The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: NXT/AEW Wednesday Night Fight (October 2, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4339
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-2-2019 at 10:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: NXT/AEW Wednesday Night Fight (October 2, 2019)

So, It Has Come to This: head-to-head pro wrestling on major cable networks is back for the first time in over 18 years (assuming you forget TNA's month-long flail on Monday nights, which you definitely should)... and I have no idea what form our discussions will take over time, but for starters, let's try one thread for each weekly battle....

The realistic outlook is that there's no way each show on its own would ever generate enough discussion to justify both a weekly NXT and weekly AEW thread.... and yet, it seems massively underwhelming to just keep posting in the existing catch-all threads which were fine for when AEW was basically an ephemeral idea that included sporadic PPV streamed events and when NXT was non-linearly-viewed that nobody watched at the same time.... there is now an immediacy to both products, and much less of the "so I finally got caught up on such-and-such"...

That's not to say we'll all somehow forget how DVRs work, and revert back to the days of flipping channels and deciding which show to watch on a segment-by-segment basis, but unless I miss my guess, MOST of us will probably make the effort to watch both shows before we turn in on Wednesday nights... at least, we will here at the start...

If real time interest wanes, or if things get too stupid if people take up sides, and "Team AEW" cannot co-exist with "Team NXT," we'll go back to the other threads, but for now, I think this is worth trying...

NXT is basically serving up a free Takeover caliber show, from the looks of things... 3 huge title matches, any one of which could steal the show...

Adam Cole is defending the NXT Title against Matt Riddle, and WWE has announced that this will be the show-opening segment... they've done a super-quick build on Riddle, complete with an injury angle last week that makes Cole extra-vulnerable to a possible title loss (which would, in turn, end "The Prophecy" of all members of the Undisputed Era holding titles)...

Also: Shayna Baszler defends the NXT Women's Title against Candice LaRae, and the Undisputed Era's Fish/O'Reilly (seconded by follow "Prophecy" fulfiller NA Champ Roderick Strong) defend their tag titles against the Street Profits (who will be backed by Wale, I gather)...

Johnny Gargano and the Velveteen Dream are also confirmed as being featured in glorified enhancement matches, as WWE has been very open about their strategy of making sure fans are familiarized with NXT's roster instead of just expecting people to instantly care (so yes, kinda squash matches, but also, the idea of "show, don't tell" is a solid one)...

On the AEW side:

AEW Champ Chris Jericho teams with LAX to take on International Darlings Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks in the night's main event... meantime, Cody Rhodes is installed as Jericho's #1 Contender for AEW's upcoming PPV, and has a featured match against Sammy Guevara... AEW is very much open about the fact that Cody and the Bucks are wielding backstage power as the chief bookers, although for now, it has not been made into fodder for storylines; it is, as the kids say, "what it is"....

AEW's first Women's Champ will be crowned when Riho (all 80 pounds of her) battles Nyla Rose (a 200lb transgender woman), which should be, ummmmmmm, interesting...

Two other confirmed matches: PAC (formerly Neville) takes on Adam Page, and MJF squares off against Brandon Cutler.... and perhaps most interesting (at least, for me) will be Jon "Don't Call Me Dean Ambrose" Moxley returning to TV with a soft reboot... he sort of started what appeared to be a feud with Omega, but then immediately suffered a massive infection (a return of the same thing that set him back during his lengthy WWE lay-off), necessitating a change of plans... so finding out what's next for Mox should be cool; or, at the very least, it's one part of the show that we know won't suck...

Last notion: these are going to be two of the most intensely wanker-riffic live crowds you'll ever see, and I expect it to stay that way even if NXT gets out of Orlando in the future... usually, these types of crowds are the bane of my existence, since they seem convinced they are part of the show... but tonight, they actually kinda sorta could (and should) be... the majority of us at home want both shows to "win," but you gotta think the live crowds will be rooting for the home team, which could get interesting... in politics, the "enthusiasm gap" is a real thing that affects the perception of undecideds/independents, and how much fun the fans are having could have a real impact on how the shows come across on TV...

That is all. End communication....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-2-2019 at 10:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great idea Rick. I was hoping for something like this. Well played good sir.

Now that thatís out of the way, since I get to spend one more glorious evening in a Lagrange, Kentucky Best Western, I wonít have the benefit of watching both shows. For tonight at least Iím going to check out AEW. I love the NXT card - Riddle and Cole are two of my absolute favorites - but as a fan of pro wrestling I really want to give AEW an honest chance. Iíve never seen more than a few Kenny Omega clips so more than anything Iím really interested to see what heís all about.

Honestly I hope they both knock it out of the park, and the momentum continues onto Smackdown. There is a lot to be excited about, and this week has been a long time coming. Iíll probably chime in a bunch tonight and Iím setting the over under on classic Janerd posts during the ďwomanísĒ AEW championship match at 3.5.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This seems 10000% more big time than I expected. Good start!

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4339
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT looking for the early kill. Main event title match + no commercials for the first 30 minutes = no channel floppy.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sounds like maybe I should switch to NXT. I figured I'd go AEW just because I've seen none of their previous stuff, and it's the NEW thing to deal with. The curse of personally lacking a DVR. But whatever. As long as I'm watching something that isn't putting me in a coma, I'm good.

