nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 4-3-2004 at 12:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
History of the Mods

Last night I was looking at some old posts (very old, back in the days where Ryan O'Reilly was in support of bringing in Moderators. Oh, it's true). In the process of doing this, I got curious: how was the era of the mod ushered in? I tried to look for a post, but it appears that any posts between December 2002 and April 2004 are gone, nowhere to be found (I assume this has something to do with the infamous board crash of 03). Anyways, if someone could post a thread where modprime was introduced (if one still exists), I would be grateful. Have a nice day.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4780
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 4-3-2004 at 06:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The era of the Mod was ushered in during the 1960s, Niles. It seems as though the Mods come and go in cycles. But this time, it looks like the Mods are here to stay, for better or worse. Most people believe it is for the best, as they just can't get enough Mod.

For you see, technically, Mod refers to a lifestyle and fashion more than to moderating itself. During the early '60s, legions of teenagers in Great Britain began dressing in stylish, neo-Italian fashions and listening to American R&B, particularly Motown. Soon, these teens were dubbed Mods.

With the advent of Mods came the stylish sounds of the Mods. The original Mod bands were all R&B cover bands, but soon they began writing their own material that was generally in the vein of their influences. Mod bands played R&B harder and faster than the original recordings it was relentless, amphetamine-driven rock & roll. Many of the Mod bands were barely heard outside of the United Kingdom, since the lifestyle was primarily a British phenomenon. A few bands The Small Faces, The Kinks and The Who were able to crossover to the United States market, but that was after both bands began developing and expanding their R&B-based sound. By the time psychedelia came around in the late '60s, Mod had died out in Britain.

However, you can't keep a good thing down. Mod both the music and the lifestyle came back in full force in the late '70s, thanks to The Jam. The Mod Revivalists stuck to the R&B-informed rock & roll that distinguished the original '60s Mods, but the sound was harder and more frenetic, and often only implied the music's R&B roots. Since most of the original Mods only performed in cover bands (with the exception of the aforementioned groups) or simply danced to Motown records, the revival was the first wave of Mod bands to rely on original material. Nevertheless, the Mod revival only produced a handful of popular bands.

The Jam were the most popular band in Britain during the late '70s and early '80s, but when Paul Weller decided to disband the trio to form the Style Council, the Mod Revival died out. Most Mod revivalists either split up or became new romantics, which usually resulted in a breakup as well. Despite its brief time in the spotlight, the Mod revival had a lasting impact on British pop music, as many of the most popular English rock bands of the '80s and '90s from the Smiths to Blur and Oasis was indebted either to The Jam or to the movement in general.

Although the Mod revival died out nearly 20 years ago, it left a good taste in the mouths of people the world over. The people, it would seem just couldn't get enough of the Mods. And while Mod culture went into hibernation for about 15 years, it made a giant comeback in 2003. The Mods hit the scene around the beginning of the year when a demand for Mod lifestyle and culture swept over the OO Forums. It was ushered in when Big Fat Goalie posed the question, "Should the OO Forums have Mods?" A debate over a second Mod revival raged for roughly two weeks when The Rick decided that he wanted to be at the forefront of a Mod invasion of the Americas. It didn't take long for the Mods to establish an unshakable presence in the OO Community.

Mod Squad (aka Mod Prime) and Mod Squad 002 landed on January 30, 2003 and February 3, 2003, respectively. They made an instant impact on the OO Forums. In no time at all, all of the nay-sayers had been converted. The hipsters and the scenesters loved Mod, and the people on both the left and the right of the political spectrum had been united in their love, appreciation and/or general acceptance of Mod lifestyle and culture. The Mods paved the way for a brand new scene. Their love of the lush R&B sounds, and the hottest fashions, coupled with their no non-sense attitude and relentless desire to have fun made the Mods the toast of the town.

Mod was so revered that by May of 2003, just 3 months after it hit the scene, the Mod movement expanded to include Mod Squad 003 and Mod Squad 004. The Mods had doubled in only 3 months, while Trolls, Spammers, Poopsters, Morons and Dumb Wankers were falling out of favour with the OO Community at a record pace. The Mods displaced the leaders of old and tired trends like Ryan O'Reily and #tcb. While the weak, imitation Trolls, Spammers, Poopsters, Morons and Dumb Wankers (you know, the kinds that appear to cash in on the tail-end of dying trends), died out quick and painlessly, O'Reily and #tcb held out for a while, but they could not combat the undeniable appeal of Mod culture. Eventually they were defeated and the OO Community rejoiced. Other Trolls, Spammers, Poopsters, Morons and Dumb Wankers have appeared since the Mods took over, but each of their attempts to revive one of these vile, dead trends has been met with apathy and distain from the OO Community. Soon thereafter, these brave Trolls, Spammers, Poopsters, Morons and Dumb Wankers disappear, never to be heard from again. Meanwhile, the Mods continue to stand tall, which leads me to believe that the golden age of the Mod has arrived, and that, this time, Mod lifestyle and culture is here to stay.

