The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: A change in Triple H's attitude, or not?
The_Insider
Banned

Posts 78
Registered 3-30-2004
Location Idiotville

Mood:

posted on 4-6-2004 at 06:37 PM Edit Post
This all depends on what the fed has planned, but I will defend my own booking genius by saying the following:

If Backlash is supposed to cement Benoit as a dominant and credible champion then a) HHH should not be doing the angle with SHelton at all. Rather, he should be dominating everyone leading up to the return match. b) Michaels & Benoit should not playing kissy face. they should be feuding, after all, the match was origionally a one on one match.

If HHH is supposed to get the belt back at Backlash, then whatever he does in the meantime doesn't mean anything, unless they are setting Shelton up as a future world title contender (which I seriously doubt).

My point that Shelton should have got the win via pinfall is because the fed obviously wants to put im over, so let him go over strong. It doesn't hurt HHH to go into Backlash on a losing streak, doubting his own ability. In fact, it adds drama.

The point about Benoit not being the total package is a good one. But the booking is not helping him. The main event of Backlash is a three way between Benoit, Michaels, and HHH. However, HHH is the star of the show ina feud with Shelton, Benoit is beating low card tag wrestlers and Michaels is just wandering around backstage annoying people (including me). Where is the heat on this match??

This is not a public forum - it's a forum for ignorant fanboys who have no clue what the business is about and have no desire to know. Why don't you all start a backyard fed together - you have that mentality.

promoter2003
The Rowdy One

Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 4-6-2004 at 06:49 PM Edit Post
I'm going to have to say that Benjamin's match last night was some good storytelling. I think Benjamin winning by pin again might have been over doing it. The way he won was outsmarting all of Evolution and it didn't make Evolution look bad. The beatdown also made us remember why we are suppose to hate this group. Well done.

As for the triple threat I think the fed wants to think HBK and Benoit are all chummy chummy, but perhaps something will go down between the two shortly. The reason I say this is that if Trips is off to film a movie then the natural progression would be to do HBK/Benoit for the title soon after. If they are smart it could really brew in Calgary the following night of Backlash.

Trips will perhaps continue his losing streak with another championship loss. He leaves for whatever reason to ponder and returns ready to get back into his groove.

Endo
Fella

Posts 454
Registered 4-30-2002
Location Virginia Beach

Mood: hypoxic

posted on 4-6-2004 at 10:36 PM Edit Post
Just a few quick thoughts from the cable(less) guy....

Every argument for Benoit as champ has been linked on one thing, his amazing in-ring skills. But if possible, the man has negative charisma. He's ugly, scraggly, and uncomfortable on the mic. He is quite simply not the man you want carrying things on his own. I will always maintain that he could be a phenominal heel if he had a mouthpiece. But without that, he's stuck being a transitional champ. Which is better for storylines by playing to Benoit's in-ring strength. If he's always chasing the belt, he's always wrestling. I love seeing Benoit in the ring, but I don't think the viewing audience as a whole is quite ready for the old-skool "Wrestling's on the marquee, so that's what we do" idea. The CHAMP has to be someone who can talk. Sorry Benoit.

Umm... Shelton's DEFINITELY getting the "future main eventer" push. He just beat the dominant gorilla. Twice. He also has no real allies, so of course he's gonna get the crap kicked out of him, crap for brains! Let's see the logic of two situations and pick which one we like the best.

Sit 1: Shelton comes in, beats HHH clean consistantly, gets title shot immediately.

Sit 2: Shelton learns this whole "singles" wrestling game, and gradually works his way up, securing a few big wins early to kickstart him and sho he's for real.

