The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Bret declines WWF comeback
master yoda
And I am AWESOME

Posts 105
Registered 1-16-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 3-2-2002 at 01:57 PM Edit Post
Bret declines WWF comeback

Bret declines WWF comeback

By BRET HART -- For SLAM! Wrestling

(http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestling/hitman_home.html)

I got a call from the WWF this week.

I can't say I was shocked. I wasn't even surprised. In fact, it was predictable because Wrestlemania is in Toronto.

It'd probably be the biggest pop in the history of pro wrestling -- Bret Hart walks out unannounced -- after everything that's happened.

For Carl DeMarco, the guy who runs the Canadian arm of the WWF, it would have been a huge coup. Imagine, delivering Bret Hart to Vince McMahon.

Anyone who knows me knows that it would have been an unconscionable sacrifice. Still, as an old friend, Carlo thought he had a shot at it. It didn't matter to him what I did on the show as long as I was on the show.

Since my concussion prevents me from wrestling, he asked me to ref the main event, Triple H vs. Chris Jericho for the undisputed federation championship.

It was brought up how my recent appearance on a WWA PPV was unfitting for me and that my stock is at an all-time low. I guess I need to point out I'm retired from wrestling and my minimal involvement with the WWA has been because the promoter is a reputable guy who I've wanted to help get off to a good start. At the very least, he's been good to his word.

The persuasive argument was this is Wrestlemania, much more fitting. You tell me how fitting it is for me to end up as a special ref in a semi-main event?

I listened to the offer but found it offensive the WWF would expect me to so easily dismiss everything that's happened and parade myself out there giving the impression to the world that our differences have been worked out. Montreal. Owen. The manipulated divide-and-conquer derision of the Hart family, showing no respect to my father or even my poor mother, who died without seeing any resolution to it. Why would I minimize any of that?

Because, in return, they'd give me access to video footage and still shots. They own every picture and every inch of film of every match I had over the last 16 years of my career.

So now, as a 'trade off', they offered me the same access McMahon already promised me when I met with him on a park bench in Calgary the day before Owen's funeral, two-and-a-half years ago.

Four days later, when my people called his to work out the details, they were told Vince recalls no such conversation.

It will no doubt surprise a lot of people to know Vince and I were going to set up a meeting when Raw came to Calgary last May in order to sort out my footage and air our differences. Vince cancelled the meeting, sending a message he was too busy, which I appreciated because I was having reservations about our talk myself. The time didn't feel right to me. At least we'd almost opened the door for some dialogue, which I thought was a huge step. But that very same day, they went and did the Montreal finish right here in Calgary -- and somehow I'm not supposed to view that as a slap in the face?

So now, 10 months later, the WWF says getting my archive is a trade-off. If I do this, they'll do that. Why are there now conditions to Vince's promise?

To be honest, I did consider doing it.

Before Montreal, we were about to start production on a comprehensive video anthology of my career. After Montreal, it was scratched. I thought it was a shame, especially since the screw job at Survivor '97 became the clear line of demarcation in the business, the time when the heroes of the Next Generation were replaced by the bombastic sexual ratings ploys of the Attitude chapter. I thought it was important to document what WWF wrestling was like in the era when I was champion -- for future generations who might never know or understand the time-honoured traditions of what pro wrestling used to be.

Also, I am in the process of writing a book and I thought it might be nice to put a few specific WWF photos in it -- which, I've been told, Vince won't let me do. Is it because they don't think the company will be portrayed in a good light? I think what everyone needs to realize is that for 14 years, McMahon and I did have an amicable, prosperous relationship. I haven't forgotten that.

With one last-ditch effort, the guy who runs WWF Canada gave me other options. Instead of being a ref, I could come out and punch Vince -- not for real, of course, just make it look like retribution!

In that one phony punch, everything that's happened would be minimized into an angle. Maybe wrestling fans would love it. My fans would hate it. And so would I.

Thanks but no thanks.

The guy who had it right, this time, was Vince. He said I'd never go for it.

