The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (October 16, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4339
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-16-2019 at 11:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (October 16, 2019)

AEW vs. NXT SNAPSHOT
AEW Weekly Viewership Wins: 2
NXT Weekly Viewership Wins: 0
Current Streak: AEW 2 week winning streak
Average Total Combined Weekly Audience (including replays/streaming): N/A (hopefully I will be able to find a reliable source for these figures in the near future)

LAST WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT
Live Viewership: AEW 1.1 million > NXT 800,000
Total Viewership (including replays and streaming): N/A (ditto)
Which Show Was Better in OOur Expert OOpinion: NXT, by split decision.
Micronalysis: AEW came out strong with an amazing tag match and a hot promo from Jericho, but NXT is spot-on from top to bottom without the periodic misfires (AEW's women's division is a mess, and sometimes, commentary is, uhhhh, not good).

THIS WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT

As NXT appears comfortable to settle in for Sustainable Episodic Television, AEW takes a huge swing tonight, with two main event caliber matches featuring their two most marketable WWE alumni. With no baseball providing competition, it will be interesting to see how that affects ratings, after last week saw a significant drop for wrestling, overall.

Chris Jericho will defend the AEW Title against Darby Allin; as a side attraction, Jericho is promising to bring his NJPW gimmick ("the Painmaker") to AEW for the first time.

Dean Ambrose and Neville -- or Jon Moxley and PAC -- will team up to face Kenny Omega and Adam Page in another feature bout.

Two more tag title tourney matches, as well. And Riho defends the AEW Women's Title against Britt Baker, but honestly, the less said about AEW's women's division, the better, at this point.

Meantime, NXT's top two matches have a bit less sizzle, but should both be quite good in two entirely different ways.

The always outstanding Pete Dunne will face his new nemesis Damien Priest (the former Punishment Martinez), who is having his first major NXT match since hype and vignettes aired throughout the summer.

And at the other end of the aesthetic spectrum, it's slobberknocker time when Keith Lee faces Dominik Dijakovic. The story here is that these two thoroughbreds (also, hosses) have split a pair of decisions, so this is the rubber match.

NXT is also promising Tomasso Ciampa's first in-ring action since neck surgery took him down this past winter; Ciampa has already made eyes at "Goldy" currently held by Adam Cole.... and Teagan Nox returns after an even longer injury layoff; along with her bestie Dakota Kai, Rhea Ripley, and Bianca Belaire, Nox is among those trying to earn a shot against Shayna Baszler as the NXT Women's Division continues to respawn no matter how many women they send up to the main roster...

That is all. End communication.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-16-2019 at 11:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iíll give TNT credit. Having a random Avengers movie on directly before AEW is a better lead in to wrestling than anything USA has ever done.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why the hell can JR not call him just Jungle Boy? It's always "Jungle Jack" or "Jungle Jack Perry". He managed a "Jungle Boy Jack Perry". This match is also really fun and I kind of love tiny Marko Stunt.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iíve never really watched a regular Kenny Omega match on live TV.

That guy is ridiculously talented.

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by DKBroiler]

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
DOUBLE-MIDDLE FINGERS! KICK!!! WHAM!!! (NOT A) STUNNER!!!

BAH GAWD! THE MOXLEYSNAKE! HE JUST DESTROYED HIS OWN PARTNER!

Ahhhh, the Good Ol' JR days.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Why the hell can JR not call him just Jungle Boy? It's always "Jungle Jack" or "Jungle Jack Perry". He managed a "Jungle Boy Jack Perry". This match is also really fun and I kind of love tiny Marko Stunt.

As someone who has no idea who these guys are, I kind of appreciated him doing it. When the match started I thought the small guy was jungle boy haha. Great match though. AEW is unexpectedly my jam.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like that a person has a giant Ted Turner head.

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Darby Allin was using one of Jericho's 1004 holds against him. The ArmBAR!

(Man, AEW makes me remember all the good old running gags. I think I like this place.)

"At this point Brock is so bulletproof, they could fucking crucify him and he would kick out before the third day." -- ulsterphil

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-17-2019 at 01:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Convenient tonight, we can enjoy both NXT and AEW at the SAME TIME. Just look at the guy in the crowd with the Adam Cole shirt, and VOILA.

Edit: Also, I'd really like to see Allin pull off some hands-behind-his-back skateboard offense.

Edit II: Fun end to that Dunne/Priest match. Although I'm still confused on Priest's character. He's a Satanist archery enthusiast? Or something? It works! Also nice in that I never watched much RoH when he was there, so now I can catch him doing NXT stuff. At least when I'm not watching AEW.

