The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NWA Powerrr
bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2019 at 06:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't think Jim Cornette is racist in a sense that he knows it and is proud. He's more racist in a sense that he grew up in a racist culture during a racist time and think that he is more enlightened and hence has gotten rid of all racism, but it's still there underneath.

I guess I would relate this story:

My grandparents didn't think they were racist because they would occasionally have some African American that worked for Grandpa over for dinner, but they freely used "n****r" in conversation.

My parents don't think they are racist because they don't say "n****r" but they have very negative views of African Americans (mostly poverty and violence is their fault and has nothing to do with systematic racism and see most as on the take from the government).

I don't think I'm racist, but I am sure I am in some way. I'm sure my kids will be able to point out the racist things I do.

My point is progress is being made and it's not a binary system, but a spectrum. I don't think Cornette is a 10 on the racist scale, probably 3 ish with an inability to recognize it when he is.

And, as far as resigning goes, I'm sorry but I don't like him as a color commentator anyway, but more as a manager. I won't particularly miss him. Maybe Bill Watts is available if you want that old school feel. (sarcasm).

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12748
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 11-20-2019 at 06:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What he said was really stupid, and made NWA look stupid, too. But I agree with everyone here, it wasn't blatantly malicious.

He really was the perfect guy for that spot. He'll probably be back in a few weeks or months after this all blows over. Unless they find another guy even just as or even more perfect for that spot.

Or maybe he'll shoot himself in the foot by telling everyone that they're being overly sensitive.

STAY TUNED!

[Edited on 11-20-2019 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9480
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2019 at 07:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jim Cornette gonna Jim Cornette.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3088
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 11-20-2019 at 09:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cornette just resigned.
niles81
Showstopper

Posts 822
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2019 at 09:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not only did he resign - he posted this on Twitter:

My suspicion is that he was asked to apologize, refused to (because he's not the only one at fault) and then he was asked to step down. Now instead of letting this cool down - he's probably going to shoot himself in the foot in a podcast shoot.

Like said above:

quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Jim Cornette gonna Jim Cornette.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-20-2019 at 10:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The production staff, Cornette, and the NWA all seem to be so freaking out to left field.

Cornette should have never said what he said.

The production crew should have known to take it out right away. Let alone leave it from a taping that took place months ago.

And the non-apology apology “ On tonight's episode of NWA Powerr airing on November 19th 2019, one of our talents made comments which some viewers found offensive. We deeply regret the error and apologize.”? Come on.

I mean, the Lana and Lashley angle is less embarrassing.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6263
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 11-20-2019 at 11:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bopol
I don't think Jim Cornette is racist in a sense that he knows it and is proud. He's more racist in a sense that he grew up in a racist culture during a racist time and think that he is more enlightened and hence has gotten rid of all racism, but it's still there underneath.

I guess I would relate this story:

My grandparents didn't think they were racist because they would occasionally have some African American that worked for Grandpa over for dinner, but they freely used "n****r" in conversation.

My parents don't think they are racist because they don't say "n****r" but they have very negative views of African Americans (mostly poverty and violence is their fault and has nothing to do with systematic racism and see most as on the take from the government).

I don't think I'm racist, but I am sure I am in some way. I'm sure my kids will be able to point out the racist things I do.

My point is progress is being made and it's not a binary system, but a spectrum. I don't think Cornette is a 10 on the racist scale, probably 3 ish with an inability to recognize it when he is.

And, as far as resigning goes, I'm sorry but I don't like him as a color commentator anyway, but more as a manager. I won't particularly miss him. Maybe Bill Watts is available if you want that old school feel. (sarcasm).

Are those *'s in n****r supposed to be enunciated like Xhosa clicks? I guess I can give that a shot so I don't get shot because I too also have an R-Scale...

I most definitely should have a Twatter, no?

In much less racist yet other important NWA Powerrr Nooz n' Views, yes please and thank you to more Thunder Rosa. If AEW could snap her up she could absolutely make their lady division.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2500
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 11-21-2019 at 06:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fried chicken jokes have pretty much always been racist, so if he wanted it to just be a lighthearted starvation joke (SO FUNNY), he should've probably picked a less charged food.

Also, there's at least one tape circulating of Cornette dropping a repetitive number of N-bombs. I may not know what's in his heart, but I also don't give a fuck what's in his heart. Dude says racist shit, so he probably shouldn't be in the job of talking professionally for your company unless you want to be known as the company that employs the guy who says racist shit.

The podcast shit just makes it clear that he's going to monetize the controversy, as he does with all the rabble he rouses. That's his gimmick. Ironically, his whole business model is based on him being offended. He's just offended by guys doing dick suplexes or throwing dives with their hands in their pockets.

