The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Metallica Releases "St. Anger" 5 Days Early; Fears Radiohead
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4742
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 6-6-2003 at 09:09 PM Edit Post
Metallica Releases "St. Anger" 5 Days Early; Fears Radiohead

I was reading a music mag this afternoon and saw an article on Radiohead. Basically I get the feeling that a bunch of people working for the publication were having a collective orgasm in anticipation of the release of Radiohead's "Hail To The Thief".

They were also pegging June 10th as a huge day for releases with new records by Mary J. Blige, BB King, Rancid and R. L. Burnside set to hit store shelves. However, what was to make the day huge was the anticipated releases of new records by Metallica and Radiohead. The magazine was printed before the release date for "St. Anger" was pushed up by 5 days.

Upon having finished reading a giant article on the always brilliant Radiohead, and seeing that the it will no longer go head to head with Radiohead, I began to think that maybe Metallica released their album early out of fear of Radiohead. Perhaps they feared that wouldn't outsell Radiohead and make it to #1 on Billboard the first week that "St. Anger" was released. That would be a crushing blow to their egos.

And I don't think that the idea is ungrounded. The chance that another band could outsell them in their first week would not allow Metallica to show to the whole world why they're #1. It would also look band given that Metallica fans have waited years for a new record to come out, and one that was louder and more raw than previous efforts. By only making it to #2, they wouldn't be able to brag about how they're louder record propelled them to #1.

Holding off another week would've only served tp piss off a lot of people. They'd been waiting how long now for this? The anticipation was through the roof, and to be told that they'd have to wait another week would've certainly insighted a backlash. Therefore, all they could do was advance the release date, thus avoiding the potential of defeat for more sales in it's opening week to Radiohead.

Plus, when you look at what was released on June 3rd, their closest competition would've been Sugar Ray and Train, both a couple of wussy pop bands require several weeks of bombardment from radio to get people to buy into their dumb singles. It's certainly a great way to stroke your ego, and to give yourself bragging rights when you can say that your record went #1 the first week it was released and did it by only being on store shelves for 5 days. It looks a lot better than coming in second to Radiohead.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 6-6-2003 at 09:41 PM Edit Post
Wait a minute! Did you say there is a new Sugar Ray album!!!

Oh this is glorious news indeed!!!

I just wanna fly!

Who wants soup?

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 6-6-2003 at 11:02 PM Edit Post
Album was released because it got leaked not for fear of Radiohead outselling. In fact I'll go out on a limb. If Radiohead can outsell Metallica I'll eat shit. There is no chance for that to happen.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

MrJustinB
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1636
Registered 1-18-2003

Mood: Blue and Orange

posted on 6-6-2003 at 11:10 PM Edit Post
Actually, considering their major popularity worldwide (especially in Europe). and the fact that Metallica is a bunch of irrelevant, boring, hairmetal guys...

I'd say there's a good chance a shit sandwich is coming your way. Of course, I could be wrong.

"I want to make this shit cool again." - CM Punk

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 6-6-2003 at 11:12 PM Edit Post
I know for a fact that Hail to the Thief will make it in to my cd rack before the month is up and St Anger will be unlikely to make it into my rack before eternity is up.

Who wants soup?

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 6-6-2003 at 11:56 PM Edit Post
That soooooooo works for me.

Who wants soup?

MrJustinB
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1636
Registered 1-18-2003

Mood: Blue and Orange

posted on 6-7-2003 at 12:36 AM Edit Post
I definitely like the sound of that.

"I want to make this shit cool again." - CM Punk

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12841
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-7-2003 at 02:34 AM Edit Post
word. life.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2003 at 03:12 AM Edit Post
The album was released early because it had been leaked online, Slade. Other artists have done the same thing.

And I still can't understand why you go so far out of your way to rag on a band that you don't like. I'm also confused that you're praising Radiohead when you're the author of a thread entitled, "Screw Metallica and Radiohead."

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2003 at 03:18 AM Edit Post
Smartass.

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2003 at 06:33 AM Edit Post
I was curious as to why Slade was praising Radiohead as well. In one thread he called them "dumb wankers" and in this one he called them "always brilliant." Which is it already?

Aside from that, Hail to the Thief has been in my, and many other people's collections for MONTHS. I got my hands on it quite awhile ago online and you didn't see Radiohead pushing up their release date.

Curious.

