The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: No Way Out
folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 03:54 AM Edit Post
No Way Out

Four words: Eddie Guerrero World Champion. Eddie Guerrero World Fucking Champion. God that was great.

Not a bad PPV otherwise, too.

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
benoitbrokemyneck
John Edwards is a faggot.

Posts 4109
Registered 3-17-2002
Location Inside The Internets

Mood: not dead yet

posted on 2-16-2004 at 03:58 AM Edit Post
WEEEE!! Pretty good show, I'm drunk, good night!!

edit because this is FFC and Im on BBMN's PC...damn autolog on

[Edited on 2-16-2004 by benoitbrokemyneck]

Keepin' it German

crossface99
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1444
Registered 2-9-2003

Mood: coping

posted on 2-16-2004 at 03:58 AM Edit Post
Didn't catch the PPV, but I saw the results.

Eddie is the champ. I never thought I'd write those words outside of a "What if" topic.

Gotta give credit to the WWE for getting it right once in a while.

Wrestling is dead to me.

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 2-16-2004 at 03:59 AM Edit Post
The first half of No Way Out was absolute garbage. Some of the worst stuff I've seen since I've become a wrestling fan.

However, I can't complain because the second half was solid gold. The longest CW match I've ever seen (and consequently the best). A good #1 contender match. And the ME was absolutely un-fucking-believable. I couldn't put it any better than folby, so I'll just say it again: Eddie Guerrero World Fucking Champion.

Michrome
And I am AWESOME

Posts 142
Registered 1-5-2003

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:14 AM Edit Post
Brock's best match ever by far, this fucking blew the Angle-Lesnar matches out of the water. Eddy is still the best worker in the world, and Brock is great too. Man, for one night, it feels like everything is right in wrestling. This was fucking great.
Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:25 AM Edit Post
The first half of the PPV was completely meaningless, even if the matches were fine. It felt like just another Thursday night to me.

Then Rey and Chavo took to the ring, and all was forgiven. Holy shit, I can't believe they did it. All the logic in the world told me that Eddie would win it, but I still couldn't believe it when it happened. I don't care how he won it. All I care about is that belt around his waist. Wow.

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

doublee
The Immortal One

Posts 4014
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Raleigh, NC

Mood: Mr. Jiggy-Fly

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:27 AM Edit Post
Niles hit it on the head the first hour was aboslute garbage, not even worthy of Velocity. Ugh! But, I have to say that once the clock struck 9:00 business started to pick up.

The Chavo/Rey match was great and I was pleasantly surprised that it was not the curtain jerker and that it actually got 20 mins to unfold. Why could they not do this for Eddie/Chavo? Great match and I also agree with Niles that is the best cruiser match we have had in a long time. Heaven forbid Rey and Chavo actually make the Cruiser title mean something. Right now I'd say the Cruiser title has a higher profile than the US Title. Please, please, please give us a rematch at 'Mania.

The ME was awesome as well, especially because Eddie went over in the end. The match was booked perfectly and Brock sold like a champ for Eddie, even though some of the submission holds looked rather awkward on Brock. It did kind of look as though he could have powered out of the figure four at anytime. Just an all-around awesome match from bell-to-bell.

Triple Threat match was okay, there was some good interplay between Cena and Angle. It was about as entertaining as one of these matches gets.

First part of the show blew donkey nuts, but the last hour-and-a-half was about as good as can be expected.

Hopefully we still get Eddie/Angle at 'Mania.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   doublee 's Yahoo
AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

Mood: Cold

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:34 AM Edit Post
It doesn't seem like I have too many thoughts about this show that haven't been expressed already. My biggest problem with the first half of the show wasn't that any of the matches were bad in and of themselves, there just wasn't a reason for any of them to happen.

All I can say about the last three matches is unfuckingbelievable. It's amazing what you get when talented workers are given adequate time to do what they do. I can't wait to see what Angle and Eddie could do with about 45 minutes at Mania.

Have you noticed that in every group of people there is a guy who just knows shit? He has no explanation for how he knows it or any reason to know it, he just knows shit. Be careful around that guy, he is thinking of ways to kill you.

