The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2020 Wrestling Predictions
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-26-2019 at 12:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
2020 Wrestling Predictions

With all of my Christmas festivities out of the way, I'm now sitting around with nothing to do and drinking beer, so I thought I'd get this year's annual prediction thread rolling.

My 2020 predictions:

-AEW will still be around a year from now, but their TV ratings will continue to hover around what they are now and they won't see any major increase in viewership. We'll also see a handful of WWE midcard talent show up, but no top names

-Despite his recent heel turn, Seth Rollins won't hold the WWE or Universal title in 2020

-The brand split will actually stick and we won't see any crossover between RAW and Smackdown, outside of stuff like Survivor Series, etc

-Shayna Baszler heads to RAW or Smackdown and becomes world champion (probably a safe bet, but you never know with WWE)

-Besides Shayna, we will see someone else from the women's division capture their very first RAW or Smackdown world title in 2020

-Aleister Black's stock in WWE will continue to rise and he'll become a major player in 2020

-Despite the days of NXT talent "moving up" to the main roster not really being a thing anymore, we will see Adam Cole join RAW or Smackdown (and hopefully with the UE in tow). Conversely, I think we'll see either Nakamura, Sami Zayn, or Cesaro head back to NXT ala Finn Balor at some point

-Angel Garza will move beyond the NXT cruiserweight division and be a breakout star

-The OC will disband at some point and AJ Styles will return to being a face

And now two things that I'll predict to NOT happen, which means they're definitely happening in 2020:

-The New Day won't break up and they'll be doing the same schtick as always 365 days from now

-Braun Strowman will not hold the WWE or Universal title

EDIT: To add that Baron Corbin will win the Universal title (or WWE title, if he ends up back on RAW at some point) in 2020

[Edited on 12-29-2019 by the goon]

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002
Location Bhubaneswar, India

Mood: Saving Money

posted on 12-26-2019 at 03:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Shayna will defeat Becky for the World Title
Rhea will defeat Charlotte for the World Title
Charlotte and Becky will defeat the Kabuki Warrior for the Tag Titles and then eventually break up
Becky will turn heel
Bye bye for Lana and Rusev.
Andrade and Charlotte will break up onscreen
Braun will job to The Fiend
Ciampa will win the Intercontinental or the US Title
The Fiend and Roman will feud and Roman will win the title at Summerslam

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 12-26-2019 at 01:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lacey Evans will become a mega baby face, playing up her military past. Sheíll win SD title, possibly at mania.
CM Punk will wrestle at least one match on wwe TV. Possibly against HHH.
AEW will lose their existing TV deal at the one year mark. Theyíll move to a smaller network, with Omega returning to NJPW in time for the Jan 4th 2021 show.
WWE will announce that mania 2021 will be a two day event, in London England.
NXT uk will basically become NXT of old, with slightly fewer uk guys and more US talents. Theyíll just fly over for the tapings, thatís all.
Moustache mountain will be NXT tag champs again.
Cody Hall will join AEW.
Aleister Black will take the title off Brock Lesnar.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 12-26-2019 at 03:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
-AEW flames out by the end of the year when Shad Khan realizes that the target audience isnít really resulting in the extras that make WWE successful, like merchandise sales and (with old WWE anyways) PPV buys. Theyíll stick around on TNT until TNT creates an original product to supplant it, which probably doesnít happen until 2021.

-Samoa Joe wins the whatever title Brock has after WWE wisens up and realized heís not doing the title any favors...HAH, just kidding, Brockís holding onto the title until Wrestlemania, and he will then beat whoever beat him to win it back two months later and hold onto the title the rest of the year.

-Cain Velasquez wins the Royal Rumble. Everyone hates it.

-Cain Velasquez injures his knee again in the middle of something important. Everyone hates it.

-Luke Harper shows up in AEW after his no-compete is up and wins their title. Then loses it, probably, I donít care enough about AEW right now to watch more than I already have (I watched the first episode on my DVR last week, didnít care enough to watch any of the others, and when I checked with my dad yesterday, he stopped watching three episodes in because it didnít have the same appeal to him as nWo-era Nitro did, so I deleted the rest).

