OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4472
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 11-30-2019 at 12:02 AM Edit Post
Rumor Crap 2019, Scene 3 Take 2: The Bitter Dregs

So that last thread went south fast. There's only 32 days of crappening left to be done with 2019 rumors, but even I have my limits, and have decided to protect the sanctity and reputation of the fine "Rumor Crap" name with a do-over.

To start? I dunno, I guess you could talk about WWE trying to bang two big house show numbers this weekend: Saturday in Mexico City (return of Cain Velasquez) and Sunday in Atlanta GA ("Starrcade," which is being partially broadcast on WWE Network).

Or you can try to assign some cosmic significance to the fact that Lana just signed a new 5-year WWE contract, but Rusev is a free agent mid-2020.

But you may not harp on the Announcer Drama of last week, upon threat of the OO Standard "hunt, find, kill" verdict.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2631
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 11-30-2019 at 12:03 AM Edit Post
Rumor Crap 2019, Part III: Ok, Rumor

....ok

Let the rumors commence

-Apparently the Maryland Athletic Commission is looking into the Light’s Out match between Omega and Moxley from AEW Full Gear. Getting color in maryland is apparently not allowed.

[Edited on 11-29-2019 by CamstunPWG187]

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 845
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-30-2019 at 05:32 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
....ok

Let the rumors commence

-Apparently the Maryland Athletic Commission is looking into the Light’s Out match between Omega and Moxley from AEW Full Gear. Getting color in maryland is apparently not allowed.

[Edited on 11-29-2019 by CamstunPWG187]

What did they think was going to happen? And also, I know that the “lights out” non sanctioned thing doesn’t matter so why do it if they’re going to be on the hook anyway? To the non-“smarts” it doesn’t matter and to the “smarts” it just seems pointless and makes you look dumb.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2631
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-30-2019 at 11:24 AM Edit Post
Bit of a bonehead move on AEW’s part, if true.
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11080
Registered 1-19-2008
Location put in my place, again

Mood: dooooonnn't care!

posted on 11-30-2019 at 12:12 PM Edit Post
They probably figured the publicity of a blood match was worth the penalty or sanction. It's doubtful that AEW didn't know Maryland has these rules. And they make a double-publicity score when the local officials give them shit over the event.

This is where I'm having difficulty getting aboard the AEW train. Seems that there's an old-school core mentality in that company that want to return to bloodbaths and other things that have been left behind by WWE in order to score hardcore cred. Can only speak for myself but I'm in no rush to see the return of headshots or matches so damaging that the wrestlers end up on painkillers for the remainder of their lives. Or, even worse, see in five or ten years another epidemic of suicides due to unhealable concussions & chronic pain problems happen all over again. I can't support this and if AEW is going this way then I won't be supporting them.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

Y'know, families really do absolutely fucking suck. They're the true source of everything that fucks up someone's life. Would have been better off to have been born into a vat and raised by a government robot.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4780
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 11-30-2019 at 12:40 PM Edit Post
I wonder why an athletic commission has the power to sanction an entertainment company that performs scripted athletic competitions, or why it even cares what it does, for that matter.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 845
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-30-2019 at 08:02 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slade
I wonder why an athletic commission has the power to sanction an entertainment company that performs scripted athletic competitions, or why it even cares what it does, for that matter.

Someone probably didn’t get paid.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6444
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: Pumpkinheaded dipshit

posted on 11-30-2019 at 08:40 PM Edit Post
^ this. Which if it's the case kinda answers my next question but how does that concept apply to the Ravens and Redskins? There's plenty of color to go around at any given football game and the MAC doesn't seem to have a problem there.

“A wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that you’re afraid of.” - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11080
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 11-30-2019 at 09:01 PM Edit Post
They also don't care about a university coach running some kid to death in practice in Maryland either, but that's covered under the free-pass card by the "The Only Thing This Coach Knows How To Do Is Win Football Games" exemption rule. See? There's actually worse people out there than wrestling promoters.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

Y'know, families really do absolutely fucking suck. They're the true source of everything that fucks up someone's life. Would have been better off to have been born into a vat and raised by a government robot.

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 396
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Northern Ireland

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2019 at 01:21 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
^ this. Which if it's the case kinda answers my next question but how does that concept apply to the Ravens and Redskins? There's plenty of color to go around at any given football game and the MAC doesn't seem to have a problem there.

Probably because a case can be made that any blood drawn in legitamate sporting events is purely accidental, but in the scripted world of 'rasslin' its pre-planned 99% of the time and used mostly for dramatic purposes and doesnt affect the proposed outcome.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 845
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2019 at 04:33 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterphil
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75

Probably because a case can be made that any blood drawn in legitamate sporting events is purely accidental, but in the scripted world of 'rasslin' its pre-planned 99% of the time and used mostly for dramatic purposes and doesnt affect the proposed outcome.

What I was thinking.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4271
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2019 at 04:50 AM Edit Post
The Athletic comission only went after them because they basically got harassed by an old geezer who made FB posts about AEW violating their rules. Apparently the guy is obsessed with AEW and looks for any reason to thrash them.AEW will probably just have to pay a small fine and on the plus side can add some street cred to Moxley and Omega as guys who had a match so brutal that the state comission got involved.

