The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Disney+
Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3498
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 11-12-2019 at 12:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Disney+

Anyone getting disney plus? Doesnít launch here until March but Iím gonna try and get around it with a VPN tonight. If anyone is signing up anyway and wants to exchange disney plus for Netflix or WWE network, let me know!

Whatís everyone looking forward to? Iím sure Iíll watch the mandelorian, but as a theme park fan Iím actually more excited about Dwayne Johnsonís ďbegins the attractionĒ show.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7408
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 11-12-2019 at 12:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I picked up the year subscription a week ago so I had it ready for when my nieces showed up this morning. This is a godsend for anyone who has to watch small children for any amount of time, because almost everything they watch is right there. And since they opened up the Vault for this, I can finally clear out my DVR and cancel Netflix onc Iíve binged the Witcher at the end of the year.

Also not hurting: 90ís X-Men and 90ís Spider-Man are BOTH THERE! The #2 and #5 cartoon shows ever...never could find them anywhere, and all it took was Disney buying Fox.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3498
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 11-12-2019 at 12:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah having an 18 month old, Iím hoping I can get it working so we can download stuff onto the iPad for when weíre out & about. Fingers crossed I can get around it this evening, trying to sign up on my phone at the moment and itís being a bit of a pain!
Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1977
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 11-12-2019 at 03:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yep, once this was announced it was a no-brained given that we have a three-year-old daughter. Iíll happily pay the seven bucks a month for everything rather than buying the different movies for $20 a pop, and all the Fox/Marvel/Star Wars for me is a big plus as well. And since we already subscribe to Hulu anyway, getting the bundle essentially adds ESPN+ on for free.

As for what Iíll be watching, yes Iíll absolutely also be revisiting those old Marvel cartoons and rewatching some of the movies. I also want to see some of the late 90s/early 2000s shows that I never watched during their original run (Iíve heard in particular that X-Men: Evolution is pretty good).

I donít know if Iíll be watching Mandalorian, as Iíve never been one to dive too deep into the extended Star Wars universe outside of the main line of movies.

The shows with Dwayne Johnson and Jeff Goldblum will certainly be given a look as well.

And color me not surprised at the technical/signup issues. By not allowing people to sign up for the Hulu/ESPN bundle until today, they just ensured hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people trying to do it all at the same time, and there will probably never be more people trying to sign up or get into the service at the same time as right now. I remember when WWE network went live, signing up wasnít a big hassle and the main ďliveĒ stream of programming worked fine, but it was several days before I could get anything in the on-demand menus to play.

Edit: No issues on my end though. Signed up smoothly, downloaded the app and was able to get an episode of the Simpsons to start without issue.

[Edited on 11-12-2019 by Cherokee Jack]

I'm Cherokee Jack!

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 11-12-2019 at 05:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Mrs. was able to get that limited-time deal they offered a little while back, where one could sign up in a three year chunk. But it works out to only being 3.80ish a month... we were gonna subscribe anyway, so it was an obvious decision to jump on it.

A few server issues this morning... certain things won't load, but that'll be sorted out eventually, so whatever. I'd say 3/4 of what we've tried to play this morning has worked just fine.

I'm geeking out for all the 80s/90s cartoons for sure. As well as all those old, live action movies from the 50s-70s! As an 80s kid, I have some fond memories of all those flicks airing on TV during my childhood.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10711
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 11-14-2019 at 04:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Awful brave of the critics to crap all over The Mandalorian even though only one episode has been released. I guess their main bitch is that it's "too slow", or doesn't have any Skywalkers in it, or whatever else trifling gripe it is that they've latched on to. And apparently a slo-burn story in Star Wars that will unfold over an entire season, as opposed to the breakneck pace of action in a $300 million movie, is just too much to expect them to sit through. Looks like something as cool & lethal as an IG-model bounty-hunting droid going into full battle-mode and gunning down about twenty attackers in less than a minute just didn't make the grade as far as fun SW entertainment goes for them, in their considered & educated opinions.