[usespsychicpowers] And by a board vote of 243 to 1, Sit 2 wins. [/usespsychicpowers]

Ugh. Of course HHH is a dominant gorilla. We need a dominant gorilla. Remember how the nWo lost in WWE on their debut? Kinda kills the bad guys if they don't win. Let's say Flair laid down for every face that came by and asked, think he would still be THE MAN? Or just ask what you would rather pay money to see, the Rightous Face valiently (albeit occasionally) defeating the hated heel, or the Rightous Face forced to defend (mostly successfully) against the hated heel? I pick good guy beats dominant gorilla any day of the week.
[/tirade]

EDIT:
I just saw drizzler's note on HHH being less confident adds to the drama. WE WANT HIM TO LOSE! He should be cocky as all hell so we think "he might win." That's in your "Basic Heel 101" class, right next to "Spit Takes 203" and "Irish Whips 105" The face is supposed to overcome his insecurities and win, the heel is supposed to be a cocky fuck who wins when we don't want him too. Hence, the boos. Now go back and do your "booking" for WCW like you used to.

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Endo]

"Why do you watch that? It's fake! IT'S FAKE!!" - My mother
"I know." - Me

SuperRob
Showstopper

Posts 758
Registered 8-6-2002

Mood: Wreckening

posted on 4-6-2004 at 10:42 PM Edit Post
"If Backlash is supposed to cement Benoit as a dominant and credible champion then a) HHH should not be doing the angle with SHelton at all. Rather, he should be dominating everyone leading up to the return match. b) Michaels & Benoit should not playing kissy face. they should be feuding, after all, the match was origionally a one on one match. "

I'm starting to agree with everyone else. You are, in fact, an idiot.

No, Triple H should NOT be dominating everyone going into the PPV next Sunday. Why? Isn't that backwards? YES. It's called "reverse psychology." They're using the smarks own knowledge against them. HHH just jobbed out not once, but TWICE to this punk kid Benjamin. There's no way he's going to lose that title match. Beating Benoit in Canada will put Triple H over as the biggest heel ever.

Of course, that's what every smark will be thinking leading up to Sunday, and it's simply not going to happen.

As far as Michaels, he's the fly in the ointment. He's the reason Benoit can lose a match he's supposed to win, and he's the reason Triple H can win a match he's supposed to lose. Plus, there is the element of the old-school "respect" match in place. These guys respect each other, and it's always going to be an event when they lock up. But plug a third guy into the equation, and that respect can go all wrong.

Quite frankly, I think this is probably some of the better booking the WWE has done in a long time, and it's entirely because it's flying against all the mythical booking logic that's been established. The Fed was getting boring because it was easy to see how they were going to book the product. This last few weeks of "shaking things up" has been VERY productive.

And the ratings are proving it.

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 4-6-2004 at 10:53 PM Edit Post
Ever since Triple H started putting guys over, ratings have been better.

Good stuff Triple H finally giving credibility to other superstars, instead of barely losing a match.

I think his attitude has changed a little bit, as well as storylines asking him to put faces over as well, and so I think itís a culmination of both.

Triple H finally puts the same guy over two weeks straight, and thatís a good thing.

Microplay - first ever OOWF World Heavyweight Champion

Owner of The "Reggie IC" #002
2004 bOOardies - Breakthrough Poster of The Year

rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

Mood: Deservedly Smug

posted on 4-6-2004 at 11:21 PM Edit Post
Endo, just out of curiousity, you didn't read ME wrong, did you?
Just noticed the term "dominant gorilla" being thrown about rather angrily, and since I was the one using that term, I began to wonder if you'd misread one of my other posts and thought I was knocking HHH with that term.

And if do you have that impression, I must fall upon my sword in shame.

quote:
Originally posted by me
As to the issue of Benoit being championship material........no. I mentioned this in the RAW thread, but I'll say it again here: when I see HHH on the turnbuckle, growling and gesturing with the belt, I fucking KNOW why that man held the belt as long as he did, and why he'll get it again -- Dominant Gorilla. That's exactly what he looks like. Mother of God, the man is just damned intimidating.
And, as someone said a few posts back, the champ has to be able to talk, to wrestle, and to HOLD THAT BLOCK OF TIME on the show.....

