The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Flair vs Triple H
nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 5-20-2003 at 03:14 AM Edit Post
Flair vs Triple H

I may be alone, I may not be, but I was thoroughly entertained by that match tonight. I know Flair would lose, but for a while during the match, they had me believing he would win. I'm glad Flair is going against Triple H for once. And hopefully, he'll continue down this road to an eventual feud (as some speculated would happen previously).
promoter2003
The Rowdy One

Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 5-20-2003 at 03:33 AM Edit Post
Yeah, in some parts of the match I thought Flair MIGHT have gone over being in Carolina. Good job on both men's part. The crowd was eating it up making it all the better. Just unleash Flair wwe. Keep him wrestling to a minimus, but let his character come out. The fans may rally behind him as they do for Hogan being this is the twilight of their careers.
Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2003 at 03:40 AM Edit Post
Flair/HHH was terrific, although I (and everyone who was in chat) got pissed that Flair didn't win. Ah well.

It's funny... I have no problem with Flair getting title shots for nostalgia's sake, but I can't stand it when Hogan gets the same type of opportunities.

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

Norm
Banned

Posts 179
Registered 5-8-2003

Mood: Retartedd

posted on 5-20-2003 at 06:53 AM Edit Post
I would been happy if Flair had won, but then had to wrestle Kevin Nash and job very quickly to him. So it would have been Nash vs. Triple H at Bad Blood in the HITC match. I mean that would have been cool. What we saw tonight was only half cool. I have no problem with the show being focused on Nash and Trips, but I wish they had used Flair more. I get into more detail on the Flair/Triple H match in the Other Wrestling Sites column if anybody is interested.
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12841
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA
Member Is Online

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-20-2003 at 09:04 AM Edit Post
I marked out when Flair was going to do the Pedigree on HHH. And let out a "dammit!" when HHH back dropped him out of it.

Very good match.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Norm
Banned

Posts 179
Registered 5-8-2003

posted on 5-20-2003 at 09:08 AM Edit Post
Almost a great match, thanks to Flair and nobody else, but Flair. If it wasn't for some of the entertaining stuff in the midcard and Stone Cold as a GM, I would quit watching Raw.
rasslinjunkie
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1245
Registered 4-29-2003
Location louisiana

Mood: Deservedly Smug

posted on 5-20-2003 at 09:16 AM Edit Post
That was certainly a mark-out moment. Forgot all my sense and just knew Flair was about to get the belt. Loved seeing a taste of the old Flair. I for one would really like to see one more vicious run for the title from him.

Stop posting. Kill yourself.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   rasslinjunkie 's Aim   rasslinjunkie 's Yahoo
AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

Mood: Cold

posted on 5-20-2003 at 10:32 AM Edit Post
I don't know what it is about Flair in a title match that makes even the most dedicated smark put aside everything they know is going to happen and think "well, maybe..." but I like it.

Have you noticed that in every group of people there is a guy who just knows shit? He has no explanation for how he knows it or any reason to know it, he just knows shit. Be careful around that guy, he is thinking of ways to kill you.

For some odd reason I am on Twitter. You can follow me @BPF32781

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AriestheRam 's Aim   AriestheRam 's Yahoo
TheImmortalMarkHogan
Fella

Posts 434
Registered 5-4-2002
Location P-burg, WV

Mood: Spastic

posted on 5-20-2003 at 02:30 PM Edit Post
I really enjoyed the match last night. I watched it from a "mark's point of view" and kept thinking maybe Ric will get the belt one last time.
As much as I hate H3, I do have to say that he sold like a mofo for Flair and made me totally believe that Flair could win.
2 thumbs up to Flair/HHH.
BTW, do you think the emotion (crying/lip trembling) was legit or staged?
TIMH

Top 5 Things BTR Does With Billy's Thong

5. Puts in on....realizes he has it on backwards...and sadly realize everything is still covered.
- BFG

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TheImmortalMarkHogan 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   TheImmortalMarkHogan 's Yahoo
Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

Mood: tired

posted on 5-20-2003 at 02:36 PM Edit Post
that was a very good match and like Alana said, everyone in the OO Chat was really into it and we all let out a collective "Screw you, HHH!" when he finally hit the pedigree. I was going to log and post the whole match coversation here, but it expired from the cache too fast.

Still, if they say that you are only as good as your last match, then I think Naitch could retire with his head held high. I know it's not going to happen right now, but he could^_^

Dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

Mood: tired

posted on 5-20-2003 at 03:01 PM Edit Post
quote:
It's funny... I have no problem with Flair getting title shots for nostalgia's sake, but I can't stand it when Hogan gets the same type of opportunities.

Probably because that Flair has always given his fans 100% of himself every time, and Hogan simply went through the motions. While Flair was busting ass and giving us ***** matches of the century, Hogan was simply going through the motions, becoming more and more of an irrelevancy as time went on.

Flair actually made us feel like we were a part of something special during his career, while Hogan was cheered mainly because Vince McMahon (and later, Ted Turner) told us to.

Of course, that's just me...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 5-20-2003 at 03:14 PM Edit Post
Just to clairfy, I was in the chat room and I believe I was rooting for Triple H. I almost cried when Flair had the ref knocked out and then his a low blow. I really thought Flair was going over. When Trips kicked out a let out a big cheer. Great job by both on that fantasic false finish. By the way, I called Trips going over clean without Nash's interference. Great job, great match, great ending. Hopefully it sets up a great Hell in a Cell Match for Badd Blood.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

eoghann
Showstopper

Posts 534
Registered 2-27-2003

Mood: Angry

posted on 5-20-2003 at 04:24 PM Edit Post
Bump.

