The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Discussion Starters
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 3-5-2002 at 09:45 PM Edit Post
Discussion Starters

OK, so I haven't gotten to be the first to post in any of the forums... till now.

I do so because I think a Books forum is a great and noble idea, but I fear it'll probably tank. Prove me wrong, people, prove me wrong.

So, to wit:

(1) Anyone else read any Charles McCarry? In the last six months, I've exhausted my library's supply ("Lucky Bastard," "Shelley's Heart," and "Second Sight"), and am pissed that none of his stuff seems to be in print in paperback for immediate purchase on Amazon or anything. Great, complex politcal thriller type stuff, if you had to pigeon-hole it; highly recommended if you're looking for quality fiction.

(2) This one'll probably get more response: So I'm on this Stephen King kick lately. I got way into the "Dark Tower" thing back about 9 years ago when "The Wastelands" made the crossovers between the Dark Tower and other King books clear. For a while, I've been cool to King as I thought he was losing his edge. Then about a year ago, I read "Dreamcatcher" because a friend said it was as good as vintage King; it was definitely a lot better than I had expected. So I went back and re-read the Dark Tower books over the last year, and then more recently re-did "The Stand" just to get that cross-over flava... and then I started going back and reading some of the books I missed while I was off the King. To my surprise, I found "Insomnia" was (a) really good and (b) laden with MORE Dark Tower cross-overs. Is there other GOOD King that I've missed in the 90s that would feed my now-revived Dark Tower fixation?

(3) How about Carl Hiaasen? I find he's great in small doses. Got introduced when a friend of mine started raving about "Sick Puppy" at EXACTLY the same time that I got finished with the off-the-page FANTASTIC "Big Trouble" by Dave Barry. When I found out the Hiaasen who wrote "Sick Puppy" and the Hiaasen who Barry noted as an influence were the same guy, I immediately started seeking his stuff out at the library. Definitely funny and clever, but if you read his books back-to-back, I think you'd get a sense of repitition and running-together...

(4) Umberto Eco, anyone? I've heard good, I've heard bad... should I bother or not? Help me!

(5) If somebody else wants to start an All Vonnegut Thread, I'm there... I can't even begin to distill my thoughts there into one bullet point.

Excelsior.....

Rick
rick@onlineonslaught.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DennisIsEvil
Showstopper

Posts 631
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 3-6-2002 at 07:46 PM Edit Post
Do copies of Hustler count as books here?

brianfigliola
Banned

Posts 172
Registered 2-12-2002
Location Clinton County, Pennsylvania

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 3-6-2002 at 07:51 PM Edit Post
Books

what bout Penthouse and Playboy, they should count as books.
etee
Fella

Posts 316
Registered 1-5-2002
Location in front of my PC.

Mood: Radio-active.

posted on 3-7-2002 at 02:42 AM Edit Post
Only if you read the articles.

Seriously, I don't know where to begin. Other than a bit of HP Lovecraft (I luv Cthulhu), I haven't had time for much in the way of literature - I tend to read more along the lines of "high tech" computer books (O'Reilly being among my favorites), and photography (I am saving my pennie$$$ for the Ansel Adams series).

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 3-7-2002 at 05:55 PM Edit Post
I've always liked all things King, especially the Stand, which ruled the universe, but lately I've found Dean Koontz better than even King. If anyone here has never read Sole Survivor, you need to get off the internet RIGHT NOW and go out and buy that book... totally, totally awesome stuff, best book I've read in years
And if anyone is into the whole fantasy genre, Terry Goodkind is at the top of his game... I recommend Wizard's First Rule to anyone that hasn't read it but likes fantasy

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 3-7-2002 at 06:04 PM Edit Post
Can't stand Koontz. Too many kids and dogs in his writing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Bill 3
ButtViper

Posts 1
Registered 3-30-2002

posted on 3-30-2002 at 02:10 AM Edit Post
King just released a new book of short
stories including one featuring Roland just
before the start of the Gunslinger. It's
about Roland's encounter with a covenant of
female vampires. It was medicore at best but
the important thing was in the note before
the story. To begin with he refers to the Dark
Tower series as his yet unfinished seven part
"magnum opus." He also said book five is
finished. It's 900 pages long and is titled
Wolves of the Calla.
Hearts in Atlantis,which became the basis for
an Anthony Hopkins movie, also was chock full
of Dark Tower references.

BigBlue86
Fella

Posts 448
Registered 1-11-2002

posted on 4-3-2002 at 12:54 PM Edit Post
Currently reading "Killing Pablo" about the hunt for Columbian drug overlord Pablo Escobar. Pretty damned good, so far.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 4-3-2002 at 08:29 PM Edit Post
Wouldn't mind giving that a read. I remember reading about Escobar's demise in the papers and thinking about what a badass "bulllets and gunsmoke" ending he had.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
BigBlue86
Fella

Posts 448
Registered 1-11-2002

posted on 4-5-2002 at 05:32 PM Edit Post
Go to KillingPablo.com You can get the book and a documentary video of the story as well.

shithousepoet
Banned

Posts 216
Registered 5-28-2003

Mood: Being Good

posted on 5-2-2002 at 03:47 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianfigliola
what bout Penthouse and Playboy, they should count as books.
Hell Yeah, make them part of the books fourms, i like those magazines, and as for hustler, put it in the fourms.

Is Goning to be a good Boy Now.

DennisIsEvil
Showstopper

Posts 631
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 5-2-2002 at 03:52 PM Edit Post
Oh Hell yeah! Magazines should count as books too.

New Topic New Poll

go to top