GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!
Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: WWE Clash of Champions (September 15, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-15-2019 at 09:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PPV DISCUSSION: WWE Clash of Champions (September 15, 2019)

Of all WWE's "gimmick" PPVs, Clash of Champions is uniquely.... ununique, I guess. It's usually just a procedural where titles must be defended, and maybe there are compelling storylines, and maybe not.

But tonight, there is an added element of intrigue, as we're now less than a month away from an Actual For Realz This Time We MEAN It Draft that will reset the RAW and SD rosters in such a way that SD will genuinely be RAW's equal, or else there will be hell to pay with FOX.

Shuffling the titles is step one, because it's always easiest to move non-champions (as opposed to the charade of moving one champion and then -- surprise surprise -- the equivalent champ on the other brand comes back in exchange), and at the very least, we've already seen RAW Women's Champ Becky Lynch featured prominently in the advertising for SD's move to FOX.

But I digress. First, let's take a look at the full card of 10 scheduled title matches, 1 non-title match, and 1 set of hijinx:

SETH ROLLINS vs. BRAUN STROWMAN (WWEU Title Match)
KOFI KINGSTON vs. RANDY ORTON (WWE Title Match)
BECKY LYNCH vs. SASHA BANKS (RAW Women's Title Match)
BAYLEY vs. CHARLOTTE (SD Women's Title Match)
AJ STYLES vs. CEDRIC ALEXANDER (US Title Match)
SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. THE MIZ (IC Title Match)
BIG E & EGGSAVIER WOODS vs. THE REVIVAL (SD Tag Title Match)
SETH ROLLINS & BRAUN STROWMAN vs. DOLPH ZIGGLER & ROBERT ROODE (RAW Tag Title Match)
ALEXA BLISS & NIKKI CROSS vs. SONYA DEVILLE & MANDY ROSE (Women's Tag Title Match)
DREW GULAK vs. LINCE DORADO vs. HUMBERTO CARILLO (Cruiserweight Title Match)
R-TRUTH vs. THE WORLD (Inevitable 24/7 Title Shenanigans)
ROMAN REIGNS vs. ERICK ROWAN (No DQ Match)

It's worth noting that there's buzz about some kind of crazy stunt/spot under consideration for the Reigns/Rowan No DQ Match that would require it to go on last, as the main event, so take that for whatever it's worth. Reigns either gets the win, or there is some major storyline swerve to give Rowan a tainted victory.

WWEU Title Match seems like the WAY more obvious choice for a headliner, especially given the looming presence of #1 Contender Bray Wyatt and how awesome an appearance from The Fiend would be.... regardless, I've got Seth as the favorite to retain, if only because that's the match I want to see inside a Cell next month. But in "WWE Think" you have to leave the door open for Braun having to fight against his old mentor because reasons...

I can't come up with a single good reason for Kofi not to retain.

Both women's titles seem likely to change hands. On top of a Becky being easier to ship over to SD without a title, it seems like anything other than Charlotte winning the title IN CHARLOTTE (site of tonight's PPV) would result in quite a pissed-off crowd. But we'll see...

Cedric's a great plucky underdog, but I think you ride with AJ Styles as the champ and keep the Club at the forefront (unless the plan is to move them to SD)... the new pairing of Shinsuke and Sami Zayn is too new (and too awesome) to sink them this early on, so no need to change the IC belt, either.

And on the tag front: the obvious story for RAW is dissension between Rollins and Strowman causes them to lose the belts to Roode/Ziggler, but is it TOO obvious? I dunno.... conversely, the SD tag titles are a complete coin flip as near as I can tell; I'd like to see the Revival take 'em, just because the New Day are teflon, but it's harder and harder for the Revival to bounce back every time WWE beats them.... you'd think Alexa and Nikki are shoe-ins to retain until they finally drop in the (inevitable?) heel turn by Bliss, and so far there's been zero signs of that, so....

That's all I got.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-15-2019 at 10:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I live in Charlotte and was really torn about going to Clash of Champions tonight, but ultimately opted not to go. I'm headed to the beach on Thursday for five days, so just didn't want to spend $100+ on a ticket, beers, transportation, etc for tonight's show before my trip (not to mention that while the card is really solid, there isn't really an "OMG I have to see this live" match for me).

But I digress. My picks/thoughts:

Seth Rollins vs Braun Strowman: I'm intrigued to see where they go with this...does Seth already drop the belt after triumphantly winning it back from Lesnar? Does Braun job for the millionth time in a PPV Universal title match? Does the Fiend interfere? Either way, I think Seth/Wyatt makes a lot more sense next month than Braun/Wyatt, so I'll go with the champ to retain.

