GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!
Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (December 11, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 12-12-2019 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (December 11, 2019)

AEW vs. NXT SNAPSHOT
AEW Weekly Viewership Wins: 6
NXT Weekly Viewership Wins: 1
Ties: 3
Current Streak: None (tie last week)
Average Total Combined Weekly Audience (including replays/streaming): N/A (hopefully I will be able to find a reliable source for these figures in the near future)

LAST WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT
Live Viewership: TIE, both shows with 850,000 viewers
Total Viewership (including replays and streaming): N/A (ditto)
Which Show Was Better in OOur Expert OOpinion: AEW
Micronalysis: After suffering its first ratings loss, AEW pulled out all the stops to win back viewers, while NXT held steady with an eye towards a December 18 "free-per-view."

THIS WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT

AEW will feature Le Champ Chris Jericho and his Inner Circle in its top 2 matches.

The Young Bucks will take on LAX in a Texas Street Fight in one, while Luchasaurus battles Sammy Guevara in another. The latter is guaranteed to feature shenanigans, as Jericho will be sitting in on commentary, and Luchasaurus' tag partner Jungle Boy will likely be at ringside. Jericho and Jungle Boy have a side beef of their own, with a non-title match inevitable at this point.

NXT counters with a 1-2 punch of its own, including one damn-near "free-per-view" caliber match a week before they do the actual FPV episode.

In order to determine the #1 Contender to Adam Cole's NXT Title on next week's show, tonight will feature a Triple Threat: Keith Lee vs. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Finn Balor. It's only Balor's 2nd match since returning to NXT, and it should be nothing short of outstanding. Additionally, the Cruiserweight Title will be on the line, as Lio Rush defends against Angel TwoPants in a rematch from last month (which was, itself, quite tremendous).

That is all. End communication.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: COVIDmania

posted on 12-12-2019 at 02:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Big ups to Lio for gettin' his shit together an' holdin' it down as the Cruiser Champeen for a stretch, but it's Eddie, Jr's time now. I hope they get some free-per-view or TLC time to showcase their wares 'cause those dudes were insane with the flippity-dippity.

ETA: Nice showing for Butcher/Blade vs. Cody and whoms'tever the fuck QT Marshall is. Bunny/Allie seems kinda tame n' lame though.

Also, I've been to a few wrasslin' events in my day and not too much phased me but in my old age I'm not sure I'd be comfortable sitting in and amongst the ruffians in an AEW crowd.

ETA2: I... may have misspoken as MJF just announced they were in Honkeyville, TX. That sounds really nice, TBH.

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by janerd75]

A wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youre afraid of. - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11107
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

Mood: Branch Covidian

posted on 12-12-2019 at 02:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, that's Buck Swole's daughter, right?

EDIT: just lost the NXT feed - did someone (finally) blow up Florida?

EDIT2: it's back, at least Janny's safe! Hey, Dakota Kai has pointed ears, which is adorable, like some kind of Kiwi elf person.

[Edited on 12/12/2019 by Paddlefoot]

Whoever said one person can't change the world never accounted for the guy who ate an undercooked bat.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1520
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 12-12-2019 at 02:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Much more enjoyable than WCW's Swoll, methinks. Sometimes..... I kind of regret not watching as much WCW during that specific period. Although I feel like I did, but at the same time like I didn't.

And during that Dark Order bit, I briefly thought they'd hired Tim & Eric as a tag team.

Hey, my jacket.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1725
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This Emi Sakura-Big Swole match has been underwhelming, and that's sad, because "Big Swole" is a fucking awesome 2019 wrestler name.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
And during that Dark Order bit, I briefly thought they'd hired Tim & Eric as a tag team.

I should have thought that bit was dumb as hell, but I enjoyed it. I like it as a modern-day update on the "wrestler in need of direction is tempted by dark stable" trope.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
So, that's Buck Swole's daughter, right?

