The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corey Graves vs. Maruo Ranallo: PICK A SIDE (there are no complicated shades of gray, only a simple black and white issue!)
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 11-27-2019 at 04:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Corey Graves vs. Maruo Ranallo: PICK A SIDE (there are no complicated shades of gray, only a simple black and white issue!)

Figured it's time to get a new rumor and whatever thread started, since Rick gets a little antsy about them anytime they near 1,000 posts.

-So, let's start with my personal favorite story of this week, the Corey Graves/Mauro Renallo (sp?) situation.

Basically, Graves made a tweet commending Nigel and Natalya whilst making a jab at Mauro for talking too much or something. On Sunday, Mauro and Frank Shamrock both left and did not do commentary for Survivor Series.

To top it all off, WWE acknowledged it by saying Mauro blew his voice out live on air during the PPV, when really, some think they should have not said anything other than "We know Mauro was supposed to be here, but due to a personal matter, he is not".

Graves has doubled down on it, refusing to apologize, and as of right now, the tweet is still up.

basically, Graves is being a prick.

-Vince is said to be in love with Keith Lee and was said to have been giving him a standing ovation in gorilla after the tag on Sunday.

-WWE apparently wants CM Punk to do an episode of Austin's "Broken Skull Sessions". Punk has not made any comment on it as of yet.

Discuss.

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by CamstunPWG187]

[Edited on 11-29-2019 by OORick]

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7441
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 11-27-2019 at 01:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It seemed like for most of that men’s War Games match, all I heard was Mauro. Nigel and Beth would occasionally chime in, but it seemed like they just waited for their turn to talk. WWE should maybe do one of two things:

1). Have Mauro call the Takeovers solo and have Beth and Nigel team up to do the Wednesday night shows (or have Mauro just call all NXT solo and Beth and Nigel do the UK shows).
2). Have Mauro tone it down a lot for everything other than the very big spots so the three can have rapport.

Mauro’s not bad at all, in fact he is very good, it’s just that it feels awkward when you have two other people at the table and they just kinda chime in.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4111
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 11-27-2019 at 02:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Beth is still new at this and Nigel might have just been having an off-night. The team does fine during the weekly NXT episodes.

Graves comes off as an idiot for letting this blow up. He already has a history of making stupid tweets and then backtracking.He could done that againt but instead picks this as the hill he will die on.

G-Spot
"El Diablo"

Posts 736
Registered 8-31-2008
Location J-Town Pa.

Mood:

posted on 11-27-2019 at 03:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I haven't listened, but it's being reported that on "After the Bell" Corey apoligized right up front...

quote:
"What’s up, everybody? Welcome to After The Bell, I am Corey Graves. A ton to get to this week as we do every week but before we go any further, on a personal note, I needed to address something. This past Saturday, during the ‘Takeover: WarGames’ event, I sent out a tweet. It was an unpopular opinion, as I often do with the intention of just stirring up a little controversy, maybe have something fun to talk about on TV or here on the show.”

“It was maybe not the most professional way to go about things, and it was never meant to offend or disrespect or disparage anybody. That was never my intention. If it was taken as such, I apologize deeply. That was not my intention. I would never intentionally cause anybody undue stress, especially a co-worker. So, I apologize.”

"G-Spot rocks the g-spot!!!
**Ghandi (Clone High)**

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-27-2019 at 04:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah, a classic non-apology after trying to die on the hill. Completely forced and it took him 4 days.

Classy.

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by CamstunPWG187]

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 377
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Northern Ireland

Mood:

posted on 11-27-2019 at 05:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
While I have a lot of respect for Mauro's never-ending battle with hefty mental health issues, i cant help but feel that the "insult" is incredibly mild and in my eyes the prospective fallout is cause for concern.

Not that I like Graves, i think he's a condescending prick and difficult to listen to, not to mention that highlighting problems in commentary is a classic example of 'when you point a finger, three point back' . But if this was almost any other industry and Mauro was in my employ, my immediate thoughts would jump straight to how this person deals (or cannot in this case) with forms of criticism. What would the result have been if this was from a producer, or Trips, or even Vince?