Vince, thanks for the invitation. Now here's mine. If you want to air our differences, all you have to do is pick up the phone. I think a private conversation is in order, not some public spectacle at the expense of my dignity.

To all the boys on the card, I wish you a good show and I hope you understand and respect my reasons for not being there.

master yoda
And I am AWESOME

Posts 105
Registered 1-16-2002

posted on 3-2-2002 at 02:06 PM Edit Post
Man, I'm going to Mania and if Bret were to come out I would blow my load right in front of 60 000 people without getting hard. It would have been a true mark out moment. But as much as I would love that I would totally lose respect for Bret if he did return. Although I really wouldn't blame him either. To get access to all his video footage must have been damn tempting. And it takes a man of strong character to turn that sort of offer down. Considering how much his career and legacey means to him.
etee
Fella

Posts 316
Registered 1-5-2002
Location in front of my PC.

Mood: Radio-active.

posted on 3-2-2002 at 03:41 PM Edit Post
While I still think that Bret Hart is a whining crybaby with an ego the size of Rikishi's ass, I can certainly understand and respect his decision NOT to attend Wrestlemania - or any WWF event, for that matter.

I would certainly hope that VKM would talk to him in private one of these days - just as VKM did what he felt he had to do, so did Bret - and both men should be mature enough to realize this.

Kneecaps
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 87
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 3-3-2002 at 05:36 AM Edit Post
God, that man is insane. He honestly thinks the WWF has sat there and TRIED to destroy his family? I'm sorry, but they did that on their own.

OH, and:

"Vince, thanks for the invitation. Now here's mine. If you want to air our differences, all you have to do is pick up the phone. I think a private conversation is in order, not some public spectacle at the expense of my dignity. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they DID pick up the phone and call him. BRET is the one that's writing a goddamn column about it.

This man needs to MOVE ON. So they lied to him and fired him. Fine, it sucks, but what does constant bitching accomplish? This happens to people every day and they move on and find another job in a matter of weeks. It's been FIVE YEARS and he still dwells on this. It's pathetic.

Milky
And I am AWESOME

Posts 239
Registered 1-24-2002
Location Victoria, BC, Canada

posted on 3-3-2002 at 02:35 PM Edit Post
Hey Kneecaps,

Have you ever had a brother DIE due to gross negligence on the part of a company whose owner once lied to you then screwed you (a loyal employee of many years) in front of your friends and family on a show watched by millions of your fans.

What? No. Well then who the hell are you to judge this man? What does your bitching accomplish? I hate my fucking boss as it is. All he does is get mad at me for taking too long a lunch break. Brett's a bigger man than I am. If I were in his shoes, I probably would have burned down Titan HQ by now.

Vince should use those grapefruits. He should swallow his pride, call Brett up and apologize for lying to him in Montreal. He shouldn't send Carl DeMarco to do it.

What's really pathetic is people that judge others having never spent a day dealing with their hardships. Grow up.

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 3-3-2002 at 07:09 PM Edit Post
I think what some of you fail to realize is that Vince has yet to have the balls to pick up the phone and call Bret HIMSELF, instead, he's letting his assisstants do it. Vince humiliated Bret in front of thousands of people in his own home and you want to call him a whining crybaby with an ego? Screw you. If what was done to Bret was done to you by somebody that you had worked with and trusted and established a friendship with for 14 years, you'd be bitter, too. Bret is one of the true legends of the sport and it was sad to see the whoring parody of himself that he was in WCW. The Bret-loving mark in me would love to see Bret come back at WrestleMania in ANY capacity and stay and do an angle, but the decent human side of me hopes that Bret hangs on to his self-respect, values, and dignity and says no, and that Vince will do the right thing and share rights to the footage with Bret. Just my two cents
NoneSoVile
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-18-2002
Location NYC

posted on 3-6-2002 at 04:25 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kneecaps
God, that man is insane. He honestly thinks the WWF has sat there and TRIED to destroy his family? I'm sorry, but they did that on their own.