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by Il Palazzo]

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2737
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 10-17-2019 at 02:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Darby Allin is definitely the winner of the first month of AEW. He is going to be huge assuming he stays healthy.

OO's only mammal penguin

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 748
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2019 at 06:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with NXT but AEW just seems a step ahead. From the hot European style crowds to not knowing certain guys who ust become instantly likable to known guys like PAC/Omega/Lucha Bros/Jericho putting in work.... Even the woman's match was pretty good this week. I canít think of a single thing that I didnít care for.

But JR went from ďmeh, heís just not good anymore but whateverĒ to ďyeah, heís gotta go.Ē

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by CVD39]

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9464
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2019 at 02:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe it's the combined powers of Tony and Excalibur overpowering him, but JR really hasn't annoyed me as much as others. Maybe it's just that hearing his voice during the "glory days" of the late 90's and early '00s has bought him a pass from me. Like your grandpa singing you a lullaby!

AEW continues to be thoroughly enjoyable from my viewpoint. The show just flies by! I was watching last night and looked at the clock and was surprised an hour had already gone by.

My one minor complaint - I'm not a Vince McMahon "I LOVE BIG GUYS!!" type by any means but Jesus - Can they fit more wrestlers on a show that look like they weigh approx. 110 lbs?! Goon and I were discussing how Riho is just too small to even look like a credible threat to anyone with an ounce of muscle and/or size (although the live crowd sure loves her) and then you have the Lucha Bros. selling for a guy who's about 4'3'' and 93 lbs.! I will say that was proof of just how damn good the Lucha Bros. are in that they were selling like pros out there.

Fantastic show and I was enjoying the mindfuck of seeing "Neville" and "Dean Ambrose" in front of a huge crowd in a non-WWE ring against Omega and Hangman. If you had told me that scenario would be happening two years ago, I would've asked what you were smoking.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4022
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 10-17-2019 at 03:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how Pac being the guy who cares about wins and losses makes him an asshole.
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-17-2019 at 03:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iíll give AEW a slight win because I enjoyed Jerichoís antics at the end of the main event. #ALittleBitOfTheBubly

Imperium vs Burch & Lorcan was very nice. Liked the Hoss fest between Dominik Dijakovic and Keith Lee. NXT womenís division is great. Not sure about Priest. He looks like either a star...or a better version of Corbin.

SCU vs Best Friends was good. Is Riho or Baker really the best women not signed to WWE, IMPACT, NJPW or ROH? Lucha Bros should have squashed the Luchasaurus less Jurassic Express. Page isnít on the level of Omega, PAC, or Moxley. Also...how exactly is Moxley doing anything different from his Ambrose days? Wearing tights? I did like PAC wanting to keep his record strong and stopping the DQ to get attacked by Moxley.

And why the hell couldnít Jericho go over clean?

Personal highlight of the night was Ciampa looking healthy.

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by bigfatgoalie]

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-17-2019 at 03:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Double post.

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by bigfatgoalie]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-17-2019 at 03:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Jericho not winning cleanly will be a THING for a while. Few are noticing it but 2019 AEW Jericho is the closest thing weíve ever had to 1999 Hollywood Hogan. People love to retcon that WCW Hogan sucked but he was a master level heel and basically never won cleanly. I expect Jericho to be nefariously undefeated for a long while to come and Iím good with it. I think the longer they keep the title on Jericho the better it will be for everyone in the long run even if he is just a cheating asshole who canít win fair like NWO Hogan.

As for JR I think there is an age divide. Iím 38 and very much enjoy his jumbled old man nonsense. I bet it I was 22 Iíd think he was the drizzling shits. One of the best parts of AEW is they have just enough of the old guys so people like me arenít lost.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8291
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-17-2019 at 03:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm 39 and think that JR is hot garbage who should've gone away long ago. Same with Lawler.

Agreed with Gooker about AEW flying by. It's crazy how far Raw has fallen, at least for me personally. I watch that show on heavy FF, and it's still a boring chore to get through. I didn't fast forward Dynamite once, and was entertained the entire time.

And now the same thing is happening to Smackdown since the Fox move, which is just sad. It's nuts... with AEW and NXT, Wednesday is the new wrestling night.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8886
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 10-17-2019 at 04:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie

Personal highlight of the night was Ciampa looking healthy.

This. I'm super intrigued about the title situation and where they go with Balor and/or Ciampa as 'next'.

Enjoyed NXT last night as always. Fewer 'big moments' than past couple weeks but that was known coming into it. They put on a quality show end to end.