[Edited on 11-21-2019 by GodEatGod]

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 809
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-22-2019 at 08:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slick
Man, back when I was a kid we bought those "Truly Tastleless Jokes" books and they had an entire section of Ethopian jokes.

Guess times have changed ever so slightly.

Bad on Cornette for not realizing this and making the joke. Worse on NWA for not catching this joke when the show was taped what, like a month ago??

I had some of those joke books and recited some to some of my friends back in the day. Man, I cringe when I think about that. I think I owe one of my buddies an apology.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6263
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 11-23-2019 at 07:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Corny explains...

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-23-2019 at 02:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I actually agree with a lot of Cornette's points. I remember Sam Kinison's famine jokes and, for you young folks, Sam Kinision was huge. This was around the same time Cornette was working with Big Bubba Rogers, so it is a ripoff of those jokes. So, I think Cornette's explanation makes sense, but I think, as Brian said, it was at best a lame, incredibly dated joke.

I watched some old Kinison a little while ago and was a bit ashamed that I found him as funny as I did because he was incredibly offensive. I kind of wish Cornette could have a little more perspective on it, but I don't think that is programmed into his DNA.

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2002
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 11-23-2019 at 08:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think his perspective was okay. He pulled out an old joke from a time when no one thought anything wrong with jokes about Ethiopian starvation, and didn’t consider that the times have changed and that kind of stuff doesn’t really fly anymore. He acknowledged this and said he wouldn’t have had any problem if someone had told him this at the time, or even during post-production.

He didn’t like that even after it passed several sets of ears on the production end no one noticed it or thought anything wrong with it, then threw him under the bus when it aired six weeks later as if he had gone rogue on live TV. This is a fair issue to take.

He offered an apology to people who genuinely found what he said upsetting or offensive (and a legitimate apology, not an “I’m sorry you were offended” non-apology), and a big “fuck you” to all the people that drummed up a big phony outrage because they hate him for not liking Omega, the Bucks etc. Also fair.

Despite quitting (and at least to hear him say it, he did quit, it wasn’t a forced-resignation situation), he encouraged his fans to continue watching and supporting the NWA.

Hopefully down the road he gets involved with them again (though he said he won’t be back for the December PPV/tapings at least), but if not who else could be a good color commentator? Are there any other old managers/announcers out there that could bring the historical perspective of a Jim Cornette? Do you just rotate in different wrestlers who aren’t wrestling on a given taping (Cabana, Stevens, Drake, etc)?

I'm Cherokee Jack!

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-24-2019 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
Hopefully down the road he gets involved with them again (though he said he won’t be back for the December PPV/tapings at least), but if not who else could be a good color commentator? Are there any other old managers/announcers out there that could bring the historical perspective of a Jim Cornette? Do you just rotate in different wrestlers who aren’t wrestling on a given taping (Cabana, Stevens, Drake, etc)?

I'd be going for Dirty Dutch Mantel. He can tell a story on the mic and 2 days a month might work for him at this point in his life.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4111
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 11-27-2019 at 02:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does anybody know what was up with the weird promo-only episode tonight? Youtube is of course filled with people still arguing about Cornette's mess but I've seen some comments talking about the production team running out of footage and only having one real episode left before the ppv.

If so, they should have just announced that this would be an off week or it'd be a special recap episode. Kind of lame to just do it out of the blue.

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by First 9]

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2002
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 11-27-2019 at 04:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I do remember reading that they had eight episodes taped. Seven had previously aired, so it could be true that they only have one episode of fresh content left and wanted to save it, but definitely felt odd given the events of the last week. For those who haven’t watched, the show this week basically consisted of a whole lot of filler:

-an Eli Drake promo filmed at CWFH
-an Empty Arena match between Question Mark and one of the Dawsons that lasted about two minutes and never left the ring (might have been filmed over the weekend for all we know)
-a two-part documentary about Thunder Rosa’s MMA debut
-a sit-down interview with Melina
-promotion for the Into the Fire PPV

Maybe they run the remaining fresh episode next week, and then the show on Dec 10 is all PPV hype and promos? And if that’s the case, will they keep Cornette’s commentary on it or re-record with someone else (and if that’s the case, is that the reason it didn’t run today?)?

And as far as potential replacements for Cornette, Dutch is a really good idea. Is Arn Anderson under any sort of contract to AEW? If not he might be a good fit as well. Another interesting choice would be Mike Quackenbush. He’s not actually from that old school era but he has a good mind and appreciation for that style.

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by Cherokee Jack]

I'm Cherokee Jack!

salmonjunkie

Posts 12748
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-27-2019 at 05:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is Steve Corino available? He'd be a good fit as well.