What, you actually read this stuff?

ModSquad003
Queen Bitch

Posts 442
Registered 5-8-2003
Location Lurking

Mood: Bantabulous

posted on 5-20-2003 at 04:52 PM Edit Post
clean

You fuck up the boards.
I fuck up your day.

outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 5-20-2003 at 05:57 PM Edit Post
Did anyone else think that if Flair pinned HHH, Dusty Rhodes might come out to reverse the decision? Now that would have been old school!

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

Mood: in utter disbel

posted on 5-20-2003 at 05:59 PM Edit Post
I too was impressed with that match. I didn't believe for a moment that Flair would win though.

I may be alone in this, but I think Flair should not be wrestling at all. He had a good match on RAW, but he is a shadow of his former self and I feel he could do his best work now behind a mic, helping out young guys like Batista and Orton.

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 5-20-2003 at 06:03 PM Edit Post
I believe Flair shouldn't wrestle much, but a match here and there is ok. In his hometown I can see a match and also at some PPVs. I think he may be trying to push for Wrestlemania XX as a good stop. Think about it, how many may possibly end their careers at Wrestlemania XX: Hogan, HBK, Undertaker, Flair, Austin. The day after that event may feel a bit different.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Laner
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1835
Registered 1-8-2002
Location Uptown

Mood:

posted on 5-20-2003 at 06:09 PM Edit Post
Yeah, he's definitely lost a half-dozen steps or so, but I still marked out hard when he hit the flair-flip/run to the opposite turnbuckle/ flying axe handle. I don't think I've *ever* seen him actually complete that series successfully

Norm
Banned

Posts 179
Registered 5-8-2003

posted on 5-20-2003 at 09:31 PM Edit Post
Speaking of the axe-handle. I know Flair's old move was a high cross body from the top rope. Flair was never that great at it, and being over 50 in his shape, might not be a good idea. I don't think he has done the cross-body since 1994, anyways. He did the axe-handle to Jeff Jarrett on Nitro, the night he jobbed the title back to Jeff -- his last title regin.
Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 5-20-2003 at 10:21 PM Edit Post
Just finished the tape, and that was what wrestling should be. Wooooo!

I bought into all the near falls, all the moves and was jumping up and down. Flair gets one more reign, and will get it prior to WM.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
doublee
The Immortal One

Posts 4014
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Raleigh, NC

Mood: Mr. Jiggy-Fly

posted on 5-20-2003 at 11:07 PM Edit Post
This whole angle made the night for me. I loved all of the build up around it. It really showed they can do somethings right when they really want. I enjoyed the match. I was a little leery of them putting this in the main event. I was expecting Nash to come down a minute or so into it and have it end up in a free-for-all with Nash/HBK/Flair/HHH. I did not think for a second that Flair would win, but I enjoyed the show they put on. I agree with Krydor that is how wrestling should be.

I also agree that Flair probably should not be a full time wrestler, but I don't see any reason why he could not work a schedule similar to HBK's. Flair showed he can still go when he has to.

<-- If 'ya ain't down with that Bart's got two words for 'ya...

http://www.myspace.com/doubleenc
Doublee's Sports Blog

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   doublee 's Yahoo
Synthfiend
And I am AWESOME

Posts 238
Registered 12-10-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 5-20-2003 at 11:14 PM Edit Post
STILL the man baby! 70's 80's 90's today it doesn't matter. He may not get it done the way he used to but Ric Flair can still get the job done unlike a lot of wrestlers. *holds up the sign of the Horsemen*

I know about you. I went on the internet. Eric Bischoff is a Ninja in 4 states! - John Cena

Blacks and Jews began as the same people. The proof is right in front of you. "Kaballah" spelled backwards is "halla bak".

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 5-21-2003 at 10:14 PM Edit Post
Quick note: where are the mad props for HHH? It takes two dudes to tell a compelling story in the ring. Rick mentioned it, and I think think the praise has been lacking for one of the best matches of the year for the other guy involved.

I don't want to see any of that "Flair can get a good match out of a broomstick" type comment. At his age, he needs an above average wrestler to do what he does best.

The Hurricane match gave us a taste, HHH gave us more. I'm ready for a stylin' profilin' limosine ridin' sonofagun smorgasboard.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
Norm
Banned

Posts 179
Registered 5-8-2003

posted on 5-21-2003 at 11:31 PM Edit Post
Okay, no "broomstick formula" praise from Flair. I'll just say that Triple H had a "good Nikita Koloff" night with Flair. Watch the Great American Bash 1985 sometime to get what I mean there.

As a child, I was raped by a koala. Twice. Once on Earth Day and once on Christmas. But I got my Christmas wish.

AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

Mood: Cold

posted on 5-22-2003 at 05:02 AM Edit Post
I'll give credit to HHH, he made the match look good, and he sold the figure 4 like a f'n champ (pun slightly intended).

Have you noticed that in every group of people there is a guy who just knows shit? He has no explanation for how he knows it or any reason to know it, he just knows shit. Be careful around that guy, he is thinking of ways to kill you.

For some odd reason I am on Twitter. You can follow me @BPF32781

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AriestheRam 's Aim   AriestheRam 's Yahoo
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top