As far as Raw and SD go.....with the draft behind us and each roster stable and self sufficient, I view now as the reset button on where things go. I fully anticipate Raw to still be a chore to get through. My hope for SD is that it gets back to being high quality now that they don't have to deal with Raw storyline continuation etc.

Don't Mess With Texas

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-17-2019 at 04:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
I'm 39 and think that JR is hot garbage who should've gone away long ago. Same with Lawler.

Agreed with Gooker about AEW flying by. It's crazy how far Raw has fallen, at least for me personally. I watch that show on heavy FF, and it's still a boring chore to get through. I didn't fast forward Dynamite once, and was entertained the entire time.

And now the same thing is happening to Smackdown since the Fox move, which is just sad. It's nuts... with AEW and NXT, Wednesday is the new wrestling night.

Iím 100% with you on Lawler.

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1785
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 10-17-2019 at 05:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Both shows were entertaining once again. Have to give the edge to AEW. NXT is as consistent as a wrestling show can get, but AEW seems to have that extra something. Both the main events were good, but seeing Darby Allin turning into a star in front of our very eyes was good to see. Character development is the only weakness I see in AEW, aside from the play by play guy wearing the cowboy hat. But that will come in time. I'd rather see two hours of straight wrestling, then a bunch of backstage promos any day!

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1964
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2019 at 05:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe itís still the novelty factor but I find myself watching AEW straight through and almost never feeling tempted to switch channels. Even with NXT still doing strong shows Iíve been perfectly content to read a recap afterward and catch whatever parts I want to see on demand later.

I donít get what anyone sees in Marko Stunt. It isnít even just that heís small, heís so incredibly small and scrawny and unthreatening that it just isnít believable for anyone to sell for him, and if anything it detracts from Jungle Boy and Luchasaurusí team (which has been one of the truly unexpected pleasures for me thus far in AEW) to have this weird little dweeb running around them all the time. Sadly, read this morning that they think Luchasaurus may have a torn hamstring, so this could be the act for a while.

On the other side, I guess the opening angle makes it inevitable that weíre getting the Lucha Bros vs SCU in the tournament final?

Also popped for the Ted Turner head in the crowd.

The womenís division is a bit of a mess. Iím not totally sure what the solution is but it feels very directionless at the moment. Maybe itís a problem of not have any established names to anchor the division in the early going? They used people like Kong, Jazz, even Mercedes Martinez on the PPV battle royal, but the title picture so far has been all about Riho, Nyla Rose and Britt Baker. And while all three of those seem to have something to offer, none of them feel like franchise players at the moment.

Mox/PAC vs Omega/Page was a lot of fun, as was Jericho/Allin. Love the Inner Circle stable. Eventually weíre going to get some massive IC vs Elite match in a Legally-Different-Enough-From-WarGames-But-Basically-WarGames type match and itís going to kick all kinds of ass.

Dynamite and NWA Power I think are my two favorite wrestling shows at the moment.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-17-2019 at 05:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have to assume that Private Party beats the Lucha Bros due to SCU interference next week. That ramp pile driver isnít something that they should just brush off. I gotta assume Daniels is out for blood.

That can set up a Lucha Bros vs SCU PPV match and let the titles be put on the high upside new guys who could use them. Have I mentioned that Private Party is fucking awesome? Cause Private Party is fucking awesome.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4022
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 10-17-2019 at 06:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's harsh to say because the current crop is trying their best but I think the best fix for the women's division is to break out the wallet and bring in more established names to anchor it. Cheerleader Melissa and Ivelisse don't seem to be tied down to any big players right now and they could immediately elevate the division.

I can tolerate Marko Stunt against mid-sized guys like the Lucha Bros sort of like how Spike Dudley could sometimes get some offense on big guys but that match should have been shorter.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 748
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2019 at 06:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
I have to assume that Private Party beats the Lucha Bros due to SCU interference next week. That ramp pile driver isnít something that they should just brush off. I gotta assume Daniels is out for blood.

That can set up a Lucha Bros vs SCU PPV match and let the titles be put on the high upside new guys who could use them. Have I mentioned that Private Party is fucking awesome? Cause Private Party is fucking awesome.

Private is, in fact, awesome.

And I hadnít seen a pile driver that horrific since Owen/Austin. Danielís head bounced off the ramp. Brutal.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9464
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2019 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Not sure about Priest. He looks like either a star...or a better version of Corbin.

The last part of the main event was the only part of NXT I caught and this is basically my thought on Priest, having just watched him for the first time. He's definitely got the skills and did a great job hanging with Dunne but something just seemed...missing. Charisma, maybe?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top