The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A Sincere Argument for the Reinstatement of TopTenPro
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 2-10-2004 at 10:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well everything's kinda been said allready, hasn't it?

I wanted to back Eoghann when he did this awhile back and I want to back BTR now... but I don't know if I can. There's just too many guys who have popped up in the last month or 2 or 3 who are running around this board just fine... even some who absolutely annoy me. We clearly don't jump all over every new guy and there's probably a dozen "newbies" I could name as evidence and plenty of guys like BTR, AGM and myself who can speak for not having gone through the "hazing." But there are some things that catch my attention. It looked like TheMadDoctorO was going to get jumped on after his first post or two and then angst jumped in, made clear he was a friend and folks backed off. The same thing happened with one of Erin's friends a little while back (although she's since disappeared). I suppose that raises a flag in my mind... Then again no veterans are coming out and saying "microplay_24 is my friend so leave him alone" and yet he seems to be getting by just fine (unless I missed some thread where he's gotten torn on).

And I agree that TTP's dismissal seemed a bit abrupt. It just seemed like something happened that night where I was taking unnecessary shot at him and Boerboel was especially annoyed and I think OpTard jumped... and it felt like the Mod's said "enough is enough." I FULLY understand everything that let to it and I imagine TTP was standing on the edge of the cliff for weeks just waiting for that one post or thread or night that meant the final step. Lord knows I hated TTP as much as anyone... and I pretty much flamed him without much provocation (which I think is unlike me)... but I definatelly see the BTR/Matt arguement.

I'll say this... I'm disappointed in myself when I think to the last post I left for him over in the BIY forum where clearly all I was doing was poking. But I feel much better about myself when I read the "Jack Tunney" thread. He was being unreasonable and he was condescending to anyone who disagreed with him. My first response (I think) was calm, fair and respectful and then later when TTP decided to play the same exact note just to act self righteous I tossed him a little bit of flames along with the explanation of why he was wrong. But rather than backing off, or acknowledging his knee jerk reaction he went and poked at me... and then he of course went back to the same stupid arguement a week later. Its his motif operandi. He never managed to pick up on it, he never learned better and I have zero reason to believe he ever would. Be unreasonable, be proven unreasonable, feign apology, go right back to it.

But I respect the Mods' decisions. I trust their judgement because of every guy that pisses me off and I know probably does the same to them and yet they take the high road and leave them be. If they felt this was the time for TTP to go, then I will accept that (and give them all a beer). If they thought that TTP deserved another chance, I'd respect that (and save those four beers for myself). I've given the Mods a few headaches (that I know of) and they've always been incredibly cordial when I would have thought they were in the right to send a U2U that says "SHRINK YOU'RE FUCKING AVATAR!"

One or two moments to the contrary, I know that if TTP pissed me off too much I could just stay away from him. I skip 9 of his 10 incessantly stupid threads and only post something when I'm moved to respond to something... I could easily go back to doing that. And there's been a good number of people that I didn't like, even got into it with and ended up having calm exchanges with them in U2U form or chat and ended up liking the guy in the end. I'm not betting that TTP and I could do the same but its happened.

But I will add... TTP didn't want to discuss wrestling. He wanted to write about what he wanted to write about and he didn't want to get any opposing thoughts. He wasn't open to the idea of being wrong, he wasn't receptive to others' ideas and I've never once seen him shown the slightest bit of respect towards another poster. Maybe I missed it or maybe he was as big of a jerk as I thought he was... but I know that's how he came off to me and plenty of other folks who have said the same to me.

But, BTR... they're right. You're craaaaazy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 2-10-2004 at 11:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Modding can be annoying. Yeah, you can mess with people's accounts and stuff. (Anglesgoldmedals, if your av got changed, it had to be the site hosting the image that did it. Seriously. Because only me and 002, 003, 004 and Rick could have changed it. And we'd probably pick something cooler than smurfs if we did that sort of thing. Like ATVs or Danzig.) But most of the time you're just trying to keep things going well and make as many people happy as possible.

