The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Does a version of Smokey Is The Bandit exist?
Norm
Banned

Posts 179
Registered 5-8-2003

Mood: Retartedd

posted on 5-26-2003 at 11:33 PM Edit Post
Does a version of Smokey Is The Bandit exist?

In 1982, Jackie Gleason was to do his last big endevor as a character actor as he would play both the Smokey (as he had done in Smokey I and II) and the Bandit. Most major audiences that weren't used to Gleason and his stuff from the old days were confused by the movie and it was reshot with Jerry Reed playing the Snowman, pretending to be the Bandit.

I've been looking to see if a film version of Gleason as the Bandit still exists anywhere. It'll be fun to watch.

As a child, I was raped by a koala. Twice. Once on Earth Day and once on Christmas. But I got my Christmas wish.

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 5-27-2003 at 12:47 AM Edit Post
I don't think it's possible, but that could make one of the worst movies ever comitted to celluloid the worst movie ever.

Perhaps they'll make a DVD with all that crappy goodness intact. Quick, someone get Criterion on the line for a SE of Smokey and the Bandit III, Directors cut.

All kidding aside, I'm betting they burned the negative of that stinker.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
Norm
Banned

Posts 179
Registered 5-8-2003

posted on 5-27-2003 at 06:44 AM Edit Post
Just because his day was near over, doesn't mean that die-hard Gleason fans wouldn't want to see it now. Even with the "new version" the film does suck, so maybe not.

As a child, I was raped by a koala. Twice. Once on Earth Day and once on Christmas. But I got my Christmas wish.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 5-27-2003 at 05:05 PM Edit Post
Smokey III had to be one of the worst movies ever made... I wouldn't hold your breath for an exclusive DVD. In fact, I'd be more concerned if they actually DID release one.

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

posted on 5-27-2003 at 07:16 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norm
Just because his day was near over, doesn't mean that die-hard Gleason fans wouldn't want to see it now. Even with the "new version" the film does suck, so maybe not.

His day was nowhere near over. SBIII was out around 1982, and Gleason's last movie was some deal with Tom Hanks later that decade, he also did The Toy with Richard Pryor just prior to this fetid pile of crap. He was going strong up until his death.

While it is true that Gleason was a fellow that could save almost anything, it's unlikely more Gleason could have saved this one. I don't think that there can be any doubt that however they splice any version together, it will suck.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 5-27-2003 at 11:44 PM Edit Post
I watched Smokey and the Bandit the other day and I never realized that the film has some of the worst sound editing I have ever heard. Just god awful. It sounds like it was dubbed in English.

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

posted on 5-28-2003 at 01:07 AM Edit Post
The orginal Smokey and the Bandit got an Oscar nomination for video editing, however.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 5-28-2003 at 05:39 PM Edit Post
That must ahve been their whole budget then...

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 6-2-2003 at 08:32 PM Edit Post
I asked a couple of people i know that are really into the smokey movies, and they don't think a version was ever released. the movie was changed to jerry reed playing the bandit because test audiences shat all over it. but they only reshot his scenes, they didn't re-film the movie or anything.

Norm
Banned

Posts 179
Registered 5-8-2003

posted on 6-2-2003 at 10:47 PM Edit Post
I thought it might be on bootleg.

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

posted on 6-3-2003 at 08:04 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Denethor
I asked a couple of people i know that are really into the smokey movies, and they don't think a version was ever released. the movie was changed to jerry reed playing the bandit because test audiences shat all over it. but they only reshot his scenes, they didn't re-film the movie or anything.

You know what scares me about that comment? Do you? That the re-cut film actually scored higher on test screenings than the version with only Gleason.

I can just see the studio execs commenting on how no one tried to stab them after they saw the Jerry Reed version. A real breakthrough, no feces flinging, the audience just fell asleep.

Some flims should never be released. Ghengis Kahn starring John Wayne is another one that comes to mind.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 6-3-2003 at 08:16 PM Edit Post
smokey 3 was, for the studio, akin to getting the last penny out of a piggy bank. you turn it over, you shake it wildly, but you can still hear one penny rattling around in there. gotta have that penny.

good point, krydor. at least they never did a 4th one (and no, i wouldn't put it past them).

New Topic New Poll

go to top