The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: How Long do you think the "SPLIT" will work
CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-5-2002
Location Pittsburgh,PA Home of the Steelers

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 3-22-2002 at 05:47 PM Edit Post
How Long do you think the "SPLIT" will work

It still doesnt make any sense to me to split the company into two. It's not like spliting Microsoft into two you know, this is just a low budget sports entertainment show. They will be limiting wrestlers to halves, and as is we see the same shit week after week, leaving the PPV an expensive question mark.

Mr. Popularity: only on the Online Onslaught Network

Heel Heat.... and that's what we're after.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Yahoo
BigBlue86
Fella

Posts 448
Registered 1-11-2002

posted on 3-22-2002 at 06:30 PM Edit Post
The split will be good for the purpose of getting the younger guys and the newbies from the developemental areas.

Tribal Prophet
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 22
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 3-22-2002 at 08:53 PM Edit Post
I don't understand that at all. How is it supposed to be good at all for the new guys? The Rock will still talk for the first 20 minutes, the same 6 wrestlers will have the same matches, then the same 10 minute promo somewhere inbetween and finally the main event (With The Rock again). On the other show they will just use different wrestlers.

Splitting one company's 4 hour show into 2 - 2 hour shows still equals *4* hours. I don't know why everyone is of the opinion that this will open worlds of oppurtunities. With 2 hours to showcase all your top stars, new guys will be given all the push normally reserved for the LightHeavyWeight Title.

I hate to break anyone's hearts here, but if the company can't find a reason to get D-Lo Brown on tv in what, 2 years of having both RAW and Smackdown, then how are they supposed to when they only have half the time to cram all the top-level guys in?

The purpose of the split isn't to give younger guys a chance, it's the opposite. The purpose is to have a way to cut out the time that workers no one cares about are on tv. Now they can have 10 guys be all there is for RAW, 10 more be all there is for Smackdown, and not worry about over-exposing any of them, which means they don't have to fill time with guys like the Boss Man.

Tribal Prophet

etee
Fella

Posts 316
Registered 1-5-2002
Location in front of my PC.

Mood: Radio-active.

posted on 3-22-2002 at 09:28 PM Edit Post
Don't know that it is supposed to be good for the new guys. However, if you have a dozen or so top names, and they are on every single episode of both Raw and SD, then where is the time for anyone else? Split that dozen up, put half of them on one show and half on the other, and you have some TV time opened up. Also, by keeping the top folks from having to appear on every show, you lessen the chance of injury and burn-out.

Beyond that, there are two advantages:

1) The style of programming on network TV is different than it is on cable, so you can play to the different styles in a split environment. This means you can also deliver programming aimed at the Sports ENTERTAINMENT market (VKM's division) and at the SPORTS Entertainment market (Ric Flair's division). My only concern here is, that if they had thought it out, they would have given Raw to Vince, and SD to Ric.

2) There will be a sense of competition - between the writing staffs, and (to a lesser extent) between the wrestlers. This may be enough to pull the WWF out of the doldrums, especially if the crowds get fired up again.

Tribal Prophet

Posts 22
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 3-23-2002 at 05:33 AM Edit Post
I still don't buy it. If you only have 2 hours a week to get your storylines over for a PPV, you're not going to waste any time on a guy like Crash Holly. You're going to go for your major players and try to use them as much as possible.

For example, this week The Rock and Hogan covered the first 25% of the RAW show. If they already had the split, all that would happen would be Smackdown would fill the first 25% with The Undertaker and Austin. No one remotely new sees the light of day, and all the major players are still getting the same time that they get now.

Competition maybe, but who knows how seriously the backstage and crew people will take it. Certainly not as seriously as when they thought the Rival WCW would put them out of business if a couple shows in a row sucked.

Tribal Prophet

Kneecaps
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 87
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 3-23-2002 at 06:49 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tribal Prophet
I still don't buy it. If you only have 2 hours a week to get your storylines over for a PPV, you're not going to waste any time on a guy like Crash Holly. You're going to go for your major players and try to use them as much as possible.

For example, this week The Rock and Hogan covered the first 25% of the RAW show. If they already had the split, all that would happen would be Smackdown would fill the first 25% with The Undertaker and Austin. No one remotely new sees the light of day, and all the major players are still getting the same time that they get now.

Competition maybe, but who knows how seriously the backstage and crew people will take it. Certainly not as seriously as when they thought the Rival WCW would put them out of business if a couple shows in a row sucked.

Tribal Prophet

You seem to forget that the WWF only had one two-hour show when it was getting it's peak ratings. Now it has TWO unique shows. Both of which still perform phenominally (despite what most people say... Raw is still the top-rated cable program, and Smackdown does VERY well in the network rankings).

The point of the split is that it really DOES give more wrestlers more TV time. Think about it... Instead of (for example) Edge getting two 6-minute segments a week, he'll get only one 6-minute segment and someone new (or different) will get the other 6 minutes (or maybe they'll get 6 instead of the 3 they used to get). What's so hard to understand about that?

DennisIsEvil
Showstopper

Posts 631
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 3-24-2002 at 02:03 AM Edit Post
There won't be any difference whatever happens. Ok so a couple programs will get new names and a few guys will be performing different nights but that's about it.

CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-5-2002

posted on 3-24-2002 at 05:33 AM Edit Post
To be perfectly Honest, I think the whole split thing is going to end in four months or less when they realize no one really cares. See the Invasion angle as my proof.

