The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (October 30, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4371
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-30-2019 at 11:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (October 30, 2019)

AEW vs. NXT SNAPSHOT
AEW Weekly Viewership Wins: 4
NXT Weekly Viewership Wins: 0
Current Streak: AEW 4 week winning streak
Average Total Combined Weekly Audience (including replays/streaming): N/A (hopefully I will be able to find a reliable source for these figures in the near future)

LAST WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT
Live Viewership: AEW 1.0 million > NXT 700,000
Total Viewership (including replays and streaming): N/A (ditto)
Which Show Was Better in OOur Expert OOpinion: NXT
Micronalysis: AEW started with some solid in-ring tag action and a fun wacky brawl, but ultimately fizzled. NXT was strong to start and stronger to finish, including Finn Balor's red hot heel turn.

THIS WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT

Up against Game 7 of the World Series, it almost seems like both shows are taking a more "maintenance" type approach, rather than trying to set the world on fire. [Last week, against Game 2, both shows basically held onto their previous week's audience for the first time, which is a good sign that they might have found their ratings "floor." Tonight will test that.]

AEW has a PPV coming up in a little over a week, but has really only announced two meaningful segments. (1) Their first tag champs will be crowned, when the Lucha Bros take on Frankie Kanzarian and Scorpio Sky in the finals of a tournament... and (2) AEW Champ Chris Jericho and Cody Rhodes will have the contract signing for their PPV title match.

The latter could get interesting. For starters, with all the various associates and hired goons possessed by both men, it could spin off into a match or two (alleviating the problem of so few meaningful pre-announced segments). And also, AEW has announced that the PPV title match will have 3 ringside judges, who will determine the outcome should it go to a draw/no decision... starting the teasing/speculating on those judges could be interesting. The last time a major match for a major promotion used the "judges" concept was the Steamboat/Flair match where the elderly Terry Funk seemed innocuous enough of a judge, but turned out to jumpstart the 2nd phase of his career, instead, so.... who wants to start guessing at who AEW might put out there as a surprise mechanism via which Jericho can keep the title?

Over on NXT, it's sort of the same: one huge tag match, and then a nebulous non-match segment that should/could be newsworthy.

The match is a women's tag title match in which Asuka and Kairi Sane defend against Tegan Nox and Dakota Kai. It should be nothing less than an outstanding contest, and a title change might even be possible (though not probable) depending on how much singles stuff they want Asuka and Kairi to do on the main roster.

And the segment is Finn Balor providing more details regarding last week's heel turn. As we all agreed in last week's thread, it probably ends up having to do with the upcoming WarGames match, and Finn fielding a "tweener" team to exist between the heel Undisputed Era and a DIY-led pure-babyface team..

That is all. End communication.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 12:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If it turns into Finn leading a tweener team, I donít get it. Finn was massively over as a face and both Ciampa and Gargano have been more heel than or tweener than face for awhile now (although I guess Gargano is back to being straight face). Wouldíve made more sense to have Velvet join DIY and Priest(???) and then get a face team of Finn/Bate/Dunne/Riddle(????).

But Iíll roll with whatever and Iím sure itíll kick ass.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4371
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-31-2019 at 12:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was taking the discussion in last week's thread as read, and you're probably right that "tweener" is the wrong word....

But more or less the UE are pure heels. Whoever joins DIY will be pure babyfaces (Gargano got there on his own merits, and unless Ciampa has another card to play, he is babyface-by-default after how fans treated him upon his return from injury).

Finn is doing something else. Narratively heelish, but more lone-wolf-y and in it for his own reasons, which will result in some fans who can't resist cheering. I think if he's just got some massive grudge against Gargano, he'll break more heel, but otherwise, it'll be hard to keep him from having shades of gray unless he flat out joins UE (which he won't).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7839
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-31-2019 at 12:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The look of boredom during in the crowd during the Womenís match made me wonder if TSN was showing RAW.