For some odd reason I am on Twitter. You can follow me @BPF32781

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AriestheRam 's Aim   AriestheRam 's Yahoo
microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 06:05 AM Edit Post
Though I could not catch the payperview, from what I’ve read so far, it was quite good, with the latter half blowing everything off the charts.

You know, though I sided with Brock for this one, and didn’t even watch the payperview, I read that the Brock/Eddie was a match of the year candidate…Just reading Ricks review of the match seemed excitingly exhausting…

Eddie apparently put on the match of his career and Brock’s as well…Well you know, though I wasn’t convinced at first, to go on and put on the match of your life and win the most prestigious title in the industry for that matter is the best of both worlds in my opinion...Congratulations Eddie Guerrero…A supposed match of the year to become the new WWE Champion. Couldn’t be a better time…

StratDweller
Banned

Posts 71
Registered 2-2-2004

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 06:26 AM Edit Post
As a promoter who booked Eddie in his last North American Indy appearance before re-signing with the fed two years, ago, I take great personal satisfaction in seeing him win the top prize.

Congrats Eddie.

JLRuckus
Showstopper

Posts 512
Registered 2-1-2002
Location Atlanta, GA

Mood: Loopy

posted on 2-16-2004 at 06:54 AM Edit Post
It felt just like a normal Smackdown show until Chavo/Rey. The tag matches were blah, Noble/Nidia was somewhat entertaining, and Holly/Rhyno sure did get a lot of time for nobody caring about it.

Chavo/Rey was quite good. I thought they had completely buried Chavo after his match with Eddie at the RR, but the crowd sure did hate him tonight. Chavo Sr. is great, I'm glad he's stuck around.

The 3 way was good, but didn't live up to expectations for me. Angle winning was the right outcome, and now Cena/Big Show can feud over the US Title.

The main event was honestly one of my favorite matches I've seen. Maybe it won't hold up watching it on tape, but that was a hell of a match. We all know Eddie is great, but damn did Brock put on a hell of show too. Brock has had great matches with so many different people, he just keeps getting better.

I guess all the chair shots to Vince's head have finally started working. Eddie's champ, Benoit is in the main event at WM, who would've ever believed it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   JLRuckus 's Aim
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12751
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 2-16-2004 at 08:24 AM Edit Post
I can't believe it has finally happened. Holy shit, was the crowd at Hooters cheering for Eddie tonight.

Side story: Me and my buddy Ernie made a bet. I said eddie would win, he said Brock. So we got a plateful of fries and doused it in hot sauce, pepper, salt, and a packet of sweet-n-low. And the motherfucker had to eat that crap.

another thing (BIY for a minute here): Now Ediie has so many places to go with the championship. Obviously built in feuds with Chavo and Angle. Also possible angles with Lesnar and Big Show, and even Tajiri. Imagine, Tajiri at the ME level. Only with Eddie is it possible. Not to mention, because he can easily work anyone's style, he can give so many young guys the rub by making them look competitive against him.

Eddie rules, and I am so glad to finally see him as champ. I never thought I'd see this day. Congratufuckinglations, Eddie. Where it all begins again? Fuck, it's starting right now, baby!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 08:42 AM Edit Post
Not to sound like a pessimist, but have you ever waved around a candy bar in front of a little fat kid, and then not given it to him? Because I kind of feel like this is what WWE is doing to us.

Kurt Angle is my most favoritest wrestler of all time, but for WWE to make a believer out of me, Eddie is going to have to hang on to that title past Mania. Otherwise, I'll consider this all cruel and unusual punishment for us and for Eddie for getting our hopes up.

Still: Eddie Guerrero, World Champion is damn cool to type.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

AnglesGoldMedals
Showstopper

Posts 686
Registered 2-13-2003
Location From wherever he damn well pleases (Newcastle, UK)

Mood: "Break it!

posted on 2-16-2004 at 12:58 PM Edit Post
...Of course, it's entirely possible that Eddie will get past Angle at WrestleMania.

The first indications of an Angle heel turn have been displayed in the last few weeks (yay!), and Eddie going over at the garden would be popular. And I have to agree that Eddie getting past Kurt would be a massive boost to his title reign.

But for now I'm just happy they have given Eddie a chance to play with the gold.

