The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 26, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4340
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-26-2019 at 11:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 26, 2019)

Tonight on RAW: 3 weeks to go until the Clash of Champions PPV, where the gimmick is that all titles are supposed to be defended.... and on the RAW side of the ledger, there's a significant amount of uncertainty just how those belts will be on the line...

What's interesting is that all 3 primary men's titles are contained within a 5-man mega-feud, where an obvious 6th isn't too far removed...

It started with US Champ AJ Styles declaring his desire to face WWEU Champ Seth Rollins, only to have AJ's Club-mates (and RAW tag champs), Gallows & Anderson, get involved... Braun Strowman made the save and a very tenuous partnership was formed... as of last week, Rollins and Strowman are now the tag champs, even as Braun openly lusts for Seth's WWEU title... and as if that's not enough, former US Champ Ricochet has a very strong case for a rematch against Styles, after Styles needed Good Brother interference to beat Ricochet at SummerSlam...

One way or another, those 5 men and those 3 titles should make up a goodly percentage of tonight's show...

I could really get behind putting Ricochet in the mix and doing a 6-man match at CoC where all 3 titles are on the line, in a massive improvement upon the "EuroContinental" Match we had many many years ago at Mania.... I think by doing it Tornado Style (all 6 men fighting at once) and adding the element of Eliminations, there are some creative ways to structure it... basically, the only valid decision MUST involve a reigning champ (Anderson pinning Ricochet accomplishes nothing), and once a champ is involved in a fall that "match winthin the match" is over, with the loser leaving and the winner allowed to stay and fight for more titles.... Rollins as a double title holder complicates things, but this scenario works: he and Braun start to implode, the Club seamlessly works together to exploit it, Gallows & Anderson with the win, and Strowman alone powders out (because AJ still has a title), which gives the Club a huge advantage, and they manage to eliminate Ricochet (AJ's IC belt is now secure and he gets to stay in the match, as well).... SURELY Styles can't survive a 3-on-1 assault! Of course he can, he already beat Brock with an estimated 137 broken bones in his body, so he survives, and scores a win via similar Super Seth antics...

Bonus: 3 obligatory title matches rolled into 1 match opens up a little more room on the show for other stories/matches, which is important given that otherwise there would be 11 titles being defended in 11 matches.... but if you do a 3-in-1 and move one other to the kick-off show, you've probably got room for 3 other matches....

And 2 of those are spoken for...

The King of the Ring finals are happening at CoC... the SD side seems pretty clear sailing for Andrade [redacted] [redacted] now that Kevin Owens is out, but the RAW side is more wide open... Samoa Joe and Cedric Alexander have already advanced, and tonight we get the other 2 first round matches: the aforementioned Ricochet vs. Drew McIntyre, and Miz vs. Baron Corbin... tonight's winners face last week's winners, so that would seem to favor tonight's heels, although with a heel favored on the SD side of the bracket, having 3 faces in RAW's quarterfinals would certainly be workable, too...

The other non-title match for CoC that we can be pretty sure of is Roman Reigns vs. Probably Daniel Bryan... Reigns is always a good bet to be a Wild Card, but in this case, WWE is letting the Mystery Attacker angle play out on Tuesdays....

RAW's one other title, the Women's Title, is on much more solid ground than the other 3.... unless something is drastically wrong with my brain, it sure as hell seems we have an almost-just-not-officially-announced Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks match coming at the PPV.... tonight, Nattie is stepping up to challenge Sasha to a match, and I assume we'll have more clarity after that....

SD Women's Champ Bayley -- likely to face Charlotte at CoC -- is crossing over tonight, as well, to face Nikki Cross... Nikki is defending her BFF Alexa Bliss' honor after Bayley turned last week's Moment of Bliss into a trainwreck.... since Nikki and Lexi are also the Women's Tag Champs, without an obvious challenger, I wonder if that isn't part of the subtext here.... while it's far from official, Bayley's been trending heel, so what if they plant the seeds for a heel version of the Boss & Hug Connection challenging (not at CoC, where somebody like the IIconics could get a token title shot, but down the line)?