Ando
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 12-24-2002
Location Kingscote, South Australia

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2003 at 08:18 AM Edit Post
Over in my little corner of the world anticipation is much higher for the Metal, than it is for the hippies. According to the sales charts of one of the biggest music store chains in the country, pre sales of St Anger rank at number 1, while Radiohead are back at 7. I know it's not exactly fair seeing neither has been released, but oh well....

http://soundsnz.com/

What the f##k is a hashtag?

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12841
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-7-2003 at 08:36 AM Edit Post
radiohead - hippies?

Damn, I always knew you guys were backwards in NZ, but damn....

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Ando
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 12-24-2002

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2003 at 09:38 AM Edit Post
Yeah, anything alternative is for hippies. At least it is in my mind anyway.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4742
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 6-7-2003 at 08:16 PM Edit Post
Alana, I'm not praising Radiohead. I've just stating an opinion. The way I see it, Radiohead has the potential to outsell Metallica, and that scares Metallica, because it would hurt their egos and disallow them to talk about how their record went to #1 the first week it was released. Radiohead will provide them with very strong competition.

Angstboy, I think Radiohead are dumb wankers. I forgot to put quotation marks around the phrase "always brilliant," which was meant to refer to what the music critics and snobs that write about music for a living tend to think Radiohead is.

No way, Ando. Dave Matthews, Phish and all poncho wearin', dreadlock havin', blunt smokin' jam bands, are for hippies. Sure, that conforms to the stereotypical view of what hippies love to listen to, but the stereotype didn't happen without reason.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 6-8-2003 at 01:02 AM Edit Post
I'm telling you Radiohead has NO CHANCE IN HELL to outsell Metallica. You may like them better but it doesn't mean people share your opinions. More people are anti-Metallica so you think that they won't sell. I don't hate Radiohead and won't bash them but I'm also not going to buy their CD. For every one Metallica hater there like 10 people who will buy the album. For every one album Radiohead sells there is 3 guys going Radiohead is still around? Aren't those the guys who sang that Creep song back in 1990 or something? Keep dreaming if you think Radiohead will outsell Metallica.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4742
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 6-8-2003 at 03:12 PM Edit Post
I don't like Radiohead and I don't like them more than Metallica. I am an equal-opportunity hater. I hate both bands equally. Don't you read anything that I write? Besides that, I think you're a bit out of touch with reality, or possibily you're letting your views become jaded by your never ending love for Metallica. I bet you'd have even gone on record to say that "St. Anger" could outsell Elvis' "#1's" if it were released the same week, or The Beatles "#1's", or the latest Eminem release. None of those things are possible.

Please, tell me where you get your facts. How were you able to come to the conclusion that Metallica fans are 10-1 to non-fans, and for every Radiohead fan there are three that think they've completely disappeared? Sure, this message board isn't an accurate representation of the population at large, but it certainly does appear as though the numbers of those who prefer Metallica to Radiohead and those who prefer Radiohead to Metallica are fairly equal. I think that it is probably a similar case in the general public, where Metallica may have a bit more support in the United States and Radiohead has more in Europe, which probably balance each other out, thus it would have made for a tight sales race to #1.

It's too bad we won't get to see who would've gone to #1, because Metallica jumped the gun by releasing their album early. Despite their claims that they released it early because it was leaked onto the internet, I'm sure they feared not making it to #1. Like Angstboy said, "Hail To The Thief" has been available online for months now, but they didn't advance the release date on their record. Why not? Because although a bunch of people have burned a rough copy of the record, they'll still go buy the album, itself. Does Metallica fear that their fans are not as loyal as Radiohead fans? Do they not trust that their fans would go buy the record even if it were leaked a week before it's release? Those are a few things to ponder.

In any event, I doubt that their record being leaked a week prior to their release would've kept people from going to buy a copy of the album. The reason they've given for releasing the record early seems like a bunch of malarky. If it's been leaked, it won't affect record sales. It just means that the people that planned on burning the record instead of buying it didn't have to wait as long to burn their copy, that's all. That they might have to wait until after the record was released to burn it wasn't going to make them change their minds about burning it and opt for buying the record instead.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 6-8-2003 at 05:14 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by metallikid
I'm telling you Radiohead has NO CHANCE IN HELL to outsell Metallica. You may like them better but it doesn't mean people share your opinions. More people are anti-Metallica so you think that they won't sell. I don't hate Radiohead and won't bash them but I'm also not going to buy their CD. For every one Metallica hater there like 10 people who will buy the album. For every one album Radiohead sells there is 3 guys going Radiohead is still around? Aren't those the guys who sang that Creep song back in 1990 or something? Keep dreaming if you think Radiohead will outsell Metallica.

