The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The Curling Thread
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 2-26-2005 at 04:45 PM Edit Post
Well, Ontario's been on some kind of a magic rally. They won three games yesterday! I think they have won six or seven games in row and now they are in the 2-3 match today against British Columbia. I am going to have to pull for B.C. in this one. If the final is British Columbia vs. Manitoba, I do not care who wins it. However, if Ontario sneaks into the final, I am going to have to have to throw my support behind Manitoba. Yes, I am anti-Ontario.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 2-27-2005 at 03:48 PM Edit Post
Good lord! I cannot believe Ontario beat British Columbia. Jenn Hanna's rink is on a tear. I have to congratulate them for their current winning streak. They have been very impressive.

It is Manitoba vs. Ontario in today's final (2:00PM NST/1:30PM AST/12:30PM EST/11:30AM CST/10:30AM MST/9:30AM PST, on CBC). I am pulling for Manitoba to bring the title back to the Prairies.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

ArmyofOne
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1457
Registered 11-21-2002
Location Next to Trump's Wall

Mood: Fartz

posted on 2-27-2005 at 04:12 PM Edit Post
Oh shit yes. I could start watch curling for the lovely Miss Pascale Letendre. Nice, now I get it.

EDIT: I had a pic up of the team with the hottie known as Pascale Letendre, but the pic was huge and messed up the thread. She is still hot though, and I am a fan.

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by ArmyofOne]

OO's Secretary of Defense

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   ArmyofOne 's Aim
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 2-27-2005 at 11:09 PM Edit Post
A very exciting finish to the Scott. That was an amazing shot to win it for Manitoba. I wasn't cheering for either team... maybe cheering a little for Ontario, because of Ms. Pascale, but also cheering against them, because I knew if they won, bigfucktardgoalie would have posted in this thread about how great Team Ontario is.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 2-27-2005 at 11:10 PM Edit Post
CP and Army, you guys are right. I did not really think she was hot from the picture CP posted in this thread, but watching her on television this afternoon, I was thought to myself, "Goddamn, she's fine!"

What a game! I started out cheering for Manitoba, but my support was wavering after I noticed Ontario was playing a much better game, and Jenn Hanna was making a whack of extremely difficult shots. She was awesome. However, in the end, Manitoba is your 2005 Scott Tournament of Hearts champions. They won 8-6. You had to see Jennifer Jones' last shot - the shot that won the game. That shot was spectacular. Both of these teams really deserved that title. Unfortunately, only one team can win in sports. Today, that team was the team from Manitoba.

Congratulations to all of this year's Scott Tournament of Hearts competitors. I will be in London, Ontario for next year's Scott. It is only an hour down the road. I fully intend on catching all of the action next year.

And, on Saturday, the Brier begins! I cannot wait.

spongebob
And I am AWESOME

Posts 100
Registered 1-29-2004
Location Winnipeg

Mood: restless

posted on 2-28-2005 at 12:10 AM Edit Post
I guess it's time for me to comeback and say a big shoutout to my Jennifer Jones she maybe 30 but she is still not only hawt she is talented and to think I was chatting with her just last month at a bonspiel.

Oh and I know that Cathy Gauither is older still but in person she's a sweetie...yes I'm biased because we used to curl together and we were talking about playing mixed together this year but the Worlds mess that up.

What a great shot Jen made to win!!!!

They will win the Worlds...Imagine that a women's team that can actually ccll and play an aggressive game....woot!

I should have changed my signature long ago but I've been procrasti... Ah fuck it! I'll do it later.

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

Mood: in utter disbel

posted on 2-28-2005 at 12:26 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slade
I did not really think she was hot from the picture CP posted in this thread, but watching her on television this afternoon, I was thought to myself, "Goddamn, she's fine!"

yeah, none of the pictures I could find (which isn't very many, it's not like she is well known) did her justice. I first noticed her, watching her first game against Canada, and thought she was good looking. Watching through the rest of the week confirmed it.

Tough loss to take, but just to get there the way they did, they deserve all the credit in the world.