If its not handled extremely carefully, WWE could accidentally find themselves in situations where Mauro could slyly force their hand if he so wished.

But this is WWE, they love being delicate and handle everything carefully, dont they?

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by ulsterphil]

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8317
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 11-27-2019 at 05:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterphil
While I have a lot of respect for Mauro's never-ending battle with hefty mental health issues, i cant help but feel that the "insult" is incredibly mild and in my eyes the prospective fallout is cause for concern.

This. I mean, I know it's 2019, so everyone must be coddled and bent over backwards far in any possible way they deem fit. But my goodness, at what point are we allowed to tell someone to simply get over it?

Yeah, mental health issues are a bitch, I get it. But at the same time... fucking hell. If a tweet from a coworker says, "hey you like rap song references, we get it," is enough for one to curl up into a fetal ball and miss work for weeks at a time... well maybe it's time for that person to realize their own damn limitations and get a new job, because it's pretty clear this guy's self esteem is made up of balsa wood and hummingbird bones.

And you know what else? Fuck Mauro anyway. That guy lost all credibility the last time something like this happened. He had everyone whipped up into a frenzy hating JBL over a few perceived mean comments, but that sure as hell didn't stop HIM from then going on Twitter and taking a bunch of little chickenshit, passive aggressive jabs at JBL.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4111
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 11-27-2019 at 07:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Mauro's background is what makes WWE hesistant on how to deal with him. He's a legitimate sports commentator whose been behind the booth for huge boxing and mma matches and he's never seeemed to have problems with co-workers from that end. So it just might be WWE's less than ideal work environment. Pat Mcafee is another guy with legit credentials who was crying earlier this year about being yelled at by Michael Cole to lend more credence to that idea.

So if the guy can happily work in other environments with testosterone-feuled jocks, then it just paints WWE as a shit place to work with even if we don't know the full story.

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by First 9]

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7899
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-27-2019 at 07:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sooo.. following the events from this weekend, Ranallo is not expected to call tonight’s episode of NXT.

Hey Graves...

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3088
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We know this: Graves is a dick and Mauro is really thin-skinned, which the anxiety issues make worse. That’s not a good combo and it’s best they don’t work together in any capacity. WWE is trying to spin this as a work based on the SS brand wars, but whatever.

We also know this: if WWE really wanted to solve this problem, they could do so immediately by implementing a no-tolerance policy around this kind of stuff. You have a problem? Hash it out in private and do NOT air it out on social media.

I do think the shitty work environment points are fair, though. WWE is really tough to work for on commentary, but that shitty culture starts at the top. If Vince screams at and says rotten things to his commentators, then they’ll do the same to each other.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8317
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 11-27-2019 at 11:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A zero tolerance policy against what, though? There has to be a line somewhere.

For the record, here's the stuff that Graves said:

1. He sent out a tweet saying, "Just for the record guys, I know you wouldn’t know it, but there’s actually a WWE Hall of Famer AND a former Ring of Honor Champion on commentary. I’d imagine they have a lot to offer."

2. Someone sent Graves a message asking, "How many Chicago rap references has Mauro made tonight?" To which Graves replied, "far, far too many."

That's it. That's what all this stink is about.

Couple things.

--If this is what bullying is considered nowadays... I don't even know what the fuck anymore. Jesus H.

--If Mauro's mental stability is so fragile that something like that is enough to set him off and miss work, he needs to fucking get some help immediately. Because that's like, one tick away from, "Graves stuck tongue out at Mauro, Mauro must now take a month long leave of absence to recover."