-Velveteen Dream actually shows up in WWE-proper (probably Raw).

-Nothing else interesting actually happens this year. I dunno, I feel like 2020 is one that WWE just phones in outside of NXT and AEW tries way too hard to get people disenchanted with WWE to watch them while forgetting to make any interesting stories/characters.

-2021 will be better.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4170
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 12-26-2019 at 04:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
-By the end of 2020 with one year under their belt, AEW gets better at weekly booking but by then many people have written them off.

-The return of Sheamus is kind of a dud.

-Shanyna Bazler moves to RAW or SD.

-Kenny Omega gets out of his current funk and becomes one of AEW's top guys that he should have been from the start.

-Kevin Owens stay positioned as a top face but WWE doesn't let him be the guy.

-Adam Cole gets dethroned on WM weekend by Keith Lee or Velveteen Dream.

-Edge does return but the rumored match against Cena doesn't happen.

-WWE finally pulls a the trigger on a Styles vs Balor feud.

-Jinder Mahal returns from jobberville for a run in the midcard.

-Drew McIntyre goes another year without being the top monster he should be.

-Nikki Cross returns to being a crazed psycho heel.

[Edited on 12-26-2019 by First 9]

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 389
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Northern Ireland

Mood:

posted on 12-26-2019 at 05:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Il go with...

-Strowman asks for his release after Mania. It takes him this long to realise that there is a ceiling for him and his only value to WWE is as an oversized novelty act.

-Mysterio retires

-Rollins is injured before May.

-Zayn makes some commentary about WWE's continuing relationship with the Saudis and it draws major heat from the bigwigs. This, along with frustration about his use, leads him to quit.

-Ziggler is shelved for threatening to quit. Again. WWE are happy to LukeHarpur him until his contract expires.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10969
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 12-26-2019 at 09:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
* Lars Sullivan will return and receive another mega-push but it will be short lived - he will be fired by WWE when footage of him punching out some Antifa pussy-wimps at a Proud Boys rally is released on Twitter; he will then be immediately hired by FOX News to co-host a prime-time show with Tyrus and the resurrected smack-talkin' corpse of Ludvig Borga

* Nia Jax (ugh) will return and get a major push, and will then proceed to severely injure at least three other WWE women wrestlers before the end of the year

* Enzo Amore will be diagnosed with every STD a human is capable of contracting; this will of course boost his album sales among the wigger/Juggalo demographic he appeals to, resulting in him headlining this year's Kickspit Under Underground Festival

* every single person from NXT that gets called up to the main roster will wish they'd been allowed to stay in NXT

* there will be absolutely no progress at all in uniting the original NXT 4HW on the main roster because, apparently, the WWE brain-trust really believes their own line about how "none of the fans want to see factions or stables anymore"

* AEW will something something something whatever something throughout the course of the year; AEW fans will wildly embrace a hardcore match where someone loses an eye to a fluorescent light tube (creatively wrapped in razor wire) being smashed across their face, simply because "WWE sucks"

* someone wearing a WWE shirt will get stabbed to death at an AEW show, with footage of AEW fans yelling "WWE sucks" at them as they bleed out on the ground being seen on Twitter

* the rest of the world will get more horrid as the weeks and months go by, in a rather boring repeat of every other year that's come and gone, and will once again have the bizarre effect of making the wrestling biz seem sane in comparison

* I'll still be a fucked-up (yet hopefully entertaining) combination of and and

[Edited on 12-26-2019 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 12-26-2019 at 11:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot

* Nia Jax (ugh) will return and get a major push, and will then proceed to severely injure at least three other WWE women wrestlers before the end of the year

* Enzo Amore will be diagnosed with every STD a human is capable of contracting; this will of course boost his album sales among the wigger/Juggalo demographic he appeals to, resulting in him headlining this year's Kickspit Under Underground Festival

Nia Jax will return having lost zero weight.