So when you want to keep everybody happy, sometimes banning someone is the best policy. Take TTP. He was a jerk and provoked a lot of people. And he probably got off on it. Ideally, NO ONE WOULD REPLY and he'd go away or knock it off. So if I don't ban the guy, that means deleting 10 posts from veterans and pissing them off (and getting "Why'd you do that to my post?" u2us) or editing them out to blank and also pissing them off---all just to keep from feeding the troll's ego.

In the long run getting rid of the annoying guy is the easiest policy. Maybe they come back under a new name or maybe they go away. But it's better than 10 vet posters yelling about deleting their troll-feeding posts. It's a balance thing I guess. There's no way everyone can be happy all the time.

As for hazing and stuff... there's a simple solution. If you don't like it, don't do it and also make friends and take your fellow posters to task. If a vet poster is being rude for no reason, u2u them or tell them. It works. Boerboel was rude to ConspiracyVictim, but me blanking one of his posts made him reconsider.

Not everyone will like newbies, but that doesn't mean you can't on your own. I think it's funny that some of the people defending TTP had fun being clubby and exclusive and never defended him until he was banned and it was a moot issue. If you want to be a nice guy, you don't need a club to back you up.

One final note---all the mods have posters they don't like. In some cases, posters they REALLY don't like. To date none of us has gotten to ban anyone we never want to see again---except Chucko. So when we ban people it's either for an IP reason (like Chucko coming back, and we KNOW it's Chucko) or because we're responding to YOU. People get the boot when they piss off lots of people on the boards. If 20 or more people on the boards hadn't hated TTP and said they couldn't stand him, he'd be here today. I'm not passing the buck, that's just the way it is.

I guess it's time to go back to looking at everyone's avs and being a big man.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8684
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 2-11-2004 at 12:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just as I expected, you all came through with well-thought out answers, sincere opinions, and the desire to see both sides of the arguement. I applaud you for that. As careful as I was when I was writing this, I was afraid that I was going to come out looking different than I was aiming for, and it looks like I did okay. And Matt, thanks for having my back.

Like my original post said, I'm not TTP's biggest fan. I've probably said mean things to two or three people on this board, and he was one of them; I even mentioned his arrogant tone in my replies in some of my threads.

While, yeah, the point was to argue his return, but I'm honestly not surprised nor really disheartened by the near-unanimous veto. I guess my greater aim (and in this I think it was successful) was to get a range of opinions, true, intelligent opinions, about the way things go around here. I hope you all realized that I never said "be nice to all the newbies." 2Hot said something about telling it like it is, and I agree to a certain extent. I honestly believe that some of the problems are made worse by the responses some of us give...An ignorant, naive, or even slightly condescending remark can be blown up by someone's retort. Some may think this is good, some may not...there really is no right or wrong in this matter, I hope you'll agree. I guess my final plea is maybe for some of us to lighten up a little bit, and (this doesn't apply to TTP, btw) maybe if a newbie makes a mistake right off the bat, try to steer him in the proper direction instead of right over the cliff. That's my piece, and I guess ultimately the most we'll take out of this.

So, thanks again for the spirited discussion. Things like this are the reasons why I enjoy coming here way more than I should. And mods, thank you for letting this debate progress, and hopefully I'm not one of the targeted posters I think it was a service to the boards.

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
couple of more points.

1. it is possible to have a really really rocky start and recover fine. case in point: blackdragon. i know i wasn't very nice to him when he first got here. and i know others weren't either. i forget what stupid thing he said but it was pretty stupid. but look at him now. well, he's nothin special, but he posts his posts and gets through the day without any problems.

2. we also dont flame blindly. and when someone does we do have the ability to police ourselves. even before modprime deleted boerboels post, i jumped in to cool things down, kinda. we're not evil people here. he just have a low tolorance for stupidity.

3. if a guy stifles conversation, he's gotta go. it may seem unfair to that one guy, but if they become a constant thread killer, its even less fair to those who are in good standing here.

