The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (October 9, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4339
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-9-2019 at 11:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: AEW/NXT Wednesday Night Fight (October 9, 2019)

AEW vs. NXT SNAPSHOT
AEW Weekly Viewership Wins: 1
NXT Weekly Viewership Wins: 0
Current Streak: AEW 1 week winning streak
Average Total Combined Weekly Audience (including replays/streaming): N/A (hopefully I will be able to find a reliable source for these figures in the near future)

LAST WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT
Live Viewership: AEW 1.4 million > NXT 900,000
Total Viewership (including replays and streaming): N/A (ditto)
Which Show Was Better in OOur Expert OOpinion: DRAW.
Micronalysis: Although NXT delievered a near Takeover quality card and seemed superior to AEW on a segment by segment basis, the mere spectacle of the new kids on the block sticking the landing for their coming-out party was satisfying in its own way.

THIS WEEK'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHT

I'll endeavor to maintain this format as long as there is adequate discussion to justify this as a fresh thread every week. I'm really hoping that we are able to track more relevant figures than the overnight live-only audience, too.

Special word of warning: AEW appears as though it may be pre-empted mid-show on TNT. If the early National League Division Series game runs long, TBS will stick with it until it is done, and air the late game on TNT starting at 8:30pm (eastern). AEW would return to TNT after the early baseball game concludes. In the meantime, fans need not worry, because TruTV will be simulcasting the entirety of the live AEW broadcast, and TNT will also air the full replay as they did last week. [And depending on how your on-screen guide/DVR work, be aware that USA is allotting 10 minutes for NXT to run-over past 10pm, and adjust accordingly.]

AEW will follow up on last week's big 10-man show-closing brawl with a tag team main event featuring 4 of those participants: Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara will take on Dustin Rhodes and Adam Page. I'd wager heavily that Jake/Jack Hager/Swagger, LAX, Cody Rhodes, and the Bucks won't be too far behind.

Also: Jon Moxley's first in-ring competition on free TV as something other than Dean Ambrose, as he takes on "Not Tye Dillenger" Shawn Spears... first round action in a tournament to crown new tag champs, with the Young Bucks vs. Private Party... and Darby Allin vs. Jimmy Havoc, with a future AEW Title Shot apparently up for grabs...

NXT will be a comparatively lower key show compared to last week's stellar effort... the leader of Imperium, WALTER, will attempt to snuff out his nemesis du jour, KUSHIDA, in the likely main event of the evening... Tyler Breeze and Fandango had KUSHIDA's back in the past (even scoring a win over the other members of Imperium in a 6-man match), so plenty of moving pieces...

We also have two other confirmed matches: a Cruiserweight Title defense by Drew Gulak, against Lio Rush ("205 Live" is going by the wayside, and the cruisers will be melded into NXT), and Undisputed Era's North American Champ Roderick Strong is in non-title action against Isaiah Scott...

Beyond that, WWE is promising vague advancement regarding fresh challengers to Adam Cole and Shayna Baszler, as well as another appearance by Finn Balor to explain his return to NXT... in the case of Cole, Tomasso Ciampa seems like he called dibs.... in the case of Baszler, it could be the heavily hyped return of Dakota Kai that fills a void (but it should also be noted that the Very Outstanding Toni Storm has officially moved from NXT UK to NXT Prime)... all the while, keep in mind that the next TakeOver is WarGames, which means established groups like Undisputed Era and Imperium (and perhaps even the MMA Horsewomen, if they add a 2nd women's match inside the double cage) will be seeing makeshift alliances coming together to oppose them...

That's all I got for now. Maybe you could all be dears and try to give a 1 to 10 rating for the shows, so I can be a bit more scientific when pulling the "expert OOpinion" out of my ass in the header summary? Thanks. End communication.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10651
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-9-2019 at 11:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Any word on when Rhea "Sexy Beast" Ripley will be making another appearance, Ricky? That feud she's trying to initiate with Bazler has win written all over it.
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7933
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 10-9-2019 at 11:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Who in their right mind thought last week was a draw? Takeover won every 15 minute segment in quality. I'd go so far as to say the best AEW segment wasn't as good as the worse NXT segment. NXT felt like the premiere episode and AEW felt like week 15 of their show with a main event filled with WWE midcarders. I get they won the ratings...but in no way did they even come close to quality.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 10-9-2019 at 11:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hard not to see Balor's move to NXT as anything except a demotion. Perhaps as time passes, the gravitas of the show will change, but right now it bums me out.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Private Party is my new favorite tag team!

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was some damn fine tag team wrestling!

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks like Lio's confirmed out of the doghouse now. Primo crusier match there.

What is this "Private Party" you speak of, DK? Did you get into huffin' the paint supplies agayn?

ETA: Rhea's all that and then some.

[Edited on 10-10-2019 by janerd75]

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know we all love us some Chris Jericho, but the fans completely derailed his attempt to heel it up in that promo.
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks like Breezango has moved from being cops to construction workers. Are they going to wind up portraying all of the Village People?
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1628
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoveMuscle
Looks like Breezango has moved from being cops to construction workers. Are they going to wind up portraying all of the Village People?

