The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown on FOX (October 18, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4345
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-18-2019 at 10:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown on FOX (October 18, 2019)

Tonight on SmackDown: WWE looks to steady what appears to be a downward ratings trend since "Premiere Week" (all of 2 weeks ago), but unexpectedly has to do so against playoff baseball (the ALCS lost a day due to a rain-out, so the Yankees and Astros are playing tonight, which means FS1 will almost certainly outdraw the main FOX Network, and that ain't a pretty picture for WWE)...

As of this writing, the biggest drawing card tonight is Roman Reigns getting a shot at Shinsuke Nakamura's IC Title.... sadly, it seems like fait accompli at this point: Roman wins, and becomes SD's top singles act on a week-in, week-out basis, so long as the WWE Title is with Part Timer Brock Lesnar....

Two other pre-announced matches: a #1 Contender Match for Bayley's SD Women's Title (Carmella vs. Nikki Cross vs. Sonya Deville vs. Mandy Rose vs. Lacey Evans vs. Dana Brooke).... and a "preview" of the "biggest tag team turmoil ever" (taking place in "We'd rather you not keep saying Saudi Arabia"), as 4 teams take up sides for an 8-man tag match (New Day and Heavy Machinery vs. the Revival and Roode/Ziggler)...

Additionally, the aforementioned Bayley will be the guest on Miz TV, where she will have a chance to explain her turn to the dark side...

Seems awfully thin to me, but while WWE benefits from pre-announcing as much big stuff as they can when it comes to pleasing the FOX Overlords (you get ratings from people tuning in and expecting things, not from people hearing about cool stuff after it happens as a surprise), they might have a trick or two up their sleeves.... the one thing that seems like an obvious place to do some constructive storytelling would be on the Team Hogan vs. Team Flair match coming up in Saudi Arabia.... Hogan's team captain (WWEU Champ Seth Rollins) was pulled from the match in favor of a title defense against Bray Wyatt, so the Hulkster is especially in need of a big move.... piecing together rumors, it would not be crazy to expect him to reveal Edge as Rollins' replacement...

And that, my friends, would certainly spice up an otherwise bland Friday of the New York Yankees of Baseball losing ignominiously, while the New York Yankees of Wrestling wins the IC Title while 75% of the audience yawns...

WWE also opted to just completely punt on the idea of a "major trade" earlier this week, so if they brought that back, it could be a bit of a twist for tonight's show...

That is all. End communication...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6067
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Ethiopian Chicken

posted on 10-19-2019 at 01:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No way, Nekkeh FTW! Damn fine Ladyscrum there!

I'm slowly warming to all things AEW and it's taking some time because as An Old Person new things frighten me and generally aren't as good as The Old Days, but it's clear that their glaring weak spot compared to WWE/NXT is their Women's Division. Good luck to 'em though.

Also, can't say I'm happy about Gulak getting those hands, I'm happy to see him and his powerpoints on the mainstage.

ETA: A D-Bry and Roman team isn't something I thought I needed, but I did. Sometimes it be like that. Also, it's lovely to have D-Bry at least face-ish agayn.

Also2, I didn't know so many of you hated wrasslin' now.

[Edited on 10-19-2019 by janerd75]

Janny 11:19 says 11:19 doesn't mean diddly dick.

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1336
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-19-2019 at 02:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I completely forgot about SD, so there's my excuse. But the cautious excitement of the recent "premiere" stuff quickly wore off, so I'm basically back to "meh."

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7808
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-19-2019 at 02:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All things women were good. Miz is awesome and Bayleyís heel turn has been handled 1000 times better than Beckys.

The 8 man was fun, and I like the hint of maybe Kofi isnít doing ok.

I donít care about Corbin.

Shorty G is dumb, but if it means he gets a mini push so be it.

Also...can we skip ahead past Blood Money Boogie? I mean we are likely getting more Brock vs Roman....but still.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-19-2019 at 02:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wasn't sure if Smackdown would be worth the time or not. Then I saw a headline on 411 that read, "Chad Gable renamed Shorty G on Smackdown" and realized the answer was-- nope.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7565
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-19-2019 at 05:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In addition to Shorty G being an absolutely horrendous name, I don't get why Gable is being singled out for his height. There's only been, what, hundreds of other wrestlers in WWE history who are Gable's height or shorter? It's not like Chad Gable is some odd anomaly on the WWE roster.