This is my whole point: guys like Shawn, who can't carry the load anymore, and guys like Benoit, who never could, make great interim title holders. But the champ is the guy you can lay your whole fucking show on. And that guy has been HHH, for a long damn time. When I see someone else that can carry that load, I'll gladly back them.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by rasslinjunkie]

Stop posting. Kill yourself.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   rasslinjunkie 's Aim   rasslinjunkie 's Yahoo
Vaidin
rOOkie

Posts 37
Registered 3-31-2004
Location Glendale, California

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2004 at 04:34 AM Edit Post
"Steiner was being booed out of every building he was in against HHH."

From what I understand, that's because he did a really poor job of wrestling against Triple H not because Steiner was made to look worse than Triple H.

"Let's strip this down - HHH is a heel. If the fans cheer him, he has failed. But you can tell he doesn't mind the cheers. His promos are all the same - they all talk about how great he is and his history backs it up."

That doesn't make sense. Flair is a heel too and he gets cheered quite a bit, too. This has happened to him so many times to him throughout his career as a heel and yet he is still a great heel. As long as his boos significantly overpower his cheers, then I don't see a problem with it. Similarly, Triple H gets cheered, but he gets booed far more than he does get cheered so he's still doing his job well.

"I just think HHH hurt too many guys getting to this position. He should have layed down for Shelton again today and didn't."

I don't think he hurt anybody just by getting to this position with the possible exception of Kane. I would argue that the wrestlers were hurt far more by events that happened after they wrestled against Triple H and lost rather than when they were wrestling him. With Kane, Triple H looked much worse in the situation with Katie Vick since he was the one who had to act like he was having sex with a dead person.

"Benoit looked horrible going into WM. After the rumble, he was made a secondary issue to HHH/Michaels. He was beat up and layed out by HHH and Michaels. He was put in the position of cutting weak promos and the crowd was not reacting well to him."

I already gave my explanation for this being that Benoit was not the focus of the feud because Triple H and HBK already had a wrestling history to play off of and because they wanted Benoit's win to be all the more surprising.

"Case in point. Last night's RAW - As the World Champion, Benoit should have been intro'd after Michaels & Foley, but he was brought first...to utter silence from the crowd."

How does that prove your point? One case where Benoit got little to no reaction doesn't prove he's been badly booked. He gets good reactions normally and really this is just a case of looking at things backwards. After all, some wrestlers get booked well and still get no reaction at times and some wrestlers get booked badly and still get decent reactions almost all the time.

promoter2003
The Rowdy One

Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003

posted on 4-7-2004 at 04:58 AM Edit Post
I don't think many actually believe Benoit is a long term champion for the reasons already stated. However, he does make a good transition champion. People were happy to see him finally win the big one. It's all apart of the ongoing saga of pro wrestling. It's how they handle Benoit as this transition champion that will make him be a real main eventer though. It could actually be said that Savage was a transition champion for Hogan as the majority of people knew the belt was really Hogan's. However, Savage had a good reign and solidified himself as a true main event wrestler. The same should be done with Benoit. A transition champion can be a good champion just ask Bret Hart who feels Vince set him up as a transitional champ for Shawn Michaels in 1996.
blackdragon
The Great One

Posts 3578
Registered 11-9-2003
Location United States

Mood: Nostalgic

posted on 4-7-2004 at 01:47 PM Edit Post
Just a few quick thoughts.

I've come to realize how I never actually stopped liking HHH. Even in some of my more anti-HHH rants, I never really said anything bad about him. Sure I wanted the belt off of him, but only because he's a heel and a damn good one at that. I like how RJ pointed out that a concerned HHH wondered aloud if somebody forgot to tell Booker that HHH was the champ. It's things like that that remind me why he is the champ in the first place. He can come across as both dominating and a pussy. He did not want to fight an unmasked Kane. (remember when he freaked after Kane appeared behind him before the triple threat match was made, classic) He uses gang ups and sledgehammers to put away people. By doing so, in my eyes he's showing that this person is a threat to his title. Otherwise, he would destroy them ala Hurricane or Spike. Did I want Booker to win at WM? Hell Yeah, but I understand that it was too soon. And I appreciated how HHH had to resort to actually wrestling the guy, targeting his bad leg and all. Other than Booker, I can really say I cared for the other challengers anyway. Scott Steiner? I'll pass. He was great, now he's so musucular he can hardly wipe his own ass. Kevin Nash? Like him, but not really a sustainable main-eventer? RVD. Perhaps second only to Booker in my admiration for, but the fact that he never won the ECW title still factors into me not wanting him to be World Champ just yet.