The worst thing about Enzo is that his girlfriend is pretty hot and her instagram personality makes her seem like a decent person. Sheís a personal trainer at a gym in manhattan, who is moving to LA in the new year according to her instagram. I hope it means the end of their relationship because she seems like a decent person, and he appears to still be a cunt.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 12-26-2019 at 11:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Alexa Bliss will win a womenís title.

Aleister Black and Andrade will have a double turn with Black being managed by his wife, and Andrade getting pushed as a top face.

Undisputed Era will not break up, but Cole will be replaced as Vince tries Mr Bay Bay out as an HBK like face.

Bray will be the top face in WWE by SummerSlam at the latest.

The womenís tag titles will become part of NXT.

AEW will introduce a mid card belt, with storyline links to Dusty, and will first be won by MJF.

Jericho will hold the title for a year, before dropping it to Omega at Double Double or Nothing.

The Lucha Bros will ask for a release/increase their Mexico dates resulting in them being off tv for some time.

NJPW will be rumoured to be for sale, shortly before they are rumoured to be interested in NWA, IMPACT, & ROH. This will all be due to trouble making NJPW World more accessible to more people. No merger will take place, but NJPW will use talents from one or all at a super show in the US.

If Cain is not 100% by the Rumble, the match will be won by a returning John Cena.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-26-2019 at 11:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Shayna/Becky main events Mania and ends up as possibly one of the best matches, not just women's matches, in WM history.

Ronda returns the night after Mania and attacks Shayna during her celebration.

Cain costs Brock the belt at the Rumble and we get Cain/Brock as a non-title match at Mania because Owens/Rollins/Styles/Drew/Joe/Andrade will become the 2020 version of the Smackdown 6 with Heyman booking...hopefully.

I don't think Ciampa, Gargano, or UE come up at all and will continue to be the foundation of NXT as it continues to deliver on a week-in/week-out basis and is overall a better show than AEW though AEW will hit more storytelling "water cooler" moments. One of which will be Jericho losing the belt on an episode of Dynamite instead of a PPV to someone unexpected; Darby, Luchasaurus, Adam Page, MJF before they lose the belt to Omega or Moxley soon thereafter on a PPV. AEW will continue to forget they have the deepest tag division and will keep highlighting WWE midcarders or over the hill main eventers. This becomes even more glaring when they hire The Revival and don't do Revival/Bucks for at least 6 months.

The Dusty Classic will be won by a "unaffiliated" tag team that has been signed but has been kept hidden. Possibly Von Erichs, or Ethan Page/Josh Alexander, or someone I'm not thinking of. If the teams weren't being announced on January 1, I'd think someone from NJPW but for now I don't think that.

Mae Young Classic 3 will also happen and Tegan Nox will finally get her big win, 18 months after she was supposed to.

WWE will add at least 2 new hours of television to the network this year. One will almost definitely be a NXT version 2 (different name of course) as more of the devlopmental that NXT was. And the other will either be NXT: Asia, NXT: Lucha, or some sort of woman's show to allow them to highlight just how deep their female roster is at this point.

Smackdown will unfortunately be highlighted by months of The Fiend, Roman Reigns, and Baron Corbin. Bo Dallas will be the first member of The Fiend's Funhouse stable. Miz & Daniel Bryan get a tag title run. The WWE continues to not realize all 3 members of the New Day can be singles stars to varying degrees without breaking up the group and will force them to always be in the tag team picture. Bayley will hold the title until Summerslam when Sonya Deville wins the title.

Ring of Honor will go out of business.
Impact Wrestling will not.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2533
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 12-27-2019 at 11:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
-AEW will struggle to build an audience, and continue to have ratings in the 600-800,000 range. They wonít break 1,000,000 unless they manage to get someone big, and i mean absolutely huge.

-AEW will spend big money on someone who isnít worth the money and will not push ratings. Before this happens, rumors of actual big names being offered contracts will pop up all over the place.

