The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Forum Merger
nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 2-13-2004 at 04:01 PM Edit Post
Forum Merger

I just noticed that Movies, TV and Books have merged into one forum. Personally, I don't really like this change. I feel it will end up convuluting the subject matter. Add that to the fact that the Movies forums does get a decent response (on par with Music at least), it will end up dominating the subject matter. Anyways, just my input

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 2-13-2004 at 04:59 PM Edit Post
not to bitch, but i don't like this change much either. was this a server space-type issue? the book threads are going to get lost completely. and why does the VG forum still get its own section?

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-13-2004 at 05:19 PM Edit Post
i must admit, i'm with niles and denethor on this one. the TV threads a gonna struggle and the book threads dont stand a chance.

think about it. TV threads like american idol and 24 get all their play on tuesday and wednesday then lie dormant for the rest of the week, just to get the tue/wed play again. but with all the movie talk that goes on, those threads will be dropped straight down.

and the book threads? some books threads take days to get a responce, but most do eventually. but none will if they get crapped on by movie and tv threads right after they're posted.

...just my thoughts.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 2-13-2004 at 06:02 PM Edit Post
I totally agree with you guys. Unfortunately i think it was probably easier to consolidate the forums than it will be to separate them again. Now all of the topics are all jumbled together. I'd hate to have to sift through that mess to separate them. Unless they're marked in some hidden way, I wouldn't count on seeing them back to the way they were.

BoerboelLVR
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1646
Registered 2-14-2003
Location Over the line!

Mood: HELP ME!!!

posted on 2-13-2004 at 07:00 PM Edit Post
If there is a way to separate them again. I'd like to cast my vote in favor of doing so also. For all of the previously mentioned reasons. I know there are probably good reasons for the consolidation, but for what it's worth, I liked it better before.

Don't touch me there!

Pistol Pez
I am a pathetic troll

Posts 723
Registered 5-11-2002
Location Ohio

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 2-13-2004 at 09:14 PM Edit Post
Now it's going to be much tougher to decide if someone's written about a book. I'll have to actually go to the thread and scan through the thread names, and try to decide if the top book thread was at 3 or 4 yesterday, or else memorize the surrounding threads to see if it's changed position.

I don't even have a TV, so why am I wanting to wade through all those threads?

Yeah, I'm with those guys.

ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 2-13-2004 at 09:56 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by nilesanderson
I just noticed that Movies, TV and Books have merged into one forum.

Quick joke--- ahey, someone finally noticed the book and TV threads!

quote:
"Personally, I don't really like this change. I feel it will end up convuluting the subject matter."

The consolidation thing is something 004 and I kicked around a while back. I wanted to do it when we got rid of "Marking Out" "Wrestling Merchandise" and "TV/Event Critiques," but Rick didn't want so many changes at once. Thinking back, it would've been best to do everything at once. Kind of a one time only shock.

OO had probably the most forums of any message board I've been to. There are 7 forums on wrestling alone, whereas some WRESTLING MBs have 1. Many other MBs also have sports, games, news, music and a generic "entertainment" forum. I guess my point is that there are lots of ways in this world to put together forums, but that none of them are hard to understand.

Which brings up "convoluting" the threads. There are two thoughts on this.
A. I'm not saying Niles is selling anyone short, but we assumed that OOsters are sharp. 95% of the time, you're gonna know if something's a movie a book or a show. Who's going to see "Latest 24" and not know it's a thread about the TV show. Or "ROTK DVD release" and not know it's a DVD? So it's never going to be that confusing.

B. Is it getting "convoluted" really a BAD thing? The worst that happens is a bum click here or there. Maybe a thread title catches your eye, you click it, you learn something new or join a discussion you wouldn't otherwise join. Everyone thinks the thread merge will KILL Books, but really book threads are going to get MORE exposure and more clicks. In my own experience, I'd go to the Books forum once every two weeks, because I knew I wasn't going to miss any interesting threads. Now I'll see books threads everyday. Maybe I'll reply to them more often than once a month or so.