http://blogjob.com/geeksmarksandnerds/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2004 at 03:09 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoter2003
I don't think many actually believe Benoit is a long term champion for the reasons already stated. However, he does make a good transition champion. People were happy to see him finally win the big one. It's all apart of the ongoing saga of pro wrestling. It's how they handle Benoit as this transition champion that will make him be a real main eventer though. It could actually be said that Savage was a transition champion for Hogan as the majority of people knew the belt was really Hogan's. However, Savage had a good reign and solidified himself as a true main event wrestler. The same should be done with Benoit. A transition champion can be a good champion just ask Bret Hart who feels Vince set him up as a transitional champ for Shawn Michaels in 1996.

Just a few comments of my own here:

The term Ďtransitional champ.í to me is not so much meant as a positive thing. I think calling Savage a transitional champ. is maybe a bit over board, because he indeed solidify himself as a truly great champion. Plus, add to the fact that Savageís title reign lasted over one year, so that is not considered being a transitional champ., being that long a title reign in the first place. I believe the term is used for a champion who holds a title briefly only to elevate another superstar in the process.

Well, on to Benoit. Is he a transitional champion?? I donít think so. Not when he gets put over Triple H at the biggest main event in history.

There is more than Ďtransitional champ.í written in Benoitís title reign, and this is my point. Or else why would they make him champion at wrestlemania??

I think Benoitís world title reign is helping him in absolutely every aspect of his overall talents, quicker than any other means.

Though I donít believe Savage and Benoit are / were transitional champions, the one difference that I could point out between them is that Savage was pretty much ready to become a world champion, while Benoit may have been a little premature. However, he is the current world champ., and I think this is helping him in every possible way significantly.

Microplay - first ever OOWF World Heavyweight Champion

Owner of The "Reggie IC" #002
2004 bOOardies - Breakthrough Poster of The Year

The_Insider
Banned

Posts 78
Registered 3-30-2004
Location Idiotville

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2004 at 03:29 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuperRob
I'm starting to agree with everyone else. You are, in fact, an idiot.

No, Triple H should NOT be dominating everyone going into the PPV next Sunday. Why? Isn't that backwards? YES. It's called "reverse psychology." They're using the smarks own knowledge against them. HHH just jobbed out not once, but TWICE to this punk kid Benjamin. There's no way he's going to lose that title match. Beating Benoit in Canada will put Triple H over as the biggest heel ever.

Of course, that's what every smark will be thinking leading up to Sunday, and it's simply not going to happen.

Hmmm...The only idiot here is you. I know HHH won't win at Backlash and so do all the smarks because he is losing to Shelton left and right. In fact, neither the smarks, or the marks give a shit about the main event of Backlash and that is a problem.

Disagree with me if you want, but be mature enough to do so without calling people names. The fact is, Michaels/Benoit has been pushed to the backburner, two weeks away from a major PPV. HHH/Shelton is the main focus right now for some reason. Unless Shelton is getting put in that match too, then it is all out of place and hurting Backlash. The buyrate will eb the shits (barring any last minute gimmick saves like a ladder match)

This is not a public forum - it's a forum for ignorant fanboys who have no clue what the business is about and have no desire to know. Why don't you all start a backyard fed together - you have that mentality.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12821
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-7-2004 at 04:48 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by The_InsiderI know HHH won't win at Backlash and so do all the smarks because he is losing to Shelton left and right. In fact, neither the smarks, or the marks give a shit about the main event of Backlash and that is a problem.

I care about the ME. I care a lot. Here on OO I am a smark (no matter what I say about Stormy ), but I watch like I'm a mark.

