The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Back from the dead...again: The Halloween Horror Thread V
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-1-2019 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Back from the dead...again: The Halloween Horror Thread V

So it's officially October (at least here on the east coast) and that means the return of OO's annual thread that just won't die, the Halloween Horror Thread!

I haven't actually watched a ton of horror lately, but one recent release I did just watch is the Netflix series Marianne. For those not familiar, it's a French series that came out a couple of weeks ago and centers around a group of friends who went through some traumatic shit when they were younger thanks to the vengeful spirit of an evil witch named Marianne, and now 15 years later bad things are starting to happen again in their hometown. I give it a high recommendation to anyone who is into horror and the first few episodes are some of the creepiest shit I've seen on a TV show.

I also gave Texas Chainsaw Massacre a watch for the umpteenth time in my life back in August (August 18th, which is the day the movie takes place on, has kind of officially become "Texas Chainsaw Massacre Day" among horror fans, not unlike May the 4th being national Star Wars day) and it remains one of my all-time favorite horror movies. And it's pretty damn hard to believe that movie turned 45 this year.

Oh, and I did check out Mother! a few months back as well. I definitely get the polarizing reception it got, as I found the first 45 minutes or so really intriguing, but then started to get bored and fast-forwarded every now and then just to get to the end. It's hard for me to give that one a full recommendation, but if you're ever in the mood for something weird and different, it might be worth a watch. If nothing else, it definitely does a great job of creating a nightmarish setting where things just get worse and worse.

Anyhow, that's it from me for now. As per usual, feel free to discuss anything horror-related here, whether it be new stuff or retro, and I'll definitely be contributing more as I begin my usual October horror movie viewing.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7441
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 10-1-2019 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I bought the Halloween and Friday the 13th collections on clearance November 1st last year under the pretense I'd watch them this year. Then I found out the Halloween collection also has both Rob Zombie remakes, which makes me hesitant because I could see me talking myself into rewatching the first one under the impression it wasn't as bad as I remember (it is) and then watching the sequel and dying on the inside a bit.

Speaking of Zombie, for reasons I cannot fathom or explain, he made a sequel to Devil's Rejects, which might be the worst idea ever, because not only was that movie way better than it had any right to be, he also peaked shortly after. I only mention it because, if you're the type of person interested in dumb horror movies (or just wants to watch the last Sid Haig movie), the sequel is actually due out on DVD in two weeks (and may already be available digitally). Again, this is a movie that shouldn't exist. But it does, and, y'know, Halloween.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-1-2019 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not really a horror movie, but Iím pumped for Zombieland Double Tap, so Iíll likely rewatch the first one.

I should get around to watching the Evil Dead reboot (I own the blu ray) but Iíd have to hook up a blu ray player to do so.

Not a movie/tv show (well it will be), but Iíve also been meaning to re-read Locke & Key. Should also bust out the card game too.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-1-2019 at 10:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
Speaking of Zombie, for reasons I cannot fathom or explain, he made a sequel to Devil's Rejects, which might be the worst idea ever, because not only was that movie way better than it had any right to be, he also peaked shortly after. I only mention it because, if you're the type of person interested in dumb horror movies (or just wants to watch the last Sid Haig movie), the sequel is actually due out on DVD in two weeks (and may already be available digitally). Again, this is a movie that shouldn't exist. But it does, and, y'know, Halloween.

I'll see 3 From Hell eventually just because I've seen the first two movies, but it's not anything I'm gonna go out of my way to check out (I'll either wait until it's available to stream on Netflix, Hulu, etc or I can get it for like $7.99 at Best Buy). And even though The Devil's Rejects is Zombie's best movie, I always kind of wish he stuck with the more unrealistic/supernatural tone of House of 1,000 Corpses rather than go all grim 'n gritty realistic with the sequel.

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Not really a horror movie, but Iím pumped for Zombieland Double Tap, so Iíll likely rewatch the first one.

I loved the first Zombieland (though it's been years since I've seen it), but I dunno, the trailers for the new one aren't doing a whole lot for me. Hopefully it turns out good, but I'm worried this might be a "they waited five to ten years too long to pump out a sequel" type of situation.

