The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The towel
DHMBAM
Banned

Posts 9
Registered 11-7-2003

Mood:

posted on 11-7-2003 at 05:53 PM Edit Post
The towel

As a long time fan of professional wrestling I am ashamed of it. As a wrestling fan you come to expect to live a double life. When a fan is around friends "wrestling is fake" is the comment that comes out quite often; when a fan is alone only passion for the programs are evident. The only true time a wrestling fan could come out of the closet was in the mid 90s,with the Monday night war, it was wrestling's version of east and west coast rap battles. It was a good time to be a fan.
See my problem is I was a fan way before that, in the 1980s. I started watching wrestling in 1984/85. Living in Virginia the only real option was NWA, not bad option if I do say so myself. My first time viewing wrestling was not on TBS, but on a faint, snowy channel that barely came in called USA. The WWF, a hard thing to get at the time in my area of Virginia. It was like going to the circus, all the biggest, craziest, and out of control animals were there. An instant hook.
Now seeing the WWF got me hooked and like a drug I needed to see more. Well, the WWF was not available much so the alternative NWA became the fix of choice. The animals were not as big, and not as colorful, but man did they put on a show. Average looking guys with southern speech patterns kicking butts and not caring who was upset by their actions. Magnum, Blanchard, Anderson, and Rhodes all guys that put more fear in a person then most average men.
The passion these men had every Saturday morning was enough to make a young fan's eyes pop out of their head. The true feeling of not knowing what is going to happen next kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Sneak attacks, blood, bats, and run away cars, man that gets the blood flowing.
The only way to see a title match was to go out to the arena live, and in living color! No title matches happened on television, and if they did a title was almost sure to change hands. The Midnights beat the Rock'n'Roll express on television, my bed broke from anger of jumping on it. Tully beat Ronnie for the television title, my bed broke from anger (to what is now the "Dusty finish") from jumping on it. The sport invoked passion, a passion I wish existed today.
The wrestlers today do not seem to have the passion anymore. I would go on record and challenge any pro wrestler out there to show me that the sport still has passion.
Today's wrestler is a user; user of drugs, alcohol, and body enhancements; that is not what I am talking about. Today's wrestler uses the sport to further their life in other ways not involving wrestling. The wrestlers of today want to be movie stars, TV actors, endorsement cartoons and anywhere but in the squared circle. These men today cannot make it in their chosen professions so they use the wrestling organizations to get where they want to go and leave, with no respect for this sport.
Lets look at today's wrestler, one champion openly admits he doesn't have a passion for the sport and plans to be out of it in the next few years. The former champion, whom the industry has been centralized around is on a honeymoon with the bosses' daughter looking for work in Hollywood. The former head guy uses wrestling between movies, and has lost all knowledge of what made him so electrify in the first place that it is embarrassing when he steps in the ring. This is what the new fans get for a product, but none of them seem to see it.
The new fans cheer when the Rock comes to the ring to disrespect this sport. The new fan excepts wrestler A against wrestler B every single week on television or a pay per view. The new fan is more of a puppet then Howdy Doody. How do the new fans except this garbage put on our plates every week, how do I put up with the garbage?
Today there is a poll on an official web site about matches on a bloody new DVD that is being put out. It asks the fan to choose the match they want to see most. There are some real 70s 80s and 90s classics on the list, I will knock the matches because of a time frame. The fan of today is choosing the late 90s matches, a few choose a match from the 70s that just so happened to be featured by this company on their late night Saturday program, but the best ones were overlooked. Tully Blanchard, a real a-hole of a character and Magnum T.A, the what would have been in this sport have 5% of the vote, 5%? How is that possible? Today's fan make me sick because they do not respect history.
History is what makes any sport great. Wrestling has a long and great history and these fans do not care. Well, I do not care about these fans, nor do I care about this sport any longer. So to wrestling I say good-bye. I ask Arnold Skakland to throw in my towel (to the new fan, I ask Linda McManhon to throw it) and end my reign prematurely.