Ooh, I'm not looking forward to the way WWE handles the Native American gimmick.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A hard choice now. AEW still has the feel of a shiny new toy, but NXT is providing the first match I've seen Breezango in in a long time where it felt like it wasn't a guarantee they'd lose. Except they lost while I was typing that. But still! I think Breeze had more offense in this match than he'd had on any number of losing efforts on RAM in the past year.

Edit: AEW also earns some bonus points for not having me be reminded that Temptation Island is a thing that exists during commercial breaks.

[Edited on 10-10-2019 by Il Palazzo]

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7933
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I know we all love us some Chris Jericho

We do?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 10-10-2019 at 12:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well anytime I try to say anything about him other than he's awesome I get shouted down.

EDIT: I think AEW would benefit from having some squash matches like we just had on NXT.

[Edited on 10-10-2019 by LoveMuscle]

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-10-2019 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey gang! 'Member last week, when I said I thought AEW DynoMIIIIIITE was fun enough that I'd set the good ol' DVR to record it this week?

Yeah, well, I forgot. My brain is useless sometimes.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-10-2019 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, it does still seem to be re-airing immediately after, if that helps any.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-10-2019 at 01:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can only obtain the TSN. They never do re-airings, as far as I know.

"At this point Brock is so bulletproof, they could fucking crucify him and he would kick out before the third day." -- ulsterphil

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-10-2019 at 01:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Write them a sternly worded letter!

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9464
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2019 at 01:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
quote:
I know we all love us some Chris Jericho

We do?

Well his promo was fucking molten so if you're not into that, sorry. He is such a master at manipulating the crowd at this point. Crowd starts chanting "We! The People!" when he introduces Jake Hager to which he responds "We! The People! Is dead and buried! It was a stupid idea done by bad creative so it's gone!" Crowd: "OOOOOOHHHH!!!!! AEW! AEW! AEW!"

I think that was one of my favorite Jericho promos of all-time actually. Too many bright spots to share. Like him saying "He made my list!" (to massive crowd pop) each time he introduced a new member of the Inner Circle. And his sneaky "Viva La Raza" comment on Eddie's birthday to which the smart crowd started chanting "Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!"

I haven't watched a second of NXT since AEW started. This is like my wrestling antidote.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-10-2019 at 02:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I did AEW this week and will watch NXT on the network tomorrow. I thought Dynamite was a pretty fun show. Nothing earth-shattering, but very solid, went by quickly. I love having Schiavone back on commentary. They don't need JR there, but maybe he'll be phased out with time. Jericho's world champion act is excellent, of course. I'm still not entirely buying into Jake Hager yet (and it was cracking me up how Jericho kept calling him Hagar because he's too used to being around hair metal guys).

Upsides: Private Party, Darby Allin, Sammy Guevara all seem pretty great. Moxley, Dustin and PAC bring a little bit more gravitas to the situation and are clearly the wily veterans around the place. Cody looks great in a suit and is hugely over, even if I find the idea of him as a babyface with that character a little mystifying.

Downsides: Darby and Jimmy Havoc had a pretty good match, but seem a little like the same guy. Shawn Spears. Jake Hager's polo shirts. And I just don't like the Young Bucks.

Unsure: MJF. He does a lot of little things well. I like that his loyalty is to Cody and not the Elite in general, shown when he shoved off one of the Bucks when they tried to pat him on the back. This attempt to do a heel character who is superfriends with the top face is odd, but I like that they're going to keep expecting him to turn and then he doesn't so when he finally does it'll feel satisfying instead of obvious. But I still find his general, overall act a little stale and kind of more obnoxious than entertaining.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10651
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-10-2019 at 02:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker

I haven't watched a second of NXT since AEW started. This is like my wrestling antidote.

Jericho can do no wrong, promo-wise, ever. It's quite impossible.

AEW's women's div is very unimpressive. That women's tag match was dismal. Came off as poorly as TNA's were when all the original Knockouts had left due to budget cuts/the Hogan-era fuckery and long before the likes of Rosemary or Tessa Blanchard came along to give them a brief resurrection. Highly doubtful that WWE or NXT will be seeing any sort of threat from the AEW women for the foreseeable future.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-10-2019 at 03:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot

AEW's women's div is very unimpressive. That women's tag match was dismal. Came off as poorly as TNA's were when all the original Knockouts had left due to budget cuts/the Hogan-era fuckery and long before the likes of Rosemary or Tessa Blanchard came along to give them a brief resurrection. Highly doubtful that WWE or NXT will be seeing any sort of threat from the AEW women for the foreseeable future.

100% agree. Nobody in the women's division really has a ton of charisma or seems like a big star. Bea Priestley has potential, but she's not quite there yet. Riho's cute and good in the ring, but doesn't have much star power. Britt Baker and Allie are...just not that good. Brandy's a great personality with no wrestling ability. Kong is in her twilight. And I'm not going to re-litigate the Nyla stuff, but obviously she's a divisive figure that would be hard to have as the top star.

