The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vacation suggestion
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4558
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-28-2019 at 08:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Vacation suggestion

So I've been to Europe a few times now, and in cities like London and Paris I've done most of the major touristy stuff on prior visits, but am curious about anyone offering up some other sights to see...

Basically I have to be in Barcelona by a specific date in November as I'll be sailing out of there across the ocean and then flying home out of Florida.

Before that I haven't booked anything yet, but either Paris or London seem to be the cheapest to fly into from Toronto (although Lisbon isn't too bad either).

I was thinking of kind of a rough itinerary of...

*Fly into London, maybe stay a day or so.

*Train to Portsmouth... I'd like to maybe see the Victory or Naval museum.

*Ferry across the English channel from Portsmouth to Caen

*In Caen I can reach the Canadian war memorial/Juno beach

*Head to Rennes and from there head over to Mont Ste. Michel... kinda of a funky abby/commune on an island... it used to be a fort, and a prison... google it, it looks cool.

*Head into Paris for a couple of days... I've been in Paris twice and both times missed the Musee D'Orsay, so if I do go Paris that's one I'd like to see.

*Train to Barcelona, 2 weeks at sea.

Other than that any suggestions along the above route, or for anything else to check out is appreciated... Like I said Lisbon was one place I thought about checking out, maybe cross over to Morocco or Tangiers for a day or two.

I don't drink, so such and such a bar as a recommendation is appreciated, but not my cup of tea... More history or novelties.

*Nothing too pricey... I got lucky and cashed in a pile of air miles meaning my 2 week cruise and flight home were only like $850 Cad, otherwise I'd probably be going a bit more small scale... Like I love England, but the Canadian dollar to the GPB sucks hard right now.

Thanks!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12673
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-29-2019 at 02:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just stay in Spain, rent a car and drive from town to town. Spain is awesome.

I would fly in to Lisbon, check out a town or two in Portugal and head in to Spain and take a drive through Madrid, Seville, Granada, Valencia, and finally hit Barcelona.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 9-1-2019 at 02:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you want to go to Iceland, just say the word and I'll give you tons of advice.

I did the entire 'ring road' a year ago and it was fucking awesome. There's not much in the way of major cities to check out, so it's mostly just sight seeing mother nature, which is fucking crazy in Iceland.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4649
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 9-2-2019 at 04:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Canadian dollar will probably be worth more than the British pound by the time you go over there. A no-deal Brexit on October 31 ought to ensure that the pound crashes on November 1.

That said, I like Salmonjunkie's recommendation. It has the added benefit of warmer weather.

Alternatively, if you want to spend time in France, you could fly to Nice and make your way over to Barcelona from there. I could recommend plenty of cool little towns and places to see in the south of France.

[Edited on 9-2-2019 by Slade]

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 9-4-2019 at 10:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ireland is fucking amazing, but you need more than a couple days to really soak it in.

Also, if you go to Spain, you should put Ibiza on your list. It's beautiful and the water is stunning.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4558
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-27-2019 at 05:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks guys!

Iceland and Ireland are both on my short lists for other trips (I'd probably marry Iceland to a Benelux tour, and do Ireland with Scotland).

I'm still watching Brexit to see what happens, but am probably aiming for Lisbon to Porto to Madrid before starting my transatlantic out of Barcelona.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top