TopTenPro
Banned

Posts 82
Registered 11-19-2003

Mood: Knowing jackshi

posted on 12-4-2003 at 06:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jiminy Cricket was not a restling fan! Stop wishing on a star

Wake up!

This is an anti smart rant. I am so sick of reading on this message board that we need Edge,Benoit,Gurerros,Mysterio, Lesner and other perceived "workers" in every match. Maybe that is why Smackdown's ratings are down. The only people watching are the people online that jerk off everytime you mention one of the above names. I am old school, like most of you claim, but the school opened before 1990s WCW cruiserwieght division came about. Sure those matches were exciting and are still exciting today, but why would someone want to see them every week?

TOP TEN MATCHES OF ALL TIME:
10.Angle vs. Lesner (Wrestlemania)
9.Sting v.s Ric Flair (Clash of Champions)
8.TLC (any of them)
7.Hulk Hogan v.s the Rock (Wrestlemania)
6. Hulk Hogan v.s Ultimate Warrior (Wrestlemania)
5.Magnum T.A. v.s Nikita Koloff (Great American Bash)
4.Randy Savage v.s Ricky Steamboat (Wrestlemania)
3.Bret Hart v.s Shawn Micheals (Wrestlemania)
2.Ric Flair v.s Ricky Steamboat (Great American Bash)
1.Hulk Hogan v.s Andre the Giant (Wrestlemania)

Let's hear the boos. The list is not based on work rates, it is based on making money, having the best against the best and pure newness! Who should be on the list:
Rock v.s Stone Cold
Benoit v.s Angle
Mysterio v.s Kidman
Hogan v.s Flair

A whole list of better workers against each other, but they are not, wanna know why, because I am tired of seeing it! Let's take Hogan/Flair, or Rock/Austin, should have been one time PPV meetings that need no story built up; simply the career speaks for why the match should happen. Instead Vince and Eric decide let's put this match on every week, on every PPV and free show. Now what happens to the match? Do not blame Hogan or Austin for getting old and injury prone. The Rock and Flair had to become characters of themselves just to stay over (you know that is true) with the fans. Do you people really not get bored?

It is hard to imagine that in the day of 10 minute attention spans that the "smart wrestling fan" does not get bored with the same matches every week. I love to watch Angle and Benoit, they are great, but every PPV? I can think of lots of others ways to spend my $50. Let's compare something that today's fan might be able to understand. Ricky Steamboat v.s Randy Savage, metoforicly (sp) greatest workrate match in Wrestlemania history. Now imagine Vinnie Mac put this on Survivor Series that year, and for fun Summer Slam, then the Royal Rumble, and then Wrestlemania 4 and then on Wrestling Challenge, and Superstars; get the point.

There is a certain satisfaction in not over doing the product, and still producing great moments. Let's think back to the 80s.... The arenas were full, and the USA network and TBS both had top ten wrestling shows. Now there are UPN and Spike with top ten wrestling shows and the arenas are empty. Is that because the "smart wrestling" fans are getting what they want every week on television and in the mean time are killing wrestling appeal outside of said magic box in the living room? Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.

So keep knocking the idea of WWE pushing guys like A-Train and Morgan, and other big goofs, because the fact is those guys will be the Hogan and Andre of Wrestlemania 30, while the guys you see and worship every week are played out and working with the likes of Tito Santana and Greg Valentine on the indy circuit of has beens.

[Edited on 12-4-2003 by TopTenPro]

AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

Mood: Cold

posted on 12-4-2003 at 07:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll probably edit this to add a more detailed response later but fyi, it's Jiminy Cricket not Jimmy.

Have you noticed that in every group of people there is a guy who just knows shit? He has no explanation for how he knows it or any reason to know it, he just knows shit. Be careful around that guy, he is thinking of ways to kill you.

For some odd reason I am on Twitter. You can follow me @BPF32781

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AriestheRam 's Aim   AriestheRam 's Yahoo
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2003 at 07:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm sure I would've gotten your point, but I only read as far as #7 because of my metrologically* short attention span.

*(metoforicly - there's STILL so much wrong with this that it pains me to know that he'll go back, fix the spelling again but STILL be using the wrong word)

[Edited on 12-4-2003 by angstboy]

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 12-4-2003 at 07:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So seriously, whats the over/under on this guy?