Kofi Kingston vs Randy Orton: It would make sense for Kofi to win and finally vanquish Orton, but for some reason I have a feeling that Orton wins tonight and this storyline gets drawn out for another month or two. So I'll pick Orton to win and Kofi regains the title next month.

Roman Reigns vs Erick Rowan: If this had been Reigns/Bryan instead of Reigns/Rowan, I might have been more inclined to buy a ticket for tonight's show. And like Rick mentioned, I've read the rumors of this being the main event, so I'll go with Rowan to win in some kind of screwy fashion (with maybe Bryan being revealed as the mastermind in all of this or something).

Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks: You could flip a coin here, but I think Becky finally drops the belt tonight and then we get a HIAC rematch between these two next month. And hopefully Sasha gets a run with the RAW women's title that lasts for more than 30 seconds.

Bayley vs Charlotte: Given that this is in Charlotte's hometown, I'm sure she's going to be way over in this match. But I'm going to go with Bayley to retain, as her and Sasha as dual heel champs makes sense.

Nakamura vs The Miz: Part of me thinks that the WWE might want the Miz to eclipse Jericho's number of IC title reigns, so I'm picking him to win here. Also, I think this match has sleeper potential.

AJ Styles vs Cedric Alexander: I think this is going your typical "underdog babyface puts on a good showing before ultimately losing" type of match, so I'm picking AJ to retain.

Seth Rollins and Braun Strowman vs Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode: I'm kind of torn here, because on the one hand Rollins/Strowman aren't going to be long-term champions. On the other hand, it seems kind of early to put the belts on Ziggler/Roode, considering they weren't even a team three weeks ago. I guess I'll go with the heels though, just because you have to get the belts off of Rollins/Strowman sooner rather than later.

The New Day vs The Revival: The New Day have long since passed the point of needing the tag titles, and there seems to be more you can do with the Revival as champions, so I'll go with them to win the belts tonight.

Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross vs Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville: Give me Alexa/Nikki to retain.

Drew Gulak vs Lince Dorado vs Humberto Carillo: Just like every PPV, I don't follow 205 Live enough to make an educated pick, so give me Drew to retain.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-16-2019 at 12:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I assume Seth taking the pin means he's not dropping the title later on tonight to Braun.

And 30 minutes in and zero discussion so far? The interest level must be low for this one (or everyone is watching football).

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7954
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-16-2019 at 12:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Interest is low, and Iím 4/4 for picks.

Plus Charlotte and Bayley was kind of a turd of a match.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: COVIDmania

posted on 9-16-2019 at 12:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm making dinner and waiting for the real show start time at 8PM EDT.

ETA: Pretty sure I can hear Corey's dong hitting the underside of the announce table.

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by janerd75]

ďA wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youíre afraid of.Ē - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-16-2019 at 12:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie

5/5 here at the moment. And yeah, I don't really get why Charlotte/Bayley was so short.

EDIT: Damn does Alexa pull off that Harley Quinn look nicely.

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by the goon]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11105
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

Mood: Branch Covidian

posted on 9-16-2019 at 01:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pretty sure that the highlight of any PPV would be if Charly and Kayla met backstage and started kissing. That's because both of them tonight are just

quote:

The camera catching the bald guy at ringside yawning in front of a "woooooo" sign just as Charlotte enters doesn't help these things at all. Disagree on your assessment of the match though. It was short but it succeed in further cementing the Bayley turn. Insincere Smilin' Bayley has a good vibe to her. I always felt if she embraced the dark side she could be as hateful as a politician and from what I've seen so far I haven't been disappointed.

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
I'm making dinner and waiting for the real show start time at 8PM EDT.

Next pathetic Dem debate to determine which one of those goddamn wimps Trump will use like a plastic fuck-doll next November is on tonight?

quote:
ETA: Pretty sure I can hear Corey's dong hitting the underside of the announce table.

*whispers* JANNY!, err, MANDY!

I'm giving all the women's matches a cumulative 4 out of 5 because there wasn't a single thing in any of them that wasn't complete fun. Bayley shitheeling. Non-stop energy in the tag match. And as close to old school Stone Cold-esque brutality in Lynch/Banks. Not a single bad step that I could see in any of those matches. Just pure fun through and through.

[Edited on 9/16/2019 by Paddlefoot]

Whoever said one person can't change the world never accounted for the guy who ate an undercooked bat.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 811
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 9-16-2019 at 02:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
And 30 minutes in and zero discussion so far? The interest level must be low for this one (or everyone is watching football).

I couldn't get my PS4 to sign in.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6462
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: COVIDmania

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
LUKE! LUKE! LUKE!

ďA wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youíre afraid of.Ē - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9131
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Very happy with what just happened.

Don't Mess With Texas

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2819
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Very happy to see Harper back. Iíve almost talked myself into Rowan vs Kofi as something i want to see.