[Edited on 11-7-2003 by DHMBAM]

mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 11-7-2003 at 07:57 PM Edit Post
On the one hand that is a pretty good rant. I am 29 years old and can safely say that for at least 23 years I’ve been a wrestling fan. There is a lot to be said about the old school stuff especially in the NWA back in those days. On the other hand a short trip to wrestlecrap will remind you of plenty of silly stuff back then too, and the only reason these guys didn’t shill everything from breakfast cereal to Hollywood careers is probably because there was no market for such things back then. Also, remember the kayfabe was in full effect back then, a wrestler who went on a TV show for an interview probably did so in character. There are plenty of screen and television actors that are not followers of their particular medium either, many tend to stay away so as not to emulate someone else too closely , sure they show up for premieres, parties, and awards shows, but do you really think Jennifer Aniston spends her time watching sitcoms all week, probably not. I for one like for the wrestler to give his true opinion, as long as its in taste and doesn’t hurt the product. I also think your “retirement” will probably last about as long as Macho King Randy Savage’s did. If you didn’t like the product just a little you wouldn’t take the time to visit a wrestling web site and certainly wouldn’t post a super long rant. At its heart wrestling has always been sports-entertainment, sometimes Vince presents too much of one over the other, and as of late he has presented something I can’t define as either/or, but things are turning around and for every thing there is to hate there is still a lot to like. Besides, even if your manager did throw in the towel, you can always come back next month under a mask with a completely new identity
ModSquad004
Cop Dawg

Posts 2324
Registered 5-10-2003
Location on the ATV

Mood: no mood 4 poop

posted on 11-7-2003 at 08:07 PM Edit Post
good for you. The fans don't care about you either.

History, shmistory, I was probably 6 years old when Tully fought Magnum and I didn't have cable then, so I couldn't have watched it. And many new fans are probably so young they can't remember those matches, let alone even being alive when those matches took place. Shit, you can't find Tully vs. Magnum at your local Blockbuster video, so how do you expect today's fans to find it? Hell, how do you expect most of today's fans to know about it? At least 80% of fans are casual fans anyway, not hardcore fans like you and I. Why SHOULD they care? Where does it say in the Handbook to Being a Casual WWE Fan does it say you must know all the great matches that were played on a small cable station 20 years before you started watching wrestling? I bet the average fan who watched Tully vs Magnum then never saw Gorilla Monsoon take on... fuck, I don't know who he ever wrestled. Does that make them less of fans? Should I be sick of those fans, too? To all of these people, wrestling is simply entertainment. And for them, it need not be taken so damn seriously.

As far as passion, goes... Where do you get off saying that Triple H has no passion for this business? Just because he's going to be in one movie? He put so much damn work in the ring, gone through many obstacles, and worked really hard to get where he is today. The endorsements, the movie, the alternate opportunities to make himself some money, give himself more exposure... He's enjoying the benefits of his success and you are a liar if you say you wouldn't do the same if you had the opportunity. By the way, Terry Funk has been in some movies, and did a car commercial at home. Are you telling me that Terry Funk has no respect for his business because he decided to make some extra money, try something else. Raven wrote an issue of a Spider-Man comic. A hex on Raven for not having passion to be in the ring all the time, spending those few precious days outside of the ring to write a comic book! These guys love wrestling, and have a passion for it, but that doesn't mean they should be precluded from doing other things they may be interested in. They didn't use wrestling as a stepping stone. They're reaping the rewards of being extremely successful in their field of work.

You have a problem with what today's fans like. Fine. Just because the fans like something you obviously don't doesn't mean that they're necessarily blind to the fallicies of what they like. They just want to be entertained, and they are being entertained. You have a difference in how you become entertained. That doesn't make you any better and them any worse. Get off your high horse.

You sound like the smartalecs who goff when someone has finally heard Red Hot Chili Peppers because of By The Way, but has never heard Freaky Styley through its entirety. "You're not a real RHCP fan, then. You don't know their history." I say, whatever. You get in when you get in, and you like what you like. I can't expect my 15 year old neice to go out on her own and listen to Freaky Styley just because she likes By The Way - even though I can suggest it to her. And we all know it's much easier to find Freaky Styley then an old copy of Tully vs. Magnum.

So go ahead, throw in your towel. You may not like what the product is now, fine. You may decide that wrestling is not for you. Fine. But don't sign up here, bitch about all this on your very first post here and expect us to sympathize with you. I'm still going to watch it until it stops entertaining me. And if and when that happens, I'm not going to bitch about how the fans are lemmings who are too stupid to realize they're watching shoddy product. I'm just going to let it be.