-RAW and SD will continue to be bland, mediocre shows.

-NXT will regularly have over a million viewers by the end of the year. Vince will leave it alone.

-Kenny Omega will finally start pushing himself strongly.

-MJF will sign with WWE and be a star on NXT. Triple H will keep him there until Vince dies.

-G1 and BOLA will continue to be the best and most fun pro wrestling tourneys.

-The Rock will come back for a match at either WM, Summerslam, or Survivor Series

-CM Punk will not wrestle.

-old Chinese people will continue to look at the ground out of sheer boredom

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12823
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-27-2019 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Shayna Bazler will be a top heel on Raw and will feud with Becky Lynch with a title match at Wrestlemania.

OR Shayna Bazler will become Smackdown Women's Champion and they'll do another winner takes all match at WM between Shayna and Becky in 2021

The Kabuki Warriors will enjoy a lengthy championship run, including a victory at Wrestlemania in one of those multi-team matches with teams from Raw, SD, and NXT. They will finally be defeated at SummerSlam or Survivor Series by the team of Nia Jax and Tamina who they'll position as a face team, but will turn heel. They'll lose the titles to Fire and Desire.

The other two Horsewomen will stay in NXT, but will make a surprise debut at a PPV (or Raw/SD after PPV) to help Bazler do heel things to a face.

Naomi and The Usos will finally return to TV in time for SummerSlam. The Usos will win a Tag Team Championship again.

Cian Velasquez will return, but he won't be ready to wrestle at WM.

Nakamura and Cesaro will beat The New Day for the SD Tag Team Championship at Royal Rumble. Kofi Kingston will then win the Rumble.

Instead of challenging the SD champ, Bray Wyatt, Kofi will challenge Brock Lesnar in a rematch. Brock vs Kofi at Wrestlemania for the WWE Championship. Cain shows up the Raw after to feud with Brock.

Big E will hold a mid-level singles title at some point in 2020. Perhaps beating Nakamura or whoever is holding the IC Title at that point.

When Xavier Woods returns, there will be a story where Xavier tries to prove himself by challenging Big E for his championship. Xavier will win and the New Day will stay together. By this time, Kofi won't be champ anymore, and after Xavier loses the singles title, they'll go right back to being a tag team.

This Bray Wyatt feud with Daniel Bryan and The Miz will run through to Wrestlemania. Bray will win and stay champion until SummerSlam. He'll finally lose the title to either Roman Reigns or a rejuvenated Braun Strowman.

Samoa Joe will have a successful face run and win the WWE or Universal championship.

Cesaro will not hold a singles title in 2020. I hope I'm wrong about this.

Sheamus will hold a singles title in 2020. IC Title.

Mustafa Ali will have a very mediocre 2020 until Summer or Fall, when he beats Sheamus for the IC Title.

Andrade will be a solid player in the mid-card scene. Won't sniff the main event.

The US Title will get a complete redesign, complete with the awesome side plates that are on most of the other titles.

The Tag Team Championships will get a minor redesign, to finally add side plates to those titles.

Liv Morgan's new gimmick will suck at first, but she'll overcome it and become a breakout star in 2020. Ruby Riott will return, feud with Liv, and then job a lot after their feud is over. Lacey Evans will have a good 2020 as well.

Rhea Rhipley will hold on to the NXT Title through most of 2020. Eventually, she loses to Io Shirai or Bianca Belair.

We will see the return of Woken/Broken Matt. It won't be as good this time around.

CM Punk will wrestle in 2020. His opponent will be either Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, or Adam Cole.

John Morrisson will have a decent 2020. His first feud will be with Baron Corbin and Dolph Ziggler.

Ziggler will not hold the WWE or Universal Championship in 2020. Neither will Baron Corbin.

The NXT Cruiserweight championship will continue on, have great matches, and will stay positioned as a belt sort of equal to but kinda below the NXT North American Championship.