If other SD stars show up, it's pretty easy to assume it would be the New Day (WWE Champ Kofi, and tag champs Woods and Big E) and/or their main foes, Randy Orton and the Revival... IC Champ Shinsuke Nakamura and his new manager/mouthpiece Sami Zayn would also be a delightful surprise, since I love the pairing and the sooner we jump start an actual feud for Shin, the better....

Lesser bits and pieces: Rey Mysterio tried to retire last week, only to promise to stick around long enough to some day team with his son Dominic.... at some point, Bray Wyatt will have to deal with Demon Balor but that day is still many weeks away; that said, Bray is getting a lot of mileage out of randomly attacking legends... TOTAL LEFT FIELD RANDOM GUESS: based on a tweet of "Daddy's Home" this afternoon, the previous two statements will be combined into one segment in which the Fiend targets Dominic and ends up savaging Rey.... and the 24/7 is still where we left it last week -- with Elias -- but only after changing hands 3 times over the weekend; expect a recap of all that wonderful silliness, along with brand new absurdity centered on the champ, Truth, and Drake....

That is all. End communication....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 8-27-2019 at 12:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sasha with the cleavage mic for the win!
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 8-27-2019 at 12:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nattie makes jeans look good!
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 8-27-2019 at 12:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Please walk around the ring and address everyone in the arena and not just the hard camera...
Please walk around the ring and address everyone in the arena and not just the hard camera...

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4340
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 8-27-2019 at 12:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gotta be Ricochet vs. Andrade, now, right?

Question is if WWE has the sense to go pure babyface in the RAW semifinal, so that Ricochet and Alexander can tear down MSG in 2 weeks.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 8-27-2019 at 12:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
At this point I'd vote for Corbin winning KotR just so it might provide an excuse to get him to change his outfits. I guess he's ditched the vest aspect, but "guy wearing normal clothes" isn't very exciting.

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-27-2019 at 01:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As a Certified Boring Cabron Fan™, I approve of this message.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-27-2019 at 01:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, maybe this is a sign of things to come? Or Miz is headed for something else. Made even more suspicious by given Corbin a mic. HMMMMMMM.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 8-27-2019 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ahh, two of my favorite lady wrestlers!
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-27-2019 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iíve caught up, and yeah, if they donít do Andrade vs Ricochet in a 20+ minute match for the finals Iíll be disappointed.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6044
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-27-2019 at 01:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh sure, BobbiRoo with Dolph instead of BobbiRoo with EC3 or even Dolph with EC3. Makes total sense.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-27-2019 at 01:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
EC3's too busy holding cups somewhere backstage, so he was unavailable.

Also, don't know why I thought Hawkins and Ryder would get a longer effort in there.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4340
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 8-27-2019 at 02:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know how many segments are left after this Cedric/Cesaro match, but if it's only one, I call Bray inteferring in the US match.

He is, after all, Braun's narrative "daddy," in a way.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1322
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-27-2019 at 03:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have to say, that was kind of a poor plan on AJ's part other than being able to keep his title.

Also, no Bray is a bit disappointing. Similarly, it would be nice to get back to some FFH segments to keep the momentum rolling on both ends.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4340
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 8-27-2019 at 03:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I kind of thought Braun just declaring "Winner Take All" in that backstage promo was a late-era-Nitro caliber fuck-up, where he spoiler'd everything.

I just assumed it meant he would somehow win the US Title via ambiguous means to set up a one-on-one "Winner Take All" match.

I still think "Winner Take All" is the direction we're going, I just don't think it will be one-on-one, anymore. That doesn't make Braun's promo any less poorly planned and executed by those in charge of such things.

Dolph/Roode as a tag team is as good a use of fungible assets as I can come up with. They really were impressive tonight in how effortless the teamwork seemed, and you can keep that "sum of the parts" story going for a bit, if you want. Long enough to unseat Rollins/Braun, at least. At which point, the Usos show up, and all is right again.