"Convolution" could also mean combination. There have been multiple cases of having more than one thread on the same book that later got turned into a movie... that we also had more than one thread on. In one forum, there's more potential for crossover discussion, getting the movie people interested in the books. You get the idea.

quote:
"some books threads take days to get a responce, but most do eventually. but none will if they get crapped on by movie and tv threads right after they're posted."

If you look at Movies, TV and Books right now, the last thread in it was last replied to two WEEKS ago. So long as someone replies to a book thread once every 14 days, it's going to be on page one of the forum. You're going to have to ignore a thread for about a month for it to make it to page 2.

Like I said, there are two potential upsides:
1. "Convolution" factor. Maybe someone wonders "what's this thread about" and checks out a book thread by mistake. The mistake turns out to be a fun one, and people talk more about books!
2. People who'd otherwise look at the books forum once a week will now see those threads everyday and maybe get off their butts and post more often.

That's all I can think of for now. The move made sense to us. Books had 32 threads total. Up until a month or so ago, it had fewer than 100 total POSTS. For a whole forum. There are threads on this board with more posts than the Books forum. It was pretty close to dead as it was. We thought this could only drum up some interest.

We're sort of startled that people are this upset about it. Sure, our decision was based partly on making moderating easier. There was also the "look" of having fewer dead forums. Seeing Books and its few threads (and TV wasn't much better-- Video Games had more threads than TV, and about 20 of TV's threads were just Ryan O'Reily starting polls and then talking to different versions of himself) was sort of depressing. Keep in mind that this Super Merged Forum still has fewer threads in it than Current Events.

We thought we were making a good call. Please bear with us. I'm not saying everyone is overreacting, but the changes have been in place for less than a day. None of the worries anyone has come true or shows signs of coming true. And some of the worries (like "convolution") can have some positive results. So let's see if it works out first. If something goes terribly wrong, we can try to fix that when the time comes. If we keep an open mind about it, maybe it'll turn out to be a positive change.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-13-2004 at 11:11 PM Edit Post
ALL LIES!!!! LIES I TELL YOU!!!! PROPAGANDA FROM THE MAN!!!! THIS MERGER WILL BE THE END OF OO!!!!

umm.. just kidding.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
OO Kyle
The Rowdy One

Posts 2364
Registered 11-21-2002

Mood: McIan-tastic

posted on 2-14-2004 at 04:21 AM Edit Post
Regarding the Merger

Hiya folks!

There's always pushback whenever change occurs, but in this case, I think the change just might be for the better. I understand the initial shock, but consider this:

Where has all the action been lately? The Graveyard. Now known as "parts unknown". Why? Well, because it's not compartmentalized. We feel free to be goofy. We don't worry about what's "on topic". Its just a fun forum.

So what does that have to do with the merger of Books, TV and Movies? Well let me tell ya.

First, as a former Board Admin, I can tell you that from a Moderator's point of view, "Fewer" DEFINITELY equals "Better". It's just way easier to keep track of what's going on with fewer forums.

That doesn't mean we should condolidate down to one massive forum, of course. But any good Board Admin or Moderator is going to try and find the "sweet spot", where there's as many boards as needed, but still as few as can get the job done.

Now, I ain't a Mod here, no matter WHAT the guy who posts the Poop picture thinks. I'm just a poster like you guys. As a poster, I think the merger is a good idea. Here's why.

Those three forums didn't really get a lot of action. Sad, but true. The Movie forum saw the most use, but even it only really heats up if I'm trolling about the Lion King or dissing "Shawshank Redemption."

Now, one might argue "Why does Music still get it's own folder?" I'd suggest that it's because there's a binding visual and thematic theme with books, movies, and TV. Also, the Music folder probably gets more posts by itself than the other three got together.

Trust me, give it a week, and you'll never even notice- in fact, I'd bet some serious cash that you'll end up liking it this way. I know I was constantly forgetting where I posted my last Stephen King flame- was it about a book I hated, a movie I hated, or a mini-series I hated? Now I can hate the guy in one convenient location!