4. ya know what. fuck him. he couldn't hack where others could. hence, it's not our fault, it's his. whoever brought up the point of looking at the member list was right. it aint that fuckin hard. DBMacJericho registered the same day as TTP, has 75% more posts, and he's doing just fine. god damn TTP

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
ModSquad004
Cop Dawg

Posts 2324
Registered 5-10-2003
Location on the ATV

Mood: no mood 4 poop

posted on 2-11-2004 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been wanting to ban you for months, borntorun, but ModPrime threatened to put a big key mark on my ATV if that happened.

WOOF!

FusionFistCutter
The Great One

Posts 3411
Registered 4-10-2003
Location Columbus, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 12:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
One final note---all the mods have posters they don't like.

Am I on one of these lists? I have the sinking feeling that I am. But hey, what do I know, I'm just here for the free coffee...

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 01:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
i dont like you FFC, but that's a completely seperate issue.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 2-11-2004 at 03:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
An ignorant, naive, or even slightly condescending remark can be blown up by someone's retort.

That's an excellent point that I think many of us forget from time to time. It is impossible to gauge the intended tone of a post, this being the internet and all. Many times flame wars ensue from misunderstood comments that were in no way intended to be inflammatory. All of us (especially myself, knowing that I have been abnormally active and pissy as of late) need to remember that and measure our responses.

That being said, TTP was, to the best of my knowledge, not harped upon immediately upon arrival. While we all act impulsively from time to time and do things in the heat of the moment that we might come to regret (read my sig), the response to TTP was slow in developing and justified, I think. One or two posts that have misunderstood connotations is one thing; when every post has the same perceived tone, it's not a misunderstanding.

Personally, I think this has been a wonderful and productive discussion about what has become an issue on these boards. Kudos to all, including BTR for kicking it off. I would have been apprehensive, had I been in your position.

EDITED -- because after two days of editing fully half of my posts, I still don't think that proofreading them before posting is a worthwhile venture

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by markout]

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 04:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Though I don’t come to these threads very often, I saw this particular topic and thought I’d give my thoughts on this situation as well:

The Good

TTP’s topic posts were generally about something interesting/insightful, which usually had a lot of room for discussion. He also seemed to have his own little ideas about how he viewed the wrestling world in general and all. That’s great for a wrestling fan…but now…

The Bad

When a guy gets told off enough times to the point where even an idiot would get the drift, and still continues to post as if ‘nothing even happened’ is asking for some serious trouble. I mean if he just backed off like he was told to, he wouldn’t have been banned in the first place.

I’d have to go read his posts again in order to know what really happened, because I never even saw this one start to finish…But if it got to the point where he’d have to be banned, it must have been pretty serious stuff.

In my opinion, based pretty much on the fact that the guy simply wanted to talk wrestling, I’d cut him some slack and let him post his ideas anyway.

I don’t know much at all about this bitching and moaning of his, but based on what I’ve seen, I would stick to my opinions.

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by microplay_24]

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 2-11-2004 at 08:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markout
That being said, TTP was, to the best of my knowledge, not harped upon immediately upon arrival.

Yeah... as much as I'd like to say you're right I think we pretty much jumped on from the first few posts... but after that we held back. Ironically I think that was partly due to eoghann raising a stink about our behavior within a TTP post where we all (myself included) had acted quickly (and one might say hastily). But we did back off and THEN I think the slow development of hatred began.

But I agree 100%. Even amongst those of us who know each other we get tone confused from time to time... and it certainly can't be easy if you're new to the boards and one guy attacks you for little reason and suddenly half a dozen others back him up just because he's one of theirs. I don't think it happens often, but it happens from time to time and it can't hurt for us all to acknowledge it.

But I still think BTR is crazy. Except about Billy Gunn. Billy Gunn is cool.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

posted on 2-11-2004 at 02:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He was left alone during his first few posts. "The Tag Team Facts" is a straight discussion, but you can see the developing attitude. But the point I wanted to make is that it't not like everyone saw the new guy and said "Booooooo!!!" immediately. We waited until he was sufficiently irritating.

