The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (September 3, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4341
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-3-2019 at 10:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (September 3, 2019)

Tonight on SmackDown: we'll get basic maintenance on all our previously established title matches for the upcoming Clash of Champions PPV, two King of the Ring tourney matches, and the very latest twists and turns in the WrestleCrap that has become the Roman Reigns' Mystery Attacker story...

As I understand it, we are now to believe that (a) Erick Rowan did it without Daniel Bryan's knowledge, but also that (b) Rowan did it at the behest of some entirely different 3rd party who has not yet been revealed, so (c) Bryan isn't going away until he gets an apology from Reigns... while most expect the CoC PPV match to be Reigns vs. Bryan fighting over said Apology, WWE now appears to be pivoting to yet another "big reveal" in a storyline that has seen enough reveals flop already.... this is aiming to be right down there with "Welp, it turns out you didn't care about Rikishi driving the truck, may we interest you in who put him up to it, instead?"...

But we'll see.... Bryan's proximity to this stupidity means there are always plenty of ways it can be salvaged (or at least, his part in it -- such as a PPV match against Reigns -- will be good)...

Two KotR Quarterfinals tonight are [redacted] Ali vs. Elias, and Chad Gable vs. Andrade [redacted] [redacted].... I really don't see how we aren't headed to an all-redacted semi-finals, with Andrade as the favorite to advance (if for no other reason than I think he and Queen Vega have the best chance to make use of the King gimmick)... but regardless of a bit of anviliciousness, at least Gable and Andrade ought to have a hell of a match...

Kofi Kingston is defending the WWE Title against Randy Orton at the PPV, while Big E & Woods are defending the tag titles against the Revival.... so it's a happy coincidence that Orton and the Revival are now BFFs, and we can play around with factional warfare... so far, the evil trio have gotten the better of it, to the extent that both Woods and E were absent and selling injuries last week when Orton again laid a beating on Kofi... this feels like it might be the week for the New Day to be fully reconstituted so they can hold their own for once....

Women's Champ Bayley is defending against Charlotte at CoC.... but all of a sudden things have gone wacky, with Bayley pulling out a full-on heel turn last night, against her erstwhile tag partner (and RAW Women's Champ) Becky Lynch... here's what makes it wacky: the fans LOVED heel Bayley... add in the fact that Charlotte is also a narrative heel -- but one who actually gets booed -- and it's really gonna be interesting.... if there are no further crossovers for now, Bayley getting cheers while Charlotte gets boos will work otu simply enough.... but if Becky decides to come after Bayley, you very rapidly get into a situation where Charlotte needs to befriend Becky against the re-united heel version of the Boss & Hug Connection...

Miz is in line for a shot at IC Champ Shinsuke Nakamura, with Sami Zayn now fully in place as Shin's Designated Pot Stirrer... again, this week marks WWE's Observation of the 40th Anniversary of the IC Title, so you'd think they'd do something to really feature Nakamura to build up interest in the match tonight.... but given how remarkably invisible Shin has been while holding titles this year (IC now, the US for a run in the spring), you'd probably be thinking wrong...

And there's always 24/7 Champ Drake Maverick and the Bane of His Existence, R-Truth, should we need to fill up any additional time...

That is all. End communication...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-3-2019 at 11:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It is worth noting that Clash of Champions is happening in Charlotte's namesake and hometown, in the heart of Flair country, so, whatever reactions she gets in the build, she's probably getting cheered at the PPV itself.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4341
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-3-2019 at 11:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I definitely had not been considering that factor....

I agree that at least helps normalize the response at the PPV (depending on exactly what WWE's plans for "normal" are), but unless I miss my guess, Heel Bayley is gonna keep on being loved pretty hard, with external variables being (1) how involved Becky is and how loyal fans stay to Becky, and (2) how tightly Bayley is packaged with Sasha and how much Sasha can channel her heel heat onto Bayley.

With a Charlotte face-turn (or face-lean), I think the PPV audience will embrace her as the majority fan favorite.... but if they don't do anything, even her own hometown won't be much better than 50/50 in favor of her.

I reserve the right to re-do this entire opinion after reading tonight's audience, but I'm feeling good so far, after 24 hours of Bayley's turn....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 9-4-2019 at 12:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Geez O'Pete, can ya tell people have been waiting for something like this to happen? OG4HW: CIVIL WAR! YAAAAAAAAAS!