As for the rest of the PPV, I thought it was very strong, even the first few matches. Nidia/ Noble was good comedy. Even Rikishi and Scotty vs. Bashams was inoffensive. Heck, even the APA didn't really bore me.

Thumbs up.

Now with 20% less Kellett...

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   AnglesGoldMedals 's Yahoo
Drago
And I am AWESOME

Posts 103
Registered 1-2-2004
Location UK

Mood: Penseive

posted on 2-16-2004 at 01:55 PM Edit Post
Eddie will win at Mania, simply because the ME of Wrestlemania *always* ends with the face winning.

That is why Goldberg will win, Eddie will win and HBK will win.

NB:
Exceptions to the face at Mania rule is 16, where Hunter won and X7, when Austin turned heel in the match, although it is arguable whether or not he was a heel at all.

Other NB:
Benoit might win, it depends what Hunter wants.

Sammy Drago
The Future of Wrestling

Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 2-16-2004 at 01:57 PM Edit Post
Much like the Royal Rumble show, WWE managed to get the top of the card right while botching the undercard. Not that that's a bad thing -- I'd rather see that than it being the other way around. Still, you missed absolutely nothing if you only started watching when Goldberg made his first appearance.
The crowd in SF sounded dead, dead, dead for most of this. It looked like they were having trouble getting into the arena, but still -- by the time Chavo and Rey were on, they should have been loud enough. That really hurt the overall experience for me.
Still, three very good matches in the CW title match, the triple-threat (although I would have liked to see Kurt cheating to win) and of course the main event.
Long overdue, Eddie is now the WWE champion. Both he and Brock looked especially strong during the entire match -- this was clearly NOT a case of one guy carrying the other to a good match. Good booking all the way around, and how great is it to see both Benoit and Guerrero headed to the co-main events of WrestleMania?
You know who else looked very good last night? Big Show. I'm serious; from his pre-match interview on Heat (which was classic stuff) to his role in the triple-threat and the INSANE Angle Slam he took outside the ring, Show looked amazing. I said it in the OO Year-End Awards and I stand by it: Big Show is the most underrated guy out there. People like to take away from what he does because he's overweight. but I say ever since he jumped ship to SmackDown, Show has been booked tremendously.
Overall, a so-so show (first four matches were beyond awful; last three were quite good) -- but it was worth watching for the Eddie Guerrero-Brock Lesnar match alone.

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4711
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 2-16-2004 at 02:28 PM Edit Post
Like most everybody else, I felt that the undercard was very underwhelming. I wouldn't say that it was garbage, but it was hardly PPV quality stuff. Case in point, the 6-man tag on Heat was the 4th best match of the night.

Eddie vs. Lesnar was the match of the night, however I felt that Chavo vs. Rey was on par with it. I think had Lesnar retained, I might've picked the Cruiserweight title match as the match of the night. It should not be overlooked, because it too was a Match of the Year candidate. I never doubted Eddie would be the World Champion by Wrestlemania XX. I knew it was coming. However, I was worried a while back that the WWE wouldn't give Chavo a decent push following the Los Guerreros split. I am no longer worried. Chavo is getting the attention from the writers that he deserves. There is a reason why the Cruiserweight title went on 3rd from the end - because Chavo is a draw (yeah, Rey is too). That match was was one of the only major selling points of this show.

quote:
You know who else looked very good last night? Big Show.

Agreed. The Big Show rocks. He doesn't get the amount of fanfare that he deserves. The Big Show is a work horse. You cannot expect a man of his size to stay in overdrive for 40 minutes. But he has enough energy and stamina to put on good, high-intensity, and fast paced matches. You just have to afford him a few rest spots. Anyway, the Big Show was good last night. He should get as much credit as Cena and Angle for that match. It is too bad that not many people are going to give it to him. I will though.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

fallen1
ButtViper

Posts 1
Registered 2-16-2004
Location St. Louis, MO

Mood: extatic

posted on 2-16-2004 at 02:29 PM Edit Post
Eddie Guerrero Is My Favorite Wrestler

Ed,

How many bad gimmicks have you suffered? How many times did you have to dump coffee on yourself? How many times did you stare at the ceiling to put over these less talented egos?