WOOF!

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 11-7-2003 at 09:46 PM Edit Post
What mod squad said. Or, as (I think) FFC would put it, "Here comes the WAAAAAAAAAHMBULENCE!!!!"

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 11-7-2003 at 11:30 PM Edit Post
To think that a Mod doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of Gorilla Monsoon's greatest matches! I feel like I've been dropped on my medulla oblongata

I have only fuzzy memories of watching the McMahon promotion in the 60's (on a UHF channel in western Massachusetts), and those TV matches were pretty repetetive, even by wrestling standards. The promos were of course straight kayfabe, shouted into a mic held by a skinny Vince. However, I did get to see enough wrestling from around the country in the early to mid 80's to appreciate what was cool about NWA, UWF, WCCW, and even the AWA. Like favorite sports teams of the past, they look better and better as one gets annoyed with current performers. But back in the day there were no doubt complaints that Arn was a second-string substitute Anderson, or that Flair didn't deserve to be called Nature Boy.

Besides, even if Arnold Skaaland throws in your towel, you might run for President some day.

doublee
The Immortal One

Posts 4014
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Raleigh, NC

Mood: Mr. Jiggy-Fly

posted on 11-8-2003 at 12:14 AM Edit Post
What do you expect when the casual fan is a very limited core age group?. How many fans who knew who Lou Thesz was 15 years ago? Only hard core fans care about history.

Funny how you only mention stars of the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but make no mention of the true legends such as Lou Thesz, Buddy Rogers, Fritz Von Erich, or Bobo Brazil. Your love of historical wrestling seems sort of limited.

You know what while we are at it let's moan and complain about casual baseball fans who know nothing about Mickey Mantle or Bob Gibson. Let's complain about casual football fans who know nothing about Sid Luckman or Chuck Bednarik. History never means much to the bulk of mainstream pop culture. I say we crucify all Britney Spears fans who don't know anything about The Who or Led Zeppelin.

<-- If 'ya ain't down with that Bart's got two words for 'ya...

http://www.myspace.com/doubleenc
Doublee's Sports Blog

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   doublee 's Yahoo
DHMBAM
Banned

Posts 9
Registered 11-7-2003

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2003 at 01:07 AM Edit Post
To the attackers

This article was in response to the wrestling industry that Vince McManhon has created. Today's product is a discredit to the first WWWF champion Buddy Rogers (I know the histories) and all the great men and woman before him. The wrestlers are a disrespect to the past legends of this sport. I am not blaming the casual fan for being entertained while watching the grass grow, I am upset at the guy letting the grass grow, the promoters.
Vince is an innovator, but he ran out of good wrestling ideas ten years ago. The man who made wrestling global has lost the ability to entertain. Granted, it is not easy to run a company and produce multiple television shows on a weekly basis (I assume),but step back. I never recall hearing Ted Turner (NO WRESTLING TIE IN HERE) being involved in all of CNN's programs, I do not expect Don King to train the next boxing world champion, and I have yet to see Joe Gibbs get into a NASCAR to drive when the ratings are down, Vince back up!
Katie Vick, burning dumpsters, crashing limos, testicular electrocution, are total nonsense; and that's just one character! Get real. As a fan I do not mind that someone can spray green mist, I love that someone can shack their arms and legs and Hulk-up, but this is getting stupid.
Wrestling of the past is not without this, my mind does not block it out. I remember Laser-TRON and the New Breed, but why doesn't anyone else? It is said if you ignore history you are doomed to repeat it, HELLO, are we going retro again? This is the early 90s WWF that was getting it's butt kicked every week by Nitro.
The fact is I am waiting for the day Matt Hardy leaves and comes back as "The Spittin Carolian Redneck" (ALA Tito Santana's "El Matador") a move that makes no sense. Vince has long pushed for wrestlers to be themselves to a point. A decade ago Bill Goldberg would not have been brought in as that, he would have been called "DA Man"; how soon before Vince goes back to that?
It is up to us the fan to fight City Hall, fight McManhon. He does not belong on television, his daughter does not belong on television, his wife and son do not belong on television. Let the wrestlers wrestle. Learn from the past Vince (Verne Gagna liked his family on TV also) stop this insanity, turn to, wait a second who can he turn to?
The wrestlers, no most of them do not care about anyone but themselves. Writers? they have been lead by Stephanie for so long I am surprised they can tie their shoes at this point. The fans, yes the fans, let them role with it. Not Joe Average fan, not even the smarts or the pissed-off guys like me, how about the guys who love the sport. The men who have given the blood, the sweat and the tears.
Elect Flair, Heyman, Eaton, and a few select others to run wrestling into the future.

