The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (October 21, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4376
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-21-2019 at 11:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (October 21, 2019)

Tonight on RAW: it's the first "business as usual" show in 3 weeks, after much stunt casting and gimmickry.... thing is, WWE doesn't have much to show for the supposedly "huge" shows (at least, not on RAW), so turning the dial down on effort doesn't seem like a good idea...

Then again, maybe it's a great idea, and without Stable Genius Vince McMahon overthinking everything at every stage, RAW will turn out to be -- you know? -- just a good ol' simple rasslin' show...

As of this writing, only two matches are officially on the docket, and only one really intrigues anyone.... the Street Profits make their main roster in-ring debut.... they'll be joined by a Mystery Partner to face The Club (Styles/Anderson/Gallows).... so uhhh yadda yadda yadda Edge something something, anyone?.... probably not, so it's a partner who will immediately slot in as #1 Contender to the US Title; Cedric has burned his chances, but Aleister Black would be a great choice for a fresh challenger...

The other is Andrade [redacted] [redacted] taking on Sin Cara for reasons....

Two other main storylines featured in WWE's hype:

Now that "Team Hogan" is complete for Saudi Arabia (Capt. Reigns, Richochet, Rusev, Ali, Gable), Flair will reveal his final team member (which currently has Capt. Orton, Lashley, Corbin, Nakamura)... Orton, Lashley, Ricochet, and Rusev are all RAW guys who will be available tonight to provide the background/fodder for said revelation.... my money's on Drew McIntyre...

And WWEU Champ Seth Rollins has some splainin' to do, after he "burned it down" last week.... in a positively fucktarded ending to RAW, Seth set fire to Bray Wyatt's Funhouse, and the reaction from fans ran the gamut from "that's lame" to "oh heel turn for Rollins, right?"... neither of those was WWE's desired reaction (they thought it'd make Seth look like a bad ass, and instead it was just HiaC redux, where he also tried to get "extreme" and mostly just came off like a bit of a drama queen), and so tonight they try to right the ship.... Seth defending his title against SD's Bray Wyatt in Saudi Arabia is a strangely cross-brand issue, and I still feel like Bray works better on RAW (with Heyman, and without clueless FOX people trying to figure out the Fiend), so we'll see how that goes....

Everything else is a general reset now that the rosters are set in stone.... in particular, RAW Women's Champ Becky Lynch is without an obvious challenger, now that Charlotte seems comfy as a fellow babyface; there is talk of Asuka "double dipping" as a singles, even as she continues defending the women's tag titles with Kairi, and certainly the way Becky cut her promo 2 weeks ago hinted as an extended program vs. Asuka, which I would most certainly enjoy.... meantime, it could even evolve into a situation where Asuka and Kairi do have tag matches against Becky and Charlotte (where the prickly heat between the two frenemies could eventually build to one of them turning heel)... new RAW tag champs are the Viking Warriors, and short of a new team emerging out of nowhere (like Ziggler/Roode), you gotta think either (1) they are just waiting for the "Best in the World" Tag Team Turmoil to elevate someone or (2) it'll be Anderson & Gallows....

Also, Kevin Owens is on RAW, but has not actually been seen anywhere since 3 weeks ago when he beat Shane McMahon on the FOX debut of SD, which is.... odd. More KO = Good, so make it so, WWE.....

That is all. End communication.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Ye Olde Twittere featured a thing from Montez Ford referring to their match tonight and having friends in "high" places, so Alexander seems like a solid pick for their mystery partner. Or Ricochet if he's not tied up elsewhere. Or basically anyone that is sufficiently flippy. Or take the comment in a different way and we get a surprised RVD return!

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6146
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Orton (Orton)

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh Christ they're sending Ric out there on his own with a live mic?!

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

I’ll give AEW credit ... while they lack in woman’s wrestlers they really do have the market cornered on add nothing but be super hot arm candy valets these days. - Also OOur Jerzoid Imam (PBUH)

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Welcome back, Drew! Just a shame you're back as a part of this mess.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10737
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Huh. Guess by default that any show that starts with a boost for Blood Money in Old Araby is gonna suck.
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1651
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I came into this match a couple minutes late, but did one of these guys get concussed early on or something? This is playing out a lot more awkwardly than I would expect from these two.

Maybe it's just residual disorientation from being so close to Ric Flair.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6146
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I counted at least 3-4 times Ricky Shea could have, should have, and/or probably did dislocate/break his shoulder and/or hip, sustain no less than 2 concussions, and break his neck causing partial paralysis at least once.

I’ll give AEW credit ... while they lack in woman’s wrestlers they really do have the market cornered on add nothing but be super hot arm candy valets these days. - Also OOur Jerzoid Imam (PBUH)

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10737
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
An Alabama Slam into the ring steps seems kind of unsporting and un-necessarily mean spirited, Drew.

Oh yay, they're dragging Lawler into the cuckoldry storyline to provide some brain-dead questioning. Hurrah!

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-22-2019 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dio quoting Castlevania II, this is now the greatest of Raws.

Edit: Horrible, horrible Rusev/Lana/Lashley crap next with Lawler thrown in for good measure, this is now..... well, this is now basically just a regular Raw again.

Edit II: This segment, and all future segments related to this angle, deserve the crowd to just generate one giant continuous WHAT that lasts as long as the segment.

[Edited on 10-22-2019 by Il Palazzo]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6146
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-22-2019 at 01:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Poor RuRu in the ring be like...

If I 'member my Morse code correctly, I think he's blinking out, "A-E-DUB! A-E-DUB! A-E-DUB!"

Also, RuRu looks like Freddie Mercury got hit by some Gamma radiation in a lab accident gone wrong.

Also2, we couldn't just have Aiden and Rusev Day back huh Vince?