Mr. Popularity: only on the Online Onslaught Network

Heel Heat.... and that's what we're after.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Yahoo
Tribal Prophet

Posts 22
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 3-24-2002 at 08:22 PM Edit Post
You're assuming that instead of taking Edge's two - 6 minute interviews away, that they will give him only one 6 minute interview. Who's to say that he just won't be given a 12 minute one on RAW since it won't take any time away from Austin / Undertaker's time (since they'll be on the other show).

Vince has had PLENTLY of chances to give new guys time. Shit, how many times have they tried to push a LH division, only to give up after two matches? How many years of RAW and Smackdown has he had, where he hasn't made any effort to get new guys on TV? Last time an honest effort was put in, it was when Russo was booking. Like him or not, Russo was the only guy in the last 5 years (either big company) that's cared about making new stars.

Blinding trusting Vince's word because "he says it'll be good" is what I find hard to believe about this "split".

Tribal Prophet

DennisIsEvil
Showstopper

Posts 631
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 3-24-2002 at 11:35 PM Edit Post
I guess you gotta give the devil his due. Even though a lot of his WCW stuff was stupid he did make an effort to push the newer stars. Something WWF is really sucking at right now.

brianfigliola
Banned

Posts 172
Registered 2-12-2002
Location Clinton County, Pennsylvania

posted on 3-25-2002 at 01:03 AM Edit Post
I have to agree with ya Dennis, wwf is defently lacking for new stars. The wwf needs to get off their lazy asses and recurite new wrestlers.

"Please email me pictures of feces and male sodomy."

gregtdj
And I am AWESOME

Posts 198
Registered 3-27-2002
Location Tennessee

Mood: Saucy.

posted on 3-28-2002 at 04:56 PM Edit Post
I didn't like the way the split was done on-air or off-air. I think they could have done a better job of announcing picks as opposed to just playing a big game of "Oh yeah, well I'll show you..."

If that was all they were gonna do, why didn't they just set up two podiums, wait until they were about an hour and a half into RAW and then come out and do the back and forth thing all at once. At least that way they could have played up the growing tension between the wrestlers and shown some of the bigger guys going between Vince and Flair pleading to be picked first. And I won't even touch on the stupidity of not finishing the draft on SMACKDOWN.

At any rate, it's over with and the question was "How long will the split work?" I think it's a great oppurtunity and if handled right it will continue nicely. Consider that you are talking about one show to tune in for each week.

WCW started with Saturday Night, and then moved to Monday and kept interest (in the early years.) They then added a second show and got lost trying to make more content and falling short for enough for one show.

The WWF went from RAW, and added SMACKDOWN and for quite awhile seemed to be doing well enough coming up with content for both. Now it seems like they have the same few people doing the same old thing, and if you missed SMACKDOWN, you didn't really.

This could be just the trick because now you're back to waiting a week to see how a feud is going, on either show, insted of them just mentioning it in passing or lightly touching it on the next show and losing your interest in it.

It could be something that works really well, of course we are talking about the company that dropped a can't miss shot with WWF vs WCW...

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-5-2002

posted on 4-5-2002 at 11:11 PM Edit Post
The truth is there's only so much of Jericho and the Hardys I can take in one week, so I guess the Split was a blessing in a way.
AngryJohnny
And I am AWESOME

Posts 193
Registered 3-4-2002
Location Hawaii

posted on 4-6-2002 at 08:46 AM Edit Post
This is the same writing team who blessed us with InVasion, so I STILL got six months. I hope the WWF proves me wrong.

Jkyle.com-the evolution starts here

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AngryJohnny 's Aim
Irreverse
ButtViper

Posts 3
Registered 4-7-2002

posted on 4-7-2002 at 04:38 AM Edit Post
quote:
Instead of (for example) Edge getting two 6-minute segments a week, he'll get only one 6-minute segment and someone new (or different) will get the other 6 minutes (or maybe they'll get 6 instead of the 3 they used to get). What's so hard to understand about that?

quote:
You're assuming that instead of taking Edge's two - 6 minute interviews away, that they will give him only one 6 minute interview. Who's to say that he just won't be given a 12 minute one on RAW since it won't take any time away from Austin / Undertaker's time (since they'll be on the other show).

These are both valid ideas of what could happen. Until we see what actually happens, you both are wrong.

w00t?

skitchr4u
ButtViper

Posts 4
Registered 4-9-2002

posted on 4-9-2002 at 03:52 PM Edit Post
i think that the split CAN work if they keep with it, and don't just throw in the towel after a few weeks. give it time to evolve, and see how it goes. let some of the undercard stars come out, show them to people, make people care about them. austin, rock, hhh all took time to develop into stars, let other guys like edge, jericho, benoit do the same. this CAN work, but the writing team needs to be split, and only work with one another when the world title is involved...besides, i don't have to see rock twice in one week, i am a happy person!

CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-5-2002

posted on 4-10-2002 at 04:26 AM Edit Post

These are both valid ideas of what could happen. Until we see what actually happens, you both are wrong.

Irreverse you really enjoy that quote button don't you,

I need to disagree with your little temper tantrum there, yes they both are valid ideas, but they are simply just that "ideas". We are entitled to our opinion on this forum so neither "idea" is wrong. And who are you to say what's right anyway

New Topic New Poll

go to top