The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (January 8, 2020)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 1-9-2020 at 12:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (January 8, 2020)

AEW vs. NXT SNAPSHOT
AEW Weekly Viewership Wins: 6
NXT Weekly Viewership Wins: 2
Ties: 4
Uncontested Weeks: 2 (1 each for NXT and AEW)
Current Streak: 1 (for NXT, albeit back on 12/18)
Average Total Combined Weekly Audience (including replays/streaming): N/A (hopefully I will be able to find a reliable source for these figures in the near future)

LAST WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT
Live Viewership: N/A (NXT punted with a canned studio show)
Total Viewership (including replays and streaming): N/A (ditto)
Which Show Was Better in OOur Expert OOpinion: N/A
Micronalysis: N/A

THIS WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT

After 2 straight weeks of various degrees of punting (due to Xmas Day and New Years Day), the battle for Wednesday is back with a bang, as AEW is loaded up in an attempt to get back on top after a ratings defeat on 12/18.

With Dynamite emanating from Memphis, AEW is going for some Stunt Booking in the form of guest appearances and video packages featuring just about every single Memphis star that isn't Jerry Lawler. This even includes Lanny Poffo doing something on behalf of Randy Savage.

On top of that, 2 pretty big matches, 1 pretty big angle, and an additional title match: Rhodes Bros vs. Lucha Bros, Guevara/Page vs. Private Party, Moxley and Jericho discuss the former possibly joining the Inner Circle, and a women's title defense.

NXT will make things all weird by spending the night talking about the Rhodes Bros' dad, as the 2020 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic begins. The theme this year is NXT-Prime vs. NXT-UK in the first round... tonight's bigger attraction will feature NXT Champs the Undisputed Era against NXT-UK Champs Wolfgang & Coffey. Also, 2 members of Imperium (not WALTER) vs. the Forgotten Sons.

In addition, the likely main event is a #1 Contender Match for Roderick Strong's NA Title: Keith Lee vs. Dominick Dijakovic vs. Damien Priest vs. Cameron Grimes. Hard to bet against Lee after he nudged out Rhea Ripley as the breakout star who took best advantage of the Saudi Misadventure that led to NXT's November to Remember.

That is all. End communication.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 1-9-2020 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
On NXT: IT'S. A. BROADFESSSST!

On AEW: Holy hell was that a shit sequence, like Dark Order dude's punches missing by miles shit, from Omega/Hangman on that Not Street Profits guy. Yikes. Where the fuck is this eleventy-billion star matches NJPW Omega I've heard so much about? This is embarrassingly sloppy. Was Page actually drinking right before the match?

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America youíre going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 1-9-2020 at 01:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wish Omega had signed with WWE so he wasnít wasted this much.

Edit - this Omega shit is killing me. Itís clearly obvious that the guy is a top level athlete on par with some of the best but anyone calling this guy the best professional wrestler in the world is crazy. Just because you can have great matches in a federation that doesnít give a shit if you live past 50 doesnít mean youíre great. It mostly just means youíre stupid.

And if youíre a fan who needs a 15 star bloodletting barbwire inferno match with 11 false finishes to be entertained youíre not a smart fan, youíre the problem.

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by DKBroiler]

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-9-2020 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
^ that's my DooK of New Jersey!

ETA: ZEE GERMANS ARE HERE! ZEE GERMANS ARE HERE! WELL, AT LEAST ONE OF THEM IS, BUT BEING ITALIAN IS KINDA CLOSE!

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by janerd75]

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America youíre going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1456
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 1-9-2020 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's not Luther! Luther is Idris Elba.

Hey, my jacket.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 1-9-2020 at 01:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jesus H Christ the Nightmare Collective is garbage. If not for Lana taking the number one spot for dumbest shit weíve recently seen by a wide margin this nonsense would be right near the top of the list.

The first half hour of AEW has been awful

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 1-9-2020 at 01:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Broserwieghts is a fantastic tag name. I figured they were being thrown together to start a feud (probably are) but wow, I think Iíd buy that shirt.

Possibly while high. But still.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1700
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
Jesus H Christ the Nightmare Collective is garbage. If not for Lana taking the number one spot for dumbest shit weíve recently seen by a wide margin this nonsense would be right near the top of the list.

The first half hour of AEW has been awful

I don't have a problem with the Nightmare Collective in theory, but that match was overbooked on a late-stage WCW level. A five-minute interference sequence off a ref bump can look silly; a five-minute interference sequence off a goddamned distraction is absurd.

I didn't find the opening tag especially sloppy, but it suffered from the same problem as a lot of other AEW tag matches: The participants all have to get their shit in, which means each match has like five different super-moves, and they all end in kickouts.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well said.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
FUDGE! How am I supposed to watch Johnny Everything (feat. Prince) vs. a DDP vs. MJF (feat. Butcher/Bunny/Blade) promo at the same time?!

BY LITERALLY WATCHING BOTH! TWO PROMOS AT THE SAME TIIIIME!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Orange Cassidy is a god damned genius.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1700
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This six-man tag is showing a great contrast between all-gimmick characters that are awesome (Orange Cassidy) and all-gimmick characters that are awful (Marko Stunt).