--I know we aren't supposed to tell other people what they should and shouldn't be offended by, and I really am a believer in that. But seriously, come on. This isn't even Graves being a dick. It was Graves making a couple innocuous comments which really come off more like playful ribbing than anything truly mean-spirited. All the comments on those articles are rallying behind Mauro and acting as if Graves told him to eat shit and kill himself. That's absurd.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10865
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 11-28-2019 at 12:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunkYou have a problem? Hash it out in private and do NOT air it out on social media.

x 1,000,000. And it should apply to everyone on the planet. Especially to wrestling announcers who, most of the time, are doing it as a work to boost themselves or to promote whatever feud they've gotten slotted into. Can't hear someone's voice in a tweet to tell if they're joking. And even with emojis it's sometimes impossible to tell if they're being serious or just fucking around with each other. The rule, and it should come from the very top, should be that unless it's part of a script or some kind of agreed-upon staged work between performers (and that includes the announcers) is to keep it off of the internet. Seems fairly simple to do.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6263
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 11-28-2019 at 12:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm #TeamGraves on this one. Yes, he's a notoriously habitual line-stepper but that stuff barely comes close to the ribbing he would give to Byron or even Tom Philips back in the SD announce desk days. I salute Mauro as a true professional who is great at what he does and I empathize greatly with his depressionary struggles but this shit ain't badminton. Sheeeiiiiit, we all go harder in the paint here at each other with few issues fer feck's sake.

And, like, y'know, to be fair, his announcer dial constantly being at 11...tee billion is kind of a distraction at times. NOW JUMP IN THE CROWD, SPARK YOUR LIGHTERS, WAVE 'EM AROUND, IF YOU DON'T KNOW BY NOW, I'M TALKIN' BOUT CHI-TOWN 'CAUSE MAMA MIA! A HEADLOCK!!! HE'S GOT A HEADLOCK ON!!!! HE'S NOW CINCHING THE HEADLOCK IN SLIGHTLY TIGHTER THAN HE PREVIOUSlY HAD IT ON!

But more to the point, do we actually know why Mauro took a leave of absence or is this all still rank rumour, innuendo, and Twatter speculatin'?

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1670
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 11-28-2019 at 12:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think a lot of people are assuming that Mauro Ranallo is reacting entirely to Corey Graves' comments and nothing else. Taking for granted the fact that his absence is a direct result of those comments -- which, as janerd points out, we don't actually know for sure, as we're going entirely off of rumors here -- it would seem far, far more likely to me that this is more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. I mean, didn't they put Ranallo on NXT in part because he had a hard time coping with the pressure of live TV? And now he's been back on live TV for two months. I would guess his anxiety has been building to a boiling point, and Graves' largely harmless shitposting was just what set him off. Remove Graves from the equation, and this probably just happens a few weeks later.
Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4711
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 11-28-2019 at 01:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
We also know this: if WWE really wanted to solve this problem, they could do so immediately by implementing a no-tolerance policy around this kind of stuff. You have a problem? Hash it out in private and do NOT air it out on social media.

We also know that Corey Graves is a heel announcer who used to be a heel wrestler. He is a trained professional who makes a living by giving shit to others. That's one of the main requirements of the jobs he's held in this industry. You can claim that a shitty work environment promotes this kind of behaviour all you want, but I don't think it has to do with being in a toxic work environment. The work literally entails people talking shit about other people in public to promote themselves. I think it's a fair argument to say that it's unnecessary for commentators to be doing that to other commentators, but I don't think it' fair to assume that it is a personal attack or an act of bullying when guys like Graves have been doing this for a living for several decades. That it happens on Twitter now doesn't mean the comments are out of character.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3209
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 11-28-2019 at 01:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What Punker said.

I don’t know what happened but if he had to take a leave of absence over that then Mauro’s a pussy. There you go.

I also 100% doubt that it actually did go like that because it’s the internet, people jump to conclusions and 95% of the OO Jury of High and Mightiness were going to decide it’s Grave’s fault for being a meany-face regardless of what the evidence showed.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-28-2019 at 04:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Take, for example, the kids in school who weren’t exactly disabled, but the ones who had to learn in a different wing of the school due to their inability to co-exists with other students. There could be many factors as to why they aren’t able to do so (severe depression, dysfunctional upbringing, traumatic events, outright bad seeds). These students were special needs students and were kept away from 98% of the other students so they could learn in a more controlled environment. We all saw these students.