And I don't KNOW that HHH won't win, and neither do you. You strongly believe he won't win. And so do I. And it's not because of his losses to Shelton. It's other factors, like being in Edmonton, being in Calgary the next RAW, HHH going to make movies, and all that.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
The_Insider
Banned

Posts 78
Registered 3-30-2004
Location Idiotville

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2004 at 05:58 PM Edit Post
Actually, the fact that it is in Edmonton would make me think he is going to win...

OO Kyle
The Rowdy One

Posts 2364
Registered 11-21-2002

Mood: McIan-tastic

posted on 4-7-2004 at 06:00 PM Edit Post
Insider, the reason that people think you're an idiot (and whether you choose to acknowledge it, it's still true) is that you contradict yourself. HHH should remain strong to make Benoit look good. HHH should have laid down for Benjamin. Benjamin's win means nothing because it was by count out. On and on, blah blah blah. It's fairly obvious that all you ever do is complain about HHH. You really don't care what the facts of the situation are.

Stand back! There's a HURRICANE coming through! Several, in fact!

markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 4-7-2004 at 06:02 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by The_Insider
Hmmm...The only idiot here is you. I know HHH won't win at Backlash and so do all the smarks because he is losing to Shelton left and right. In fact, neither the smarks, or the marks give a shit about the main event of Backlash and that is a problem.

Disagree with me if you want, but be mature enough to do so without calling people names. The fact is, Michaels/Benoit has been pushed to the backburner, two weeks away from a major PPV. HHH/Shelton is the main focus right now for some reason. Unless Shelton is getting put in that match too, then it is all out of place and hurting Backlash. The buyrate will eb the shits (barring any last minute gimmick saves like a ladder match)

You are genuinely classy. I can't begin to imagine how you're rubbing people the wrong way around here.

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by markout]

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 4-7-2004 at 07:39 PM Edit Post
I like how he says that we should be "mature" enough to not call people names when one of the first things he did here was call us all marks, and made sure we knew it was meant to be an insult.

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by Bonestein]

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

posted on 4-7-2004 at 08:38 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by The_Insider I know HHH won't win at Backlash and so do all the smarks because he is losing to Shelton left and right. In fact, neither the smarks, or the marks give a shit about the main event of Backlash and that is a problem.

I second Salmonjunkie. I'm a fucking smark, myself, so don't fucking tell me what I think, you shriveled little scrot.
I am also a mark, when the show gets me excited, and the ME is the whole reason I WANT to see Backlash.

I don't know who's going to win. I don't care; it seems like it'll be interesting, however it turns out. Trips will be busy with films for a while, so it seems unlikely he'll win. It has NOTHING to do with Shelton, and for you to say he HAS to lose because Shelton is getting a push proves that the only thing you are "Inside" of, is your own ignorant ass.

It doesn't take a vast knowledge of the business, or even more than a few active brain cells to figure out that Shelton has nothing to do with HHH winning, moron. Life must throw you one surprise after another, eh?

If HHH wins, I'll be amused, and curious how they'll handle it. If Shawn wins, I'll fall off the couch laughing, and look forward to one HELL of a feud between he and Benoit later. If Benoit wins; bully for him, and again...I'll be amused and curious to see where they go with it.
But none of this has anything to do with Mista Benjamin, not yet.

Oh, and yes, I AM NAME-CALLING ON A MESSAGE BOARD.
Wet your panties, throw yourself on your bed and have a good cry -- do whatever you need to do.
Just be grateful Bones seems to be in a good mood lately, or you'd REALLY see some "name-calling."

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   rasslinjunkie 's Aim   rasslinjunkie 's Yahoo
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 4-7-2004 at 10:12 PM Edit Post
Yeah... what the hell? Not to further promote a gang beating of someone who may or may not deserve it (even if I also am interested in the ME and still think "he did it first" is about the lamest excuse in history) but how the hell did RJ out "Bone" Bones?

And is there any way I could have said that without it sounding HORRIBLY dirty and conjuring up an odd mental image?