There's legit criticism and then there's just bitchy complaining for the sake of being a whiner. And what I've seen so far about those going after The Mandalorian is that most of them fall into the latter camp. Confirms what I've thought all along, the primary "skill" in being a professional reviewer/critic is to mere have the personality of a complete asshole.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12677
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 11-14-2019 at 06:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Disney+ has pretty much been on at all times me and the lady aren't at work since Tuesday morning. Revisiting old classics, checking out new things.

Lady and the Tramp - live action version - Cute. I haven't watched the cartoon one in 20+ years, but this was nice. The dogs looked great, thanks to using real dogs for most of the movie, with CGI mostly on action sequences, facial expressions, "talking" (which they did a good job of IMO), and the no-longer-Siamese cats (which looked fake as fuck). They were smart not to release this in the theater and save it for this launch, because I don't think it would've done well and word of mouth probably would have been tepid. I'm not going to call it great, but it was an enjoyable 100 minutes. Better than that shit Malifecent sequel that was in the theater.

The World According To Jeff Goldblum - this was fantastic. Fun 30 minute show of Jeff Goldblum diving in to fun subjects in his quirky eccentric Jeff Goldblumy way. First episode was about sneakers. Next week is about ice cream. Highest recommendation.

Pixar Shorts - I've seen most of these back when they were released, and they're good fun to watch again. I hadn't watched the newer Sparkshorts yet until this week:

Purl - I liked the idea and concept of this, but it really didn't do anything for me.

Smash and Grab - This was a nice story

Kitbull - This one is really well done, great art style, but holy shit I cried so fucking hard. I highly recommend this, but be warned, if you love or even like dogs at all, you're going to lose your macho card on this one.

Float - This one was really sweet. I'm don't have kids, and I'm guessing any father or anyone growing up a as a "weird kid" (like me) will really find this touching. Plus, first time Filipino-American characters are showcased in a story from a major American animation studio.

Star Wars Blips- I guess these were made in 2017, but I didn't see them til now. These were really fun bits starring BB-8 and R2-D2. Each episode is about a minute long.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 11-15-2019 at 07:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, this thing has already been well worth the price, and it's barely been out for three days now. It's been on pretty much nonstop over here, as well.

I liked the Jeff Goldblum show, too. Fun stuff. Lady and the Tramp is next on the list of stuff to watch. I've been watching the X-Men cartoon and feeling like I'm 13 again. I've only watched one movie so far-- Robin Hood, because that one was my favorite Disney movie when I was a kid. And of course plenty of Simpsons that I've already seen a zillion times.

Like Jack, I also have a three-year-old daughter... who is a Disney Junior addict. I've seen every episode of Mickey and the Roadster Racers, Muppet Babies, Vampirina, Fancy Nancy and Puppy Dog Pals dozens of times over*. And I'm talking before Disney+ was even a thing. So we've been trying to get her to watch some of the older stuff we watched as children.

So far, she seems to enjoy Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears and Winnie the Pooh, which is pretty cool.

*Little side note if you have kids-- the Muppet Babies remake is actually really well done, which is nice, especially if you fondly watched the 80s version. Puppy Dog Pals is fun, too, and was created by Harland Williams. Yes, THAT Harland Williams-- the dude from Half-Baked, Dumb & Dumber, etc.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7408
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 11-15-2019 at 11:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My nieces were on a Peter Pan binge after they got (pun intended) hooked on Hook, so when the original Peter Pan was made available, they were excited. Then we kinda remembered real quick how boring some of these older Disney movies could start. And then we realized how kinda racist Disney movies could be back then. But for a few toddlers, they just got bored quick, so the older Disney cartoons probably stay for more nostalgia for the grown folk.

My biggest success to come from this is getting the nieces hooked on 90ís X-Men. The opening theme did its job as well as it did when it was new, and I was sure to stick with the more action packed episodes. Also managed to solve an issue: if the voices are out of sync with Spider-Man or X-Men episodes, watch something else and then go back. It isnít permanent, which almost killed this for me.

Havenít even seen Mandalorian yet, but Iím guessing once Iíve caught up on other actual viewing, thatís next.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7585
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-17-2019 at 03:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm just glad that Disney put the episode numbers back into the Star Wars films on Disney+, because seeing them referred to as Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, Star Wars: A New Hope, etc the last few years kind of irked me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top