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-22-2019 at 01:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Finding out why Rollins did something super obvious would be entertaining if there was a completely out there reasoning instead of "somethingsomething Burn It Down somethingsomething Bray always has his shit set on fire." On the plus side, maybe the segment will suddenly end with a ref stops it out of nowhere.

Edit II: Mothers love the Street Profits more, therefore their surprise partner is Judy Bagwell.

Edit III: Hey, I remember that title! Also, Truth was SO CLOSE to a solid Simpsons joke. So close.

Edit IV: I was all OH HEY RYDER AND HAWKINS. And then remembered the Viking Raiders had come out first. Maybe this will still be a match that lasts longer than five minutes?

G-Spot
"El Diablo"

Posts 709
Registered 8-31-2008
Location J-Town Pa.

Mood:

posted on 10-22-2019 at 01:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That Ru-Lash-Lana segment would have been better as a Dinner for 3 plug!

"G-Spot rocks the g-spot!!!
**Ghandi (Clone High)**

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3142
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-22-2019 at 02:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It’s almost like using Ricochet, Black and Andrade improves the show. Huh ... who knew?

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-22-2019 at 02:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like this trend of outsiders showing up and throwing shite punches. It really adds flavor to the experience.

Edit: I feel bad for Carrillo. I haven't seen any of his prior matches, but it sounded like he was solid? And yet here he is, getting his first Raw match against Rollins, which on paper sounds like a good start. Except for the continued stink from all of the recent "creative" decisions with the Rollins/Wyatt stuff.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10737
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-22-2019 at 02:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The only way Carrillo could be better was if his first name was Royberto. And he came with a wacky East Indian sidekick. And had a wild obsession with a loser-days Becky Lynch.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8909
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 10-22-2019 at 02:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I swear if you just summoned him.....I will find you. I will hunt you.

Don't Mess With Texas

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-22-2019 at 02:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, that makes some sense.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3142
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-22-2019 at 03:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was a solid night of professional wrestling if I conveniently forget about Rusev. Eh, whatever. The Street Profits are fantastic.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4376
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-22-2019 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually a very nice show, I thought.

Good pacing, good action, common sense nudging on stories.... the stuff of sustainable episodic TV.

I especially appreciated that Cain showed up and did stuff (necessary to set him up as a more regular performer down the line), and that the precursor for it involved Shelton cutting a pretty great promo setting up his future role as a Lesnar/Heyman-surrogate.

I'll even be generous and call the "obvious punt" of the "Seth burned it down" story an "artistic win," instead. As insultingly, eye-rollingly dumb as the end of last week's RAW was, Seth just bailed on the interview in which he was supposed to "splain himself" to invent a whole better thing with Humberto "the Dragon" Steambrillo (who could not stay a heel if he wanted to).... and then, 10 minutes after that match, they just casually revealed that the Funhouse is already rebuilt (it is the Ramblin' Rabbit of domiciles!), and it will return on Friday's SD. PRETEND LAST WEEK DIDN'T HAPPEN~!!!

I will say that the main event was dangerously close to "milking the he-goat" territory. You just shouldn't over-hype something and then deliver something most fans could guess at. In this case, by the time the main event went on and they turned the Mystery Partner into a whole big deal, the math was basically down to 3 things: (1 & 2) Kevin Owens or Samoa Joe, because of the "hates AJ Styles as much as we do" mention or (3) Edge, because he's the only giant surprise bullet WWE has available at this point.

KO is good, though. Probably not big enough to move the needle with the casual type fan. Hell, DEFINITELY not big enough to do that. But plenty to make me happy to end the show, which isn't nothing.

Least involvement of the women's roster in, ummm, ever, amirite? I am pretty sure I'm right, unless you count Lana. Which you shouldn't, given current storylines. Ahhhhhhhh, Saudi Arabia, the totally progressive gift that keeps on telling you it is giving but is still actually a horrible repressive place where you don't matter unless you are a rich dude!!!!! Be a star!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3142
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-22-2019 at 03:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah ... I was just wondering if all the woman got a vacation. Not a big deal. I’m kind of enjoying each show these days not forcing everyone onto each episode.

I also like the night of “showcase” matches where we all knew who would win but the match ups were fresh and a lot of guys “won” in defeat. Good show. Less is more.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10737
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-22-2019 at 04:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
I swear if you just summoned him.....I will find you. I will hunt you.

meh heh heh heh heh

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7587
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-22-2019 at 04:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo

Ha, I thought I was going to be the only one to catch that reference.

And call me crazy, but I think that if they continue to push Aleister Black properly, he could be a potential Rumble winner in January. I even started to get way ahead of myself while watching tonight and was fantasy booking Seth Rollins turning heel and Rollins/Black being the Universal title match at WrestleMania next year (which of course has about a .01% chance of happening I'm sure).

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3142
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-22-2019 at 05:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo

Ha, I thought I was going to be the only one to catch that reference.

And call me crazy, but I think that if they continue to push Aleister Black properly, he could be a potential Rumble winner in January. I even started to get way ahead of myself while watching tonight and was fantasy booking Seth Rollins turning heel and Rollins/Black being the Universal title match at WrestleMania next year (which of course has about a .01% chance of happening I'm sure).

Kofi is winning the Royal Rumble. It is written.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-22-2019 at 08:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I knew I recognized that quote from Dio.

Fun episode, just wish that Rusev/Lesley shit would go away, though.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1651
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 10-22-2019 at 11:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
The only way Carrillo could be better was if his first name was Royberto. And he came with a wacky East Indian sidekick. And had a wild obsession with a loser-days Becky Lynch.

I was only half paying attention at one point when the commentators said he'd be facing Seth Rollins later, and I heard his name as "Alberto Del Rio," which was very confusing.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top