The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (October 7, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4345
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-7-2019 at 10:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (October 7, 2019)

Tonight on RAW: it would probably be a really good idea for WWE to engage in some sort of damage control with regards to last night's disastrous Hell in a Cell main event... but I also wouldn't count on it...

Seth Rollins left on a stretcher, but still as WWEU Champ, when the ref just decided "meh, I stop the match now"... Bray Wyatt decimated Rollins, but has no gold to show for it (which is actually the outcome a lot of us sensed was the necessary one), and when you throw in the mind-bogglingly shitty red lighting, fans live and on the interwebz were pissed off in a way they haven't been pissed off since Roman Reigns winning the Rumble in 2015...

WWE was actually bailed out by a major blizzard back in 2015, and the live RAW the next night was cancelled, allowed them to control the situation with a studio/recap show, instead of having to go out and face a live audience... in the end, all the indignant fan uproar amounted to "not much," and this time around, it probably won't be too much worse, except for the simple fact that AEW now exists in a form where they can legitimately say "Hey, we might actually be a viable alternative for some of you WWE fans"... Jericho has already started spinning up that narrative on the tweety... so we'll see how it goes, but I half assume WWE does its best to just sweep it under the rug: you know, a quick summary and still photos, the announcement that Seth isn't here (saving them from having to run any WWEU title segment in front of the fans), and HEY EVERYBODY LOOK OVER HERE DRAFT ON FRIDAY!!!!!!

Actually, focusing on the Friday draft is inevitable, regardless.... we had the entire "Debut Week" and a PPV take place while knowing full well that we're also treading a whole lot of water until we get the rosters re-sorted... tonight will probably not tip the hand too much in terms of who ends up where, but it will be an "all hands on deck" show where everybody can mix and mingle and maybe close out a few existing issues while teasing at new ones...

The only confirmed segments as of now:

• Rusev vs. Randy Orton in the opening match. They are members of "Team Hogan" and "Team Flair," respectively, for the upcoming Saudi Arabia PPV. This could just be a straight up "who has momentum?" story, or you could have all kinds of wacky shenanigans as more members of the team are revealed. [And yes, Lashley and Lana probably figures in, too.]
  • WWE spent the weekend hyping up an "open mic" for heavyweight boxing champ Tyson Fury. Fury and Braun Strowman are headed to a match in Saudi Arabia, so adjust expectations accordingly.
  • Asuka and Kairi Sane are the new Women's Tag Champs, and Asuka is the proud new owner of GREEN MIST~!.... they are set for a non-title match tonight against RAW champ Becky Lynch and new SD Champ Charlotte... and you can bet, not too far removed will be the title-less Boss & Hug Connection, taking issue with all 4 of them...
  • Speaking of tag titles, the duo of Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode haven't really had clear-cut challengers since their surprise win, but the Viking Warriors can make a case if they win a non-title match against Ziggler/Roode tonight.
  • Natalya vs. Lacey Evans in a Last Woman Standing Match, because reasons, I guess. Nattie's win last night played as an upset, so probably just to put Lacey over huge on free TV with the bigger audience.

In the (presumed) absence of the WWEU Champ, the US Champ AJ Styles could normally be expected to be involved in a major anchor type match.... except he's been more or less rudderless in the build-up to the Friday Night Sorting Hat, so nothing obvious occurs... before Gallows and Anderson dropped the tag titles, it seemed like the 3 men with all the gold were setting up for quality factional warfare against a couple different potential trios, and now, we can't even muster up a single primary challenger to the US Champ? Boo on that...

IC Champ Shinsuke Nakamura is in a similar situation over on SD, so it could be both secondary champs are just biding their time before switching brands, or something.... Shin (and his hype man, Sami Zayn) could easily show up tonight to begin re-acclimating to Mondays, I guess...

Expect all things Brock -- including a Saudi Arabia-funded one-off against Cain Velasquez, and a more conventional parallel story in which Rey Mysterio and Dominick are Brock's main domestic problems -- to play out on Fridays from now on...

So that leaves..... ummmmm.... even more Boring Carbon vs. Chad Gable "hilarity," maybe? Corbin "decreed" that Chad's new name is "Shorty Gable" and somehow, he has the power over ring announcers and chyron designers, because it stuck.... it also doesn't matter, because Gable beat Corbin again last night, which means this all continues for another week...

R-Truth is once again 24/7 Champ, which is probably for the best, given that WWE is limited in terms of men and women mixing it up physically... Tamina served as the conduit by which the title went from Carmella to Truth...