After listening to Cornette's explanation, I'm going to have to agree with him on a lot of his points. His co-host nails it as far as why the joke shouldn't have been said and it seems Corny understood it when presented to him that way. Cornette even saying that "hey. if you tell me I shouldn't have said it, I won't say it" and that it went past multiple people and 6 weeks before being broadcast only for him to get all the windfall of it, I could see why it would infuriate him to the point where he walked away. And good on him for telling people to continue to support NWA Powerrrrrrr as well. Yeah, he holds on to the "it's an old joke that used to be funny" a bit more than he needed to, but he didn't say screw you if you don't think it's funny.

So Cornette Cornetted in a way I didn't expect him to Cornette.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2002
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2019 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well this is an interesting choice. In a taped bit aired at the close of tonight’s “Season Finale,” Nick Aldis revealed that the new color commentator will be none other than Stu Bennett, aka Wade “Bad News” Barrett.

I’m intrigued. Bennett knows wrestling and can certainly be entertaining on the mic. And the more I think about it, maybe it makes more sense given the circumstances to go in a different direction. You’re never going to top Cornette for the old-timer with an encyclopedic knowledge of wrestling and a connection to the old NWA, so why chase that same type of presence? Get some young blood in there that, much like Aaron Stevens, has a face and voice that even casual fans will recognize but has been away from the spotlight long enough that it doesn’t have the “WWE reject” feeling.

But a good episode to close out this run of tapings. Not a lot in the way of matches but even the promos and interviews felt relevant and important, not filler like last week. And the final image of Corny leaving the desk and jumping in the ring to celebrate with the Rock N Roll Express is about as perfect of a send-off moment as they could’ve had for him, even if it couldn’t have been planned that way.

Looking forward to the next season (hopefully they plan a little better in terms of making sure they have enough material to get them through to the next tapings), and depending on what my finances look like after Christmas shopping is all accounted for I may even spring for the PPV.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4111
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 12-18-2019 at 04:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Marty Scrull fits pretty well in the NWA and I'm assuming he's the next challenger for the NWA Title. James Storm is starting from zero and Tim Storm will probably go after the tag titles. It's amazing how possible it is that the Bullet Club could hold 4(maybe 5!) World Titles next year.

Marty in the NWA,Jay White in NJPW, Kenny or Cody in AEW, AJ or Finn for WWE's main roster and Adam Cole who's already the NXT Champion.I know there's tension from certain sides but if they managed to make it happen they need to take a group picture.

[Edited on 12-18-2019 by First 9]

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2500
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 12-19-2019 at 12:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Is Steve Corino available? He'd be a good fit as well.

Corino works in NXT as a backstage producer.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2002
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 12-23-2019 at 02:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Marty Scrull fits pretty well in the NWA and I'm assuming he's the next challenger for the NWA Title. James Storm is starting from zero and Tim Storm will probably go after the tag titles. It's amazing how possible it is that the Bullet Club could hold 4(maybe 5!) World Titles next year.
I actually think Tim Storm winning the TV title tournament could be a good way to set up a big Storm/Aldis final blowoff. I don’t know what his plans are in terms of how much longer he wants to keep wrestling, but he’s 54 years old and if he wants to finish in a big spot this could be his chance.

-Aldis talked about wanting to hold both belts simultaneously. Have Storm end up winning the tournament final at Hard Times and the TV title, perhaps even beating Aldis along the way in the tournament. Announcers can discuss how normally pinning the champ would set one up for a title shot, but per the stipulation back on Power’s first episode Storm can’t challenge for the belt.

-A few weeks later on an episode of Power, have Aldis challenge Storm for the TV title. Aldis’ posse can run interference, only to be countered by a babyface team, and in all the chaos Storm pins Aldis again.

-Aldis demands another shot, only to be turned away. In his desperation to accomplish his two-title goal, Aldis lays it all on the line: if Storm gives him one more shot at the TV title, Aldis will waive the no-title-shot stipulation against Storm for one night, but Storm must also agree to put his career on the line. And there’s your main event for the next PPV: Nick Aldis vs Tim Storm, with both the NWA TV and World Heavyweight titles on the line, as well as Tim Storm’s career. And there Aldis can finally win both titles and Storm can go out in a PPV main event setting. They can do the mutual respect thing afterwards and Storm can ride off into the sunset.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1080
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 1-22-2020 at 03:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
90-minute episode this week to lead into Hard Times, including a gauntlet battle royal and the Nick Aldis vs. Ricky Morton title match. I've been enjoying the old-school studio product.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie

Posts 12748
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 1-22-2020 at 11:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man, I gotta say, Nick Aldis has really won me over on these Power episodes. I find myself really enjoying every promo of his and how they've been developing his character.
PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1080
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 1-22-2020 at 11:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The character development is a big strong point of these shows, for the most part. People's motivations tend to make sense.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top