* Edits were made to the correct Mod Prime's registration date and to include Spammers in the list of shitty trends that everybody was happy to have go away.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Slade]

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7945
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-3-2004 at 06:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Way to go Slade...you're a jerk, we get it. Seriously, if you had of typed something funny then it would have been worth while...that was crap.

Anyways, the mods came about from pOOsters hanging out in the forum designed for Dayton talk. Jeb had a post called "Ah with Digital you can smell the clarrity" or something like that. From there we started talking about about if the fOOrums needed a mod...they did and everyone pretty much agreed.

We had a little poll about who should be mod, but Rick picked Modprime with no regard to that. Hence his sigline.

That help?

Oh one other thing...one of the pOOp pOOsters registered as mod 003...they just changed the password or something so it could be an actual mod.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by bigfatgoalie]

AnglesGoldMedals
Showstopper

Posts 686
Registered 2-13-2003
Location From wherever he damn well pleases (Newcastle, UK)

Mood: "Break it!

posted on 4-3-2004 at 08:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the history of Mod, Slade.

The creepy things about your post were the depth of knowledge and passion for the subject.

You great big dedicated follower of fashion...

Now with 20% less Kellett...

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   AnglesGoldMedals 's Yahoo
outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 4-3-2004 at 08:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought Slade's post was great. Of course, I think ITR is great, but still, you know, my opinion should count for something.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 4-3-2004 at 08:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know, Goalie, I enjoyed it as well. Plus he did actually answer Niles' question within it (with pretty much the same explanation you provided).

And... we all learned something.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 4-3-2004 at 08:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnglesGoldMedals
You great big dedicated follower of fashion...

In matters of the cloth he is as fickle as can be....

I never thought of us mods as Mods. I always thought we were more Rockers types. Then I asked slade about it, and he told me the Rockers were just a tag team. I guess we are Mods. At least that explains why 004 and I keep putting Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye and Otis Redding on the Mod jukebox.

In reference to goalie's post, I recommend you check out this link:
http://pub199.ezboard.com/freigningredneckchampionsvaultfrm7.showMessage?topicID=10.topic

(Goalie, you definitely want to check it out, because the thread above the one I linked to is a transcription of your OO Wrestlemania card. I don't know if you had a copy. But if you thought all was lost with the board wipe.....well there you go.)

Anyway, the link above is to the poop poster's message board. DO NOT create some board war about this, because I DO NOT want them coming back. Just go read. Use it for reference. For those of you who only know a post-mod board, that thread is a good quick education about what things used to be like. Not all the time, but often enough.

You'll see people talking about other people "messing with the poll." This is no joke. Pre-update, you could click on a vote in a poll, but if you hit back on your browser before the poll results were loaded, you could vote again. And again, and again and again. Even if you were slow on hitting "back" you could just come back a few days later and suddenly be able to vote again. Not that the poop posters even needed to mess with the polls. By my last count, they had something like over 20 different identities on the board. That doesn't even count the 50-100 different names they registered as this last year.

And as for goalie's comment about my sig......he's half right. The other origin for it was a U2U someone sent me on my first day moderating. I deleted a one-post thread by someone. He u2u'd me and asked me if he could repost his post as a poll, then have people vote on whether the post should be allowed to be read. (I'm not making this up.) I honestly couldn't tell if this person was really very stupid or just a troll. I deleted the post, and typed out my sig quote after that.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8684
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 4-3-2004 at 09:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Goalie, that OO Wrestlemania was pretty damn funny. That, of course, is my not-to-sublte way off saying that I'd like to see myself in action IN THIS VERY MESSAGE BOARD delivering the fameasser to somebody. Personally, I wouldn't mind settling the following grudges:

BTR v. nilesanderson, in a "2003 bOOardies best avatar on a pole" or ladder match.

Triple threat with Angst and OpTard to determine OO's best artist.