Dude, Thank you so much for comming in here and telling us how it is. Thank you for enlightening us to our own ignorance. Seriously, without you, I would have never known I was liking the wrong stuff. I should be getting more excited to see matches that primarily consist of punches, rest holds, and the occasional body slam.

Take away the context of Hogan & Andre. Take away the history, the buildup, the knowlege of each combatants place in the world of wrestling, and its just a rather dull match between a couple of big bohemuths (sp?). It was not a good match in and of itself in my opinion. Steamboat and Savage was everything that H&A was not. Its also something I never tire of seeing, contrary to your rather dubious hypothesis.

I can think for myself thanks. But way to waste your time comming here to tell us our opinions are wrong.

Who wants soup?

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2003 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
i've hated this guy since post #1, and he hasn't done anything to change my mind since.

now excuse me while i go nominate someone for "biggest dumbass".....

*edit* and look who editted their post to make aries' post make no sense. for those who didn't see it first, this thread was originally called "jimmy cricket was not......"

[Edited on 12-4-2003 by Operation Retard]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2003 at 08:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He also TRIED to fix "metrological." My new favorite word.

ModSquad004
Cop Dawg

Posts 2324
Registered 5-10-2003
Location on the ATV

Mood: no mood 4 poop

posted on 12-4-2003 at 08:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by angstboy

Is that related to metrosexual?

WOOF!

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2003 at 08:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModSquad004
quote:
Originally posted by angstboy

Is that related to metrosexual?

Only metoforicly speaking.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 12-4-2003 at 08:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think its funny that he fixed Jiminy and not "restling"

quote:
The Rock and Flair had to become characters of themselves just to stay over (you know that is true)

Erm, no. And I believe the word you are looking for is caricatures.

Who wants soup?

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2003 at 08:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay wait. I think we're getting a little carried away. This poor guy only came here to express his opinion, which as everyone knows is his right to do. Now whether or not that opinion exposes him to be a dumbass is not for us to decide. We need to simply read and accept his opinions, no matter how inaccurate, inflamitory or uncreative as they may be. Because of his writing, Ive come to realise that plodding oafs with unimaginative gimmicks and little tangible skill need to be displayed just as much as the more interesting or exciting folks.

That goes for what he was saying about wrestlers too.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 12-4-2003 at 08:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was SO going to do the good Eoghan thing and suggest that we were being a tad harsh (even if he does have a real crap handle on the English language)... but then I saw that he said we "worship" the workrate guys. Really, he's just silly. Only person I've ever seen worship a wrestler is Bud Ellock.

So I'm going to sit back and silently wonder if he will stand by his prediction of an A-Train vs Matt Morgan WMXXX Main Event.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 12-4-2003 at 08:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't want to metrofere here or anything, but shut up, Bud.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2003 at 09:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TopTenPro

This is an anti smart rant.

It sure is.

DevoniusMaximus
I do not know the secret of avatars

Posts 971
Registered 9-30-2003
Location Hamilton, OH

Mood: Subversive

posted on 12-4-2003 at 09:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TopTenProMaybe that is why Smackdown's ratings are down.

Which ratings are those, the magical ignore-the-facts ratings or the I-don't-read-Rick's-Column ratings? Last I checked Smackdown was pulling in the highest numbers of the year and most of last year. Even the Thanksgiving show was the highest rated Smackdown in a couple years for that particular holiday.

Now, if you're comparing their ratings to say, 1999-2000 at the height of their ratings then you must consider the outside factors. Firstly, wrestling is a fad, it always has been and it always will be. It's perceived as cool for a couple years, retarded for about 10, then cool again. For Smackdown to be pulling 3.6 in a down period is friggin awesome. Secondly, those casual fans who only watched cause their frathouse friends were watching will always stop watching when said frathouse friends stop as well. This results in the drop, not the fact the Lesnar is champ and Benoit is chasing. now the remarkable thing is that good wrestling will turn some of those fratboys into genuine fans. Yea we smarks know that it is a combination of story, wrestling, and character buliding that makes for a good wrestling show. The average fan, the one who has to overcome the inner felling of "This is SO stupid" will only overcome that based on athletecism. So just remember, smackdown is doing FAR better than it should be and you should be happy.