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
NXT looking for the early kill. Main event title match + no commercials for the first 30 minutes = no channel floppy.

AEW seems to be doing the exact same thing. Iím getting 1998 flashbacks!

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Switch back and forth? What are you ancient Monday Night War peasants babbling aboat? JANNERTRON 6969.... ENGAGED!!!

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I envy your wrasslin' multitasking.

Edit: Aw, missed all the NXT fisticuffs. But now Balor's apparently on NXT, so there's that. Although with that draft still coming up, perhaps he'll get shuffled off elsewhere anyway.

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by Il Palazzo]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AEW doing the box on during the commercial thing. I flip to NXT for 20 seconds and FINN BALOR IS NXT?!?!

Fuck! This is awesome!

Also Jericho is beating the living shit out of Cody haha

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sooooooooo, RAM is pretty much an optional afterthought at this point, yes?

AEWCW seems nice though. Good jorb for trying, guys!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
Sooooooooo, RAM is pretty much an optional afterthought at this point, yes?

AEWCW seems nice though. Good jorb for trying, guys!

Seriously.

Also, MJF is fun. Iím very happy with AEWís effort so far.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AEW has Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes at ringside, therefore is the superior show. CLEARLY.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
MJF eats dong and ass. Simultaneously.

Why lookie there, it's Jay and Talking Bob and... Street Profits a.k.a Private Party (?!?!) on AEW! Clerks III though, woot!!!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
MJF eats dong and ass. Simultaneously.

You donít?

Oh by gawd! Itís a multicultural pier 5 brawl!

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by DKBroiler]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I eat as many dongs and ass as I can on my way out to the parking lot.

But I don't suck doing it.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4339
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll resist the urge to make hacky David Arquette/Dying Days of WCW joke on the grounds that Kevin Smith had a discernable prime.

But I will point out that when Jay and Silent Bob we're on one channel, Io Shirai was on the other, and I know which of those two I'll take.

Also, NXT at ll yet to take a true commercial, just a few split screens. Just noticed they got a 15 minute overrun, too. USA taking this seriously.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10651
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
AEW has Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes at ringside, therefore is the superior show. CLEARLY.

Pretty much on the same cultural par as WWE having The (surviving) Monkees or the cast of Gilligan's Island to be at ringside for the next Hogan-Flair match.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, I'd take those as well. It's a shame they're dead, because WWE would score big getting Vincent Price and/or Christopher Lee and/or Peter Cushing to show up for a Fiend thing.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3085
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 10-3-2019 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
I'll resist the urge to make hacky David Arquette/Dying Days of WCW joke on the grounds that Kevin Smith had a discernable prime.

But I will point out that when Jay and Silent Bob we're on one channel, Io Shirai was on the other, and I know which of those two I'll take.

Also, NXT at ll yet to take a true commercial, just a few split screens. Just noticed they got a 15 minute overrun, too. USA taking this seriously.

Looks like Jay and Silent Bob got a new movie coming out in 2 weeks that has Jericho in it.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10651
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 10-3-2019 at 01:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
Hey, I'd take those as well. It's a shame they're dead, because WWE would score big getting Vincent Price and/or Christopher Lee and/or Peter Cushing to show up for a Fiend thing.

The monster from Lee & Cushing's The Gorgon would eat the Fiend for lunch and then make him toss her salad after she crapped him out.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-3-2019 at 01:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Interesting that Gearl Hebner the lady ref was in the Tegan Nox comeback video and she's reffing tonight on AEW... along with OG Hebner. Weird, wild stuff.

ETA: Oh fine, I'll do it. Let's see how this one tracks....

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by janerd75]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-3-2019 at 01:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AEW seems okay so far, but it does kinda come off as a C-Grade movie about a non-WWE sanctioned pro wrassling outfit populated with former WWE players, varying degrees of stuntmen, and some of the chicks from GLOW.

[Edited on 10-4-2019 by Matte]

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1318
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-3-2019 at 01:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BAH GAWD. Moxbrose showed zero concern for the piece of cake on that table. MONSTER.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6037
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 10-3-2019 at 01:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To balance the scales of justice back in my favor, I like the Hispanic version of the not-Usos way more than the Hillbillier version of the not-Hardys on AEW. And Jericho is gettin' bubbly, alright.

Also, Street Profits in general and Montez Ford in particular are pretty dope.

My soul hath now been purified.

Also2, bah gawd it's Jake Hager and Dustin Runnels on AEWCWWE. Tremendous.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 10-3-2019 at 02:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That Riho lady is tough as nails, bah gawd.

Also, that whole AEW show-thing was kinda fun (albeit with a few minor/almost major blown spots). Jim Ross & Tony Schiavone actually kinda sorta didn't suck 100% of the time. Excaliber actually seems to know the names of things, and has a completely tolerable voice. I like the Bright Color Motif they've got going, but hate the Heels Beatdown To End The Show thing with a multicolored passion. I might set the DVR for next week and see what I get for my electronic troubles.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top