Other than that, I thought all of the in-ring stuff on tonight's show was solid and the Miz segment with Bayley and Sasha was good too.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3256
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-19-2019 at 06:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is "Shorty G" trying to be like Scotty 2 Hotty? Or, like.... are they not even bothering to do anything mildly funny with the gimmick and just gimping the poor dude's career for the forseeable future?
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2454
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-19-2019 at 06:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm kind of half-skimming WWE post-draft at least until Crown Jewel is over because I just can't fucking care about anything happening there. But I did end up watching cause it's Friday and I'm a middle-aged man with nothing better to do.

Nikki as #1 contender makes me happy, although she's clearly just fodder to built up Bayley's heel turn.

Man, the new stage really does look great. Even Dana Brooke looked like a star coming out.

Bayley's new music is good, but a bit generic. It needs something, just not sure what. She cut a good promo. Her eye make-up is jacked.

Shorty G will only work for me if he starts wearing backwards caps and goes full hip-hop dork.

Oh, and fuck Hulk Hogan.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 754
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-19-2019 at 06:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought Hogan said that there was big news atvhe end of the show concerning who his team captain would be and then nothing. Is it next week that heíll say something? Did I just miss it?

Some good in ring stuff but I just donít care about anybody on this roster that much. If I have to stop watching one of RAW/AEW/NXT/Smackdown because thereís just too much of this stuff these days itíll be Smackdown and I donít even have to think twice about it.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2454
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 10-19-2019 at 09:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
I thought Hogan said that there was big news atvhe end of the show concerning who his team captain would be and then nothing. Is it next week that heíll say something? Did I just miss it?

They announced Roman as the new captain of Team Hogan during the ring announcements for the main event tag.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10662
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-19-2019 at 03:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
Also2, I didn't know so many of you hated wrasslin' now.

I was sleeping. Again. I vaguely remember Bayley yapping at Miz then I passed out in the recliner for almost six straight hours. Then I got up and went to bed.

The new schedule for WWE is messing me up. Just got used to SD on Thursdays then they moved it to Tuesday. Got used to Tuesdays then they moved it to Fridays. It's as much of a pain as trying to adjust to rotating shift work. Too much for the addled old white guy brain to accustom itself to it would seem. Halp me!

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 754
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-19-2019 at 06:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
quote:

They announced Roman as the new captain of Team Hogan during the ring announcements for the main event tag.

Ahhh, ok. Figured itíd be either him or DB.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10662
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-19-2019 at 06:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm hoping that DB pulls a swerve on Roman. Goes full eco-knob heel on him and beats him up with a chair after revealing that Roman drives around in a full-stocked diesel-burning Ford Raptor with the catalytic converter removed.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1787
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 10-19-2019 at 07:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was one of the first to comment on the Chad Gable name change. I refuse to go with it, because again it shows the hypocrisy of the WWE.....be star not a bully...my ass!!

The production value of Smackdown as a show has improved with their move to Fox. It's very slick in every way. But from every other standpoint, it's business as usual. Nothing else really seems to have improved, with few exceptions.

The Bayley heel turn is one of those exceptions and has been a breathe of fresh air. She handled herself very well during the Miz interview. Looking forward to how her new character grows and develops.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2454
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 10-19-2019 at 08:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Ahhh, ok. Figured itíd be either him or DB.

DB doesn't do the Saudia Arabia shows, I don't think. Ditto KO and Sami.

I think they're going to stretch Bryan turning on Roman until at least the Rumble. I feel like that's a Mania program they're building towards.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 754
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-19-2019 at 10:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
^^^I know Sami doesnít because of heritage but good on KO and DB. I wouldnít go either, nor will I watch. Watched the first one and felt icky.....not again.
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9468
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-19-2019 at 10:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think it sucks that they've turned DB back face. The lackluster "yes's" he was getting from the crowd during the match last night highlight the exact reason his heel turn was so perfectly timed. Now he's back as the not-nearly-as-over-as-he-once-was babyface he was pre-heel-turn.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top