On a side note, it appears that this was Colleen Jones' last Scott, as part of that team anyway. They all but confirmed that after the Olympic trials (and Olympics if they get that far) the team is splitting up. Which is sad, because they are so damn good.

Two Time! Two Time! MLB Survivor winner

myspace

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 2-28-2005 at 01:09 AM Edit Post
Yeah, CP, I had read an article on Friday where it appeared as though a few of the members of the team are saying that the team may disband following the Olympic trials or games (depending on how they go). That would be very disappointing considering how talented they are. However, I heard in the middle of the week that one of the reasons why they do not compete at many events - only focusing their energy on the Scott and the Worlds - is that they feel drained after competing at those events. The 5 Scott champions train year-round, but it seems that they do not have enough energy to play at several tournaments and bonspiels throughout the year. If that is the case, it is understandable that they may split up and/or retire from elite competition after next year. Another thing is that Colleen Jones and Nancy Delahunt are both 45, Kim Kelly is 43 and Mary-Anne Arsenault is 37. Most of the team is reaching an age when retiring from elite competition becomes very common in curling.

I think I may have to fly home early in December for a long Christmas break to ensure that I get to see them compete live before they call it quits. I think next winter will be a great one for me in terms of catching world class curling competition. I can catch some of the Olympic trials in Halifax in December and head down the road to London for the Scott Tournament of Hearts.

ArmyofOne
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1457
Registered 11-21-2002
Location Next to Trump's Wall

Mood: Fartz

posted on 3-2-2005 at 10:45 PM Edit Post
I actually saw some Curling today on ESPN2 and I enjoyed it. It was pretty cool. Granted, I am pretty heavily drugged after spending the night in the hospital and didn't have much to do (I have kidney stones and will be laid up for the next few days until they pass, not fun) during the day, but it was cool nonetheless. Maybe you know what it was specifically, but it had a different format then what I would have thought. It was a North America vs. Europe contest where they had to do single trick shots, i.e. curl the stone through two stones set in front of the box area and try to get points. This may be old hand for you curling regulars, but I thought it was pretty cool and just wanted to share that with you crazy curlers. Count me a fan though. Going to scan for it on digital cable now.

OO's Secretary of Defense

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   ArmyofOne 's Aim
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-4-2005 at 04:39 AM Edit Post
That sounds like you were watching a hot shot skills competition. Those are pretty cool. If it was North America vs. Europe, it must have the Continental Cup that you were watching. That event takes place every year in either November or December. So what you were watching is at least 3 months old.

Anyway, you should like curling, Army of One because you are from the weird state. Minnesota may be a part of the United States, but it gives me the impression that it has more in common with Canada than the States. Perhaps, it is because Minnesota actually has real winters and Minnesotans seem to really appreciate winter sports.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-5-2005 at 01:48 AM Edit Post
The Brier starts tomorrow! This year it is being held in Edmonton, Alberta. This year's field is an odd one. It is missing many of the top names in curling. That does not mean that it is a weak field, only that many teams are not well known. The only big names that qualified for this year's Brier are Randy Ferbey, Wayne Middaugh and Brad Gushue.

Jeff Stoughton and Kerry Burtnyk will not be at the Brier (not that either of them have in a while, anyway), nor will Pat Ryan, or Kevin Martin, whose rink is ranked #1 in Canada this year. And, most surprising of all, is that Russ Howard's rink will not be at the Brier this year. They lost the final of the New Brunswick provincial playdowns. Also, last year's Brier Champions, Mark Dacey's rink will not be at the Brier to defend their title, as they lost the final of the Nova Scotia provincial playdowns. This is but another reason why I support replacing Northern Ontario with a Team Canada, albeit a completely partisan reason.