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by DHMBAM]

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2003 at 02:49 AM Edit Post
times change. sports change. not even football is the same game it was when it started.

if you dont like the product out there today, stop watching and live with your fond memories of wrestling past. there's nothing wrong with this. maybe for its time to move on. and in a few years maybe you'll say "hey, i wonder whats goin on with wrestling now" and you'll check it out. maybe you'll like it. maybe you wont.

but if you're looking for sympathy or for people to agree with you, i'd have to say a message board filled with people who enjoy the current product would be the wrong place to go.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
eoghann
Showstopper

Posts 534
Registered 2-27-2003

Mood: Angry

posted on 11-8-2003 at 04:15 AM Edit Post
Well you're entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to tell you you're somehow wrong not to enjoy the current product.

However, I do take exception to your notion that current wrestlers are somehow discredit previous ones. These guys work hard day after day. They deserve at least your basic respect whether you enjoy what they do or not.

As for the rest of your points. To be honest, I just don't care. I'm enjoying a lot of current wrestling and your "crusade" to change it has no interest to me.

What, you actually read this stuff?

rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

Mood: Deservedly Smug

posted on 11-8-2003 at 07:38 AM Edit Post
I'm gonna be bold enough to speak for a few people here (I really don't think they'd mind), and take up the gauntlet you just threw down.
quote:
originally posted by DHMBAM
I would go on record and challenge any pro wrestler out there to show me that the sport still has passion.

and keep in mind, this is just off the top of my head. feel free to add on, boys.

Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho
Kurt Angle
John Cena
Brock Lesnar
Triple fucking H (tell me again he doesn't live, breath, and shit this fucking sport; I can't quite believe I heard that)
Steve Austin
Ric by god Flair
Shane McMahon
Shawn Michaels
Brian Kendrick
Amy Dumas
Rob Van Dam
Bill DeMott
Eddie Godamn Guerrero
Bob Holly
Molly Holly
Rey Mysterio
Zach Gowan

Maybe you get the point by now. Besides, I know the boys (and girls) will fill in the blanks, if you haven't. These people, I suspect, would beg to differ on the subject of the lack of "passion" in pro wrestling today. I think a few of them would kick your ass for suggesting it. Some of the men and women on this list came into wrestling by chance, for others, it was the fullfillment of a life-long dream, but they all have one thing in common. They love this sport. They have suceeded, and they have failed. They have worked hurt, tired, bleeding, broken-hearted, and drained --- but I guarantee every one of them would tell you how lucky they are, just to have worked.

And since I'm on my soapbox, all god-like and speaking on the behalf of people I haven't even met, I might as well go for broke by speaking for my fellow OOers, as well. We are not casual fans. Some of us came in during the Attitude Era, and some of us have been watching longer than is probably healthy. We watch because we love the sport. We bitch because we love the sport. We occasionally make vain threats to stop watching, because we love the sport. But, in the end, we're addicted. And why? Because, however silly the storyline, however disappointing the use of talent, however insane Vince may be this week --- these are men and women who have become like family, and they keep going out every week, giving their hearts and their bodies to entertain us. And though we may sit in the comfort of our recliners and critic their performance, in our hearts we know the truth: We owe them.

The passion you saw on Saturday mornings was born of men who often did not know if they were getting paid. These were men with no future beyond the mat, nowhere to turn when they were hurt or burned out. These were men who left their families for weeks at a time, men who got hurt and men who died for the sport they loved. Is that your "passion?" In that case, I'm sorry. I'm sorry today's wrestler has the opportunity to make enough money to know his family is secure. I'm sorry they can take time off to rehab their injuries and extend their careers. I'm sorry they can now become more than just a seedy carnival attraction. Damn Vince Mcmahon for daring to propel this sport into the mainstream. Damn him, for giving wrestlers the opportunities they have today. Damn him for being a visionary, for taking chances, and for revolutionizing the business.