In 2020, NXT will announce a third brand in Asia. It will not be in Japan. It will be in China. There will be a tournament just like the UK tournament, and it will take place in 2021. It won't be limited to East Asian wrestlers, as they will include Indian and Middle Eastern wrestlers as well. There will be some known names from Japan that will get far in the tournament that won't win. It'll be a rocky start that will take longer to find success than NXT UK did.

AEW will continue to be on TNT, they'll have a decent 2020. Chris Jericho will stay champion for a while. He will finally be dethroned by Jon Moxley.

Moxley will not hold the title for very long, and will lose it to MJF.

Kenny Omega will have a good 2020 in AEW.

Enzo and Cass will show up on AEW and will be Tag Team Champions by the end of the year.

AEW's women's division will still be weak compared to WWE/NXT, but they'll pick someone up worth talking about.

NWA Power will have a second season on Youtube, and it will be fun. The show won't be picked up for TV, though. Stu Bennett will have a wrestling match in NWA in 2020. We'll eventually see him in AEW. Nick Aldis will stay champion for a while. I have no idea who eventually beats him for the NWA Championship. I'll say pit could be Eli Drake, Marty Scurll, or Mr. Ken Anderson. I can't see anyone else with it outside of James Storm, but he had his feud with Aldis just this month. Maybe he'll be champion later after whoever beats Aldis.

Impact will still be around.

- adding:

Luke Harper / Brodie Lee will hold a title at AEW in 2020.

Heavy Machinery will not hold a tag team championship in 2020, but will in 2021. The Street Profits will hold one of the tag titles in 2020.

Keith Lee will win be the one to dethrone Adam Cole to win the NXT Championship in 2020.

Dominik Dijakovik will be North American Champion in 2020.

Matt Riddle will also be North American Champion in 2020.

Velveteen Dream will move to Raw/Smackdown in a draft in 2020.

Daniel Bryan and The Miz will continue to have an an off-and-on storyline in 2020, and will culminate in a real feud that ends in a spectacular match at WM 2021.

[Edited on 12-30-2019 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 389
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Northern Ireland

Mood:

posted on 12-27-2019 at 10:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gobshite

Im going to double-down on this with Nia Jax returning heavier than ever before. This makes her ten times more clumsy.

bopol
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1003
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-27-2019 at 11:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jim Cornette will say something controversial and be angry about something.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10969
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 12-28-2019 at 12:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterphil
quote:
Originally posted by Gobshite

Im going to double-down on this with Nia Jax returning heavier than ever before. This makes her ten times more clumsy.

She's one of the very few big performers I've seen that come back from a long hiatus looking worse than when they left. Big Show, for example, always returns slimmer and in great shape then slowly becomes more of a slob as life on the road & lack of proper workout time gradually affects him. Ditto with Kane. Nia though? Both times she's been gone for more than a couple of months she looks and moves worse than before. It won't be a surprise if/when she returns again, even after a double knee surgery should have been enough warning to her to get it together. That's not fat-shaming either, that's just empirical reality based on her obvious appearance.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4170
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 12-28-2019 at 05:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Disagree about Big Show. His return in 2001 had a lot of backstage drama, as he was sent down to OVW to get slim and was taking too long. Then in 2004 he took a break just to come back looking the same.Slim after a comeback Big Show wasn't really a thing until 2008(more then a decade into his wrestling) when he was training for boxing and was gone for over a year.

Show has even talked about how much of a lazy shit he was back in the day. Not to excuse Nia's lack of care but she's hardly unique on that front.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10969
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 12-28-2019 at 07:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Show figured it out though, as time passed. All of his returns in the last ten to twelve years were marked by him being noticeably slimmer and more buff.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole
Member Is Online

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 12-28-2019 at 11:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My Jannerdictions:

- Punk will be back in WWE proper, but not at the Rumble. Maybe a one-off match against Haitch (ala Batista), Cena, or Rollins, but hopefully A-Lister Black.