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 05:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
if i remember correctly, we got on his case pretty quickly about his top 10 lists. eventually he gave up on that and started with straight up posts. at that point we layed off him till he got stupid again.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 2-11-2004 at 06:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModSquad

One final note---all the mods have posters they don't like. In some cases, posters they REALLY don't like. To date none of us has gotten to ban anyone we never want to see again---except Chucko. So when we ban people it's either for an IP reason (like Chucko coming back, and we KNOW it's Chucko) or because we're responding to YOU. People get the boot when they piss off lots of people on the boards. If 20 or more people on the boards hadn't hated TTP and said they couldn't stand him, he'd be here today. I'm not passing the buck, that's just the way it is.

Hmmmmmmm....

This is a very exciting development. So basically, if popular opinion is that a poster should go, we can petition the Mods to get him booted! How many votes does it take? 20?

This has a very Shirley Jackson feel to it. Let's pick someone at random and see if it works. Lets say, the 222nd person to register on the boards.

and that is...
(checking)

A poster named "flairmark" who only posted once and that was on Jan. 10 of 2002 in a thread titled "Best all time feuds?" (incidentally, he thought it was Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer vs. Wildfire Tommy Rich).

I vote we ban flairmark!

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

posted on 2-11-2004 at 06:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seconded!

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 2-11-2004 at 06:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All in favour?

Who wants soup?

Laner
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1835
Registered 1-8-2002
Location Uptown

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 07:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Can his ass!

AnglesGoldMedals
Showstopper

Posts 686
Registered 2-13-2003
Location From wherever he damn well pleases (Newcastle, UK)

Mood: "Break it!

posted on 2-11-2004 at 07:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Wildfire" Tommy Rich!?!??!. WTF?!?!??!

Boot him out under the "stupidity clause".

Now with 20% less Kellett...

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   AnglesGoldMedals 's Yahoo
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 2-11-2004 at 07:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, go here:

http://www.OnlineOnslaught.com/OOForums/viewthread.php?tid=84

But this is the LAST time I do this, okay? If it weren't for the fact that you can still read the boards just fine without being registered, I'd feel bad about banning the guy. But in my experience the 1 Post Only guys NEVER come back.

In the future, if someone's getting banned, there has to be a real complaint.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 07:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
HAHAHA~!

what can i say? that rules. GO MOD!!

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 2-11-2004 at 09:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking through that thread is weird. With the exception of ChrisisGood, none of those guys are around anymore. It was a completely different community back then.

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2004 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Damn, I'm OOld SchOOl

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 2-11-2004 at 11:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I remember Cuthbert, he had over 200 posts when I first logged on and I thought that was incredibly high. He had Salmonjunkie's post for a while. I also remember finger cuffs, nonesovile and kneecaps. Fingercuffs had a great username.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 2-11-2004 at 11:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have little recollection of any of those people with the exception of nonesovile. You will notice that he is banned. Thats because he is the original incarnation of one of our most infamous and nefarious posters.

Who wants soup?

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 2-11-2004 at 11:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes I even recall NSV actually getting in a flamewar with the nefarious poster who in fact was NSV. Very confusing. He started the flamewar because he heard NSV was the big dog around here or something like that.

I got into a flame war with him in a later incarnation, Leef. It may be one of the greatest flamewars the boards have ever seen.

I think it was the Leef persona that ultimatly led to the creation of the Mods.

http://www.onlineonslaught.com/OOForums/viewthread.php?tid=2528

I can't believe I said Jeb was famous for his composure.

markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

posted on 2-12-2004 at 02:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah yes. That flame war was truly magnificient, if for no other reason than to watch that idiot post replies to himself under different names, then out his supposedly intelligent persona.

NoName/LeeF, if you're out there, you are a flaming piece of trash. From the OOForums to you...a big Fuck Off.

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top