metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 5-28-2003 at 02:06 AM Edit Post
St. Anger Is Here

Video debuts on MTV at 11:30 pm. I've seen in and it kicks all types of ass. Metallica does it again. I'm counting down the days until June 10th. Please get here faster.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7945
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 5-28-2003 at 03:45 AM Edit Post
OK, so all the fuss for that???

Like seriously, cool video, but the song itself sounds...generic...

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 5-28-2003 at 03:49 AM Edit Post
I'll respect any opinoin here and please feel free to express yours in the future. Just be warned you will see me "mark" out for this song, album, or anything else. I'm as giddy as a 12 year old girl when Jeff Hardy takes off his shirt. I thought the song rocked and I've heard pieces of many of them in a video on the fan club website and they all sound hard, and heavy. I'm not sure what generic is but if that was generic then give me more of it.

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 5-28-2003 at 07:24 AM Edit Post
I saw the video when MTV2 debuted it at noon... cool video, and the song is interesting. Being the dork that I am, I taped it and watched it a few more times.

My reaction to it was identical to when I first heard System of a Down's "Chop Suey!" I listened, and thought, "What the fuck is this?" The more I heard it, though, the more I liked it. The same goes for St. Anger.

Lars seems to have kicked his drumming up a notch (it almost reminded me of the drum track on "Blackened" ), but I HATE the trash-can sound that they recorded with. It sounds cheap, which is weird for a band that's had stellar production values since the Black Album. It surprises me that they'd intentionally record the drum tracks that way.

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 5-28-2003 at 07:28 AM Edit Post
I forgot to ask: are you seeing them live on this tour, metallikid? (this is probably a dumb question)

I'm flying out to San Francisco in August for a vacation with a few friends, and the second day of the trip, I'll be seeing them play in Candlestick Park. Woohoo!

The Broad's Blog

Ando
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 12-24-2002
Location Kingscote, South Australia

Mood:

posted on 5-28-2003 at 07:42 AM Edit Post
I was thinking the same thing, the System comparison that is. I thought "Oh no, everyone says they've gone soft, so they've tried to cram as much violent noise into the intro of the song to prove them all wrong". But the more I hear it the more I like it, just like most System songs. Although I'm not too sure if the "Push it" lyric fits in to the song, any Metallica song for that matter, sounded like James was bust out some thuganometry! Overall thumbs up though, went and pre ordered my album today, and it'll be in my hot little hands two days before any of you North Americans get it! Wooo! But then again, you guys have the chance to see them live

What the f##k is a hashtag?

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 5-28-2003 at 08:00 AM Edit Post
Sorry about that, Ando. I guess they won't be stopping anywhere near you on the world tour? And if you can't see 'em live, I'd recommend that you pick up the Cunning Stunts DVD (the extras with the guys backstage are hilarious... the "barbecued kitty fritters" bit had me rolling) or Live Shit, if you don't already own them.

You just gave me a mental image of James trying to rap. Sure, it may be sacreligious, but it's also pretty damn funny.

The Broad's Blog

Ando
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 12-24-2002

Mood:

posted on 5-28-2003 at 08:50 AM Edit Post
I think they're rumoured here for late January for the Big Day Out (big ass music festival).

I'm disappointed with my countrymen The Datsuns though. Turned the boys down when they were invited on the Sanitarium tour, or it may have just been the European part. Who knows. Dumbasses.

Ando
Showstopper

Posts 665
Registered 12-24-2002

Mood:

posted on 5-28-2003 at 10:01 AM Edit Post
One thing I forgot to add before. There's gonna be some fucken sore necks come Sunday morning if they play this at the clubs on Saturday night. Oh well, I guess I'm lucky Monday is a public holiday.

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 5-28-2003 at 01:24 PM Edit Post
July 13 in the Florida Citrus Bowl Baby!!! I'm already there. Anyway, I too am a dork Alana. It is taped and I have already watched it numerous times PLUS I downloaded it from Kazaa and watch it there when I am on the computer. Damn the album is going to rule. I never really got the System vibe but that might be because I can't compare Metallica to anybody because that wouldn't be fair to everyone else so I've trained myself against that. I kinda like the trash can quality sound though. I have a few bootlegs that I got a hold of and my favorites are always the ones that are so old or rare that they sound like shit. I love it.