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
I should get around to watching the Evil Dead reboot (I own the blu ray) but Iíd have to hook up a blu ray player to do so.

You should definitely check it out at some point, as the Evil Dead reboot/sequel has become one of my favorite horror films of the last ten years.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-2-2019 at 09:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Never watched the American Horror Story shows (although I did watch Scream Queens which was fun for awhile but a few episodes too long) but the new one peeked my interest. Itís called 1984 and is basically Friday the 13th with an early 80ís soundtrack. Watched the first episode and meh. Iíll probably keep on watching for a few more episodes before I make The Decision.

But itís there if anyone is interested.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-2-2019 at 10:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So far I like the new season of American Horror Story, but I fear it's going to end up like almost every season of this show. Starts off really cool, then tries to do too much, and gets dumb or boring by the end of the season.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-2-2019 at 10:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I loved Us. Jordan Peele is a goddamn horror mastermind.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-5-2019 at 02:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
So far I like the new season of American Horror Story, but I fear it's going to end up like almost every season of this show. Starts off really cool, then tries to do too much, and gets dumb or boring by the end of the season.

I've enjoyed American Horror Story over the years, but I agree that the show tends to be guilty of trying to pull off some kind of twist or swerve mid-season, which then kind of derails things (like when they killed Twisty the clown off a few episodes into Freak Show). I am enjoying the current season though and it's fun to see the series tackle the 1980's slasher genre, since they've never done that before.

And I got my first horror movie of October in last night, watching Candyman for the very first time (as a horror fan for 30+ years, don't ask me how I've to never seen it up until now). I enjoyed it, but it definitely felt like an early 90's horror film, just with the fashion styles, people smoking in every other scene, etc. And tone-wise, it reminded me of Child's Play, which is kind of funny since both of those movies take place in Chicago.

Also, I had no idea that Candyman was based on a Clive Barker story until seeing it in the opening credits.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-13-2019 at 09:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched Dawn of the Dead earlier today (for like the fifth or sixth time in my life) and what a classic that movie is. The zombies are a little outdated by today's standards, and it's maybe a smidge too long, but it remains arguably the greatest zombie movie ever made. I even got my wife, who enjoys horror but isn't a major fan like me, sucked into it.

And one thing I really noticed while watching it today is just how good the acting in that movie is. I know the general reputation is for horror movies to have shitty acting (especially one from 1978), but there's really not a weak link in the bunch in regard to the four main characters, with Ken Foree being the standout to me.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2019 at 03:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I got another horror movie in the other night, as I watched Halloween III for the very first time. Kind of like with Candyman, don't ask me how I've gone this long without ever seeing Halloween III, but I guess I've just never been that interested in it due to there being no Michael Myers (or connection to the Halloween series), not to mention it isn't exactly considered a horror classic.

Overall though, I kind of enjoyed it for what it was. The plot is batshit insane (evil robots, ancient pagan rituals, and killer Halloween masks? Only in the 80's, I tell ya), but it's some fun 80's horror cheesiness and I think that if it were it's own movie and not the black sheep of the Halloween franchise, it might be a little more fondly remembered.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-17-2019 at 04:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I gave Halloween III a shot last year and couldn't get in to it. The evil commercial jingle was annoying.

I also gave H20 and Halloween Resurrection shots last year as well. They were pretty average, only mildly entertaining. Funny that in both movies, the rapper-actors survive.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10859
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 10-17-2019 at 04:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Halloween III is a great selection for a Bad Movie Marathon night . It's pretty much perfect to go full MST3K on with the contemptuous commentary as you watch it with your no-good drunk buddies.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-17-2019 at 11:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, Halloween III is definitely perfect for a drunk movie night (and it should be noted that I was drinking while watching it, which might have been why I did get some enjoyment out of it).

quote:
I gave Halloween III a shot last year and couldn't get in to it. The evil commercial jingle was annoying.