Corbin just MUST lose to Cedric next week. It's not that Corbin is as bad as I (and others) like to pretend he is. He isn't. He's just not as good as the upper 80% of the roster (and nowhere near over enough with fans to let his in-ring slide), so when you choose to push the bottom quartile, you piss me off. X-Pac invented "X-Pac Heat" and he never sniffed a KotR. Corbin is today's X-Pac, so just use him appropriately as a prop, and understand that when people vote against him in polls, they will also turn the channel if you put him on TV too much.

Ricochet vs. Cedric would be amazing at MSG in the KotR semis. Joe vs. Cedric wouldn't suck, either. Any of those 3 versus Andrade in the finals would work, but somehow, I feel like Ricochet is the guy who works best and makes it a "fair fight" in the sense that he could legit win but he can also handle taking the loss (Ricochet even already has "King" in his gimmick). Cedric taking a loss would derail all his momentum, and Joe losing to Andrade just seems too soon now that he's basically a babyface.

Bayley/Nikki and Nattie/Sasha were both very solid, I thought, but lack of forward momentum on belt-related-stories was noticeable.... no Becky (RAW title), no Charlotte (SD title), no Alexa (tag titles).... honestly, the way they pushed Rousey's addition to TWOODNAAVE seemed like it was the biggest development of the night (and already, they have positioned it as "Nia's Season" where she gets to engage in scripted "reality" to make her return from injury more "dramatic" to people gullible enough to watch the E! "Network"). It's hard if you don't have the bodies on hand, but even if those women got well-deserved nights off at the end of Summer Vacation, there's gotta be better ways to keep the narrative momentum going, no?

Oh, and while Miz losing clean to Corbin did seem unpalatable to me, those wondering about the reasons should know that Maryse is very pregnant. They aren't going to play it the way they did last time (they booked Miz into a 3-way match at WrestleMania and just hoped Maryse wouldn't give drop a baby a week early), and Miz should be expendable for TV stories until after CoC. He's available for TV if he's not needed as a daddy, but he's not needed for TV for a bit, given that he's about to have daddy duties.

I believe this sets the record for the most times I have used the word "daddy" in a single thread.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 8-27-2019 at 06:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If Boreman Cabron were in a "smaller promotion" (the indies, whatevers) he'd probably be totally amazeberries and a worthy champion. As Teh Rick sez, however, 80% of the current roster is more amazeberries and thus it makes him look bland and daddy-like. I have worded! That is all!
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-27-2019 at 05:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Baron to me kind of gave away his not winning by taking a moment to pose on the throne with the scepter and the crown. I feel like they'd save that visual for afterwards if he was going to win. He looked good with it, though, and I myself would have no problem with him going over. But I definitely agree with the consensus and think Ricochet vs. Andrade is the natural final.

Also agree about Nattie in jeans. Good gracious.

I don't know if Sasha's heel promo was great, but it certainly wasn't bad. The laughing while leaving on the Banks Statement bit was really well done.

Dolph/Roode is a perfectly fine tag team. And hey, the War Raiders finally have a feud!

I really, really, really wish they'd find something to do with Cesaro. Dude is so damned good.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-27-2019 at 07:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
random ring gear observation. The current pair of tights that Cesaro has been wearing are my least favorite set of tights of all the ones he's ever worn.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7385
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-27-2019 at 08:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod

I really, really, really wish they'd find something to do with Cesaro. Dude is so damned good.

Unfortunately, "do something with" may be "exile to NXT UK", since one of the videos on WWE.com has Cesaro menacingly stating that his overseas trip to China that he was making will include a trip to Wales to "visit" NXT UK. Which, and let's not try to reason it isn't, would be a demotion, regardless of whether or not they were doing anything with him (at least he was floundering on TV).

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2450
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-27-2019 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod

Unfortunately, "do something with" may be "exile to NXT UK", since one of the videos on WWE.com has Cesaro menacingly stating that his overseas trip to China that he was making will include a trip to Wales to "visit" NXT UK. Which, and let's not try to reason it isn't, would be a demotion, regardless of whether or not they were doing anything with him (at least he was floundering on TV).

I saw a guy on Twitter suggest a good outcome for this: Kassius Ohno is already on NXT UK, which means a Kings of Wrestling reunion could be a reality.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top