The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: WWE Hell in a Cell (October 6, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-6-2019 at 09:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PPV DISCUSSION: WWE Hell in a Cell (October 6, 2019)

Almost lost in the shuffle, tonight is one of WWE's more reliably eye-popping PPVs of the year... but the logistics involved in launching SmackDown on FOX 2 days ago, while facing a complete roster shake-up in just 5 days means that there isn't much in place for tonight.

In fact, just 2 hours before show time, we only know of 4 confirmed matches:

SETH ROLLINS vs. BRAY WYATT (Cell Match for the WWEU Title)
BECKY LYNCH vs. SASHA BANKS (Cell Match for the RAW Women's Title)
BAYLEY vs. CHARLOTTE (SD Women's Title)
DANIEL BRYAN/ROMAN REIGNS vs. ERICK ROWAN/LUKE HARPER

Presumably, if new WWE Champ Brock Lesnar was to have any sort of participation tonight, they would announce it ahead of time... as it stands, Lesnar vs. Velasquez is taking place at the Dirrrrrty Money in the Desert show in Saudi Arabia later this month, so he's got other issues to deal with, and will do so on a slower timeline than doing anything tonight.

On one hand, it feels like "The Fiend" as WWEU Champ would somehow just -- I dunno -- not work, like it's not the sort of thing his character would be especially into, other than as a way to make someone else suffer.... but on the other hand, strike while the iron is hot, right?

The two women's matches are also coin flips for me, and their outcomes have to fit into plans for the draft... as it stands, it seems like FOX's advertising has hinted that they are getting pretty much every major star on both brands, but obviously, that's not the case, and graphics can be quickly edited, so it's all pretty wide open... off the top of my head, you want Boss & Hug to remain viable, so at least one of them has to be title-less at the end of the night...

Unless DBry is playing some sort of long con on Reigns (and hey, who knows?), I can't see the them losing to the Bludgeon Brothers...

As for other matches? Well, no other champs have obvious challengers lined up... US Champ AJ Styles has been fairly "takes on all comers," while Sami Zayn's mouth could write a check that IC Champ Shinsuke Nakamura's ass will have to cash, so in both cases, spinning up title matches wouldn't be hard at all.... all three sets of tag champs (Alexa/Nikki, Ziggler/Roode on RAW, Revival on SD) seem even further away from plausible challengers.... Drew Gulak vs. Somebody doesn't require a lot of effort to justify a pre-show match...

What else.... ummm, Strowman's gonna be dealing with Tyson Fury, but WWE has already announced that's being dealt with on RAW (and again, the trajectory there seems to be to get them in the ring in Saudi Arabia)... speaking of Saudi Arabia, you might be able to get some traction out of "Team Hogan" and "Team Flair" guys getting into a dust-up tonight, setting up a match.... I guess we should all prepare for more of the WrestleCrap that is Rusev vs. Lashley in "Vince McMahon's Regressive Race-Baiting Theatre" (which was already 30 years out of date when he tried to rile up his base by booking Sunny with Ron Simmons)...

But yeah, pretty wide open for anything to happen tonight... it's just that instead of a PPV feeling like the end of a story cycle, this is is sitting smackdab in the middle of one that won't get closure until we conclude Day 2 of the Draft in 8 days.... we shall see....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8887
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 10-6-2019 at 09:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They just announced a bunch more:

quote:

In addition, as first reported during WWE Now Live, WWE Hell in a Cell will feature the following matches and match stipulations.

First, the already-established matchup pitting Roman Reigns & Daniel Bryan against Erick Rowan & Luke Harper will now be a Tornado Tag Team Match!

In addition, the WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship Match pits Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross against The Kabuki Warriors, Chad Gable takes on King Corbin in a King of the Ring rematch and The Viking Raiders & a mystery partner will battle all three members of The O.C.