Think Iíll go back to Raps bs Pistons.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7585
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 12:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Something I was thinking about tonight: I wonder if AEW keeping track of wins/losses and displaying them onscreen might eventually paint them into a corner with how they book things. Like, right now it doesn't really matter because everyone only has five or six matches to their name but a year or two from now? It seems like some guys might look like perennial losers if they have a bad win/loss record or we may see more time limit draws like last week, so that two wrestlers can work a match without having to add a loss to one of their records.

I'm just thinking what if the WWE did that and every time Seth Rollins came out to wrestle, it had a graphic saying he was 185-253 in his WWE career (and I'm just pulling those numbers out of my ass, but you get the idea).

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7957
Registered 11-16-2002
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Regarding w/l records, they've said they'll be reset at some point so you won't see those massive numbers.

Also, did AEW just turn into Lucha Underground with that Brandi Rhodes/Kong segment?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7585
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 12:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Regarding w/l records, they've said they'll be reset at some point so you won't see those massive numbers.

Ah okay, I hadn't heard that. Though if that's the case, I don't really get what the point of keeping track of the win/loss records is if everyone is just going to get reset to 0-0 eventually.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7957
Registered 11-16-2002
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 01:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We've been wrong...WOMEN'S WARGAMES

ETA: I had been wondering how they get around having all the titles on UE and still doing Wargames with them leaving only a woman's title match. I suppose they could have done a WALTER match but it was still something NXT had been reluctant to do not showcasing the belts. Now it makes sense, Baszler has been dominating singles matches and another one wouldn't move the needle...but Horsewomen, Io, and Bianca vs. Rhea, Candace, Dakota, Tegan, mystery partner does move the needle and now you can fill the card with Cole/Ciampa, Finn/Johnny, Strong/Dream, Priest/Dunne, UE/someone, Riddle/Lee/Dijokovic.

[Edited on 10-31-2019 by DevilSoprano]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4056
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 10-31-2019 at 02:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
JR saying Wubba lubba DUB DUB works on so many levels.
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 07:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
I was taking the discussion in last week's thread as read, and you're probably right that "tweener" is the wrong word....

But more or less the UE are pure heels. Whoever joins DIY will be pure babyfaces (Gargano got there on his own merits, and unless Ciampa has another card to play, he is babyface-by-default after how fans treated him upon his return from injury).

Finn is doing something else. Narratively heelish, but more lone-wolf-y and in it for his own reasons, which will result in some fans who can't resist cheering. I think if he's just got some massive grudge against Gargano, he'll break more heel, but otherwise, it'll be hard to keep him from having shades of gray unless he flat out joins UE (which he won't).

I thought that we were going under the assumption (at the time) that there would be three teams but now it seems itíll be just two. And like Iíll say later, Gargano/Balor appears to be its own match.

AEW had a few good matches and a great main event for the finals of the tag tournament but NXT wins this weekís pretty easily for me.

quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
We've been wrong...WOMEN'S WARGAMES

ETA: I had been wondering how they get around having all the titles on UE and still doing Wargames with them leaving only a woman's title match. I suppose they could have done a WALTER match but it was still something NXT had been reluctant to do not showcasing the belts. Now it makes sense, Baszler has been dominating singles matches and another one wouldn't move the needle...but Horsewomen, Io, and Bianca vs. Rhea, Candace, Dakota, Tegan, mystery partner does move the needle and now you can fill the card with Cole/Ciampa, Finn/Johnny, Strong/Dream, Priest/Dunne, UE/someone, Riddle/Lee/Dijokovic.

[Edited on 10-31-2019 by DevilSoprano]

After Ciampa said he was going to war Iím guessing weíre getting a woman's and a menís War Games. It looks like UE vrs Ciampa/Riddle/Lee/I assume Dream? Still leaves Gargano vrs Balor, Dane/Priest vrs Bate/Dunne and maybe a WALTER or Lio Rush match. Maybe a Trevor Lee match?