Here's a link to a nice preview article at CBC.ca, giving a few details about each rink and what their chances of making it into the Brier final four are: History Says Ferbey's the Brier Favourite

A quick look at each team in this year's Brier:

AB Randy Ferbey, David Nedohin, Scott Pfeifer, Marcel Rocque
BC Deane Horning, Fred Thomson, Don Freschi, Rob Nobert
MB Randy Dutiaume, Dave Elias, Greg Melnichuk, Shane Kilgallen
NB Wade Blanchard, Mark Dobson, Paul Dobson, Geoff Porter
NL Brad Gushue, Mark Nichols, Keith Ryan, Jamie Korab
NO Mike Jakubo, Jon Solberg, Luc Ouimet, Lee Toner
NS Shawn Adams, Paul Flemming, Craig Burgess, Kelly Mittelstadt
ON Wayne Middaugh, Graeme McCarrel, Joe Frans, Scott Bailey
PEI Rod MacDonald, Kevin Champion, Phillip Gorveatt, Mike Dillon
QC Jean-Michel Ménard, François Roberge, Éric Sylvain, Maxime Elmaleh
SK Pat Simmons, Jeff Sharp, Chris Haichert, Ben Hebert
Y/T Steve Moss, Darcy Moshenko, Rod Pielak, Jim Sosiak

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-8-2005 at 10:57 PM Edit Post
So, the Brier is in Draw 10 this afternoon. Alberta is sitting at the top of the field with a 5-1 record (and they are four up on Manitoba, right now). Their one loss came at the hands of Shawn Adams' Nova Scotia rink. Nova Scotia started off slow, but they just beat what I think are the two top rinks - Alberta and Newfoundland & Labrador - in back-to-back games. They are looking good.

I would not be disappointed if Newfoundland wins the Brier. I am pulling for Gushue just as much (maybe even more) than Adams. I just love the way his rink plays. They are awesome and really fun to watch. They are in a tight match against British Columbia right now. I hope they win it to avoid dropping to 4-3. All of the teams that are at least 5-2 going into the final two days of round robin play will be in a good position to make the playoffs, mind you any shuffling of the rankings are possible over the next seven draws.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-11-2005 at 01:11 AM Edit Post
With only one draw remaining in the round robin, there are still five teams in contention for the final playoff spot. Here are the current standings:

Alberta (Ferbey) 9-1
Manitoba (Dutiaume) 8-3
Nova Scotia (Adams) 7-3
Newfoundland & Labrador (Gushue) 6-4
Québec (Menard) 6-4
British Columbia (Horning) 6-5
Saskatchewan (Simmons) 6-5
Ontario 5-5
New Brunswick (Blanchard) 3-7
Prince Edward Island (MacDonald) 3-7
Northern Ontario (Jakubo) 3-7
Yukon/NWT (Moss) 0-11

British Columbia and Saskatchewan are both just hanging on by a thread, boys. They need both Newfoundland and Québec to lose tonight to go into a tiebreaker. The good thing for them is that Québec is playing Alberta, so it is very likely that they will lose. On the other hand, one cannot be too sure about Newfoundland losing. They are playing Ontario in their final match, and Middaugh's rink has not been playing that great in this year's Brier. I would expect Newfoundland to win and advance to the playoffs, as Québec loses to Alberta.

If Ontario manages to pull off the win, there could be a 5-way tie for fourth place. I do not have the foggiest clue how they would perform tiebreakers between five teams. It would be something to see. However, I do not think it will happen. At least, I hope it will not happen. I am pulling for Gushue's rink to get the fourth and final playoff spot.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-11-2005 at 04:47 AM Edit Post
It turns out that no tie breakers will be needed tomorrow. Québec beat Alberta 7-6 and New Foundland & Labrador lost to Ontario 7-5. Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Québec will be competing in the Brier playoffs starting tomorrow.