Be part of some kind of Survivor-Series style match, with relative newbies (Early 2003 or so) vs. Grizzled board vets (from the opening of the boards through the end of 2002), or by region (Team Michigan vs. another state, or Team USA vs. Canada) or Me v. Markout, for the Michigan championship

BTR v. TTP, emerging after I defended him and he proved he to be an idiot. This would have to be a squash match with Mod interference

A Graveyard battle royal or an elimination chamber match, just because I want to be in one. I like gimmick matches.

To all comers: I've got two waaaaaaaaards for ya: BRING IT!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12897
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-3-2004 at 10:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I still can't believe I jobbed to Eli that day.

And Slade, you had me cracking up by the second paragraph. Good show, man!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Lorey Mysterio
Fella

Posts 272
Registered 2-23-2004
Location Middle of the woods on a dead end road, NY

Mood: Nerdy

posted on 4-4-2004 at 09:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Out of sheer boredom and curiosity today, I went back in the Parts Unknown archives to check out the old posts.

Wow. I came to these boards at a very good time indeed, eh?

I read an entire thread between R2D2 and NoneSoVile which was pretty much:
"you suck"
"no, you suck"

It was truly riveting.

I would just like to give a round of applause to the mods and everyone else who made this a better board before I got here.

I've changed my mind so much I can't even trust it. My mind's changed me so much I can't even trust myself.
www.facebook.com/violentlyopposedtojustabouteverything

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Lorey+Mysterio 's Aim
Operation Pajama Pants
Showstopper

Posts 997
Registered 2-23-2004

Mood: Shmood

posted on 4-4-2004 at 09:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
but you're missing the funniest part, lori.

9 times out of 10, they we're the same person. he would say "you suck" "no, you suck" to himself.

Official Poster Of The OOForum's 100,000th Post.

borntorun: getting punched in the cock by a naked guy is pretty arousing.

Visit OOWF.com!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Pajama+Pants 's Aim
Lorey Mysterio
Fella

Posts 272
Registered 2-23-2004
Location Middle of the woods on a dead end road, NY

Mood: Nerdy

posted on 4-4-2004 at 11:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Optard, are you serious? This was about a 2 page thread with only those 2 names. If this was a guy talking to himself, he really needs to get some help because that is just sad.

I've changed my mind so much I can't even trust it. My mind's changed me so much I can't even trust myself.
www.facebook.com/violentlyopposedtojustabouteverything

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Lorey+Mysterio 's Aim
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 4-4-2004 at 06:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Everybody does the J-O-B to Eli sooner or later Junk!

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

posted on 4-4-2004 at 07:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
R2D2 and NoneSoVile were not the same person. OPP was just making a general statement about a lot of the dumb flame wars. Most of the time it would be a flame with four (or five) people in it. Two (or three) of those people would really be one person. The other two would just be unlucky posters.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 4-4-2004 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And the other was usually Bonestein or myself.

Who wants soup?

markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 4-4-2004 at 11:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man 2HoT. They love you over at that board. The memories...

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 4-5-2004 at 09:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, do all the mods patrol all the forums, or is the work load divvied up? Just curious. Seems like I see ModSquad and 004 alot more than 002.

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 4-5-2004 at 10:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by outback jack
Of course, I think ITR is great, but still, you know, my opinion should count for something.

Hey hey HEY!

Some people could take that as an insult. And here I was going to use my power to make you an honorary mod.

(Note to mods: Heh heh... just kidding. You know I don't... I mean, I wouldn't... I... IT'S OUTBACK JACK'S FAULT, DAMMIT!!!)

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 4-5-2004 at 11:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're welcome for the compliment!

ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

posted on 4-6-2004 at 12:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by folby
So, do all the mods patrol all the forums, or is the work load divvied up? Just curious. Seems like I see ModSquad and 004 alot more than 002.

All the forums, but we unofficially divvy them up. The reason there are four of us isn't because the forums on their own are too much for two people. It's more because we all have very different schedules and with four of us, there's at least ONE of us online at any time of the day. Also it lets some of us take time off when we need to. But once we're here we read different stuff more carefully since we all have different interests. As for why me and 004 post more, I don't know why that is. It's not because we're here much more than 002 or 003. It's just how things worked out.

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 4-9-2004 at 06:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
http://www.onlineonslaught.com/OOForums/viewthread.php?tid=1074

Hate to burst your bubble Goalie, but you were beaten by a few months for the mention of the mods. Nonesoville was actually the first person to suggest Moderators for this board. I find it ammusing that everyone but Eli in this thread is banned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top