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Froggie
Showstopper

Posts 518
Registered 10-25-2002
Location Bizarro Land, Ontario

Mood: Stylin'

posted on 4-7-2004 at 11:02 PM Edit Post
I like Benoit, but personally I think Cena should've been given the Benoit (win the Rumble, RAW main event) push. Hes arguably the most over babyface in WWE right now, and he has incredible charisma and fire.

Not that Benoit won't get over though...he has too much talent not to! I don't have many gripes in terms of how they've booked him thus far. I've said on a number of occasions that I think Benoit v Michaels would be a much better drawing feud than Benoit v Michaels v HHH, so we don't need to go over that again.

Like someone else said, they should've intro'd Benoit last at that last segment of RAW to give him importance. Also, the World champ shouldn't be wrestling in the first hour of the show. However, other than those two points, I can't argue with their booking of the Canadian Crippler. If he goes over at Backlash, all will be well

-Froggie

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Froggie 's ICQ status
The_Insider
Banned

Posts 78
Registered 3-30-2004
Location Idiotville

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2004 at 11:26 PM Edit Post
If you read my posts you know I did not contradict myself in regards to HHH. I laid down two scenerio's, not knowing which one the fed had in mind. Either a) push the Backlash ME hard or b) push Shelton hard. The fed seems to be half-assing both.

The Shelton push is lazy booking. They take a mid card (at best) wrestler who they held off TV for weeks and drop him in the main event? Lazy, lazy, lazy. HHH laying down could have been saved for something much more useful, because what do you do with Shelton now? He is not ready for anything beyond an IC title push (which I sort of think is the idea).

I['m thrilled we have two smarks that care about the backlash ME, but let's be honest, careing about it or not, the fed has done or horrible job of trying to make us as a whole care about it. It gets little play. It is second fiddle to HHH/Shelton, Foley/Orton, The Lottery, Eugene etc...lazy booking.

As foe Cena, I am glad they did not give him Benoit's push. He is over right now, but they need to make sure he is not a novelty. They can only give him the 'big win' one time. Save it for later. Let him be a monster upper mid card baby face as long as possible. Make the fans BEG for his rise to the top. It will be that much more sweeter when he does it. Besides, he is not that great in the ring yet.

Endo
Fella

Posts 454
Registered 4-30-2002
Location Virginia Beach

posted on 4-7-2004 at 11:56 PM Edit Post
Lopez, you have soiled my mind forever with bad images of our favorite cajun and a canuk. I'm sure there's some sort of "going back to your french roots" joke in there, so someone else figure it out.

Since this topic has been rather freeflowing, I don't feel bad talking about Cena. I think if he had been a heel, then him winning the rumble and getting the ME push could have worked out. It would have ended up with the same vibe that HHH had back at the survivor series years ago when he was first catapulted into the main event. I remember reading (on this very site, or at least the WL / WM version) how everyone had doubts about HHH's ability to carry the main event. Then he goes on an incredible run establishing himself as the Dominant Gorilla he is now. And that's a good thing. I think Cena could have had the same opportunity and could have run with it, except for the obvious problem that he's over as a face, and not a heel. Not to mention the whole "heel win closes out WM" thing, which would have been a downer. I'm done rambling.

RJ: My apologies for again shoplifting the phrase "Dominant Gorilla" from you. It's just too perfect for HHH, though, so I'll probably continue to do so.

"I know." - Me

rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

posted on 4-8-2004 at 01:03 AM Edit Post
I OUT BONED BONES?
(sounded even worse that time, heh)

Jeeeebus.
Well, the truth is, I had a thorn in my paw, and he was being a dumbass.
Still, my response was rather harsh; even if he deserved it, it's still behavior unbecoming to a young lady, and beneath me.

