The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Using Somebody Elses Finisher
maestrom4
Banned

Posts 112
Registered 2-7-2002
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 2-9-2002 at 08:50 PM Edit Post
Using Somebody Elses Finisher

Hey guys,

Just wondering what everone thinks about when wrestlers use other wrestlers "patented" finisher. Like when Jericho gives the Rock Bottom, or Angle gives a stunner.

I don't care for it as much as it happens but once in a great while is ok.

I got a friend that absolutely can't stand it though.

What do you think?

craigjones
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 12
Registered 2-8-2002
Location Downers Grove, IL

posted on 2-9-2002 at 10:36 PM Edit Post
The only thing I don't like about it is that when another guy uses it they can never get a pinfall. Like at Wrestlemania X7 when Austin & Rock used each other's finisher's...it just seems to me that a Rock Bottom should be a Rock Bottom and a Stunner should be a Stunner...if you are able to use that move then it should finish them off!
Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

Mood: tired

posted on 2-10-2002 at 03:10 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigjones
The only thing I don't like about it is that when another guy uses it they can never get a pinfall. Like at Wrestlemania X7 when Austin & Rock used each other's finisher's...it just seems to me that a Rock Bottom should be a Rock Bottom and a Stunner should be a Stunner...if you are able to use that move then it should finish them off!

I remember back when I was taking Jiujitsu, we were practicing a hold. I did it, got it right, then my partner did it and couldn't get it to lock down. So be called Brian, the Green belt over and asked him to demonstrate. He was performing it correctly, but it just wasn't effecting me. So we call Sensei Dail over and he does it on me, but it's still not working. So we call Shi Han Butch Veliz over and he does it on me and THEN it worked.

Basicly, the analogy I'm trying to make here is When you have been practicing the move for years, you know just the things to do to make it hurt, to make it effective, and when you are just trying the move on for size, you might not have the nuances down yet. Stone Cold knows how to get that shoulder under the chin JUST RIGHT so as to truely knock someone out. the Rock knows how to angle a person JUST RIGHT so as to put them down for the count using the Rock Bottom. and when they try the other opponents finishers on for size, it's effective, but they don't know how to do it JUST RIGHT so as to make it a finishing blow.

Just my thought, anyway....

Dan

P.S. before any smartasses decide to comment, yes I know wrestling is scripted

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
Kneecaps
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 87
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 2-10-2002 at 06:48 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shastar
quote:
Originally posted by craigjones

I remember back when I was taking Jiujitsu, we were practicing a hold. I did it, got it right, then my partner did it and couldn't get it to lock down. So be called Brian, the Green belt over and asked him to demonstrate. He was performing it correctly, but it just wasn't effecting me. So we call Sensei Dail over and he does it on me, but it's still not working. So we call Shi Han Butch Veliz over and he does it on me and THEN it worked.

Basicly, the analogy I'm trying to make here is When you have been practicing the move for years, you know just the things to do to make it hurt, to make it effective, and when you are just trying the move on for size, you might not have the nuances down yet. Stone Cold knows how to get that shoulder under the chin JUST RIGHT so as to truely knock someone out. the Rock knows how to angle a person JUST RIGHT so as to put them down for the count using the Rock Bottom. and when they try the other opponents finishers on for size, it's effective, but they don't know how to do it JUST RIGHT so as to make it a finishing blow.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Back in the 80s and early 90s, whenever a guy tried another finisher on someone and didn't get the pinfall, the announcers would explain it like that. They don't do that anymore for some reason.

I actually like when someone uses another guy's finisher and DOESN'T get a pinfall. It makes the move seem more unique to the original guy.

JLRuckus
Showstopper

Posts 512
Registered 2-1-2002
Location Atlanta, GA

Mood: Loopy

posted on 2-16-2002 at 11:54 PM Edit Post
While I'm pretty new to be a hardcore fan, even I can remember when no one ever used somebody else's finisher. The Rock was the first one I remember doing it a lot. I think he's done just about everybody's finsher at some point against them. Now, everybody does it. I like it better when it's not an everyday thing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   JLRuckus 's Aim
CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-5-2002
Location Pittsburgh,PA Home of the Steelers

posted on 2-17-2002 at 12:45 AM Edit Post
the phrase patented isn't %100 the truth obviously. It should just be called signature move, very few moves have ever been literally patented in prowrestling. your point obviosuly is that you dont like seeing Every one using the Walls of Jericho on Jericho, on the Peoples Elbow on Rock. Pretty much the only theory to that I can think of is that they want to grab attention. It does look pretty shitty when Jericho does need to try the Rock Bottom because his Lion Tamer/ Walls of Jericho isn't cutting it with the fans anymore.
Remember Shane McMahon made his wrestling career off of using other peoples finishing moves.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Yahoo
deuce
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 61
Registered 2-18-2002

posted on 2-18-2002 at 11:13 AM Edit Post
One of the more interesting suggestions I've heard regarding "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig is the idea that he should finish off his opponents using their own signature move, suggesting he's so far advanced over his opponent, he can use their own move against them.

...And wouldn't that be a hoot to watch Hennig try a Swanton Bomb. I'm sure he could do it... once.

DennisIsEvil
Showstopper

Posts 631
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-18-2002 at 05:22 PM Edit Post
What really blows is when somebody's gotta use their finishing move 4 or 5 times in one match. It just looks like man, that guy's shit is weak. Just like using somebody elses move does.
etee
Fella

Posts 316
Registered 1-5-2002
Location in front of my PC.

Mood: Radio-active.

posted on 2-19-2002 at 12:15 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by maestrom4
Just wondering what everone thinks about when wrestlers use other wrestlers "patented" finisher. Like when Jericho gives the Rock Bottom, or Angle gives a stunner.

Well if it is just one wrestler using another's signature move, then it would probably suck. However, when Jericho gives the Rock Bottom to The Rock, then it actually makes sense (turning one person's strength against him). And, that is how they have been doing it recently.

deuce
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 61
Registered 2-18-2002

posted on 2-19-2002 at 01:36 PM Edit Post
Another annoying aspect of people using other people's finishers is that it homogenizes the signature move and takes away the overall impact. I remember when the DDT was solely the signature of Jake the Snake Roberts, and now it's a pretty standardized move that no longer generates the strong heat it once did.
Andy
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 89
Registered 1-26-2002
Location Flavor Country

Mood:

posted on 2-19-2002 at 07:06 PM Edit Post
I basically agree with what you guys had to say about using other wrestlers' finishers, but I think there's a greater evil. It is the usage of finishing moves during interview segments and in-ring promos. This really bothers me when I see it. Signature moves are meant to end hard fought matches, not to instantly defeat people in one hit. I really don't think wrestlers should be able to use finishers just 'out of the blue', because if they could do that, then why isn't every match ended as soon as someone gets a chance to do that move?

Apparently there is some code of honor that says that no one can do their super effective killer move until a certain point in the match, but outside of the ring it's allowed. That's the only explanation I can come up with. Stupid..

New Topic New Poll

go to top