Tessa would obviously be the gold standard, must get star. Not sure how long her Impact contract is.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7559
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2019 at 03:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Two thoughts while flipping between shows tonight:

One, I think NXT definitely has the better in-ring product. Stuff like the Strong/Scott match vs Moxley/Spears (which is a matchup I really wouldn't have even cared about a year ago in WWE) or WALTER/Kushida beating the crap out of each other in the main event of NXT vs 49 year-old Jericho and 50 year-old Dustin in the main event of AEW...I just find NXT's roster and in-ring action more appealing.

Two, I feel like NXT and AEW are almost in reverse roles of what we thought they would be. Even though AEW is billed as an alternative to WWE, I think it would be way more appealing to casual fans and/or former WWE fans (with guys like Jericho, the former Goldust, the former Jack Swagger, JR/Schiavone on commentary, etc) when compared to NXT. Like, if I had to show both shows to some of my friends who haven't watched wrestling in over ten years, I feel like they'd get a bigger kick out of AEW and seeing guys like Jericho and JR still on TV, rather than NXT, where their reaction would probably be "who the fuck are WALTER and Kushida?"

quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Unsure: MJF. He does a lot of little things well. I like that his loyalty is to Cody and not the Elite in general, shown when he shoved off one of the Bucks when they tried to pat him on the back. This attempt to do a heel character who is superfriends with the top face is odd, but I like that they're going to keep expecting him to turn and then he doesn't so when he finally does it'll feel satisfying instead of obvious. But I still find his general, overall act a little stale and kind of more obnoxious than entertaining.

I mentioned in last week's thread that I don't really get all the MJF hype. He plays an excellent asshole heel, but it's not like that's anything new or groundbreaking in the world of professional wrestling. I dunno, I just don't look at him and think "that guy is the future of the business!" like I've seen some people comment around the Internet.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10651
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-10-2019 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod

100% agree. Nobody in the women's division really has a ton of charisma or seems like a big star. Bea Priestley has potential, but she's not quite there yet. Riho's cute and good in the ring, but doesn't have much star power. Britt Baker and Allie are...just not that good. Brandy's a great personality with no wrestling ability. Kong is in her twilight. And I'm not going to re-litigate the Nyla stuff, but obviously she's a divisive figure that would be hard to have as the top star.

Tessa would obviously be the gold standard, must get star. Not sure how long her Impact contract is.

Too bad Sexy Star destroyed her career last year went she hurt Rosemary on purpose because she really did have the look and enough skill to be the female anchor of a new company, just like she did for the women's div at Lucha Underground. Gotta give AEW a bit of a break though for something that's really beyond their control at the moment, given the way that WWE has so many of the women from the independent ranks locked up in developmental contracts. This could be a truly foreboding sign that WWE's tactics with the contracts will really hurt AEW as time passes, considering that the big company has as many of the potentially breakout male stars also in their possession as they obviously do with the female ones.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-10-2019 at 04:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Bucks match getting the mega produced setup....but not giving the number #1 contenders match the same treatment? Lame. Happy for the upset.

The women’s match was FF’d.

Havoc and Darby was...ok. They were more fun with weapons and Tom foolery. And as I said in the rumour thread, neither is an actual World Title threat. I still see potential in Darby, again, no need for the match with Jericho.

Ambrose vs Dillinger was a typical WWE tv match with the stupidity of Tully and the announcers handling of it. Like seriously, the Tully stuff made Spear look super soft. Like softer than Dary’s birthday party soft.

PAC is great. Omega...was there.

Sammy, Page, and Dustin in a main event in 2019? Sure.

Jericho = awesome.

No Luchasaurus or Lucha Bros kind of sucked.

The King is more tolerable than JR. Like can we just go with a two man booth all ready?

Man....I’m still in a bad mood from Sunday. Let’s see if NXT can fix that.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 748
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2019 at 07:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I also felt that the AEW show cruised by quickly. I did ast forward thru the women’s match on AEW but didn’t touch the remote (with the exception of commercials as I watched it a few hours later) and I was surprised when it was main event time. Went by so fast.

I enjoyed the heck out of the show. I keep seeing people complain about Darby Allin getting a title shot against Jericho but AEW is still new and trying to establish some guys. No way he wins obviously but I’d rather see them build him up (hopefully it won’t be a squash to crush Allin’s potential) instead of seeing more guys I’m not aware of fighting each other. Would you guys rather see a new guy get some rub to try and establish more stars for the company or would you rather next week be Jericho versus Dustin or someone already established that still wouldn’t have a chance to win?

The bump Moxley took in the corner outside the ring on his head was brutal. I’m excited to see where this company goes and if they can maintain things.

NXT had a great opening title match and that Strong match was pretty good, too. Never cared for Dakota Kai and don’t care much for Kushida. After last week, this week’s show felt like a return to normal (while AEW’s got better, I thought).

I’m wondering if the WWE is trying to rope a dope AEW and let them exhaust their best stuff in the first few months knowing that the WWE will just keep trudging along regardless of how the NXT/AEW feud goes along. Felt like AEW was a Nitro when Nitro was still good and NXT was an episode of NXT. Still good and fun but I’d rather watch the “event” show.

[Edited on 10-10-2019 by CVD39]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top