OH, and:

"Vince, thanks for the invitation. Now here's mine. If you want to air our differences, all you have to do is pick up the phone. I think a private conversation is in order, not some public spectacle at the expense of my dignity. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they DID pick up the phone and call him. BRET is the one that's writing a goddamn column about it.

This man needs to MOVE ON. So they lied to him and fired him. Fine, it sucks, but what does constant bitching accomplish? This happens to people every day and they move on and find another job in a matter of weeks. It's been FIVE YEARS and he still dwells on this. It's pathetic.

Kneecaps could not have said it any more perfect. He should stop bitching. I started watching wrestling regulary after the WWF screwed him over; from all I have seen of Bret, the guy is a muscled-up drama queen.

People get fucked by their bosses everyday. The wrestling business just seems to be filled with drama and gets more attention.... especially when guys like him cause all the drama by writing columns like that.

A lot of people act like Vince directly caused Owens death. I don't think Vince was up in the rafters strapping on the gear and telling him to go. Once again in the everyday world, people die on the job everyday over stupid shit; just read Kurt Angles book and see how his father died.

Also explain how its Vinces fault that the Harts internal family is so fucked up. They been living the business for so long they probably think life is just one big GRAND angle. If I was Bret I would be nowhere near WrestleMania.... and I respect him for that. But here he is trying to make a real life topic into a angle.

quote:

Why the hell is this guy cutting a promo?! Hes fucking nutz! Him and the old ass Living Legend Larry should get together and find their inner peace in homosexuality. I don't think Vince gives a shit about their differences.... they just want him to show up, get a big pop and make them some $cash$. Then you would have your pictures and videos and he would NEVER have to deal with him again.... EVER AGAIN. The only thing to really say is... you want your pictures and videos crybaby... show up at WrestleMania BITCH. But Bret can't end his I cannot spell 'feud' w/ Vince that easily, because just like my girlfriend.... hes a drama queen!

Milky
And I am AWESOME

Posts 239
Registered 1-24-2002
Location Victoria, BC, Canada

posted on 3-6-2002 at 09:33 PM Edit Post
quote:
A lot of people act like Vince directly caused Owens death. I don't think Vince was up in the rafters strapping on the gear and telling him to go. Once again in the everyday world, people die on the job everyday over stupid shit; just read Kurt Angles book and see how his father died.

I'll repeat it for all you idiots that might not have understood it the first time.

No, Vince wasn't in the rafters pushing Owen to his death, but his company, the WWF, was negligent in the security associated with the harness Owen was in. That's why they settled the lawsuit; because they felt guilty for his death and they knew they would lose.

People do get hurt in freak accidents everyday. A lot of those accidents end up in lawsuits too. This is more like sueing Firestone tires for wrongfull death than being sruck by lightning.

You want to read a book. Read Foley's. In it he explains why he and half the roster nearly quit because they weren't sure they could trust Vince anymore after he screwed his most loyal employee.

quote:
Why the hell is this guy cutting a promo?!

WTF? A promo? Sounds like an invitation to a true adult discussion to me. Once again, as Chris said, Vince has yet to have the balls to pick up the phone and call Bret HIMSELF. Maybe your the one that thiks "life is just one big GRAND angle".

quote:
I started watching wrestling regulary after the WWF screwed him over; from all I have seen of Bret, the guy is a muscled-up drama queen.

At least you admit that you don't know what the fuck you were talking about. I'd be far more willing to take this retarded rambling from someone that actually knows what Brett gave to the WWF. It's nice that you think that your so much of a bigger person than Brett Hart. Something tells me though that if the same shit had happened to you, you might still be angry too. And please, spare us your dumbass homophobic ramblings. You're coming accross like a ignorant redneck, that is unless your trying to cover for something.

AngryJohnny
And I am AWESOME

Posts 193
Registered 3-4-2002
Location Hawaii

posted on 3-6-2002 at 10:00 PM Edit Post
He'll ba back. If Hogan came back, so will he. Thank god,

Jkyle.com-the evolution starts here

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AngryJohnny 's Aim

New Topic New Poll

go to top