Plus, Natalya will face Lacey Evans during the WWE Hell in a Cell Kickoff

Don't Mess With Texas

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7565
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-6-2019 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I find it kind of baffling that the WWE waited until the last minute to suddenly announce a bunch of random matches, but I guess they're just counting on Rollins/Bray and Becky/Sasha, along with the HIAC gimmick, to sell the PPV.

Regardless, my picks/thoughts:

Seth Rollins vs Bray Wyatt: This one is definitely intriguing, just as far as how it's going to play out. I say there's zero chance the Fiend loses, but I kind of like the idea I've seen floated around here of Bray having the match won, but then he just walks out, leaving Rollins beaten and confused in the ring. So yeah...I guess I'll play it safe and say the Fiend wins the belt tonight, but nothing would really surprise me here (outside of Rollins winning clean, even though he as beaten Brock and Strowman his last two matches).

Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks: Becky has had a hell of a title run, even if some of it has been forgettable, but I think it's reached it's natural conclusion here. Give me Sasha for the win, and her and Bayley can run around as dual champs for a while.

Bayley vs Charlotte: It's hard to pick against Charlotte in a PPV match for the Smackdown women's title, but if I'm sticking with my prediction about Sasha and Bayley being dual champs, Charlotte has to lose here. So give me Bayley to retain (even though Charlotte winning wouldn't exactly be a shock).

Tornado Tag Team match: I actually kind of love this being a nod to the tornado tag match Bryan and Reigns had a few years ago on Smackdown (which was great). So give me them to prevail victorious yet again.

Baron Corbin vs Chad Gable: These two work well together, but what the fuck is the point of doing yet another match after the KOTR finals? Corbin wins because Corbin.

Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross vs The Kabuki Warriors: Alexa and Nikki, because apparently the WWE has completely forgotten about Asuka.

The Viking Raiders/Mystery Partner vs The OC: It would be kind of cool if they busted out someone random like Aleister Black here (remember him?) as the mystery partner, but either way give me the faces to win.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7806
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-6-2019 at 11:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Easily Becky’s best match.Some very unique spots...Terrible booking. Sasha is basically pointless now.

ETA: that was a fantastic match. Four solid wrestlers, and the smoke and mirrors of the Tornado stipulation was used very well. I’m 100% ok with face Bryan being a thing, and the Harper/Rowan team are not potential main event guys, so there is zero harm in them doing the job.

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by bigfatgoalie]

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-7-2019 at 12:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seconded that women's HiaC and the Tornado match met or exceeded expectations.

Am I just being "on brand" or would I be accurate to say that the Apex Sedative is now in the process of bringing the room down?

EDIT: Of course, shortly after I type that, the crowd actually shows signs of life.... by chanting "ARE KAY OH." Presumably because they just want the match to be over, already?

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by OORick]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7806
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 10-7-2019 at 12:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The match was...perfectly acceptable wrestling. The RKO counter was at least unique.

Also...Ali for Team Flair having earned Orton’s respect?

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-7-2019 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I can go with "acceptable." As to Ali.... is he somebody Saudi Arabia wants to cheer for, or somebody they want to dismember? I can't keep all my regional rivalries straight....

In this women's tag match, lots of open discussion of how FOX and USA are both politicking heavily for the best rosters, which is interesting. I mean, yes, obivously, it's true, but WWE putting it out there as a storyline type thing is not what I'd expect.

Also, against existing conventional wisdom, it appears to be confirmed that the women's tag titles will remain cross-brand, based on comments so far in this match.

EDIT: Green Mist, bah gawd, Green Mist!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7806
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 10-7-2019 at 12:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So....I picked the wrong time to take my dog out for a shit. Damn. Love me some Green Mist!
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6056
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 10-7-2019 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A.J. deserves more than this.

ETA: Despite the shocking lack of m-t-f participants, I too also am casually enjoying this Throw Shit At The Wall And See What Sticks HitC PPV.