Maybe theyíre waiting on the title matches for the first PPV thatís going up against the AEW PPV (assuming thatís still the plan after Novemberís PPVs?).

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6134
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Orton (Orton)

posted on 10-31-2019 at 09:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

After dickin' aboat the three supposed supposed "mains" in RAM/SD/Dynamite, I can now gladly say NXT is fully my jam. It is, in fact, The Shit. I don't dislike them, but I generally sleepwatch through most of RAM/SD and vaguely look in on AEW. However, NXT fully keeps my interest and attention because it has such a frenetic and seemingly uncontrived vibe to it that doesn't quite exist with the other shows.

For as much as I enjoy NWA Powerrr as a genuinely delightful callback to the NWA/WCW studio days of yore, to my oldass eyes NXT on USA is the natural and fully serious evolution of that concept in the here and now.

Fuckin' A, Haitch, it's as though you truly were a student of The Game and actually did positive proof of concept in situ while the Ol' Man is still breathin'! Now if that ain't some fine cerebral assassinatin' then I don't know what is.

FWIW, the Janneilsen Ratings Thusfar:

1) NXT
2) NWA Powerrr
3) SD
4) RAM
5) AEW

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7585
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 09:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
After dickin' aboat the three supposed supposed "mains" in RAM/SD/Dynamite, I can now gladly say NXT is fully my jam. It is, in fact, The Shit.

That's where I'm at too. AEW is fine, RAW and Smackdown are always a mixed bag, but NXT is the most consistently entertaining wrestling program on TV for my money. And after a month on USA, it's good to see that it's apparently being kept safe from Vince's influence.

And I normally don't like when the WWE has musical acts on their shows (because they usually suck), but I have to admit...that Poppy song kind of kicks ass. It's like some weird amalgamation of pop and metal, but it works.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10715
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-31-2019 at 09:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT is like a weekly concert by an awesome rock band at the height of their greatness. The rest are all merely wrasslin' shows. That's the best way I can describe the differences between them.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4056
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 10-31-2019 at 09:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
And I normally don't like when the WWE has musical acts on their shows (because they usually suck), but I have to admit...that Poppy song kind of kicks ass. It's like some weird amalgamation of pop and metal, but it works.

Helps that NXT knew exactly how to feature her. Her concert was basically a musical intro for the show with the NXT clips behind and seguing right ino Io's entrance.

Most of WWE's musical acts are placed in the middle of the show and are basically piss breaks.

[Edited on 10-31-2019 by First 9]

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 10:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

That's where I'm at too. AEW is fine, RAW and Smackdown are always a mixed bag, but NXT is the most consistently entertaining wrestling program on TV for my money. And after a month on USA, it's good to see that it's apparently being kept safe from Vince's influence.

Now that the Saudi Thing is just about over Iím wondering if Vince steps in at some point if the ratings donít improve. Then again, with dealing Fox/USA executives and this XFL shitshow, I guess he just doesnít have time/doesnít care. I hope the XFL succeeds just to keep Vince occupied.

[Edited on 10-31-2019 by CVD39]

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1791
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 11-1-2019 at 04:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
-- AEW Dynamite and WWE's NXT show both suffered in the ratings battle last night against monstrous competition from Game 7 of the World Series. Dynamite fell to 759,000 viewers down from last week's 963,000 and the fourth straight week of decline since the show debuted with over 1.4 million viewers in early October. NXT on USA fell to 580,000 viewers from 698,000 a week prior - the sixth straight week that show has declined since debuting in September.

-- As noted, competition played a huge part in the viewership numbers with MLB's World Series Game 7 drawing a gigantic 23.0 million viewers on FOX, dominating everything in its path last night. In the 18-49 demographic, AEW drew a 0.33 rating, NXT a 0.18 rating while the baseball game checked in at an amazing 6.1 rating. Two NBA regular season games also felt the wrath of the World Series as neither topped one million viewers.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top