Pad, while I agree that AEW is trying to cash in on the nostalgia for the bloody, edgy 90s, they're not just sending out guys to go kill themselves.Omega vs Moxley had a lot of smoke and mirrors to replicated the old ECW hardcore matches. They relied on people not seeing this shit in years to get away with using a board of sanded down barbed wire and sugar glass to freak people out when back in the day Sabu would jump ass first into real razor sharp barbed wire(and not even as the finish of the match!). Also, because their schedule is A LOT lighter than WWE's the wrestlers are going to feel they can push the envelope more because they have more down time. Remember that a lot of the guys who ended fucked up blamed it more on the crazy traveling schedule rather than the in-ring style of the time. With that said, Cody taking a steel chair headshot a few months was still stupid.

[Edited on 12-1-2019 by First 9]

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2631
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 12-1-2019 at 08:08 AM Edit Post
And Shawn Spears is still a nobody
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4780
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 12-1-2019 at 01:25 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterphil

Yes, but a scripted event isn't an athletic competition. There is a case to be made that professional wrestling is more theatre than it is sport. It's athletic theatre, which one may say means it has more common with Cirque du Soleil than it does the National Football League. As it is scripted, with pre-determined outcomes and choreographed action, an Athletic Commission shouldn't have the power to sanction it.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1720
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2019 at 01:53 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
The Athletic comission only went after them because they basically got harassed by an old geezer who made FB posts about AEW violating their rules. Apparently the guy is obsessed with AEW and looks for any reason to thrash them.AEW will probably just have to pay a small fine and on the plus side can add some street cred to Moxley and Omega as guys who had a match so brutal that the state comission got involved.

Does said old geezer's profile photo look suspiciously like Vince McMahon with a moustache?

quote:
Pad, while I agree that AEW is trying to cash in on the nostalgia for the bloody, edgy 90s, they're not just sending out guys to go kill themselves.Omega vs Moxley had a lot of smoke and mirrors to replicated the old ECW hardcore matches. They relied on people not seeing this shit in years to get away with using a board of sanded down barbed wire and sugar glass to freak people out when back in the day Sabu would jump ass first into real razor sharp barbed wire(and not even as the finish of the match!). Also, because their schedule is A LOT lighter than WWE's the wrestlers are going to feel they can push the envelope more because they have more down time. Remember that a lot of the guys who ended fucked up blamed it more on the crazy traveling schedule rather than the in-ring style of the time. With that said, Cody taking a steel chair headshot a few months was still stupid.

[Edited on 12-1-2019 by First 9]

While I personally am not a fan of cringe hardcore wrestling -- e.g. barbed wire, broken glass, light tubes -- and never have been, this is a good point about the schedule. It's one of the reasons why some of AEW's crazier bumps don't seem as risky to me as they would be if WWE did them. With the exception of a few high-profile cases of guys whose tendencies toward particular ridiculous spots saw very specific negative results, such as Mick Foley with the concrete bumps or Chris Benoit with chairshots to the back of the head, most evidence seems to indicate it's the grind, not individual spots, that does the most damage.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2631
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 12-1-2019 at 04:36 PM Edit Post
And the grind is real, especially outside of WWE.

Even on small tours, your time is usually spent with all of the wrestlers, getting drunk and eating things you shouldn’t, usually staying up so late that your body isn’t Getting the required 7-9 hours of solid sleep to help rest your muscles.

On top of that, its so incredibly difficult to maintain a normal diet that is both nutritional AND gets you your necessary 200 grams of protein a day. Staying healthy on the road is whole ‘nother level of difficulty.

It’s a bit rough

[Edited on 12-1-2019 by CamstunPWG187]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6444
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: Pumpkinheaded dipshit

posted on 12-2-2019 at 02:48 AM Edit Post
Rumour has it Starrcade on the Network/Youtube were kinda fucky tonight.

WWE: Where Being a Fan Is a Fucking Chore!

“A wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that you’re afraid of.” - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11080
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 12-2-2019 at 08:57 AM Edit Post
Starrcade hi-lites:

- Rusev beat up Lashley with a kendo stick and a chair
- women's 4-team tag-match was good, especially Charlotte doing a double-spear, (magnificent) breasts-first into Asuka & Kairi

Other than that it looked like just a slightly better than usual house show. No big story.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4271
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-2-2019 at 03:14 PM Edit Post
Alex Shelley is out of hiatus and will be coming back to Japan in 2020. As somebody who loved the Machine Guns and Paparazi productions, it'd be great to see hm finally get his big break.
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 845
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-2-2019 at 09:45 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Alex Shelley is out of hiatus and will be coming back to Japan in 2020. As somebody who loved the Machine Guns and Paparazi productions, it'd be great to see hm finally get his big break.

Where has he been? Injured? Bad contract that’s finally expiring?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7483
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 12-2-2019 at 09:52 PM Edit Post
I really hope Triple H does that thing he does with appreciating indy talent and grabs the Machine Guns for NXT. I’d like to see them get a run there, probably get a tag title run, and maybe wind up on Raw or Smackdown to close up their careers.

Then AEW can have them.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4271
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-2-2019 at 09:59 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39

Where has he been? Injured? Bad contract that’s finally expiring?

Just on a prolonged break.

quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
I really hope Triple H does that thing he does with appreciating indy talent and grabs the Machine Guns for NXT. I’d like to see them get a run there, probably get a tag title run, and maybe wind up on Raw or Smackdown to close up their careers.

Same, WWE is stacked with talent but it'd be great to see the Guns get their moment in the sun.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2524
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 12-4-2019 at 04:10 AM Edit Post
Does Sabin even wrestle anymore? I think he's an agent in Impact right now.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11841
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 12-4-2019 at 07:03 AM Edit Post

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

ULTIMATE COMMENTATOR SHOWDOWN!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12897
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-4-2019 at 07:08 AM Edit Post
I like this.

I hope they give him different theme music. His last one SUCKED.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top