*edited for general stupidity and too add some stuff*

[Edited on 12-4-2003 by DevoniusMaximus]

outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 12-4-2003 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLopez
I was SO going to do the good Eoghan thing and suggest that we were being a tad harsh (even if he does have a real crap handle on the English language)... but then I saw that he said we "worship" the workrate guys. Really, he's just silly. Only person I've ever seen worship a wrestler is Bud Ellock.

So I'm going to sit back and silently wonder if he will stand by his prediction of an A-Train vs Matt Morgan WMXXX Main Event.

I was afraid that all of Eoghan's nice guy posts would start affecting people - be strong and resist - stay with the Dark Side

markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 12-4-2003 at 10:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since when did we all become Benoit/Guerrero/Mysterio fanboys? Sure we're fans of these guys but most of us will readily agree with reasons why they aren't main eventing.

Why do you litter your posts with parentheticals and hypotheticals telling us our opinions before we get the chance to agree/disagree with you?

And why do you feel the need to cite your opinion as reality? You're coming off like BFG in that regard. As venerated as he was, that is NOT a compliment.

If you're "sick of reading on this message board" things that you dislike, why don't you stop? We're not putting a gun to your head. Go somewhere else. Seriously. Go. We're waiting. Don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Who made you the paragon of enlightenment that gets to come into our message boards bearing the truth and trying to save all of us sinners? What would you do if someone actually agreed with you? Has it ever happened?

And why do you keep coming back?

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2003 at 10:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey Markout, be a buddy and leave the poor bud alone. He's just trying to increase his status as a budding message board poster. It's not fair that he's becoming the budd of all of our jokes and barbs. Bud bud buddy bud.

BUD

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 12-4-2003 at 11:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So do we wait till he snaps or just turf him now?

Who wants soup?

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
we give him a chance to repent. I mean, express your opinion, guy, but try to stay away from absurd generalizations and long-winded posts that make you sound like an asshole*.

*Not saying you are, just that you sound like one.

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
eoghann
Showstopper

Posts 534
Registered 2-27-2003

Mood: Angry

posted on 12-5-2003 at 12:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I tried to just let this slide. I really did.

I ignored the original post because I really don't find the poster to be very interesting in his commentary. Then it got all these posts so I thought I should at least see what the sudden interest was.

Just more of the usual obviously. A handful (I counted three at the time of posting) of intelligent rebuttals of the orginal post (which is pretty flawed if not downright wrong I have to agree) and the rest just a far greater waste of time than the original post.

No reason to think it would be otherwise I suppose. I just loathe cliques.

What, you actually read this stuff?

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-5-2003 at 01:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
waste of time, maybe. but man is it great for the post count!

but seriously. the problem is that this guy came in with a gimmick and it has yet to work, but he keeps doing it. not to mention he gives his opinions in a very condisending manner.

if the guy would just give up with the stupid lists, and make posts that say "this is what i think" instead of "this is how it is", things prolly wouldn't be so bad for him.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
TopTenPro
Banned

Posts 82
Registered 11-19-2003

posted on 12-5-2003 at 03:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The long awaited REtort

To explain the way I post, would be as absurd and ridicules as many of your replies.

When someone says that everybody around here likes Jerry Springer; I do not automatically assume that I am one of those people, if I do not in fact like Jerry Springer. So to assume I am discussing one individual out of the masses is a real narcissistic (yes kids, it is a word, not just a Luger character) view of things.

My lists and posts are for discussion, hopefully intelligent discussion that I am allowed to rebut. In my post many people surprise me with their knowledge, others are what I assume they are to begin with.

Now enough with this talk, because I feel as if I should volunteer to go to the library and read to the slow kids, they may learn. Back onto my topic.

The "prediction" for Wrestlemania 30's main event was not a true prediction, but I would bet my life savings that none of the "Smarts' Jerk-Off men" will be a part of it.

To address the "if you take away the" remark about Hogan and Andre is the stupidest thing I have seen on this post. If you, if you, if you added a beard to my mother she would look a lot like your father. The if you is the worse way to defend a topic and it seems as if some people need to resort to it. How about this, if you give Hulk Hogan the ring ability of Chris Benoit, and Andre the Giant the skills of Edge then that would be a "jerk-off" moment !! Did I win? Am I as smart as the "if you" guy? I am not looking to fight and argue, I am looking for intelligent replies from metrological wrestling fans.

