GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!
Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (September 17, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-17-2019 at 10:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (September 17, 2019)

Tonight on SmackDown: we get Tuesday night's attempt at juggling the Dual Balls of (1) SD moving to FOX and (2) the Hell in a Cell PPV... RAW already claimed ownership of 2 Cell matches, and it's doubtful there will be more than 2 on the PPV, so SD is kind of lagging behind.... however, that will almost certainly be addressed by a Re-Draftening process and a revamped roster taking shape immediately after said PPV....

WWE Champ Kofi Kingston is notably without a clearcut challenger after he once against survived against Randy Orton... but just as notable is the fact that Orton's Good Squad, the Revival, beat Big E & Woods for the tag titles, so they will be continuing their rivalry in the short terms... more than likely, Kofi's just awaiting the inevitable FOX-ification of Brock Lesnar as his next serious challenger, but in the meantime, tonight we get the long-simmering 6-man match we've been waiting for: the New Day vs. Orton/Revival.... should be a quality main event...

Likewise, Bayley may or may not be done with Charlotte as the #1 Contender to her Women's Title, but regardless, the duo are still intertwined in the crossbrand story of Boss & Hug vs. Charlotte & Becky (one in which Becky's move to SD has already been telegraphed by FOX's advertising)....

IC Champ Shinsuke Nakamura and his hype man Sami Zayn prevailed over Miz last night, which means Miz goes back to RAW (where he will stay, since no way USA wants to be promoting a FOX star on "Miz and Mrs." if they don't have to)... and a new #1 Contender is needed.... I've been calling for Aleister Black for a while, anyone else got a better name?

Two other major stories:

Luke Harper returned to WWE to assist Erick Rowan in getting a win over Roman Reigns on Sunday night... it's expected that, at least in the short term, Daniel Bryan will emerge as a good guy who offers to team with Reigns...

And Kevin Owens is "fired" after not being a crooked enough referee for Shane McMahon's tastes.... no one expects that to last (hell, Shane himself "struck a WWE official" last week as part of his tantrum against Owens, which is the very thing Shane holds against Owens), but look for it to be addressed tonight in a way that allows Owens the freedom to show up in NXT on Wednesday night's debut episode.....

Oh, and also some guy will be showing up to get a new wardrobe (and yes, "new wardrobe" is pretty much the only half-convincing case I've heard from anybody for why you would ever make Boring Carbon the King of the Ring).... whee.....

That is all. End communication...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1520
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 9-18-2019 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I also say "no" to this.

Hey, my jacket.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8055
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 9-18-2019 at 01:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Called it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1725
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 9-18-2019 at 01:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OK, a lot of us saw Brock Lesnar coming as the next challenger for the WWE Title, but him having his first free TV match in more than 15 years qualifies as something of a surprise.
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7954
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-18-2019 at 01:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I for one was ready for Orton to win the title at SummerSlam. If Fox wants Brock on SmackDown and he is only there every other month? That will suck.

But if he is there most weeks...if he wrestles at every Network Special...if he gets to pick who he fights like AJ, Bryan, and Balor and gives us good matches?

That will not suck.

Itís a big IF...but if there was ever a time when Brock would be a mostly full time guy again, now is it.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1520
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 9-18-2019 at 02:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is totally meant to replicate that time Stone Cold held Vince at gunpoint in the ring, right? It FEELS like it.

Edit: So, I'd say Gable still basically wins King of the Ring at this point. Or something like that.

[Edited on 9-18-2019 by Il Palazzo]

Hey, my jacket.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7954
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-18-2019 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So the payoff is a lamer KOTR than Billy fucking Gunn? Ugh.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: COVIDmania

posted on 9-18-2019 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you Lil' Kurt. Thank you.

ďA wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youíre afraid of.Ē - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1520
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 9-18-2019 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dear god, Otis with just trunks is.............. a lot of Otis. He seems to have evolved to his Chippendale Chris Farley form.

Hey, my jacket.

lz4005
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1703
Registered 11-12-2003

Mood: Oolitic

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
Dear god, Otis with just trunks is.............. a lot of Otis.

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2527
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jumping ahead a bit...
If Brock wins on Oct 4 (and he almost certainly will)
And Bray wins at Hell In a Cell (Less certain, but likely)

That means we get...Brock vs. the Fiend at Survivor Series?!?

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
Dear god, Otis with just trunks is.............. a lot of Otis. He seems to have evolved to his Chippendale Chris Farley form.

That was already Otis' vibe, but now he has truly become his best self, and anybody who has lived long enough to be an SNL fan at some point who has watched even a single "Best of" retrospective cannot think of anything else when they see Otis.

Which is good for getting eyeballs on Otis, and now, it's up to those two dudes to keep delivering the goods from bell to bell, so we all start thinking of other things, instead.

That wasn't much of a main event, and the solution is almost painfully simple: invert Bryan's promo and the 6-man/Lesnar-reveal. Whatever you lose in terms of lost #hashtags (and honestly, who saw "Lesnar returns" on social media, and then immediately rushed to a TV to watch the rest of SD? Exactly zero people is my guess), you'd make up for in terms of having an actual narrative climax. Smark Hate aside, Lesnar really is quite a big, needle-moving deal, especially for his first free TV match in over 15 years.

The Bludgeon Boyz half-wrecking-up the place in the opening segment would have been problematic, I guess, but it's also not like they really did THAT much damage. THAT SET STILL HAS ONE WEEK TO GO BEFORE RETIREMENT, DAMMIT!!!!