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by janerd75]

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2738
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AJ sure did a heck of a sell on that punch. I would have liked a flair flop, but AJ went way over the top in the best way. In turned his role of getting Braun over to getting himself over.

Still no interest in Braun vs D List Boxer.

Asuka is maybe the best wrestler alive and the mist is a welcome edition.

OO's only mammal penguin

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I dunno... AJ was utterly delightful as a complete and utter stumbling buffoon, in a way that keeps him utterly teflon when it comes to his US Title. Loved it.

I also noticed another hidden silver lining: Braun suddenly developing a random KO Punch means we have been saved from yet another Big Show vs. Random Boxer feud. This is a good thing.

If it is true that the women's tag champs can be on both shows, I am the true winner. I dig more Asuka on my TV. Now, it's up to her to MIST UP~! Everybody knows the green is blinding. When necessary, the red is burning. And I don't remember if Tajiri got around to introducing it domestically, but the black mist is somehow Instant Death. I cannot possibly be alone in being instantly intrigued by the thought of Asuka enjoying various viscous fluids in her mouth! [/ijusttimesuppedmyself]

LATE ADD: Tamina is new 24/7 Champ. Also, the "STD" chant stuck.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4026
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick

Also, against existing conventional wisdom, it appears to be confirmed that the women's tag titles will remain cross-brand, based on comments so far in this match.

This just might solve the ''who's left to challenge Shayna?'' problem.

The Kabuki Warriors dropping by NXT as cross-brand Champions and bumping heads with Shayna and her MMA buddies is easy enough to book with Kairi's history. Of course this would all lead to the current dominant NXT Women's Champions defending against the infamously dominant Women's Champion who left NXT undefeated.

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by First 9]

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually, I don't know how NXT factors into the Draft and brand exclusivity.... Finn did some stuff this week that suggested his NXT appearance was freelancing, so basically anyone could show up there at anytime, women's tag titles be damned.

That said, I love the idea of Asuka being someone who -- as a side-gig -- gives Baszler a go in NXT, and if the situation is right, and given the looming inevitable "streak" story, it just might happen. If it's good enough for Finn, it's good enough for the Empress.

AND JUST LIKE THAT: the 24/7 Title is back on Truth. Gravy: "Finally, I can get a good night's sleep." Gravy wins commentary.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Did anyone else see Bryan stumble, reach for his neck, and the call for help from the back as he walked up the ramp post-match?

Seemed...concerning...

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Everybody knows the green is blinding. When necessary, the red is burning. And I don't remember if Tajiri got around to introducing it domestically, but the black mist is somehow Instant Death.

Tajiri hit Nidia with the black mist on SmackDown back in the day. She was left blinded for an extended period of time (weeks, possibly months), but it wasn't instant death.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

OO Wrestling Draft 13 Signup

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh, maybe I do remember that.

Did that make the black mist the "Chest Inflating" mist, or were those unrelated?

Regardless, there are at least 3 known mists, and I hope Asuka deploys them in an ultra-bad-ass way.

Didn't notice anything odd about Bryan, post-match, other than he was over-selling to get out of the ring and let Reigns have the moment while Reigns' music was playing. Which is pretty standard practice. Hope it's nothing more than that.

Rollins/Wyatt is upon us... match or angle? I still don't really know how this should go. You can't put a loss on Wyatt at this point, but at the same time, Fiend as champ just doesn't really seem to work in any conventional sense.

AMBIGUITY~!

EDIT: the Beheaded Skull Lamp seems to be back!

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8887
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 10-7-2019 at 01:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Such a great entrance.

Don't Mess With Texas

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8887
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Boos for the Universal Champ as he goes on an offensive flurry. Cheers and chants of “yowie wowie” at the kickouts on 1 count.

Don't Mess With Texas

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1630
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Oh, maybe I do remember that.

Did that make the black mist the "Chest Inflating" mist, or were those unrelated?

