The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where Are We with DC's Streaming Service?
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7441
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 9-5-2019 at 08:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Where Are We with DC's Streaming Service?

I just picked up Doom Patrol on my X-Box and it is amazing. I know that it airs exclusively on DC's streaming platform, but I don't know that I'm willing to commit to watch one show weekly. Does anyone have the streaming service and, if so, is it worth it?

[Edited on 9-5-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-5-2019 at 09:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It’s not available in Canada.

Worse is they’ve put shows on different networks and services. Fucking bunch of idiots.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 9-6-2019 at 11:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Count me as someone who didn't even know DC had a streaming service.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7441
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 9-6-2019 at 06:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I only lucked into Doom Patrol when I was looking for new TV shows to get into while I was on my XBox. When I looked to see what channel it aired on, that's when I discovered DC has its own service. I didn't notice a free trial or anything, but (and again, I will hype this show for a while) Doom Patrol is one of the best new shows I've watched in a while. I know there's a Titans show out there that seems to have good reviews around it and that they introduced a Swamp Thing TV show that got canceled an episode in (by its own parent company, which is weird), but I don't really want to step into another subscription fee when Disney+ is coming (which I assume is just a necessity for anyone who has or watches small children for more than three hours).

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1772
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City
Member Is Online

Mood: Bitey

posted on 9-7-2019 at 01:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've had it since they started on the X-Box, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. 74 for the entire year was too good a price to pass up. I have to say if I'd only had either an X-Box or an Ipad I would've probably not liked it as much. But being able to stream on the TV and later when I want to just read through the vast library of comics they have is really nice.

I really dug Titans and think it just premiered today for season 2 so I'm looking forward to that. Swamp Thing was great, it did get cancelled after 1 episode aired, but they aired the entire first season they had. Even knowing that we watched it and weren't disappointed in it. Doom Patrol's been on my list to watch for a while now but I haven't gotten about to it.

Currently none of the Arrowverse stuff is on there, and they seem to rotate in some of the classic live movies (Like Keaton Batman, Reeves Superman, etc.) I don't think any of the newer live stuff has been on there but I could be wrong. There's probably a lot of rights issues that prevent some of the DC stuff from being on there. A minor quibble on the comics is you can favorite an issue, but not a series, at least as far as I know and it's a bit annoying.

The animated movies are all fun to watch, at least for me. As much as DC seems to be hit or miss on the live action movies compared to marvel, they always seem to do a bang up job on the animated ones, with a few exceptions here and there.

Overall I think if you're a fan of the complete thing (The comics, the animated shows from the 90s/2000s, the animated movies, and the live shows) then it's a great subscription. If you just want some new live shows, it may not be worth it.

Quantum Fetish Mechanics: The act of thinking up a new type of fetish causes that fetish to exist. Someone probably has a website dedicated to it. Schrodinger's cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by peanut butter and elbows.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4565
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-7-2019 at 06:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My understanding is the reason they cooled on the DC streaming service; be it not expanding internationally and slowing their roll on new shows, is that it's less a DC thing, and more an AT&T Time Warner thing. Basically with Netflix being a juggernaut, and other entities like Prime and Disney on the rise, Time Warner wants a cut of the action; the question all along has been what shape that would take... Remember Warner has a crazy massive library of movies and TV themselves, to say nothing about them through their various mergers owning HBO, Cinemax, DC Comics and other stuff... So the buzz going around is that they didn't want to push too hard with yet another platform (in this case the DC one) being yet another competitor to whatever they are launching shortly... or at least taking an arrow out of their quiver (Only so many people are going to buy DC by itself, but more might buy the Warner platform now knowing it will have DC stuff on there).

This has lead to some business decisions like selling off their shows or co-partnering... the shows get distributed and build an audience, but will ultimately build up their library as well. Other stuff like Swamp Thing seem to be the victim of a company wide budget tightening... DC Comics itself has had a wack of layoffs, and it sounds like they were kinda luke warm on Swamp Thing but it was getting some big tax breaks for filming in (I think) one of the Carolinas, but when those tax breaks got yanked back they just axed the show right out of the gate... Which too me seems a bit dumb; like maybe wait and see if you've got a hit on your hands before announcing the show got axed; Kinda embarrassing when all your comic house ads touted the shows debut come out at the same time you find out it's off the air... not a big incentive to even check it out in the first place. Shame as it's supposed to be pretty good... Oh well, I guess we'll still always have the Wes Craven directed movie from the 80's and it's sillier follow up.

ETA: I forgot in the 90's there was also a Swamp Thing TV show... I never saw it, but it was supposed to have been decent.

[Edited on 9-7-2019 by Flash]

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7441
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 9-7-2019 at 11:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I did research (read: Google) into this a bit more today on their three shows (well, two active shows) and it looks like they're planning a new HBO-based streaming service next year called HBO Max that's going to include everything from DC, CW, and HBO (and also Friends). Since I'd only be watching the shows (and already have one season of the three full ones available), the DC service itself probably isn't that appealing for me (don't read comics and I already own all the animated stuff), but hopefully they keep this particular universe going. Just finished Doom Patrol and it somehow managed to keep getting better and better.

And so this thread isn't just a wall of text, here's a video that should give you a taste of how "off the wall" this should be. Context: the group has followed a villain named the Beard Hunter (a guy who gets in people's minds after eating their facial hair) to a sentient, gender queer street named Danny, and, with the help of 1950 superhero Flex Mentallo (who can bend the universe through flexing his muscles), they plan on finding their leader. And after checking, all three of those characters I just named are, in fact, real DC characters. This follows:

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top