Roman Reigns and Daniel Bryan concluded their issues with Rowan/Harper last night, and could start laying the foundation for something else tonight.... that said, Reigns seems like almost as much of a mortal lock to be exclusive to SD after this Friday, so maybe Roman just drops by for a cameo type thing...

Oh, and we should all still be on high alert for familiar faces returning to expand the overall talent pool before RAW and SD start picking teams... in some cases (Lashley) there was an injury hiatus, in others (Rusev) it might be a need to recharge batteries... and as it stands, Sheamus is cleared to return from neck injury, and the Usos are itching to get back on TV after outside issues placed them on the creative back burner.... WWE has even been holding back on guys like Samoa Joe, Andrade, and Aleister Black rather than carting them out on TV for meaningless stuff; now, when they show up, it'll be something of a soft reboot...

I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't throw Edge's name out there; where there's smoke, there's usually fire.... more certain is that Johnny (Nitro/Impact/Mundo) Morrison will be returning to WWE sooner than later... if Ronda Rousey is gonna be a part of this year's WrestleMania Story Cycle (not a certainty, but definitely a strong possibility), she'll be back in the near future, too...

That is all. End communication.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6067
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Ethiopian Chicken

posted on 10-8-2019 at 12:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WELCOME TO AMERICA, MOTHERCUCKER!

Janny 11:19 says 11:19 doesn't mean diddly dick.

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 10-8-2019 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Props to the fan in the front row with the neck brace. It takes balls to put yourself that close to the action with whatever is wrong with his neck.
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 10-8-2019 at 12:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It only took two weeks for someone to put the halfpipe to good use.
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1336
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-8-2019 at 12:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't tell if I jumped into the show at an acceptable time or not. It's kind of growing on me with the "throw Nattie into something, wait nine seconds, repeat" formula. Aside from that moonsault off the barrier. And throwing Nattie into the ramp stage was weird as hell because I briefly thought she was about to fall through something instead of just sliding back down. ALSO props to not having Lacey go through stuff and triggering ridiculous sparking action.

Edit: So I guess we get Boxer Guy action. I briefly thought that was Mike Kanellis, but suddenly using Heath Slater's I GOT KIIIIIIDS gimmick. Which at this point, why not.

[Edited on 10-8-2019 by Il Palazzo]

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 10-8-2019 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE: feature a "last lady standing" match with women beating the hell out of each other

WWE, five minutes later: save the bOObies!

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 10-8-2019 at 12:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT commercial: "If you want no BS, then this is for you". Is the WWE referencing their own shortcomings last night?
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1336
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-8-2019 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The first time I've actually seen the Singh Brothers in actual wrestling mode and they get mauled by Aleister Black. Poor Singhs.

Edit: I have to say, I figured this would end up being about the OC maybe being weakened from last night, but then they'd steamroll LHP anyway. Yet here we are, having a match! I figured the OC is still winning, but there's actually a wee bit of possibility LHP can win. Maybe.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 10-8-2019 at 01:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It is a rule in wrestling that you have to do a spinebuster if your name is Anderson, right?
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1336
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-8-2019 at 01:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, guess they lost after all. They tried!

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4345
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-8-2019 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Unless I missed something while flipping to baseball, we're 2 hours in, and zero mentions of the WWEU Title.

PPV, what PPV? You're imagining things, internet. Just shut up already.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 10-8-2019 at 01:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
Unless I missed something while flipping to baseball, we're 2 hours in, and zero mentions of the WWEU Title.

PPV, what PPV? You're imagining things, internet. Just shut up already.

Just remember - if you want no BS, then NXT is for you!

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3256
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-8-2019 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You can't spell "Monday Night Raw" without B and S...

Wait, no. I mean... Ugh. Eye spel bad.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1336
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-8-2019 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I still love how the dynamic went from "Alexa is probably just using Nikki, like all those other times she did it to someone else" to "nevermind, they're actual friends now apparently, whatever."

And Kabuki Warriors 4 Life.

Edit: Oh, so THIS is how tonight started. I'd say I'm glad I missed it, but I'm watching it right now. I guess at least I only had to watch it once instead of twice?

Edit II: My takeaway from that segment was that WWE apparently employs a guy that sort of reminded me of Bronson Pinchot from that Langoliers miniseries, it's amusing that Sammy Zane is still using his cracked mirror thing that never made sense because he's rarely used on TV outside of times they need extra people doing something and as such hasn't had the chance to explain any of it that way, and I don't really care about any of this Strowman vs. a boxer I think I literally had never heard of before last week. Mostly due to that last bit. And also because if this is only leading up to some stunt booking for SandySlam, meh. Still meh anyway. I THINK it has a chance to lead to something I can semi-care about, but still. Meh.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7565
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-8-2019 at 03:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Say what you want about that last segment, but the live crowd was pretty hot for it. With that said, I think a match between Braun and Fury would be an absolute trainwreck based on how awkward Fury looked in there having to throw fake punches.