I believe the "permanent chest swelling" was the result of a Clothesline from Hell, not any sort of mist.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7806
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That....was not a good booking choice. Like, that’s finger poke of death levels of bad. Completely indefensible.
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How do you do so much so right and then absolutely fuck up the ending? I mean, not just "oh, this was a bad choice" but "I'm actively so fucking annoyed with the ending that I may not even fucking watch RAW tomorrow because I just don't give a fuck right now".

I...guess they managed to not put the title on him and still not neuter the Fiend, but fuck, it was just...dumb. So fucking dumb. Just job Seth out. It's not that fucking hard. Jesus. I love Seth but he's not some untouchable guy who can't eat a loss.

Just fucking garbage.

Uh, other than that...

Becky-Sasha was pretty great and was match of the night by a mile.

Charlotte winning a 10th title is something.

Asuka breaking out THE MIST is highlight of the show for me, evil Asuka will rule especially once she murders Kairi and starts chasing solo gold again.

Bludgeons vs. HugDog was a good, fun chaotic brawl.

I think I'm actively starting to just dislike Braun Strowman.

But the ending's what's going to stick with me. What a clusterfuck. Fuck whoever booked that.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2738
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A DQ to end a Hell in a Cell match? Very dumb.

Second time in three nights the end of a show that started strong leaves me just depressed about the state of wrestling instead of excited.

OO's only mammal penguin

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I turned it on just in time to catch the Fiend's entrance, so that was perfect timing.

Or so I thought, at least. Hooooooly shit there's terrible booking and then there was THAT.

Side note-- am I missing something here? I'm always used to shows ending at 8:00ish my local time (West coast), so I was stunned that this one ended at like quarter after 7?

Anyhow, what in the fucking fuck was that all about. It looked like they were about to make Bray look like the most unbeatable monster in WWE history... and instead wimped out and we got a DQ because of a sledge hit. After everything else that had already been deemed acceptable. In a no DQ match.

Wat.

Also, can we please not "Sin Cara" the Fiend? The red lighting was stupid and unnecessary.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Still trying to wrap my head around what the intent of the main event was (which I think I sort of get), to say nothing of the actual end result (which was not good).

Somebody whiffed on something, though.

Is it as simple as that stupid ass red light just giving me All The Gripes, and I was never going to like something as much as I otherwise would have after the dumbass red light?

Seriously: wrestling works when it has some connection to reality. There are parts of disbelief we all agree to suspend, but a corporate decision to order your stage crew to switch over the red light is none of them. Somehow, the lights going out for Bray's appearances are "OK," but a whole match in red light is just some shit-for-brains nonsense.

That said: it's not unfixable. The damage to Rollins (getting booed AND the narrative loser via DQ) is minimal and the damage to the Fiend (never booed and more or less the "winner" by getting up after getting "beat" and "stretchered") doesn't really exist.

It's still dumb, on its face, and everybody is right for pointing out the many ways it could have been better. But as I said at the outset, I never put too much emphasis on tonight, because what matters is where we are in 8 nights.

I'll deal.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7565
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-7-2019 at 02:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Funny story: despite posting my predictions in this very thread roughly five hours ago, I completely forgot about the PPV after getting wrapped up in setting up some Halloween decorations, hanging out with my wife, and drinking beers (which I've been doing all day). At about 10:20 I thought "Oh shit, HIAC is on" and turned on WWE Network, only to see some Goldberg special. I then proceeded to watch a very condensed and fast-forwarded version of the show.

But yeah, the general consensus seems to be that there was some good stuff to be had, but the main event sucked (I personally didn't mind the red light thing though, as it added to the whole horror element of the Fiend). But hearing some "AEW" chants to close out the PPV? Not good.

On the flipside: I went 2/7 on my PPV picks, which hardly ever, ever happens when it comes to a WWE PPV, so kudos to them for subverting my expectations I guess?

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top