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 5-28-2003 at 08:25 PM Edit Post
You and Ando might get a kick out of this. It's Kerrang's review of St. Anger.

CHURCH OF NOISE
Metal's High Priests Rediscover their fury.

You could hardly have failed to enjoy the irony. The internet rumour mill went into overdrive as word got out that Metallica had made - steel yourself, folks! - a metal album. As welcome as this genuinely
shocking news was, a sizeable minority of the band's huge fan base must have felt a pang of bitterness.

After 15 years of overproduced, verblown and increasingly middle-aged albums that either sneered contemptuously at a pioneering past or drifted gently sideways, immune to any modern influence, a lot of people will be approaching 'St Anger' with a real sense of trepidation. If this is a real metal album, it had better be a fucking good one.

Let's not piss about, Metallica could release any old bollocks and watch it fly off the shelves. Having acquired an entirely new audience in the years after the emergence of that polished and
unthreatening eponymous album, there is no longer any need to placate the underground metal purists than once revered this band's name. As a result, 'St Anger' could be interpreted as a genuinely daring career move; because it is the one thing that Metallica's current fan-base will not be prepared for. This is one seriously brutal and intense album that rejects utterly the staid ramblings of
the 90's and replaces them with a vibrant combination of the band's snotty, hell-for-leather origins and something altogether more adventurous and invigorating.

As 'St Anger' begins, with the aptly-named 'Frantic', those convinced that Metallica have forgotten how to be a metal band will be pinching themselves. Blasting off with a thunderous, percussive intro, the song is a raging, six-minute raised middle-digit that expands and
contracts around a convoluted whirlwind of angular, dissonant riffs and ferocious rhythmic breakdowns. It is, quite simply,
magnificent. And, gloriously, this is no false dawn. Ambitious, intricate and, in sonic terms at least, easily the heaviest material of the band's career. 'St Anger' is evidence of an entirely new musical manifesto. The album's sound is one ripped wholesale for the sweaty, tinnitus-inducing confines of the rehearsal room.

Guitars are distorted to the point of collapse, drums reverberate with every stick-strike and the bass rumbles and grinds with a tone so dirty you could use it as fertiliser. Riding across it all is that unmistakable Hetfield baritone; from delicate harmonies to demented bellowing, here the frontman sounds more fired up than he has in years. In fact, the whole band are patently having the time of their lives. Jason Newsted, on the other hand, may not be quite so amused.

Inevitably, 'St Anger' is not entirely flawless. At 75 minutes, this is an incredibly long album and a few tracks would have benefited from a spot of judicious editing.

There are also several points where Lars Ulrich sounds close to tumbling off his stool as he strains to keep up with the furious pace of those challenging songs. The Dane escapes with his dignity intact, but it will be interesting to see how he acquits himself onstage this time around.

Finally, and bizarrely, there is not a single guitar solo to be found anywhere on 'St Anger'. Those raised on nu-metal will not flinch, but for everyone else this will seem like a criminal misuse of Kirk Hammett's phenomenal skills as a lead guitarist. Either way none of these songs suffer unduly as a result. This is not a Metallica we have ever encountered before. As heady and uncompromising as it is, 'St Anger' has little in common with the band's first four albums. Even some lyrical references to those early records ('Fuck it all and no regrets, I hit the lights on these dark sets' roars Hetfield on the title-track) seem more like wry asides than genuine attempts to revive a bygone era. Even the fact that, for the first time in 15 years, Metallica actually thrash on several of these songs cannot disguise that this is a band renewed, not merely revived; a band rediscovering what made them special in the first place and, rather than making some obsequious, conciliatory gesture towards
their original fan-base, rebuilding their sound from scratch. No ballads, no orchestras and no fucking country music. Somewhere up in the ether, Cliff Burton is taking a hit from the celestial bong and
grinning from ear to ear. Welcome home, boys.

Metallica - St Anger 4/5

Article written by Dom Lawson
Kerrang 31 May 2003

The Broad's Blog

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12914
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-28-2003 at 10:22 PM Edit Post
Sounds promising, Alana. Lars said on MTV Icon something like Metallica being closer now to what Jason wanted it to be, and it may have require Jason leaving to do so. Do you remember that?

Me and my best friend were actually throwing around the idea of going to the SF Sanitarium show. The LA one only has crappy seats left and no General Admission tickets left. And it's more expensive. It gives me an excuse for a weekend roadtrip, at the very least.