OO's only mammal penguin

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9131
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lukeís return plus Fiend ending have me net happy and putting this in the positive column.

Don't Mess With Texas

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2819
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Lukeís return plus Fiend ending have me net happy and putting this in the positive column.

Same.

OO's only mammal penguin

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4484
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It is very strange, indeed, that a cameo by The Fiend is the thing that takes us from the realm of "meh, seemed like a Monday night show to me" to "OK, I'll call that a win." The Fiend has had cameos on pretty much every Monday for 2 months, how does that make this show better than a Monday?

I dunno. But also: I agree with y'all. Wacky how that works.

IC, WWE, and WWEU matches were all solid, but unspecial. Becky/Sasha actually struck me as a notch better than "solid," but something about that ending was wicked botched in terms of selling/communicating it (and it was kind of lame even if you got the story across). Harper's return was really the only major thing that counts as a narrative step forward; short term, Bryan steps up as Reigns' partner right? But long term, is Bryan conning Reigns? I dunno, but if the long term involves Reigns/Usos vs. Bryan/Bludgeons, I have many moneys WWE can help themselves to.

And hey: no major fuck-ups, either! So toss in some sweet sweet Bray on top of the "meh," and I guess we have to give WWE a nod of approval? Sure, why not....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The last two matches featured Reigns, Seth, Bray, Braun, Harper, and Rowan. That was like the Shield/Wyatts revisited.

Some other random thoughts:

-Rollins now has clean wins (back to back, no less) over Brock and Braun. That's some pretty damn strong booking. Loved him busting the Pedigree out too to put away Braun.

-Speaking of Braun, that guy is now like 0-2,398 in Universal title matches. I'm thinking he should be shipped off to Smackdown in the draft next month, because I don't really know what else there is for him to do on RAW.

-That was a hell of a pop for the Fiend's appearance and it'll be interesting to see how Bray/the Fiend is used in an actual Universal title feud. And I think he's gotta be a lock to win the belt next month, because I don't see him losing in his second match plus the gimmick is pretty red hot at the moment.

-At this point, I'm wondering who's going to dethrone Kofi for the WWE title. He's gone through Bryan, Ziggler, Joe, and Orton and I don't really know who is left on Smackdown to challenge him (though there is the draft next month, so it very well could be someone coming over from the RAW roster).

-I enjoyed tonight's show overall, but I can't say that I regret not being there live. It would have been cool to see the Fiend's appearance and Harper's return, but otherwise I was content to watch this one on my couch.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7954
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really question Kofi going in to Friday Night SmackDown as champ. Just seems like Orton would be a better fit there.

Also Alexa and Nikki work well. I hope they donít get split up in the draft.

Speaking of...Bray should be champ, and HIAC takes place prior to the draft. So Iím thinking SmackDown gets Rollins, Becky, Braun, Miz, Mysterio, and keeps folks like Charlotte, Bayley and Roman. Possibly Lesnar gets moved as well.

RAW will get Bray, Bryan, Black, Andrade, Ali, Carmella and Truth. Guys like Ricochet, Black, Andrade, Ali, Cesaro, and AJ will make RAW the ďwrestlingĒ show, with AOP, Viking Raiders, Lucha House Party, Usos, and OC being featured in the tag ranks. I could also see the Womenís tag belts becoming RAW exclusive. Mandy & Sonya, Alexa/Nikki, Asuka/Sane, and the IIcOOnics are enough for a division, and you can always have some one step up from those 8 (plus Carmella) to challenge Sasha for the RAW Womenís title.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2527
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-16-2019 at 05:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Very solid show, even if nothing was super spectacular. I feel like they've somehow found their groove with the pacing issue - the show went by really fast and I was surprised when we were down to only a few matches left.

I'm a Shield mark and a Wyatt mark, so obviously I was pretty happy with the last two matches. While Bray is best to stay solo (the Fiend doesn't need flunkies), how terrifying would it be if all four of those guys got back together NOW?

The Bayley thing worked for me. Super sneaky heel thing, so sneaky I didn't even realize what happened until the replay.

Sasha/Becky was good, but clearly just a beginning and setting them up for a Cell match next month.

I know making Xavier tap was a heel move, but boy, the Revival still looked like morons ignoring an obvious pin to take the risk and slap on a submission.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-16-2019 at 05:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
While Bray is best to stay solo (the Fiend doesn't need flunkies), how terrifying would it be if all four of those guys got back together NOW?