Wait...
*checks*
Nope. Would ya look at that --there doesn't seem to be anything beneath me at the the moment.
quote:
Originally posted by The_Insider
If you read my posts you know I did not contradict myself in regards to HHH. I laid down two scenerio's, not knowing which one the fed had in mind, so I could then go back and look smart and informed, either way it turned out. Either a) push the Backlash ME hard or b) push Shelton hard. The fed seems to be half-assing both. Again, either way, I'm still gonna bitch.

The Shelton push confuses me, I grunt and wave a pointy stick in it's general direction. They take a mid card (at best) wrestler who they held off TV for weeks and drop him in the main event? This is not painfully simple, remedial booking! Why can't wrestling be nice and simple like Sesame Street? HHH laying down could have been saved for something much more useful, because what do you do with Shelton now? Where is my mommy? He is not ready for anything beyond an IC title push (which I sort of think is the idea). I'll throw out a guess anyway, just so it looks like I really do understand it.

I'm thrilled we have two smarks that care about the backlash ME,(maybe I'd better kiss some ass) but let's be honest, now that I've tossed you a bone, don't you wanna be nice and let me keep ranting? Careing about it or not, the fed has done or horrible job of trying to make us as a whole care about it.Wrestling continues to be too complicated for me, eliciting immediate fear and rock-throwing. It gets little play. It is second fiddle to HHH/Shelton, Foley/Orton, The Lottery, Eugene etc...lazy booking. Just let me keep rambling, please? A thousand monkies on a thousand typewriters, and all that....

Endo: "Lopez, you have soiled my mind forever with bad images of our favorite cajun and a canuk. I'm sure there's some sort of "going back to your french roots" joke in there, so someone else figure it out. "

Actually, I'm mostly Danish. Work that into there, somehow, and you'll have my amused admiration.
But please, do not put any more images in my head. I have to live in this head.

Endo
Fella

Posts 454
Registered 4-30-2002
Location Virginia Beach

posted on 4-8-2004 at 01:15 AM Edit Post
I have to admit that I like seeing the face champ working a 2.5 on 1 match and having a bit of trouble. We've all seen the rules for multiple attackers: black ninja style = face wins. En Masse style = heels win. Benoit was attacked en masse and won, which shows that yes, he is good enough to be champ. He also had enough trouble with them to show that his opponents aren't pushovers, which is very necessary if you don't want Barry Horowitz reemerging.

Bonestein lightly blows his beignets before eating them.

"I know." - Me

rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

posted on 4-8-2004 at 01:17 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Endo
Bonestein lightly blows his beignets before eating them.

Damn your black heart to hell!!!!

promoter2003
The Rowdy One

Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003

posted on 4-8-2004 at 06:44 AM Edit Post
Mircoplay, I think transitional is meant for the transition of the title onto the intended real champ. It means different things for different reasons in terms of the level of importance of the transitional champs. Sometimes being a transitional champ is NOT good because the fed does not really think you are a standard bearer to carry the company and just used as a plot device. In other ways the transition champ is very important in keeping the glue together in a tough time when the real champ is injured or out of action for other reasons. A transition champ could be the champ that holds the company together until the fed can groom somone they feel would be a true standard bearer.

Just to clear up things. Savage was not a transitional champ in the strictest form. He was built into a real champion by winning the undisputed wwf heavyweight title(as it was known post Mania 4). Now, Savage was a good fighting champ, but in kayfabe world Savage did not dethrone the real champion Hulk Hogan. He did not defeat the last champion Andre the Giant either. I don't know if that was by design, but it did lessen his reign imo. Hogan was robbed of the belt and Savage was carrying around his strap to many people. If they really wanted Savage as the true champ he would have gone over Andre in the finals.

In actuality, Hogan went to do a movie and the wwe just made Savage be a placeholding champion for when Hogan returned full-time. The circumstance of both men being mega over faces, the transition back to Hogan as champ had to be played into a long story arc where Hogan ended up saying he wanted his belt back(when asked by Mean Gene after the attack by Savage on Main Event).
The title was only transitioned onto Savage because of Hogan's commitments in the summer of 1988 most likely. In that regard Savage was a good transition champ because he did not seem that way at the time.