Seriously guys, I think this will be for the best. It's not like we had so much going in those three forums that won't be able to keep the threads straight. If you post a thread saying "C.S.I. Miami RULES", we'll all understand that you're talking about the T.V. show.

Plus, half the time discussions of movies devolved in to discussions of comic books ANYWAY, so now you won't have to worry about swerving off-topic.

Just my two cents.

[Edited on 2-14-2004 by OO Kyle]

Stand back! There's a HURRICANE coming through! Several, in fact!

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 2-14-2004 at 09:35 AM Edit Post
I figured I'd also throw my support behind the Mods. It seems like a minor inconvience at first... I also wish I didn't have to actually TRY and see if I missed a TV or Book thread that interested me... but it all seems to make sense in the end. Like Kyle said a lot of them are going to intersect anyway. Plus, while those of us who hit the Book forum once every week or two may think we'll lose threads the fact is that we're more likely to hit that forum much more regularly as all three topics are hit on.

I understand the issue folks have with it... but I get the change and I'm ok with it. Even if it means that damned "American Idol" thread will be harder to ignore as I try and avoid becoming that stereotypical elitist who whines about game shows, reality TV and the lowest common denominator.

Of course does this make the "Video Games" thread the last place of solitude? Or is it "Book it Yourself"? There was something fitting about (albeit it depressing) about the "Books" forum being the least visited.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-14-2004 at 06:07 PM Edit Post
lucky, you wont be able to resist the american idol thread, and soon you wont be able to resist american idol!!!!!

WE WILL MAKE YOU ONE OF US!

BoerboelLVR
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1646
Registered 2-14-2003
Location Over the line!

Mood: HELP ME!!!

posted on 2-15-2004 at 06:39 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Operation Retard
lucky, you wont be able to resist the american idol thread, and soon you wont be able to resist american idol!!!!!

WE WILL MAKE YOU ONE OF US!

Yes, I concur. If this merger draws LuckyLopez into the American Idol thread then I am all for it. Face it Lucky, you want to read it, you can't resist it. It is calling to you and soon you will have no choice. You will post regularly in the American Idol thread. Muah hahahahahaha!!!!!

Don't touch me there!

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 2-15-2004 at 08:41 PM Edit Post
Iíve read enough of this thread to understand both sides of the argument. Overall, it makes the title merge of the three seem more appealing at first glance, as it involves 3 different subject areas. I mean, itís more likely that a person interested in movies will stumble upon a book or tv thread, take a look at it, and decide to contribute to it or not.

As a whole, I think this merge does well for all three subject areas as this one column will get more attention than any of the 3 got individually, so itís simply the best of both worlds here.

The only problem is mixing up the threads, definitely. I mean, the problem here will occur when a movie enthusiast decides to talk about a movie, while a fan of books wants to talk about a book. Well, itís those people that will cause the bigger problems to the column because they would only be interested in these fields. So threads may get lost. However, there was a good point made in an earlier post that threads usually stay on the main page for quite a while, thus not becoming Ďlostí so easily. Though the mixing of threads may be a problem, the 3 subjects themselves (as I believe someone may have mentioned) move forward consistently because there will always be a new book, tv show or movie that will be talked about, making the threads move along steadily.

Once again, the appeal of seeing a column merge Ďbooks, movies, and tví is much more appealing than seeing them individually (to me anyway), and as an earlier post mentioned, people wonít mind the change so much after a little while.

Taking a look at everything overall, there are indeed a lot of positives to look at, though I for one will admit I liked the individual columns better, simply because they were more organized. However, whatever many say, I donít believe the new column will hurt so much because individuals will still be able to post their ideas for their specific interests.

[Edited on 2-15-2004 by microplay_24]

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 2-16-2004 at 10:29 PM Edit Post
Optard and Boerb... all your efforts will be for nought. If I want to watch/hear people sing songs I didn't love in the first place at a lesser quality than on my CD player than I'll just go to karaoke. And really, I already spend too many of my nights a month at karaoke bars as is.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim

New Topic New Poll

go to top