I thought about that as well tonight. Obviously, we won't see any kind of Wyatt Family reunion for a long time, but a faction consisting of the current incarnations of those four guys? That would be like Hogan/Nash/Hall/Giant original nWo levels of dominance.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11105
Registered 1-19-2008
Location fucko-ville

Mood: Branch Covidian

posted on 9-16-2019 at 06:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I guess we can put all those old rumours over the past few months about Luke being in major shit with Vince or requesting his release down as just IWC tripe. Ditto with Sasha. WWE is not going to hot-shot anyone they've been mad at recently into major angles, period. For all any of us know this is how WWE's opted to give the talent time off to recover from injuries or just to get some rest. And, given how invulnerable WWE seems to be to any of the nonsense that happens on social media (combined with how cunning they are at using the internet for their own ends), if it comes off of the internet from a non-WWE source then the smart thing to do is to regard it as clickbait BS from those "influencers" trying to make their bones by hitching their wagon to the WWE machine. I don't like being played by WWE any more than anyone else does. That being said I hate being lied to by idiots on the internet even more.

Sasha said it best recently by simply asking if anyone had any actual footage of her lying down on the floor of the dressing room or in the hallway of a hotel in protest of the IIconics winning the tag belts at Mania. Which is a good question because with every cocksucker on the planet carrying a damn camera-phone around now a photo of her doing something like that would have been trending #1 on Twitter within minutes of it happening. Turns out that the "crap" part of any rumours thread is really the only important part of all this babble at all.

Whoever said one person can't change the world never accounted for the guy who ate an undercooked bat.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 860
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 9-16-2019 at 08:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kind of a ho-hum PPV. Canít really remember one memorable thing and I just watched it. Bray at the end stands out. I guess. Oh, and I guess Harperís signed. (Edit: Seems Iím not alone)

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
The camera catching the bald guy at ringside yawning in front of a "woooooo" sign just as Charlotte enters doesn't help these things at all.

Haha, I noticed that, too.

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by CVD39]

CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1959
Registered 7-20-2011

Mood: PrestonC76

posted on 9-16-2019 at 09:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I assume Seth taking the pin means he's not dropping the title later on tonight to Braun.

Its a bit later, only 18 comments on the thread, but I can assure you I wasnít watching either.

Also: Ewwww non-predetermined sports.

Oney Lorcan Guy

BC
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1811
Registered 3-30-2002
Location in the bush

Mood: Blessed be

posted on 9-16-2019 at 10:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

5/5 here at the moment. And yeah, I don't really get why Charlotte/Bayley was so short.

EDIT: Damn does Alexa pull off that Harley Quinn look nicely.

[Edited on 9-16-2019 by the goon]

I work at Charlotte-Douglas airport and Bayley came into my store Saturday night. We talked for a bit and I can tell you she was sick as a dog. Probably why the match wasnt very good. She was concerned about how she'd be able to perform

ulsterphil
Fella

Posts 397
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Northern Ireland

Mood:

posted on 9-16-2019 at 11:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
-Speaking of Braun, that guy is now like 0-2,398 in Universal title matches. I'm thinking he should be shipped off to Smackdown in the draft next month, because I don't really know what else there is for him to do on RAW.

-That was a hell of a pop for the Fiend's appearance and it'll be interesting to see how Bray/the Fiend is used in an actual Universal title feud. And I think he's gotta be a lock to win the belt next month, because I don't see him losing in his second match plus the gimmick is pretty red hot at the moment.

-At this point, I'm wondering who's going to dethrone Kofi for the WWE title. He's gone through Bryan, Ziggler, Joe, and Orton and I don't really know who is left on Smackdown to challenge him (though there is the draft next month, so it very well could be someone coming over from the RAW roster).

- I feel sorry for Braun in a way. I've remarked before how he was booked to be above the 2nd tier title but not enough to be a world champ and its been that way now for 2 years. With the Fiend marking a mark on Rollins now, it looks like Braun will go back to booking limbo. On the bright side, his booking isn't bad per se, its just a epitome of "meh".

- As for Fiend/Rollins, I really hope they don't put the title on Wyatt. The appeal in the Fiend is the unpredictability and to carry that on he cant be making weekly appearances as champ. I mean, you could put the belt on him and try and keep that mystique but that means going back to Brock-level appearances and everyone is pretty tired of that.

What I would love to see for something new, is a match where the Fiend has Rollins beaten, just needs to make the pin. Lights go out and when they come back on, hes gone. Just Rollins in lying the ring, the belt next to him and the referee has no option but to count Wyatt out as he has vanished. I would be interested in the direction of spooky shit after that, Rollins continuing to make defences of the title all the while looking over his shoulder until Wyatt surfaces again.

- Excellent point on Kofi getting booked strongly, there's no real viable challengers for him now on SD. HiaC is in three weeks too so there's not really time to build up an unexpected challenger for him either. I reckon he will probably end up teaming with Reigns against Harper/Rowan until someone comes over in the draft.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8055
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

The answer is Brock. Fox wants him. Fox gets him as champ.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Who called for the DQ on Becky if the referee was knocked out?

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top