If I see you there, you'd better mosh with me, young lady!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
mallrat
And I am AWESOME

Posts 176
Registered 2-8-2002
Location Saskatchewan

Mood: Indifferent

posted on 5-28-2003 at 10:37 PM Edit Post
I thought the song was pretty good, it needed a nice long guitar solo though.

I am become Death,
The shatterer of Worlds.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 5-28-2003 at 10:55 PM Edit Post
I haven't heard the album yet but from the sound of the video I wouldn't be surprised if they clipped the intro to make the video under six minutes. It may be nothing but it sounded weird when it changed from the intro to the first verse. Maybe there is more to the intro on the album.

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 5-29-2003 at 12:10 AM Edit Post
Well, we'll see. Metallica is a corporate entity, much like the Rolling Stones. Don't think they did this to satisfy hardcore fans. They went back to basics because market research showed them that was what the kids were digging.

In the end, this will be a generic record (when I hear the whole thing, I'll give it a real assesment) with very little to deliniate it from whatever Mettalica inspired nu metal band is out there.

They aren't innovators any more, they are followers. After D/L St. Anger (the Video), all I can say is "how is this any different than Nickelback?" Sellouts.

I understand that many have an attachment to the band. After the crap they pulled on Napster, I have no idea how anyone could continue to support them. The rest of the album better be fantastic, because this first cut is hardly reflective of the edge I know they posess.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 5-29-2003 at 05:51 PM Edit Post
How can we be fans after Napster?? Fuck Napster. I don't give two flying shits about them. People stopped buying CDs when they began downlaoding. That is the thr truth. Metallica was the only band that had the balls to come out and say it. Sure there are some bands that don't mind Napster but they are easily a minority.

I still don't think St. Anger sounded generic. And if it is similar to another band I don't really care because Metallica does it better then Nickelback or anybody else out there. I liked the track because I had never heard Metallica so anything like that before. From the samples of the other songs I heard they were all hard and heavy and I'm pretty sure if you didn't like St. Anger then the rest of the album might not be for you. We will have to wait and see. 12 more days!! I'll be there!

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 5-29-2003 at 07:15 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by metallikid
How can we be fans after Napster?? Fuck Napster. I don't give two flying shits about them. People stopped buying CDs when they began downlaoding. That is the thr truth. Metallica was the only band that had the balls to come out and say it. Sure there are some bands that don't mind Napster but they are easily a minority.

I still don't think St. Anger sounded generic. And if it is similar to another band I don't really care because Metallica does it better then Nickelback or anybody else out there. I liked the track because I had never heard Metallica so anything like that before. From the samples of the other songs I heard they were all hard and heavy and I'm pretty sure if you didn't like St. Anger then the rest of the album might not be for you. We will have to wait and see. 12 more days!! I'll be there!

Well, this could get nasty. Metallica told their hardcore fans to bootleg tapes "back in the day" to increase their exposure. It's why they jumped from east coast to west coast in a seemingly short time.

It's corporate rock, dude. All Lars needed was a pair of laceless Adidas hightops and the image would be complete. I was waiting for a rap bridge in that song.

There weren't many bands against Napster, just the corporations. I suggest you look at the overall CD trends since Napster peaked and since it died. Record sales during Napster and crappy sales since they were forced out.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 5-29-2003 at 09:06 PM Edit Post
Back when you are trying to get heard you need bootlegs and the bands who were in favor of Napster were the ones trying to "make it". I'm not buying that record sales during Napster line either because even when Napster was at its height most people didn't have fast enough lines to download music. The reason sales are down now is probably because of KaZaA and other Napster knockoffs so sales haven't been effected because of Napsters demise.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4780
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 5-29-2003 at 09:28 PM Edit Post
Indeed, bootlegs were needed to get exposure. It was the quintessential 'word of mouth' format for gaining exposure in the music industry. Napster changed that. The reason Metallica opposed Napster is because once it came along they'd made it and became big rich corporate cocksuckers. If bootlegging was still the method of choices for getting free music and Metallica did not need bootlegs of their stuff in circulation to be heard or to get people out to the shows, they would oppose it too.

I would agree with Krydor that this move was probably based on market research. Hell I've heard enough opinions around here about the band going soft or needing to tap into their past or what have you to understand why they recorded a much harder record.