Dude, I respect the fact that you took the time to rant like that. But if you are ashamed of pro-wrestling, then with all due respect, fuck you. Because too many have sacrificed far too much, and too many continue that tradition today, to depend on the approval of fans like you. Turn off the tv. Throw out your magazines and video tapes. And don't bother ranting any more. Because, if you don't love pro wrestling for everything it is, as well as everything it was, then it's you who has no passion for this sport, my friend.

Stop posting. Kill yourself.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   rasslinjunkie 's Aim   rasslinjunkie 's Yahoo
markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 11-8-2003 at 07:47 AM Edit Post
Fine. You loathe wrestling in it's current incarnation. Why then would you:

A. Watch it enough to have such vivid complaints.
and
B. Complain to a forum of people whom it would have taken you two minutes to realize probably wouldn't agree with you and wouldn't care regardless.

Stop watching. Stop posting. If wrestling is so devoid of value, it's people like you who are keeping it alive.

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

Stormtrooper
The Great One

Posts 3635
Registered 1-5-2002
Location under glass ceiling

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2003 at 04:39 PM Edit Post
Tully vs Magnum is kickass. But I dare you to watch some of the crap WWF was churning out in the 80's to mid 90's and tell me it was better than Kurt, Benoit, Brock, Guerrero, etc.

THE CHAMP

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 11-8-2003 at 05:33 PM Edit Post
This guy might be a bitter old man. But he has the same birthday as me. So I'm cool with him.
Actually, not so much. People who come on a message board to bash the subject matter of that board have far too much time on their hands. You don't like the current product? Fine. You had some decent points and even some good ideas in your posts (Ric Flair and Paul Heyman being key players in creative would probably be gold). But, you know what? It probably isn't going to happen. And ultimately, I think the people above have proven that noone cares either way. Things are fine now. They could be better, but they could be worse.
As for the current fan having no respect for history, I just became a hardcore fan at Royal Rumble 2003 (I think Angle/Benoit officially sold me after a couple months of casual fandom). I joined these boards shortly afterwards. In that short time, I've been doing my research. I've seen some of the classic matches (Steamboat / Savage WMIII, Flair / Savage WMVIII, Bret Hart / Owen Hart WMX). I've been doing my research. Sure, those might just be WM matches, but they are easy enough to find should you decide to look for them. If being passionate about this sport means I have to go onto some obscure website and shell out hundreds of dollars for tapes with wrestlers who performed before I was born, then fuck that. If I have to do that, then chances are, it's not that important for me to know that aspect of the history. I'll buy my cage match and Shawn Michaels DVD's from the video store instead. Chances are, that's all the history I need to know.
Also, watch the current product and tell me these guys don't bust there asses more than they ever did before. If you don't see at least 2 chair shots a week, then it's been an odd week. People put way more on the line these days then they ever did, because the fans demand it. Anyways, now I'm just reiterating what other people have said. Have a nice day, friend, enjoy your hiatus from wrestling while it lasts.

Stormtrooper
The Great One

Posts 3635
Registered 1-5-2002
Location under glass ceiling

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2003 at 06:18 PM Edit Post
"I just became a hardcore fan at Royal Rumble 2003"

and you called ME a newbie?, although got to commend your choice of matches to convert you. Mine was Steamboat vs Savage.

THE CHAMP

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003

posted on 11-9-2003 at 12:29 AM Edit Post
I never called you a newbie, Trooper. I just spoke down to you as one (regrettably so). No hard feelings, eh.

DHMBAM
Banned

Posts 9
Registered 11-7-2003

Mood:

posted on 11-9-2003 at 04:39 PM Edit Post
Prove Me Right, everytime

I am loving this! Everytime someone says I am wrong and then mentions "guys who care about the business" I laugh. Jerico, Benoit, and a whole bunch of others that the smarts love. Why do they love the business? Answer that question.
Do you think Jerico will be like Flair and the road agents of today? Will he sacrifice like Dean Malinko? Hell no! If someone went to those guys and said you would be better behind the scenes they would call Jeff Jarret right away. Loving the business and being good at what you do are two different things.
Let's look at the "Radicals." Chris and Eddie are two big names with great pushes. The other two, remember them, Perry and Dean. They all came in with the same goals, the same contracts (kinda) and the same promises, where are they now? Dean excepted that he was not WWE onscreen worthy, but would be a great coach to future superstars. That is love of the business. He is training superstars to take his role now that he is gone. Perry Saturn, makes a fuss backstage and is booted because he does not get a good character, or enough screen time.
Now who loves the sport the guy who is training the future or the guy now working in the smoke filled bingo hall? I will tell you is not the B14 guy. He is there because he has to be. The trainer, he gave up possible endorsements, merchandise sales, and the cheer of the crowd. When I blame today's stars for not having that drive, or lust for this sport that is what I am talking about. Not the talented guys, but the guys who use their talent for wrestling's future.

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by DHMBAM]

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by DHMBAM]

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003

posted on 11-9-2003 at 05:14 PM Edit Post
Ok, so how many of the guys back in your "golden age" had that kind of drive. Probably just as many as today. You also mention that Dean made a choice to train the future. Well, Benoit and Eddie made a choice to stay onscreen and wrestle. How's that make them any more or less passionate about the sport? Who the fuck are you to judge them? And finally, why are you here? You posted your opinion, we heard it, we debated it. Basically, it looks to me that you just want to create some drama a la Bud Elock / #tcb / whatever-other-alias. If you are tendering you're resignation from wrestling, or throwing in the towel as you so elegantly put it, why not do so and leave. Otherwise, admit you're hooked like the rest of us and quit your bitching.

*EDIT* Upon looking back on your last post, you really have no argument. Just a bunch of random statements that have nothing to do with anything. Why do they love the business? Ok, I'll answer that right after you answer "why don't they love the business?" Have fun.

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by nilesanderson]

doublee
The Immortal One

Posts 4014
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Raleigh, NC

posted on 11-9-2003 at 05:50 PM Edit Post
Oh my God, you really don't understand it do you? When Benoit hurt is neck a couple of years back it would have been easy for him to pack up and retire rather than have surgery that would extend his career a couple of years. If having major surgery like that and rehabbing for a year is not dedication to the business then I don't know what is.

Same goes for Eddie. It would have been easy for him to pack up and go drink himself to death when the WWE let him go a couple of years ago. The guy went through rehab and cleaned up his life just for the opportunity to come back to the WWE. If that is not dedication to the craft then I don't know what is.

Taking Jericho as an example of no dedication is laughable at best. Jericho is on record as saying he is happy with his status with the WWE. He has accomplished everything he has set out to do. Why does he stick around you may ask? Because he does it for the fans. He enjoys going out and entertaining people that is what he does. He doesn't care if he ever holds another title the rest of his career because he can say he was the first ever unified heavyweight champion. Guys like Jericho get that it is all about entertaining the fans not how many titles you hold.

To even suggest that HHH does not love the business is ludicrous in and of itself. I suggest you go back and watch the Tough Enough from season one when he was the guest superstar. Also, it would have been easy for him to pack it in after he blew out his quad.

Doublee's Sports Blog

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   doublee 's Yahoo
rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

posted on 11-9-2003 at 09:41 PM Edit Post
Okay, first of all.......what doublee said. Cause I got all puffed up, then saw his post and realized he'd already pretty much said what I was about to.
So, add a "you stupid fuckwit" to his post, and you'll have mine.

Secondly, I'm gonna also repeat what niles said: "Ok, I'll answer that right after you answer 'why don't they love the business?' Have fun."

Take it, bitch-boy. Answer that question. Go back and take another look at the list of wrestlers I left you, and tell me how they, or any of them, don't love this business. Show me their "lack of passion." I don't like all the wrestlers I named, personally, but I respect them, for they've all shown me, as a viewer, a love for what they do.
So go to it, DHMBAM. But post an actual argument this time, and not some "nyah nyah" nonsense about us proving you right. Make a fucking point, then successfully defend it. Show me some passion.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   rasslinjunkie 's Aim   rasslinjunkie 's Yahoo
doublee
The Immortal One

Posts 4014
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Raleigh, NC

posted on 11-9-2003 at 10:11 PM Edit Post
Also, I meant to mention before you left two guys off your list that really need to be mentioned here and that is the Dudleyz. Love them or hate them these guys energize a crowd and like Jericho they get what it is that the fans love about wrestling.