- Cena will be back for a limited Brock schedule, breaking the record, and a heelish turn (not full blown Hollywood Hogan, but more prickish and not as accommodating to boos/Cena Sucks chants).

- Edge will not return in a wrasslin' capacity. One-off promo angle to put someone over, maybe.

- An unlikely wrassler, guy or gal, will hold a major (Universal, WWE, or either Lady Champeenchimp) title (ala Jinder) in either a thanks for your years of service maneuver (Truth) or an omg swerve (Andrade, Zelina, Black, or Miz)

- Sami and/or Braun will be gone from WWE to eventually end up in NJPW or AEW.

- Orange Cassidy will be AEW's first definitive breakout star to make it into the mainstream.

- Brodie "Luke Harper" Lee will make Vince regret misusing him wherever he ends up. If it's with AEW he will have spectacular feuds with Moxley furthering this notion doubly so.

- Renee "R-Paq" Young will be gone from WWE in any capacity, but won't necessarily make the jump to AEW.

- Tessa Blanchard will end up in either WWE or AEW. If she showed up in the LadyRumble I would shit.

- NWA Powerrr will get raided for talent by AEW/WWE and Thunder Rosa will either be a breakout star in AEW, a rising one in NXT, and wasted like Ruby Riott on RAM/SD.

- Undisputed Era's and Imperium's continuing success and popularity will help bring about a decent return of factions on RAM/SD, of which a Reigns/Usos feat. Naomi faction will become big players. Rock will do a one-off return/run-in to help put said faction over.

- A Hardy will show up on AEW.

- A major defection from AEW to WWE will happen. Possibly Omega, Page, or one of their better ladywrasslers. They'll go nowhere regardless, especially Omega as he burnt his AJ cred on AEW already. Unless, of course, he ends up on NXT where he'll be a star.

- A major showstopping injury will occur from either NXT or AEW due to their more aggressive styles and willingness to allow insaner spots. Only Nia will be a liability to RAM/SD upon her return.

- Ciampa will be forced to retire after reclaiming Goldy (ala Edge) due to his neck finally giving up for good.

- Vince will finally succumb to the ravages time and his intense workload and either be forced to step down as Chairman, they'll find him dead in his bed with his face twisted into a karmically just version of his impression of JR's palsy face, or he'll legit drop in the middle of the ring doing a promo, much to Ric Flair's boiling envy.

- Tha Grim Reapah finally gits dah one, two, thuh-ree ohn tha Natcha Boy, dahheh.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America youíre going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2019 at 03:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Something kind of relevant to this topic that I thought of: the WWE has only crowned two first-time world champions since May of 2017 (Jinder Mahal and then Kofi this year), which has to be an all-time low for the last 20 years. So I wonder if we see a first-time WWE/Universal champion in 2020, as nobody jumps out at me as an immediate contender at the moment.

I think the only ones in the ballpark would be Braun Strowman (just because it has to happen at some point, right?) and Aleister Black, if the WWE continues to push him as a badass, though I could maybe see Samoa Joe in there, if the WWE decides to give him a "thank you for all of your years in the business" consolation run. But even those three I kind of feel like would be long shots, outside of maybe Braun.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12823
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-29-2019 at 04:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Something kind of relevant to this topic that I thought of: the WWE has only crowned two first-time world champions since May of 2017 (Jinder Mahal and then Kofi this year), which has to be an all-time low for the last 20 years. So I wonder if we see a first-time WWE/Universal champion in 2020, as nobody jumps out at me as an immediate contender at the moment.

Thatís a little disingenuous. Go back just one more year to 2016 and you can add Bray Wyatt, AJ Styles, Dean Ambrose Kevin Owens, and Finn Balor.

But I do see your point, after this period and ending with Jinder, there was only one more new World Champion, with Kofi almost 2 years after the previous one.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
TexShark300
The Rowdy One

Posts 2578
Registered 12-7-2005
Location West Texas

Mood: I Will Do Better

posted on 12-29-2019 at 05:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Despite niether currently being in a title picture, Roman Reigns & Charlotte both win world titles at Big 4 PPVs. The crowd does not boo Roman this time.