One of the new columns on the site reviews the 1991 Royal Rumble. Sgt. Slaughter was used as the transition champ to get the belt back to Hogan. The business reasons were that Warrior was a flop(imo I think the wwe just did not build strong enough characters for Warrior. We saw the Rude feud a year ago already and they run it all summer again? Then they have him in a weak storyline with Dibase and Savage*until the Rumble screwjob*and were guilty of turning Warrior into a sap). Back then we know Vince did not like to run face vs. face and it could be argued Warrior toppling Hogan at Mania 6 hurt Warrior as some places booed Warrior for beating the champ post Mania. Hell, I remember the real reason Hogan came back at SummerSlam was that Vince was afraid of running the ppv without him being promoted since he felt Warrior wasn't drawing as champ. Certainly, with that thinking Vince knew Hogan was still the real champ. It was rumoured Piper would turn heel and win the strap from Warrior with Piper defending against Hogan at Mania 7. That coming from the idea that Hogan would return and win the strap from Warrior and retire*that was the rumour right after Mania 6*. Anyways, Vince knew the belt was going to go back to Hogan.

Then you got the year of 1993, where the wwe had Yokozuna become a solid champ. However, he was also a transition champion until Vince could decide between Luger and Hart to be the real champ. Scenarios like Iron Shiek as a transition champ gives a different meaning to the term as he was simply put there for Vince to take the strap of the babyface Backlund and onto the man he wanted to lead the company. That is a bad transition champion, but in the big scheme of things just as important to make Hogan look that much better defeating the hated Shiek who went over another All-American in Backlund. This transitional reign hurt Sheik in main events for years to come, but it can't be denied he is placed in wrestling lore.

In 1997, Taker won the title, but I believe he was also a transitional champion for Bret Hart. Vince just built up Taker for Bret's dethroning to mean much more. The original plan was for Austin/Bret at WM 14 where Austin became champion and beat Bret in a revenge rematch. Remember the original Mania 13 match was suppose to be HBK/Bret where Bret regained the title. Vince just had Bret working on his heel character before putting the belt back on him due to the mess of HBK "losing his smile".

Dare I say, that Triple H WAS a transitional champ in his original reigns as well. He was put there out of circumstance due to Austin's injuries. The match that was rumoured for Mania 16 was a rematch between Austin and Rock. The company were having polls and whatnot testing which star was more over. This is specualtion on my part here, but I think the wwe might have planned Austin's heel turn on Rock earlier if not for Austin's problems. It just came a year later at WM 17. I alsways took Austin's comments that Trips was a nice hand in 2000 for this reason. He helped fill the void.

Triple H got the strap and was built up to drop the strap to Rock. Whatever the reasons he went over at Mania(which I think was a nice surprise and helped to make Trips solid work as champ not go in vien, but he lost to the man Vince really wanted as champ at Backlash. They played hot potatoe between Rock and Triple H to keep Trips' heat as he came off well as champion with his title defenses of Foley. However, it was Rock carrying the strap until dropping it to Angle. Notice Rock got the strap back just before the real champ Austin dethroned him at WM 17? Rock was the intended real champ all along, but the wwe did swerves for whatever reason. The belt went right back to Rock for when Austin returned and not Triple H.

Benoit IS a transitional champion, but he could be a great one. Yes, he won the strap at Mania, but Triple H is the real champion in Vince's mind I think. You'll see by hook or by crook the title goes back to Triple H sometime. Benoit right now is a good helping hand as champion. Even if he doesn't lose it back to Trips, the belt will go back to Trips. You got to also consider that is why Trips stayed on raw instead of usurping Eddie's title on smackdown. Eddie for all intents and purposes is not a transitional champion since the real champ in Vince's eye walked out. Until Vince finds who really wants as the champ or who could run with the ball Eddie is the man. Quite frankly no one on smackdown is better equipped right now than Eddie. It's similar to Yokozuna in 1993, but in this instance Eddie is the face who traditionally is groomed as the champ.

[Edited on 4-8-2004 by promoter2003]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top