I did not watch Sunday nights pay-per-view, but as an internet dork, I am marking out.

Eddie Guerrero as the World Champion. I have been a mark for this guy for quite some time. I have watched this guy suffer through some of the worst angles. Who remembers his WCW days? One of his first I cannot spell 'feuds' with Chavito? The one where Chavo had to wear the shirt that said "Eddie Guerrero is my favorite wrestler"? How about the shoot/work speech where he dumped coffee on himself? How about the Radicalz? The stereotypical latin guy with Chyna as Mami?

Why would I root for a guy who did all of this? WORKRATE. This guy would walk into the ring acting like a clown. A total buffoon. A Tio Tomas. Then the bell would sound and this clown would work. How many great CW matches? How many stellar highspots? How much capable mat-work? We are talking about a guy who has been a stellar part of the WCW-WWF-WWE (and I think even for a time ECW) mid-card. We are talking about a guy who has overcome adversity in his drug problems. A guy who has been through what Scott Hall and so many of the other big heads has gone through, but the difference with Don Guerrero is, he came back. He came back, not as a shell of his former self. He swallowed his pride. He "lied, cheated and stole". He played the Mexican stereotype. He sold and he worked.

I am going to get the replay of this PPV. I am a relatively new Smark. I had just begun reading web-sites like this as Foley's original push began. I was so excited that Monday night Mick held the gold from the corner ringpost. But Eddie's victory was more special to me. I watched this guy toil in the crap of wrestling and shine for a very-very long time. And I NEVER thought he would get this.

Do you know what Chavito? Eddie Guerrero is my favorite wrestler, too.

Stormtrooper
The Great One

Posts 3635
Registered 1-5-2002
Location under glass ceiling

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 03:16 PM Edit Post
also, WORLD'S GREATEST beat APA. Bradshaw jobbed at the PPV, yay.

LATINO GOLD BAYBEE!

THE CHAMP

outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 2-16-2004 at 03:56 PM Edit Post
Not only is it great to see Eddie as champ, but the match itself was a classic. It had the ref bump and Goldberg run-in for fun, but those did not overshadow the great "old-timey" mat wrestling.

Fallen 1, Eddie was indeed in ECW before his WCW run. He and Malenko had a 3 match series that featured tons of chain wrestling. In their last match, when the fans knew they were leaving, they chanted "please don't go!" despite the contrast with the typical ECW style.

chucky_13
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 13
Registered 2-3-2004
Location MN

Mood: bLa

posted on 2-16-2004 at 04:53 PM Edit Post
It was an ok PPV sept for Eddie winning the belt >_>

Signature

Stormtrooper
The Great One

Posts 3635
Registered 1-5-2002
Location under glass ceiling

Mood:

posted on 2-16-2004 at 10:35 PM Edit Post
why?

THE CHAMP

NNCW Paul Douglas
Showstopper

Posts 575
Registered 1-28-2002
Location The Hallway

Mood:

posted on 2-17-2004 at 12:31 AM Edit Post
I think everyone's missing the greatest accomplishment of the night. Did anyone else besides me notice that neither the American, nor the Spanish announce tables were damaged? That has to be an accomplishment that brought the Spanish guys to tears when they made it off the air intact.

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   NNCW+Paul+Douglas 's Aim   NNCW+Paul+Douglas 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger   NNCW+Paul+Douglas 's Yahoo
doublee
The Immortal One

Posts 4014
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Raleigh, NC

Mood: Mr. Jiggy-Fly

posted on 2-17-2004 at 01:07 AM Edit Post
Hey, I think that goes against the laws of the WWE Universe no wonder Eddie won.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   doublee 's Yahoo
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4711
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 2-17-2004 at 01:26 AM Edit Post
quote:
I think everyone's missing the greatest accomplishment of the night. Did anyone else besides me notice that neither the American, nor the Spanish announce tables were damaged? That has to be an accomplishment that brought the Spanish guys to tears when they made it off the air intact.

The table didn’t survive No Way Out on its own. Yesterday was Hugo Savinovich's birthday and Vince granted him one birthday wish. Hence, the table made it through the night in tact.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top