Finally, Metallikid, once a band can sell out stadium and arena tours, they don't need album sales to make money. Merchandise and ticket sales will suffice. I can't see why they would oppose Napster or any other downloading system if all they're concerned about it getting their money. They wouldn't lose much from a decrease in record sales. The record company and distributor are the ones that profit off of record sales. Many bands have said that they make their money from touring. The only thing that forcing a Napster or a KaZaA to kill their service does is hurt indepents, underground, new and struggling artists and bands that can use the exposure to bring more people out to their shows when they tour. It could make all the difference in the world, enabling a band to actually make a little bit of money from a tour.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 5-29-2003 at 10:41 PM Edit Post
I am almost positive now that the intro is clipped for the video. I just read a review on Encycmet.com that said St. Anger clocks in at 7:24. The video is only 5:54 so I think the intro will be longer. Can;t wait to hear the whole thing.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12914
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-29-2003 at 10:52 PM Edit Post
Slade, you are correct about the money thing. Bootlegging a double-edged sword in underground hip-hop. Sure, you get exposure, but you get no money, especially when you're an MC or a group that plays mostly small clubs and don't have t-shirts to sell.

DJ Shadow is definitely one guy who has legit reasons to gripe about Napster and Kaaza. How do 50,000 people have an album he only pressed 5000 copies of that he still hasn't sold out of yet? And who benefits? Not Shadow.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big time downloader. I compensate by going to live shows and buying new releases from artists I download from. I hated Lars for coming out and saying what he said (I no longer do). I'm sure a lot of his gripe was given to him by his record company.

Oh yeah, the new song. It's good. Not as well produced as Until It Sleeps. Not powerful and awesome like One. Not as crunching as Sandman. I hated the bucket-drum sound of And Justice For All, too, which sucks because it has some of my favorite songs on it. Kerry King from Slayer said the same thing about it. Although, what he said about Load and Reload was classic: "Sounds like they loaded a bunch shit into a cannon and fired it. Then reloaded that shit and shot it out again." I don't mind those two albums, but to read Kerry say that, cracked me up.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 5-29-2003 at 10:58 PM Edit Post
Hey guys? If you want to start a Napster debate, I'm asking you to make another thread for it, so we can just discuss the album here without any flame wars.

mallrat: there are no guitar solos on the entire album.

Krydor: I don't understand your comparison of Metallica to Nickelback. Nickelback is a band whose songs can be heard on Top 40 radio stations; Metallica is not. Judging by the first single, St. Anger appears to have ZERO appeal to "crossover" audiences. Do you think that people who listen to primarily pop, rap, or country would be interested in this album? I doubt it. This album doesn't seem like something that a "corporate" band interested in profits would make.

And one thing that I will never understand about the "Metallica went soft" and "Metallica made a country song" (Mama Said) arguments: why is it that when they attempt a different type of music, it's selling out, but when someone like... say, Neil Young (for example) does it, it's applauded? I don't get it.

The Broad's Blog

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002

posted on 5-29-2003 at 11:08 PM Edit Post
I agree with Alana on this one, they didn't sell out. And how can you get mad for making Mama Said. The guy wrote a song for his dead mother and the other 3 members of the band made James put it on the album because it is a powerful song. A man is pouring out his heart to a his mother, it was something he couldn't do when she was alive. I'm not a country music fan but I like that song and yes it sounds twangy and it is slower but I wouldn't say they sold out because you don't like one song.

St. Anger won't sound like Top 40 radio and it won't sound like System, Korn, or any other band. Parts of songs may be similar but parts of every song are similar to some other song. I love the evolution of Metallica's music and while my favorite albums tend to be the older ones I don't need them to recreate those albums. I want them to come up with new sounds and great music and they have not let me down yet nor do I think they ever will. Keep rocking on James, Lars, Kirk, and Rob.

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 5-29-2003 at 11:13 PM Edit Post
You know, I always thought it was kind of funny that my favorite Metallica album is, in fact, Load (I have all of Metallica's albums, and I think I got that one fourth, after TBA, Justice, and Master).

The Broad's Blog

salmonjunkie

Posts 12914
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-29-2003 at 11:19 PM Edit Post
That is kinda funny. I don't know anyone who says "Load" is their favorite. It's still a good album nonetheless.

My favorite would have to be Master. But my favorite song is between One and Fade To Black.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top