By the way angstboy, you are brilliant, made me laugh.

markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 12-5-2003 at 04:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"My lists and posts are for discussion, hopefully intelligent discussion that I am allowed to rebut. In my post many people surprise me with their knowledge, others are what I assume they are to begin with"

Then don't tell us what are opinions are in your post and insult by telling us how untenable the positions that you've assigned to us are. All you will accomplish is pissing people off and guarenteeing that they won't attempt to engage you in intelligent debate.

Basically, stop acting like a budhead.

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 12-5-2003 at 04:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TopTenPro
When someone says that everybody around here likes Jerry Springer; I do not automatically assume that I am one of those people, if I do not in fact like Jerry Springer. So to assume I am discussing one individual out of the masses is a real narcissistic (yes kids, it is a word, not just a Luger character) view of things.

First let me apologize for quoting you but awhile back we had a problem with a fella who liked to edit his posts after being called on his errors and silly statements in an effort to save face. So sometimes its nice to preserve things.

When someone says that everybody around here likes Jerry Springer I presume that he believes that everybody around here likes Jerry Springer. I presume that at there is at least a large enough majority of people who like Jerry Springer so that my dislike of or apathy to Jerry Springer is the anomaly. However, if I find that the majority of people here either don't have any particular emotion about Jerry Springer or don't make a special effort to voice their approval of Jerry Springer than I conclude that the "someone" who originally made the statement was either misinformed, making an unsubstantiated presumption or simply painting his own perceptions as reality.

Or perhaps its just an attempt to disparage your audience in an effort to elevate yourself before doing anything... like suggesting that the audience that has already corrected multiple spelling errors on your part has an inferior vocabulary than you.

quote:
To address the "if you take away the" remark about Hogan and Andre is the stupidest thing I have seen on this post. If you, if you, if you added a beard to my mother she would look a lot like your father. The if you is the worse way to defend a topic and it seems as if some people need to resort to it. How about this, if you give Hulk Hogan the ring ability of Chris Benoit, and Andre the Giant the skills of Edge then that would be a "jerk-off" moment !! Did I win? Am I as smart as the "if you" guy? I am not looking to fight and argue, I am looking for intelligent replies from metrological wrestling fans.

The purpose of the "take away" arguement was to make a point. The point is that different people judge things on different standards. Your list presupposes that there is an objective method of judgement to allow us to put together a definitive list. Your following paragraphs present an arguement where as your method of judgement is in fact the only one and that the methods that you presume will be used by the members of this board are invalid. Your writing further seeks to "educate" these uninformed individuals as to the error in their presupposed reasoning and the correct way to do things. 2Hot's attempts to make the point that rather than making this dubious effort it might be best to leave individuals to their own method of judgement. After all, it is personal perception and nothing more. Its about individuality... and a wise man once told me that only a fool cares at all about anyone else in the world. A wise man cares about himself and noone else and does what is best for his own preservation. That man was Hulk Hogan.

And presuming that EVERY ONE of your statements is correct, what is the point of making them in this format? If the "smarts" are wrong in their adoration of "smarts' jerk off men" and it is the elevation of "smarts' jerk off men" that is results in the current failings of Smackdown, is any of this in the hands of the "smarts'" in question? Does the failure of the "smarts' jerk off men" not prove that the "smarts" are wrong and thus lead the industry to go in the other direction? In that case wouldn't Vince McMahon look to his failing ratings, realize that his efforts to satisfy the "smarts" was ill fated and choose to fire the "smarts' jerk off men" and quickly hire Hulk Hogan. Randy Savage and Brutus Beefcake to return to his past successes? What difference does it make if the "smarts" are unable to see this?

Did he get more abrasive since the last go around or did I just forget how bad it was?

EDIT: Silly spelling error.

[Edited on 12-5-2003 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
TopTenPro
Banned

Posts 82
Registered 11-19-2003

posted on 12-5-2003 at 04:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you !!

Now this is what I wanted, wrestling talk !
Bad thing is I gotta get going to bed, new job tommorow. I will be on again and hope to respond to your points, although I musyt say I find them correct in content. FOR NOW.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top