Doublee's Sports Blog

ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 11-9-2003 at 10:31 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by DHMBAM
So to wrestling I say good-bye.

Great. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

posted on 11-10-2003 at 12:02 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Also, I meant to mention before you left two guys off your list that really need to be mentioned here and that is the Dudleyz. Love them or hate them these guys energize a crowd and like Jericho they get what it is that the fans love about wrestling.

See? I knew I'd leave guys out. And let's not forget poor Spike, cause if he ain't got passion, who does?

markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 11-10-2003 at 04:24 AM Edit Post
Is he still here?

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

promoter2003
The Rowdy One

Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 11-10-2003 at 11:57 PM Edit Post
Boy, there were some things the original poster said that were right on, but others the man is way off-base. The OO boys pretty much show that making broad claims about fans who watch the current product as puppets is stupid. I enjoy the current product and yes I complain, but I do so because I care. Rasslinjunkie, hit my nerves with his thesis. He is 100% right. Go read it again.

I HAVE 80's wrestling history on tape(from pure fandom as a child) and I can honestly say that the current roster is the greatest roster the company has ever had. The only thing I think the 80's really had in spades over today were psychology in matches (Jake the Snake and Steamboat's feud an example *simple storytelling in matches, but effective) and more personality overall(guys like Piper and Savage).

Now I was going to make a post about Triple H that I know some will completely disagree with before and I think now is the perfect time. I think that Triple H being apart of the Mcmahon family might turn out to be the best thing. The man DOES have passion for the business and he KNOWS the business. Whether he comes up with his storylines or not I don't know, but rumours I hear if true(such as being against the Katie Vick angle or booking to win at Mania to make Goldberg's title victory mean more) make me believe the man does know a thing or two about selling this product. I have more trust in this guy guiding Stephanie Mcmahon when Vince is gone then Shane Mcmahon who seems hell bent on becoming wwe champion for some odd reason. Right now, it may seem bad since Triple H is a main eventer with his hands all over the product, but the long term he could really help. No one has seen things from this perspective.

Chris Benoit/Kurt Angle at the Royal Rumble I can also honestly say can rival any 80's match EASILY. If you watch this match with Steamboat/Savage, Flair/Steamboat, or Bret/Owen at WM X(these matches I claim as the best ever in terms of technical aspect) it will match it easily. Benoit imo puts on better matches from his side than Bret Hart did. I will say that the 80's tag team scene is a monster compared to what we got in this era. Just as in the 80's we have to sit through some of Vince's nonsense he passes off as entertainment to get the good matches. Sometimes the entertainment is gold and sometimes it isn't. One thing though. You'll be back if you're really gone(lol).

rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

posted on 11-11-2003 at 12:20 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoter2003
Boy, there were some things the original poster said that were right on, but others the man is way off-base. The OO boys pretty much show that making broad claims about fans who watch the current product as puppets is stupid. I enjoy the current product and yes I complain, but I do so because I care. Rasslinjunkie, hit my nerves with his thesis. He is 100% right. Go read it again.

You're quite right; one can never make broad claims about wrestling fans. Like if you were to assume we're all "OO boys." Hehheh. This OO boy is actually a girl. As the return of my Dancing Shawn av will surely attest. But thanks!
quote:
Now I was going to make a post about Triple H that I know some will completely disagree with before and I think now is the perfect time. I think that Triple H being apart of the Mcmahon family might turn out to be the best thing. The man DOES have passion for the business and he KNOWS the business. Whether he comes up with his storylines or not I don't know, but rumours I hear if true(such as being against the Katie Vick angle or booking to win at Mania to make Goldberg's title victory mean more) make me believe the man does know a thing or two about selling this product. I have more trust in this guy guiding Stephanie Mcmahon when Vince is gone then Shane Mcmahon who seems hell bent on becoming wwe champion for some odd reason. Right now, it may seem bad since Triple H is a main eventer with his hands all over the product, but the long term he could really help. No one has seen things from this perspective.

I absolutely, totally agree. Have no fear, this OO boy respects, admires, and occasionally worships HHH. I personally rest easy knowing the future is in he and Steph's hands (don't get me started on my insane enjoyment of Steph, lol). And now we may very well both be attacked by the rabid hordes of smarks. Eh, bring it.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top