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10653
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 9-4-2019 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I always like it when they start a show with a "gentlemen, start your boners" segment.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 9-4-2019 at 12:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Damn fine Big Man/Mocha Midget match! Thanks Uncle Eric!

Also, FEETZ, FEETZ FEETZ!

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 9-4-2019 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All the flipping men are falling one after another.

On the plus side, we'll clearly end up with King Corbin, followed by the formation of his Royal Court: Elias, McIntyre, and a returning Lashley! WHAT WAS OLD IS NEW AGAIN. Or maybe Ricochet takes it. I actually feel in all seriousness that the outcome isn't all that clear currently. Seems like if this had taken place in the past year or two, it might've been easier to point at one person and say "that's the one, right there."

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10653
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 9-4-2019 at 12:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75

Also, FEETZ, FEETZ FEETZ!

Ayuh. Ayuh. Stay safe from the hurriwindy thingy, eh. Don't hesitate to use those wheelchairs as cover if you have to!

*whispers* MANDY!

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Guys. I think Orton called Kofi stupid.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, that's definitely better than the alternative. The more intense these promos with Randy and Kofi get the more it looks like a hate crime is about to occur.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
Well, that's definitely better than the alternative. The more intense these promos with Randy and Kofi get the more it looks like a hate crime is about to occur.

Well, they DO hate each other ...

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Where is the Street Profits commentary on Randall/Kofi when we need it?!

ETA: What in the living hell is going on tonight? Crowd is hotter'n shit and the match quality is like watching a gotdanged Takeover. 5/5 Gllys thusfar.

[Edited on 9-4-2019 by janerd75]

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey look! Aleister Black learned the value of leaving his mood lighting room!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seriously? We could have had Ali vs Andrade and instead we got Elias vs Gable? To quote one Mr Orton “STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!”

Elias is what...the 6th best male heel on SmackDown? Bryan, Orton, Andrade, Sami, and Nakamura are all more compelling characters, and vastly superior in the ring.

Also...stop having champions lose matches to set up a #1 contender. Alexa and Nikki should not be eating pins at this moment.

I need to go watch the opening again and/or watch the Tyler Bate vs WALTER 5 snowflake match from TakeOver Cardiff. Seriously, that match ruled.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Drake's 24/7 video game mode defense was great! Still love seeing Truth get it back though.

Also, is it just me but isn't that Cancer Belt Logo™ awful close to lookin' like Punk's starred ring gear?

Also2, SMOKE LEGAL DOOBAGE AND JUST ENJOY THE PREMIUM WRASSLIN' AND HOT CROWD YOU STUPID IDIOT CANADIENNE!

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 9-4-2019 at 01:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This crowd HAS been weirdly active. Which I suppose is definitely better than dead. They even did a B-Team chant after Bo won the 24/7 Title.

Also, I kind of wish the saga of Roman's many near-death experiences had continued rather than sort of gone sort of off the rails with the slow trickle of "THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED" moments. And now Rowan suddenly going into business for himself for...... reasons.

Edit: I'm also going to assume this ISN'T just a temporary bit of weirdness to throw Roman off guard by having Rowan and Bryan pretend to be against each other after Bryan was carefully placed upon the announcer table.

AND NOW A BUNCHA STUPID CHRISLEYS. SOMEONE GET THE FLAMETHROWER.

[Edited on 9-4-2019 by Il Palazzo]

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9466
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 9-4-2019 at 02:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really wish they'd stop trying to make Rowan happen.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-4-2019 at 02:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would not be surprised if they are trying to make Rowan happen out of pettiness towards Harper.

I would also not be surprised if Fox would like the “YES!” version of Bryan on Friday Night SmackDown!

As per the hot crowd...again I implore folks to look into NXT UK TakeOver Cardiff. THAT was a hot crowd.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4025
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 9-4-2019 at 02:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I skipped the show but checked Youtube to see the highlights. On the Gable vs Andrade match, somebody commented it that it felt like watching Kurt Angle vs Eddie Guerrero.

So I immediately searched out for the full match. The Three Amigos countered by the rolling germans made me smile.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top