that time, and live the songs were awesome). They're last one (Hail to the Theif) I liked a lot. It was a lot closer to being a "rock" record than the last two had been.

"I may not be a class act, but I'm an American." -- Ron Artest on wanting to play for the Olympic team

salmonjunkie

Posts 12817
Registered 6-25-2002
Member Is Online

posted on 6-19-2006 at 02:35 PM Edit Post
I really dig Radiohead, especially their live show. I don't like their first album at all, but like all the rest.

This sounds funny, but I've been listening to a LOT of old INXS. And the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album, "Stadium Arcadium". It's not as good as Californication, I don't get jazzed for double albums, and at first I didn't like it, but it's growing on me a lot. The Frusciante's guitar work and Flea's bass is just awesome on it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
dudelebowski
ButtViper

Posts 9
Registered 6-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 6-19-2006 at 09:15 PM Edit Post
and I must be the only person in the world who doesn't "get" Radiohead...

maybe somebody knows a good segue band that'd help me?!?

[Edited on 6-19-2006 by GatorBait]

I could see how some people don't "get" Radiohead. I am a huge fan of both Radiohead and Pink Floyd. Anyone who is a fan of one but not the other I would recommend My Morning Jacket.

I think the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album is alot better than Californication (maybe it's because I haven't heard every song from the album a hundred times on the radio) but I agree with salmonjunkie, Frusciante's guitar work on the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album is fantastic.

no...not on the rug...man.

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 6-20-2006 at 03:00 PM Edit Post
I know I had many of the Metallica arguments with you years back Slade. Iím not a Radiohead fan though so you can bash away.

I did get into a real good argument on if St. Anger would outsell the new Radiohead album. Iím pretty sure I won that one.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Spinch
Fella

Posts 412
Registered 5-18-2006

Mood:

posted on 6-20-2006 at 03:39 PM Edit Post
Right now (while I pretend to work), I'm listening to Gnarls Barkley: St. Elsewhere. Not what I usually listen to, but after a day of having "Crazy" stuck in my head, I figured that I might as well give the rest of the album a listen. Pretty enjoyable.

As soon as this CD is done, I'm going to swap in... hmm... let's go with some Rush. 2112. Ooohyeah.

GatorBait
CancerBait

Posts 4469
Registered 10-22-2004

posted on 6-20-2006 at 03:43 PM Edit Post
goddammit, why does anybody in the universe like Rush?!?

salmonjunkie

Posts 12817
Registered 6-25-2002
Member Is Online

posted on 6-20-2006 at 07:36 PM Edit Post
I listened to Skid Row's "Slave To The Grind" last night for the first time in a over a decade. I liked it. Should I be ashamed?

Also, Murs & 9th Wonder's "Murray's Revenge" is currently my favorite hip hop album of the year. Check it out.

dudelebowski
ButtViper

Posts 9
Registered 6-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 6-21-2006 at 12:23 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by GatorBait

I think the problem with Rush is most people are only familiar with the shit that gets played on the radio over and over (i.e. Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, etc...) But as Spinch has pointed out everything pre-'Signals' (which includes 2112) is the best stuff. But I can see why some people can't stand them.

no...not on the rug...man.

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 6-21-2006 at 12:42 AM Edit Post
now playing: Helloween's cover of Lay All Your Love on Me by Abba

kickass!

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
DevoniusMaximus
I do not know the secret of avatars

Posts 971
Registered 9-30-2003
Location Hamilton, OH

Mood: Subversive

posted on 6-21-2006 at 01:01 AM Edit Post
For the last month I've been cycling between:

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
and
Angels and Airwaves - We Don't need to Whisper

I love the Angels album. It's a little soft rock and a little Emo but it's also heavily influenced by U2. Very nice to listen to while chilling.

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 6-21-2006 at 01:12 AM Edit Post
I believe the first argument I got into on this very board was one with Slade. I believe ours was a Metallica-Beastie Boys tift

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
courtney
Showstopper

Posts 606
Registered 11-28-2005
Location The Boro

Mood: Off the Wall

posted on 6-21-2006 at 03:28 AM Edit Post
Kinda glad I wasn't around back then.

Now Playing: "Mr. Roboto" by Styx. Fuck yeah!