EDIT: just lost the NXT feed - did someone (finally) blow up Florida?

EDIT2: it's back, at least Janny's safe! Hey, Dakota Kai has pointed ears, which is adorable, like some kind of Kiwi elf person.

1) Only in muh dreams.

2) *Dakoter

Also, I am a fan of Mia's The Cans and Dakoter's hey-ya or howeverthefuck they pronounce hair in Kiwi.

Also2, for a Canadienne, Kenny Omega is a frickin' weirdo. THERE, I SAID IT. And Hangman Page looks like a longhaired version of Wayne from Letterkenny.

A wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youre afraid of. - Jake The Snake

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11107
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Mia just murdered Dakota. Looked like she might have hit her head on the edge of that second table. Ouch! and golly!

EDIT - that thing they just did with Tully really sucked. Hello, Wrestlecrap, we have a new candidate! And why did they turn Brandi into some kind of disloyal bookyak?

Whoever said one person can't change the world never accounted for the guy who ate an undercooked bat.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7855
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
Big ups to Lio for gettin' his shit together an' holdin' it down as the Cruiser Champeen for a stretch, but it's Eddie, Jr's time now. I hope they get some free-per-view or TLC time to showcase their wares 'cause those dudes were insane with the flippity-dippity.

I'm rapidly becoming an Angel Garza mark. The guy's got charisma to spare, can go in the in the ring, and I like how he acts like a babyface during his entrace, but then kind of acts like a heelish dickhead during his matches.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is Singh Brother Number Whatever Because I Can't Tell Them Apart rockin' a Super 8 camera to the ring?!? Fuck YEAH! #Breezango4Life.

Also, I... don't understand what Brandi is doing starting a skinhead movement.

Lol, Tully couldn't shimmy outta them fake-ass ropes. Tully. Blanchard. Yes, that Tully Blanchard.

Thank goodness WWE an' we got the more entertainingly insane Hossmunn.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ill give AEW credit ... while they lack in womans wrestlers they really do have the market cornered on add nothing but be super hot arm candy valets these days.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11107
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Spanish God"? More like jailhouse prag, kid.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Even with boots and and trunks on Sammy Guevara somehow looks too pink and nekkid to me and I am uncomfortable looking at him.

Bianca Belair/Montez Ford > Bex/Seth. THERE, I SAID IT.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1520
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm vaguely disappointed in Dynamite's main event now. I almost wanted them to do the entire match at the entrance area.

Hey, my jacket.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11107
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AEW might have spot monkeys & garbage hardcore. But NXT has Finn Balor, aka God's gift to women (and the bi-curious too).

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Soory AEW Dynamites Neato-Boffo Whateverthefuck Match, but NXT's Lee/Balor/Ciampa 3-Way's got muh eyeballs right now.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Soory AEW Dynamites Neato-Boffo Whateverthefuck Match, but NXT's Lee/Balor/Ciampa 3-Way's got muh eyeballs right now.

Normally Id agree but I had fajitas tonight so Im main eventing my toilet. Yeah DVR!

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11107
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 12-12-2019 at 03:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Be sure to save it in a Big Gulp cup to take to the next Eagles home game. Look out, fans in the lower seats!

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 12-12-2019 at 04:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
quote:

Normally Id agree but I had fajitas tonight so Im main eventing my toilet. Yeah DVR!

ETA: How. The FUCK. Did. Ciampa. Get. Keith. Fucking. Lee. Up. On. His. Shoulders. And. Bad. Fucking. Neck. Like. That?!?

ETA2: If AJ and the OC join Balor in NXT to combat the UE I will SHIT.

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by janerd75]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 12-12-2019 at 04:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ortiz spitting on the Cowboys helmet was fantastic.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 12-12-2019 at 05:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
ETA2: If AJ and the OC join Balor in NXT to combat the UE I will SHIT.

Part of me still clings to this idea from the Survivor Series build-up....