If one student decided to pick on these particular students or crack a joke on them, it was a different ball game of severity if caught. It went beyond “being funny” and telling the bullied student to grow a pair and, instead, went into the realm of “you’re being a pretty big asshole/piece of shit, leave them alone.”

Like, there are some people who you’re told not to mess with in life. You never know their exact history or WHY they are that way, but their response to what you might scoff at as a joke or insult might be severely different and damaging.

I’m not taking Graves side on this one. Something severe happened with Renallo in the past, and we still don’t know just how bullied he might have been or the details behind the scenes, but it’s obvious he has mental stability issues with being picked on and such, so......why fuck with him if you know this?

There are two reasons Graves did this (stole this from Alvarez):

1.) He did it knowing how sensitive Renallo is, and thus, is a prick.

Or 2.) He did this knowing Renallo’s problems and didn’t think anything serious would happen, and thus, is an idiot.

What’a the other reason for doing it?

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8007
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 11-28-2019 at 04:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I should be shocked that people are actually on Corey's side on this but sadly I'm not. Mauro may have thin skin, but it doesn't fucking matter because Corey doesn't need to be talking shit about his coworkers on social media AT ALL. And if he's going to do it, then at least stand behind it like the fucking piece of shit you are instead of sidestepping, deflecting, and then issuing half-assed apologies. Corey Graves is an utter piece of shit who has shown his character by cheating on his wife already and poking at a coworkers insecurities, but yea, let's blame the victim...no matter how much of a victim you may think he is, he literally did nothing wrong in this case EXCEPT DO HIS FUCKING JOB but Corey's the one in the right.

Like I said, I should be shocked that people are on Corey's side, but its 2019 and social media has made everyone think they can be dicks because it'll get them clicks or follows or in some horrible cases, presidencies.

I give up. I wish Zuckerberg, Tom, and everyother shitstain who was behind the advent of social media would all face time traveling Deadpool who could put a bullet in all their baby brains so we wouldn't have people thinking their opinions about subjects they are not involved in actually matter. And I'm a hypocrite for even posting my opinion because well, why the fuck not.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-28-2019 at 04:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
^^^^this, too.
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10865
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 11-28-2019 at 05:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Mauro's last meltdown happened about this time of year too so odds are good that his seasonal affective disorder might be kicking in. Everyone has SAD to a certain degree and someone like Mauro with already-existing issues is even more likely to have it. Combine it with the pressure of the past week's events and he could be just due for a break, with Graves' trolling merely being co-incidental to the timing. Whatever Graves is like in-character I highly doubt he's really stupid enough to take a cheap shot at Mauro in public when everyone in the company knows the kind of issues Mauro struggles with. If Graves is that dumb or mean-spirited enough to do it on purpose then he should be canned for it.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3279
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 11-28-2019 at 07:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This has been my longstanding position on Corey Graves: Fuck that douchebag and his stupid knuckle-tattoos. Thus, I'm inclined to "side" with Mauro on this one, if it boils down to picking one or the other. As outlined above, Knucklefuck has NO reason to pull this kind of Twatter bullshit except for being 1)a moron or 2)a twat. It's not exactly rocket surgery, but in this day & age, many people are too prone to pressing "send" before they actually think about what they've written.

The Blogosphere (wait, we don't have that anymore, but anywho..) needs to take advice from Herm Edwards: DON'T PRESS SEND.

"At this point Brock is so bulletproof, they could fucking crucify him and he would kick out before the third day." -- ulsterphil

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 822
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-28-2019 at 10:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Take, for example, the kids in school who weren’t exactly disabled, but the ones who had to learn in a different wing of the school due to their inability to co-exists with other students...