Also, pretty funny how the WWE swept last night's Universal title match completely under the rug, save for that one recap. I wonder when the last time was they so quickly wanted to forget about a PPV main event.

And damn, RAW was actually pretty solid for a month or two recently, but the last couple of weeks have not been good. Hopefully the draft shakes things up a bit.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7808
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-8-2019 at 03:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I fast forwarded up to the OC vs Lucha House party match.

Man this show felt like a head coach in his last year of his contract being 10 games out of a playoff spot at the All-Star break. You know he’s not going to be there next year, but the owner is too cheap to fire his ass.

In this case, USA needs anything that will get any kind of ratings, and WWE is just all in on FOX.

Maybe after the draft something will change, but I’m guessing crap like the Lashley/Rusev feud isn’t going away any time soon.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2397
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 10-8-2019 at 06:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're gonna forget about last nights main event...

..because YOU'RE A MARK!!

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1001
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 10-8-2019 at 01:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoveMuscle
NXT commercial: "If you want no BS, then this is for you". Is the WWE referencing their own shortcomings last night?

Haha I forgot about this. You catch the first run of those ad's with the hilarious typsetting?

"If you want NO.B.S this is for you!"

In the UK, believe me, that was an interesting message...

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2454
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-8-2019 at 06:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Didn't watch the show, but saw an interesting fact while reading the results.

When Kairi Sane pinned Becky last night, it's the first time Becky's been pinned on WWE TV in 17 months.

Holy shit.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7808
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-8-2019 at 06:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That...makes me more upset about flubbing Bray at HIAC.

The WWE lucked in to Becky’s botched heel turn getting her more over as a face (every one from Becky to the announcers did a poor job with that that turn....let’s not forget that “The Man” gimmick came AFTER fans just decided Becky was staying a face) and Nia botching a punch (and Becky’s great sell job with the blood) forcing no Becky vs Rousey at Survivor Series.

They’ve booked Becky super strong. Hell, they’ve tried the same shit with Seth. We know they know how to profit off of fans picking a guy or gal. See Becky and Bryan. Begrudgingly, but still. We’ve seen them try to make people (Roman, Roman, and Roman) and try and try.

But when they have a guy like Braun who’ve they built from nothing? Nope.

When they have The Fiend (an entirely a WWE thing that caught on way more than they could have hoped for) in a freaking HIAC where Rollins taking a loss would do him no harm...

THEY STILL DIDN’T PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

This wasn’t a fan revolt. This wasn’t the Yes Movement or Kofi-Mania. This was their freaking guy!!!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3091
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-8-2019 at 07:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched preseason out of market hoops last night. Just like when my WWE Network went out on Sunday I just didn’t care enough.

I love pro wrestling ... and I love WWE ... but there is just too much of this shit on nowadays.

You’d think having more wrestling on than ever would be a good thing but committing to even 5 hours a week was a bit much. Now we’re talking like 9 to 12 minimum? Yeah, no. I got other stuff to do.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1787
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 10-8-2019 at 09:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE took the ME from the previous night's PPV and relegated it to a simple footnote in the last hour of RAW. I equate that to a front page news story being moved to page eight, next to the obituaries.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3256
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-9-2019 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
I watched preseason out of market hoops last night. Just like when my WWE Network went out on Sunday I just didn’t care enough.

I love pro wrestling ... and I love WWE ... but there is just too much of this shit on nowadays.

You’d think having more wrestling on than ever would be a good thing but committing to even 5 hours a week was a bit much. Now we’re talking like 9 to 12 minimum? Yeah, no. I got other stuff to do.

Pretty much this. I mean, it's not so much a "Wrestling War" right now as it is "People Going On A Wrestling Diet."

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1631
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 10-9-2019 at 02:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Didn't watch the show, but saw an interesting fact while reading the results.

When Kairi Sane pinned Becky last night, it's the first time Becky's been pinned on WWE TV in 17 months.

Holy shit.

That can't be right. She definitely got pinned by Charlotte Flair at Money in the Bank to lose the SmackDown! Women's Title, at least.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10662
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-9-2019 at 04:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Becky also lost via submission to Asuka at the RR earlier this year.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top