I also gave H20 and Halloween Resurrection shots last year as well. They were pretty average, only mildly entertaining. Funny that in both movies, the rapper-actors survive.

Not sure how far you made it into Halloween III, but that jingle pretty much gets played throughout the movie right up until the very end.

And I like H20 well enough (in fact, I think I ranked it third in the series in last year's horror thread) but I fucking hate Resurrection. It's the only movie in the series besides Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 that I've never rewatched.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2019 at 10:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd give this thread one last bump, being Halloween and all. It doesn't seem like there was as much discussion in this year's thread, but that may just be a case of running out of horror stuff to discuss after five years (not to mention there were some high-profile October releases this year like Joker, the Watchmen series, etc that may have been occupying everyone's attention).

I plan on watching the original Halloween tonight with the wife and then following that up with the 2018 Halloween (which I haven't seen since it was in theaters last year) as a nice little double feature. And speaking of double features, I did get in my annual Great Pumpkin/Garfield Halloween viewing a few nights back, which is always mandatory in October for me every year.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2019 at 09:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by the goon

I've enjoyed American Horror Story over the years, but I agree that the show tends to be guilty of trying to pull off some kind of twist or swerve mid-season, which then kind of derails things (like when they killed Twisty the clown off a few episodes into Freak Show). I am enjoying the current season though and it's fun to see the series tackle the 1980's slasher genre, since they've never done that before.

And I got my first horror movie of October in last night, watching Candyman for the very first time (as a horror fan for 30+ years, don't ask me how I've to never seen it up until now). I enjoyed it, but it definitely felt like an early 90's horror film, just with the fashion styles, people smoking in every other scene, etc. And tone-wise, it reminded me of Child's Play, which is kind of funny since both of those movies take place in Chicago.

Also, I had no idea that Candyman was based on a Clive Barker story until seeing it in the opening credits.

I fell woefully behind and am trying to finish this off now. Did you guys finish it? I think I only have 4 episodes left but this is......not going well.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2019 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched the whole thing and I thought it was okay, but it definitely wasn't one of my favorite seasons of AHS. My biggest issue is that they've done the "ghosts stuck in purgatory" thing at least twice before, so it just felt like a retread to me. Plus from the initial teaser trailers I thought this season was going to be like an 80's slasher flick, but it just wasn't that.

Also, I don't really get how ghosts in the AHS universe work. It seems weird to me that they're able to interact and kill living people, and there's never any explanation given as to why that is (at least that I can recall).

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2019 at 11:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I watched the whole thing and I thought it was okay, but it definitely wasn't one of my favorite seasons of AHS. My biggest issue is that they've done the "ghosts stuck in purgatory" thing at least twice before, so it just felt like a retread to me. Plus from the initial teaser trailers I thought this season was going to be like an 80's slasher flick, but it just wasn't that.

Also, I don't really get how ghosts in the AHS universe work. It seems weird to me that they're able to interact and kill living people, and there's never any explanation given as to why that is (at least that I can recall).

Just got to the part where they realize theyíre ghosts. Was wondering why people were getting killed in droves with half the season still left. Seems weird but I guess Iíll finish it.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-5-2019 at 10:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how the final group equals 13. Similar to [spoiler] especially in the scene where they kill [spoiler].
salmonjunkie

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 12-5-2019 at 05:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I never ended up finishing the season. I think the last episode I saw was when the black kid left the white kid for dead in the pit after he confessed about killing the Asian kid who rushed his fraternity, and then they saved the white kid, and the black kid got his head cut off by Mr. Jingles on the bike.

That was amusing. Should I finish it?

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-6-2019 at 06:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I never ended up finishing the season. I think the last episode I saw was when the black kid left the white kid for dead in the pit after he confessed about killing the Asian kid who rushed his fraternity, and then they saved the white kid, and the black kid got his head cut off by Mr. Jingles on the bike.

That was amusing. Should I finish it?

If had a different kind of twist mid season. It was kind of a jumbled mess but kind of enjoyable but kind of odd. I just burned through the last 4 this week and enjoyed it enough.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top