But it's not happening. You know what might NOT be ENTIRELY out of the realm of possibility?

Maybe Seth and AoP join up with Balor next week. Not as shit-inducing or mark-worthy, but I'd love the potential.

Seth's little hissy fit is basically "I'm the RAW locker room leader, but nobody respects me, and they all suck, anyway." They also seem to have been REALLY harping on him being the first ever NXT champ, lately. AoP was last relevant in NXT, too. Probably should not sleep on the fact that USA Network is probably WAY more interesting in crossovers that build up NXT than FOX, if you catch my drift; RAW may mingle with NXT in ways that SD will not.

My one concern is Balor plus OC easily get the face treatment even if they are narrative heels, which suits NXT storytelling. Balor plus Seth/AoP do not, is my guess, and that makes things complicated. Is there value to babyfacing the Undisputed Era? I ain't against it, but I'm not sure I'm fast-tracking it, either, given Ciampa/Lee/soon-to-return-Gargano-etc....

Good golly, the opener was as great as the main event, too. NXT wins. Seems loaded up to crush next week, as well.

Will be interesting to see how both shows go about "punting, but not punting" two weeks in a row after that. Both XMas and New Years are on Wednesday this year. NXT seems set up to do a year-end Recap/Awards Show for one of them, given tonight's announcement of nominees, but I can't imagine that would stand a chance against a even a pre-taped AEW show. Momentum seems to be in NXT's favor, but I think we're looking at something of a reset starting on January 8.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7955
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 12-12-2019 at 05:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXTs opener was good. Im excited for Rhea vs Bazler. The main had an obvious outcome (Balor pinning Lee), but they got there in an entertaining way. And next week has a lot of possibilities. On the one hand, UE is killing it with all the gold...on the other hand, Balor could use the gold.

Simple solution would be UE turning on Cole.

Balor can feud with Ciampa, and Cole can work his way through UE to get to Balor.

AEW was...there. The Mox thing was a punt of a storyline. At least we know Mr Good and Mr Irvine have good chemistry. The Brandi stuff sucked. Codys match seemed rather pointless.

Oh and the Bucks should be able to hit a decent super kick for as often as they use the move.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12931
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-12-2019 at 06:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
My one concern is Balor plus OC easily get the face treatment even if they are narrative heels, which suits NXT storytelling.

Chants of "BULL-LET-CLUB" and "THIS IS AWESOME" would pretty much be guaranteed in the NXT Full Sail Asylum.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 12-12-2019 at 07:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Balor is an excellent professional wrestler. Not to take away anything from Ciampa or Lee who were both outstanding but god damn Finn can move in and out of some aerial moves like no other.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11107
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

posted on 12-12-2019 at 04:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would have gone with Keith Lee myself for the win as his star has been rising so damn fast in the last half-year. I can see him being in the championship match at the TakeOver for Wrestlemania weekend though. And it's not like having Balor do a program for the next month or two with Cole and UE has any major drawbacks to it.

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1046
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 12-12-2019 at 09:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, I admit I'm biased as I just don't like Balor as a wrestler. The 1980's Japanese style is too deep rooted in him and all the fucking about and stalling and lack of logic just grates me. Lee and Ciampa got the best match out of him since Joe at takeover and possibly AJ at TLC, but it sure showed compared to the high standard NXT usually puts on.

However - that's got nothing to do with the fact that I HATE that Balor is back in NXT. For some reason, possibly because he's a "IWC Darling", but nobody seems to be noticing that this is the start of NXT becoming "Vinced".

"Ooh, NXT is getting popular and going on TV, better get someone from RAW or SD in the main event"

Fuck him. Fuck them for putting him there. There are so so many more deserving people who should be in that spot.

NXT has been my favourite wrestling who for years now, but that image at the end of Balor standing over Lee may as well have been Vince up in my face giving me the finger.

Thank fuck for AEW.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top