My Awesome Space

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   courtney 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie

Posts 12817
Registered 6-25-2002
Member Is Online

posted on 6-21-2006 at 08:19 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by metallikid
I did get into a real good argument on if St. Anger would outsell the new Radiohead album. Iím pretty sure I won that one.

You won by a landslide, actually.

quote:
Originally posted by courtneyNow Playing: "Mr. Roboto" by Styx. Fuck yeah!

Ok, now I don't feel so bad about liking the Skid Row album.

[Edited on 6-21-2006 by salmonjunkie]

GatorBait
CancerBait

Posts 4469
Registered 10-22-2004

posted on 6-21-2006 at 01:35 PM Edit Post
from my previous posts it's pretty obvious that i'm mainly a rock/alternative fan... but sometimes I'm in the mood for some other stuff... so Now Playing for GatorBait:

"Look Into My Eyes" by Bone Thugz 'N' Harmony

gotta love it anytime a human voice is effectively used as another instrument...

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9488
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-21-2006 at 11:29 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I listened to Skid Row's "Slave To The Grind" last night for the first time in a over a decade. I liked it. Should I be ashamed?

"Slave to the Grind" is in one of my CD cases in my car right now, Junkie. Great album. The opening riff of "Monkey Business" still rules all.

I've been addicted to Coheed and Cambria's most recent album "Burning Star IV" or something like that, it's a long-ass name. Their songs are amazing and the musicianship is tight as hell. I want to get their earlier CDs as well.

I've been on a huge Type O Negative kick lately as well. I've always been a fan but didn't get the majority of their CDs until recently. "October Rust" in my opinion, is their best work, though all of their CDs are awesome in their own ways.

Spinch
Fella

Posts 412
Registered 5-18-2006

Mood:

posted on 6-22-2006 at 03:55 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by GatorBait

I was raised on it. Yeah, sometimes the lyrics can be pretentious, sometimes they use too much synth... but they're just one of my favorites.

tills24
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1246
Registered 7-22-2005
Location New Haven, birthplace of the hamburger sandwich.

Mood:

posted on 6-23-2006 at 02:23 PM Edit Post
NP - Nirvana Unplugged

Doesn't get much better than this.

"I may not be a class act, but I'm an American." -- Ron Artest on wanting to play for the Olympic team

salmonjunkie

Posts 12817
Registered 6-25-2002
Member Is Online

posted on 6-23-2006 at 04:46 PM Edit Post
I've been listening to INXS: The Years a whole hell of a lot, but mostly certain songs off the collection. I think I've heard "Stay Young", "Don't Change", "Listen Like Thieves", "Need You Tonight","Mystify", and "Suicide Blonde" at least twice a week in the last 2 months.

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 6-26-2006 at 04:31 PM Edit Post
Iíve really into Tool/A Perfect Circle lately. Iíve been listenly to 10,000 Days a lot but I still reach for Undertow more often then not.

Jeb, I too remember Mod003ís editing. It was pretty funny. These threads did break down into flames fairly often but I wish weíd have a little more life in here. We could use a good hot button thread in here.

Edit: Wow, I just went back and reread the threads from the Summer of 2003. I think the first few I made some good points although at times I did sound like I was 12. Jesus Christ I canít believe I wrote ďMaster of PuppetzĒ What a dumb fuck! Aside from 12 yr old marking out I thought I made good points. I took the brunt of the Anti-Metallica Heat and maybe it was somewhat justified for the 10 or so topics in one month but one odd thing was that I didnít start all those topics. Either way there was a CLEAR case of noob hazing going on especially when Bonestein jumped on. I think Iíll keep these threads in the back of my mind for any newbies who run into trouble with board regulars. I ate a little crow and tried to show the board regulars I could be a part of the community. It looked like most of the posters backed off me now 3 years later Iím still here, sitting at 3,000+ posts, and most of them about various different topics and not about the band that is my namesake. That was a very insightful look back into history.

[Edited on 6-26-2006 by metallikid]

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

salmonjunkie

Posts 12817
Registered 6-25-2002
Member Is Online

posted on 6-26-2006 at 06:00 PM Edit Post
You know what, Metallikid? I still hate you for the National Championships.

GatorBait
CancerBait

Posts 4469
Registered 10-22-2004

posted on 6-26-2006 at 06:09 PM Edit Post
and i bet you're still jealous about this, too:

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top