This is an example of what we in the field of psychology call the False Uniqueness Effect. It occures because we form our opinions and understandings about the world based on the opinions and understandings of those with which we regularly associate and encounter. I would bet that metallikid knows a lot more Metallica fans than Radiohead fans and thus his assertion in the above quote has been unduely influenced by that fact. If one only ever encounters Metallica fans, one is going to believe there are only metallica fans out there.

This was not intended in any way to be a slam. It was just an observation.

Who wants soup?

Ando
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 12-24-2002

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2003 at 05:22 AM Edit Post
I dunno about Radiohead being more popular in Europe. Hard rock is pretty big over there.

I don't know why St Anger was released five days early, maybe to cash in on the hype of the release of the single. I don't think it's because it was released on the net, the fans would still buy the album, hell, I'm buying two copies of it, so I'm not sure what Lars is up to there. I also, however, don't think that the reason for the early release is because they fear Radiohead. In my opinion, their respective fans are at different ends of the spectrum. Who has more (fans)? I don't know, nor do I really care. I bet deep down Metallica are nice boys just trying to make their way in the universe.

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 6-9-2003 at 08:29 PM Edit Post
I never said Metallica would outsell Elvis or the Beatles, give me a little credit. It is Radiohead here. They are just not that popular period. I don't think they will even outsell Metallica in Europe. I may be wrong about Europe because I'm not there but I know what people like in this country and I know what the buzz is about. And if you want to pull pychology why don't you guys have your theory that because you and a few others on the board are anti-Metallica that a good portion of the world must be too. Come on, like I said Metallica is popular enough to get Metallica bashers, Radiohead doesn't even have the clout to get Radiohead haters.

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2003 at 08:37 PM Edit Post
"Radiohead doesn't even have the clout to get Radiohead haters."

That statement just doesn't make any sense to me. I know plenty of people who don't like Radiohead. Slade doesn't like Radiohead and has said as much MANY times on these boards. I can't believe I (a Radiohead fan) am arguing for the fact that there are a lot of people that DON'T like the band. The thing about both Metallica and Radiohead is that most people know it when they hear it, and they either like it, or they don't. They are two distinctive bands that have strong followings.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4742
Registered 11-10-2002

posted on 6-9-2003 at 10:26 PM Edit Post
That's some great reverse-psychology there, Metallikid.

When did I ever say that I good portion of the World is anti-Metallica? Never. I don't think that at all. Of everybody that knows who Metallica is, I would say that of the people who have formed an opinion of the band, that more are pro-Metallica than anti-Metallica. I believe that I am in the minority on this one. Although I am in the minority, it doesn't mean that I am wrong about them sucking. It means that the majority is wrong about them being good.

Next, as Angstboy pointed out, there are people that dislike Radiohead, some of which dislike them an awful lot. I happen to be one of those people. You may not hate them a whole lot, but you obviously don't care for Radiohead either. Everything that you've said about the band seems to indicate that much.

However, if you don't think that there are a lot of Radiohead fans out there, many of which are obsessive-compulsive types, do an E-Bay search on Radiohead. Radiohead items are sure sellers and there are a lot of collectors that will pay a pretty penny for some Radiohead bootlegs or swank or stickers or some other junk. Also, I do know that "Kid A" debuted at #1 on Billboard and "Amnesia" debuted at #2 on Billboard. "Kid A" was the first album by a British band to debut at #1 in the United States in years (How many I don't know). That's proof that they sell, that they have a large fanbase, and one that is very dedicated and will buy their records. It is also proof that they are popular. Period.

Ando
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 12-24-2002

Mood:

posted on 6-10-2003 at 06:35 AM Edit Post
Did the Spice Girls debut at #1? lol.

mallrat
And I am AWESOME

Posts 176
Registered 2-8-2002
Location Saskatchewan

Mood: Indifferent

posted on 6-14-2003 at 04:21 AM Edit Post
So far the number are pretty good for Metallica #1 418,000 copies sold between Thursday and Sunday, down by about 20,000 from Re-Load.

I am become Death,
The shatterer of Worlds.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll

go to top