[Total side bar: I'd noticed the uptick in offense performed on the apron, and was always kind of upset at myself for enjoying it so much because of the "hardest part of the ring" issue. Also, it seemed like it would be way easier to mess up a move, because it's the skinniest part of the ring.... Rowan ripping off the LED Board Cushion twice in a row has kind of disabused me of my guilt. The LED Board cushion not only adds 4-6 inches of "width" to the apron area, but it adds plenty of padding that I was previously unaware of. Yours In Noticing The Pointless Shit For 20+ Years, The Me....]

Maybe WWE is taking that whole "new wardrobe" thing for Corbin a step further? The 15 year old robe and crown aren't stupid enough looking, so they are going to make him his own custom Stupid Looking Gear, maybe?

Owens suing Shane for $25m is, speaking of that, just stupid enough to work. It's such an outrageous sum (and short of Owens immediately turning heel and cosplaying as Ted DiBiase, it doesn't even fit his character) that you know that isn't gonna be the payoff.... but it keeps you invested for when the payoff does happen, and the idea of Shane being banished from SD seems like Owens' real goal, one which is more attainable.

I guess tonight buys Ali a few more weeks as an ostensible IC challenger? I love the guy, but this is, like, the 3rd or 4th time they've done the set-up and he came up short, so why are we pretending the result will be different now that Shinsuke is rocking it with Zayn as his hype man? Oh well....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Planet Starbucks
And I am AWESOME

Posts 130
Registered 1-28-2013
Location England

Mood: Medicated

posted on 9-18-2019 at 07:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Jumping ahead a bit...

Indeed. Could be great on paper, but the absolute last thing I want to see right now is Bray's momentum and mystique no sold by Bork. Interesting quandary.

Also, are we absolutely sure that they are going to shat all over Kofi's title reign like that? Probably, unless they pull something more creative and out of left field, like a double turn where Woods and E do whatever is necessary to keep the title on Kofi.......

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
If you want a vision of the WWE's future, imagine an overpushed Samoan stamping on a human face - forever. George Orwell, 2016 (sequel to 1984)

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8361
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 9-18-2019 at 08:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fox-- "We demand on Lesnar being Smackdown exclusive, as we want the weekly ratings boost."

USA Network-- "LOL"

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 9-18-2019 at 02:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I caught the last 20 minutes or so, and I haven't watched Smackdown in ages.

Heavy Machinery reminds me of one of those 1980/90's team like the Natural Disasters or the Godwins. Tucker is terrible, but Otis has enough charisma for both of them.

Bryan's promo seemed off. Rowan's promo was pretty garbage, but I expect more from Bryan. It seemed too rehearsed and didn't feel genuine.

Luke Harper lost a ton of weight, but didn't seem to put on any muscle. What's his deal?

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Accipiter
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 78
Registered 2-24-2006
Location Richmond, VA

Mood:

posted on 9-18-2019 at 06:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Bryan's promo seemed off. Rowan's promo was pretty garbage, but I expect more from Bryan. It seemed too rehearsed and didn't feel genuine.

Even Kevin Owens' promo seemed way too rehearsed, he was fumbling over easy stuff.

-Followed Rule #12 for 12 years

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3398
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 9-18-2019 at 10:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Planet Starbucks
quote:
Jumping ahead a bit...

Indeed. Could be great on paper, but the absolute last thing I want to see right now is Bray's momentum and mystique no sold by Bork. Interesting quandary.

Also, are we absolutely sure that they are going to shat all over Kofi's title reign like that? Probably, unless they pull something more creative and out of left field, like a double turn where Woods and E do whatever is necessary to keep the title on Kofi.......

Iím still days behind on DVR but my apps spoiled everything already so I may as well chime in.

I think Kofi should lose. Lose fair. Lose tough but lose clean in a fantastic match-up. No break-ups or shenanigans. Kofi has done miracles with his championship reign and should be commended for it. And his commendation ... winning the Royal Rumble.

Kofi deserves it. He can then challenge Brock to a rematch at WrestleMania BAYBEEEE and win it in the final match of next yearís WrestleMania. Simple, easy, great. Now just donít get injured and thereís your main story for the next 6 months.

Edit - the following 6 months can then see Brock go on vacation and they can transition to a New Day vs Undisputed Era feud based around the preposterous premise of BAYBAY being better than BAYBEEEE!!! Itís wrestling. This isnít that hard.

[Edited on 9-18-2019 by DKBroiler]

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-19-2019 at 04:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Planet Starbucks
quote:
Jumping ahead a bit...

Brock/Bray is definitely intriguing (and I hadn't even thought of that possibility until GodEatGod mentioned it), but I just don't see how you book it. The Fiend needs to be kept super strong and menacing, and that ain't gonna happen with Brock suplexing him all over the ring for ten minutes. On the flipside of that, I really don't see the Fiend dominating Brock for entire match, so I'm thinking it'd be best to keep those two apart.

Of course, the WWE could always just scrap the "champion vs champion" deal from Survivor Series this year (since that's only been a thing for what, a couple of years?) and that could be their out if both Brock and Bray are champions come November.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4284
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood:

posted on 9-19-2019 at 04:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think WWE will ditch the RAW vs SD element of Survivor Series for this year. SD on FOX would just be finding it's footing by the time we hit November.

[Edited on 9-19-2019 by First 9]

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 860
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 9-19-2019 at 06:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goonOf course, the WWE could always just scrap the "champion vs champion" deal from Survivor Series this year (since that's only been a thing for what, a couple of years?) and that could be their out if both Brock and Bray are champions come November.

Still donít understand why Survivor Seeies has turned into a clash of leveled champions and Clash of Champions is just another PPV but every title is on the line so letís see who survives with their belt intact. Like DK just said, this shit ainít hard.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top