If one student decided to pick on these particular students or crack a joke on them, it was a different ball game of severity if caught. It went beyond “being funny” and telling the bullied student to grow a pair and, instead, went into the realm of “you’re being a pretty big asshole/piece of shit, leave them alone.”

Except we're not talking about School here - we're talking about Professional Wrestling - an industry where - as Slade pointed out - talking shit is a job requirement.

A better analogy would be Gangsta Rap: say after NaS dropped Ether - Jay-Z's response was to drop a track about how his feelings were hurt and that NaS should say sorry plus EVERYONE dressed that way in the late 80's! Everyone would shit on Jay-Z because he's not doing his job.

Or a better analogy than Jay-Z (since he has no mental illness that we know of) would be Kanye West - who's shit talking game is next level and who is also Bi-Polar. He's been at the center of several vicious Twitter storms pretty much since the medium was launched (not to mention the storms he was in the midst of beforehand).

This is not to say that I'm taking Corey Graves' side on this one. I'll reiterate what others have said that first and foremost - THIS IS ALL INTERNET SPECULATION. We don't know that is why Mauro Ranello is taking time off.

For my money: Mauro Ranello and Corey Graves are the best announcers WWE has. Graves is a modern day emo lovechild of Heenan and Ventura while Ranello channels Schiavone/JR.

Also - comparing Graves mild Twitter jabs to whatever JBL was subjecting Mauro doesn't add up either. Ranello and JBL shared a booth every week for a period of time. What happened between them was up close, personal and protracted due to proximity and work schedule. That's the sort of thing that leads to legit meltdowns.

Graves dropped two tweets - one of which doesn't even mention Ranello. So yeah - if it actually has gone down like the internet speculation is claiming (which I have serious doubts) and if that's enough to trigger Ranello off: he should probably consider a different industry. As mentioned before - he's done fine in other broadcasting capacities.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-28-2019 at 11:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I still don’t see how my comparison isn’t relatable to this situation at all. You’re ending point of how wrestling is an industry where talking shit is a job requirement is a bit moot since, well, they are announcers and Graves’ tweet was very mark-ish in tone. He didn’t even diss anyone else on NXT’s side. He heavily complimented both the face and heel announcers while needlessly shitting on Renallo. No storyline value came from that. There will not be a match between announcers, nor will there be a feud.

What’s the point of saying “Renallo should just find a new job”? What kind of shit is that to say? It’s so dismissive of individual problems people face. He shouldn’t have to go anywhere. He’s a good announcer and does his job well enough, and doesn’t have a negative reputation. In fact, you don’t hear anyone in the business say a word about him. His job is to be an announcer (as is Graves’s.), so what good does any of that twitter war shit accomplish?

At the end of the day, you’re seemingly justifying bullying and shitty workplace etiquette, holding onto the old mentality that wrestlers should “deal with it” when it comes to hazing and whatnot.

No one deserves to be slammed on social media like that.

[Edited on 11-28-2019 by CamstunPWG187]

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 822
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-28-2019 at 12:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For the most part - I'm in agreement with you. The JBL/Mauro stuff was bullshit and Mauro should never had to have dealt with that.

But I also think that a line needs to be drawn. It was two tweets. When you are a public figure - getting slammed on social media/internet comes with the territory. If two tweets benches you - that's a strong indication of thin skin.

Was Graves out of line? Sure. I think a case can be made for that I can get behind. But if Mauro is benching himself over two tweets - he's not looking good either.

That said - my main point is that THIS IS INTERNET SPECULATION.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10865
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 11-28-2019 at 05:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Didn't the Mauro/JBL thing turn out to be kind of an internet myth? That JBL, as much as he definitely is difficult to work with and is also a genuine asshole, was far less at fault than the combination of Mauro's stresses building up too much plus being yelled at over the headset by Vince during SD shows? Social media in a nutshell in that the maniacal rush to judgement by an easily-triggered and ill-informed herd is it's major distinguishing characteristic.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top