Here are the final round robin results of this year's Brier:

Alberta (Ferbey) 9-2
Manitoba (Dutiaume) 8-3
Nova Scotia (Adams) 8-3
Québec (Menard) 7-4
Newfoundland & Labrador (Gushue) 6-5
British Columbia (Horning) 6-5
Saskatchewan (Simmons) 6-5
Ontario 6-5
Prince Edward Island (MacDonald) 4-7
Northern Ontario (Jakubo) 3-8
New Brunswick (Blanchard) 3-8
Yukon/NWT (Moss) 0-11

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 3-11-2005 at 04:28 PM Edit Post
Well, I can't even be too disappointed, because I think Saskatchewan's record is probably better than what their ability is. They are a young team, and they'll learn from this. Right now, I'm cheering for no one in particular, just against Ferbey.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-12-2005 at 01:45 PM Edit Post
So it will be Nova Scotia vs. Manitoba in today's semi-final. Nova Scotia beat Québec 6-4 in yesterday's three-four game and Manitoba lost to Alberta 7-4 to drop into the semi-final. I am still cheering for my team to go all the way, but should they lose, I will throw my support behind Manitoba in the final. I want Alberta to lose just as much, or more, as I want Nova Scotia to win. Anybody but Ferbey. He's such a dick.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 3-12-2005 at 06:29 PM Edit Post
Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey! Ferbey!

Who wants soup?

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-12-2005 at 08:15 PM Edit Post
You, sir, are the devil!

Nova Scotia just scored a big 4 in the 3rd to go up 5-2. I know it is really early going in the game, so nothing is set in stone, but scoring 4 points in one end is the kind of thing that can put momentum on your side. If Nova Scotia can steal in the 4th or limit Manitoba to a single point and score a deuce or more in the fifth, I think the game is a lock. We need Nova Scotia in the final. They beat Alberta in the round robin and Manitoba lost both of their games against Alberta. Odds are in Nova Scotia's favour to beat the evil Alberta squad.

Let's bring the Brier back to Nova Scotia for the second year in a row!

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-16-2005 at 04:47 AM Edit Post
This may make no sense to anybody that did not see Bonestein's last post, which was wiped out by the latest board attack. But, here goes...

Yes, I did notice Ferbey's frosted tips. It kept distracting me when he was throwing his rocks. I kept looking at his frosted tips and asking, "are those red, burgundy or chocolate?" And no matter what colour his hair was, why would he do that? Man, just imagine if he had both frosted tips and his tanning salon disaster skin colour from that commercial at the same time! That would be priceless!

I just read that the Canada Cup started yesterday (or today). I had no idea there would be another big curling tournament right away. It will be interesting to see who gets the final spots in December's Olympic trials.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-27-2005 at 04:52 PM Edit Post
Did anybody know that the Women's World Championships were this week? I did not have a clue that the event would take place so early. And then I found out that Canada lost the 3-4 match against Dordi Nordby's Norwegian rink to end up shut out from the medal podium - only the fourth time Canada has ever failed to get a medal at the Women's World Championships. Norway lost the 2-3 match to take bronze. The final is being played right now between the United States and Sweden.

As much as I do not like Randy Ferbey, at least I can feel very confident that he will bring home the gold. In two weeks, it will be another gold for the man with the frosted tips!

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 3-27-2005 at 05:03 PM Edit Post
All curling and no hockey

makes Canadians GO CRAZY!!

Who wants soup?

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-27-2005 at 05:30 PM Edit Post
I guess all those years of not winning the Alberta provincial playdowns has made Kevin Martin go absolutely bonkers.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 3-28-2005 at 12:44 AM Edit Post
The medal positions at the 2005 Women's World Championships are as follows:

Gold: Sweden
Silver: United States
Bronze: Norway

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 4-2-2005 at 07:45 PM Edit Post
Mods please close this thread. That's right, I said it. Fuck the curling thread! The Daddy of the Curling Thread's arch nemesis has come right up in here to say FUCK the curling thread!

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4741
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 4-4-2005 at 03:16 PM Edit Post
Why do you insist on starting a flame war?

Edit: In curling news, the Men's World Championships started on Saturday. Right now, the United States and Scotland are undefeated at 3-0 and Canada is tied with three other teams at 2-1. Canada goes up against the United States at noon EST. The game is being broadcast on the CBC. If I did not have class, I would find a sports bar to go watch it. There is no way the United States will remain undefeated once Draw 6 has ended. This is Ferbey's tournament.

[Edited on 4-4-2005 by Slade]

<<  5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top