My boy Mustafa Ali wins a singles title

People will continue to call for Andrade, Velveteen Dream Aleister Black, and even Cesaro (still) to get huge mega pushes and they will continue to be disappointed.

WWE continues to not care about tag teams. The Revival re-sign anyway

We get Baszler v Rousey at some point as a PPV Main Event. (Summerslam?)

AEW settles into the old Impact/TNA niche, with just enough fans to not get cancelled. (yet)
They build to Page/Omega as a PPV Main Event.

OOWF Historian

Life is about choices. You can choose to have a Good Attitude or you can choose to have a Bad Attitude.
- Msgt Hal D. Aaron
1953-2007

House watches TNA. He goes bowling. I Knew I liked that show for a reason.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   TexShark300 's Yahoo
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1700
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2019 at 01:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Thatís a little disingenuous. Go back just one more year to 2016 and you can add Bray Wyatt, AJ Styles, Dean Ambrose Kevin Owens, and Finn Balor.

But I do see your point, after this period and ending with Jinder, there was only one more new World Champion, with Kofi almost 2 years after the previous one.

And you could make a solid argument that this is a result of longer title reigns, as opposed to repeat champions. In that two-and-a-half year period, you have six Universal Title changes (seven if you count Roman Reigns vacating and Brock Lesnar winning the vacant title separately) and just five WWE Title changes. The weird part, for me, is that the first two Universal Champions were guys who'd never held a world title on the main roster, but everyone who's won it since has at least one previous title run (Goldberg, Lesnar, Reigns, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt).

Personally, I think there's a decent chance of Braun Strowman finally getting one of those two belts. He seems tailor-made to be the guy who takes down the Fiend, though of course Reigns is going to be top of mind for that role, too.

BC
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1808
Registered 3-30-2002
Location in the bush

Mood: Blessed be

posted on 12-29-2019 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lacey Evans will be the next John Cena. With the positives and negatives that come with that

Kabuki Warriors will drop the titles unexpectedly and we'll never see Kairi Sane again. Io Shirai may replace her because JAPAN~~~~!!!!

Bray will turn into Doink 2.0 where there will be more focus on entertaining the kids and selling toys than any in-ring success.

Daniel Bryan will be forced to retire again by Survivor Series.

Shayna Bazler will win the Royal Rumble.

CM Punk will be put in this HOF class or announced for the next.

Cain Valesquez will be the one that puts Rey Mysterio down for good.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2019 at 08:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Braun to me is the closest to being a first-time world champion in 2020, but I've predicted that to happen both in 2018 and 2019 and it didn't happen, so who knows.

I just find it interesting that after Jinder won the belt in 2017, the WWE has seemed to back off of crowning first-time world champions, with Kofi being the only one in two and a half years (and let's face it, he wasn't originally even planned to get the WWE title in the first place).

Also, one name I totally blanked on in my previous post that I could see winning the Universal title: Baron Corbin. In fact, given how much the WWE loves to keep the guy in a prominent position, I'm going add one more prediction for the new year and say that Baron Corbin wins the Universal title (or WWE title if he ends up on RAW after a draft or something).

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1700
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2019 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Also, one name I totally blanked on in my previous post that I could see winning the Universal title: Baron Corbin. In fact, given how much the WWE loves to keep the guy in a prominent position, I'm going add one more prediction for the new year and say that Baron Corbin wins the Universal title (or WWE title if he ends up on RAW after a draft or something).

I like Baron Corbin, but I only see three scenarios in which he wins a world title at any point in his WWE career:

1) As a "thank you for your years of service" type of thing way, way down the road
2) Out of desperation, after a rash of injuries and/or departures leaves a void at the top of the card for whatever brand he's on
3) For a two-minute reign, where he beats a wavering babyface champion and then falls victim to a Money in the Bank cash-in

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top