Is anyone else sick of everyone using the goddamned Canadian Destroyer? Like, that's a transition move, but the world champion's finisher is a back elbow.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1456
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I do find it funny how at one point the only guy I knew who did it was Petey Williams, and I don't think I've ever actually regularly watched any company that's been actively employing him in all this time. Yet now, it seems like you'd expect a local jobber to do one right before losing.

And looking up now, I'm amused at Sammy Guevara's assorted messages during the commercial break.

Hey, my jacket.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dig into Orange Cassidy if' y'alls ain't done so yet. The DooK knows what's up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/e7qr7j/evolution_of_orange_cassidy/

If you ever enjoyed Santino and got....it... as far as he was concerned, then OC is your jam.

ETA: FML, Mox/Jericho promo vs. a Lee/Jerkovic/Skynyrd/Punisher match.

Ah ha! Listen to one and watch the other!!! Janny is the genious now, morans!

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by janerd75]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
G Jonah ... itís all of it. The destroyer should be seen like once a month tops. Suicide dives shouldnít be in every match. Not everything needs to be a chinlock fest but if every person is doing special moves then nothing is special.

Anyway before I start yelling at clouds like an old fart let me say that I think both Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy both have long term world championship upside. Iím fine with them doing the dinosaur thing for a while but neither of those two need a gimmick to this degree. Hopefully after it runs itís course they both get a legit run without all the dino nonsense.

Anyway ... hey look not Ambrose went evil!

Edit - swerve!

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by DKBroiler]

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4170
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 1-9-2020 at 02:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm thinking that whatever money AEW had for CM Punk should have been used to get a director of creative with experience. The producer of Lucha Underground, steal David Lagana from the NWA,shit Prichard got rehired by WWE around March from last year maybe lock him down before then.

They're new, everybody makes mistakes, but all their problems seem to stem from a lack of cohesiveness and having somebody to veto shit. The NWA has a better women's division and they're working with a lot less.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1456
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 1-9-2020 at 03:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, I was ALMOST fooled into thinking Moxley was joining Jericho, although I continued to wait for what felt like an inevitable betrayal. AND THERE IT WENT. Fair enough!

Hey, my jacket.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-9-2020 at 03:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lol, Illy Pee's a total MARK jabroni, y'alls! What a mook!

Also, in unrelated news, perchance would anyone know where I might join up with these Dark Order fellows?

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1456
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 1-9-2020 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I AM a mark! A MARK FOR JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staying at a hotel might work, since that worked out for those other guys.

Hey, my jacket.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 1-9-2020 at 03:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
I AM a mark! A MARK FOR JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staying at a hotel might work, since that worked out for those other guys.

Iím stuck in a kentucky hotel at the moment. So um yeah ...

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4170
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 1-9-2020 at 04:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, Alex Shelley finally makes it to WWE! As somebody who loved Paparazzi productions and the Machine Guns, it's great to see him get his big break.
Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3293
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 1-9-2020 at 05:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
Orange Cassidy is a god damned genius.

MICROSQUEEZED.

Er.... Y'all get what I'm tryin' to say. He's my favorite thing in wrestling these days.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-9-2020 at 06:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The only problem with the main event on NXT is that Keith Lee should be #1 contender for the NXT title and not the North American belt. That guy's gold.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 1-9-2020 at 06:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
The only problem with the main event on NXT is that Keith Lee should be #1 contender for the NXT title and not the North American belt. That guy's gold.

Look on the bright side ... if NXT is going to have any WrestleMania matches this year itís unlikely Keith Lee would be involved unless he was a champion and if the NXT main championship is going to be circling Cole, Ciampa, Gargano and Balor this should give Lee a solid chance at being there without upsetting the apple cart. I mean Lee is still probably their 5th biggest star and you could maybe even move him down to 9th depending upon your view of Riddle, Dream, Dunne or Roddy.

NXT has actually gotten quite top heavy. I love me some Keith Lee but thereís a lot of mouths to feed on that show near the top. After WM Iím betting that the UE, Riddle and Dream get moved to other shows and itíll clear a lot of room.

NXT can get someone back like Cesaro to fill the void and Lee can get his NXT title run over the summer. Heís got a lot of momentum but I donít think Lee has so much momentum that theyíd change their obvious long term plans of Cole and Ciampa unless it was to also include Gargano and Balor.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-9-2020 at 08:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think a moonshot for Lee might actually short circuit him at this point. Let him marranate in NXT for jes' a pinch longah. If anythaaaaang, I'd SHIT tuh see heeyum become the Duthteh to a UE vershion uh da Hossmunn that geths ta run roughshod an' rampant back, forth, AN' betwixth RAM an' Thmackdown, baybeh!

In other more sensible words, give Keith a bit more room to truly get over in NXT and the WWE Universe at large while UE works their dastardly magic across all brands and then have him enact retributive justice as the karmic due for their collective nefarious shenanigans.

Golly!, it's like yOOu guys don't even know how to NXT, Bro sometimes.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top