The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WWE King of the Ring 2019
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-13-2019 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE King of the Ring 2019

I have a soft spot for the King of the Ring tournament. The tournaments have generally been a lot of fun, from the lead ups on Raw/Smackdown to the PPV itself. They don't do the PPV anymore and the last 4 they did over the last 15 or so years were all on TV, either stretched out multiple weeks or just done in one week, and this year, it sounds like they're just doing it on RAW.

Here are the contestants:

Raw: Ricochet, The Miz, Cedric Alexander, Drew McIntyre, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, Baron Corbin, Samoa Joe

SmackDown: Elias, Kevin Owens, Chad Gable, Andrade, Shelton Benjamin, Buddy Murphy, Ali, Apollo Crews

My prediction for 2019 KOTR: There are only three guys I see winning this. Ricochet, Baron Corbin, and Andrade. Personally, I think Andrade winning is the best idea and will give us Queen Zelina, However, I think WWE is more likely to go with Ricochet (which I don't think will hurt or help him - and he probably won't use the gimmick) or Baron Corbin (who would embrace the gimmick whole-heartedly for some fun or annoying things but would ultimately do nothing for him like it did for Wade Barrett and Sheamus).

What are your predictions and thoughts on this years tournament? Maybe there are things you want to say about previous KOTR tourneys? Say it on this thread!

[Edited on 8-13-2019 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7441
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, you pretty much nailed it: it'll be a heel like McIntyre, Elias, or Corbin, they'll wind up going on a massive losing streak, and either get future endeavored after Wrestlemania next year, or it'll be a "feel-good" face win by Apollo Crews, Ali, Alexander, or Ricochet, and they'll just keep on doing whatever it is they were doing before and might win a US or IC title for a few weeks before losing it around TLC (and also possibly getting future endeavored too). WWE has screwed this one up the last few times they did it and, while the matches and stories might be fun, let's not pretend it will revitalized someone's career: it's either going to be a heel gimmick that won't get over or will get in the way of whatever was getting them over or an accolade for a try-hard face that will likely just be something they exclaim when they enter #12 at the Royal Rumble.

Maybe the better question is "how many rounds does R-Truth manage to win and lose the 24/7 title during?"

[Edited on 8-13-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8970
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It has to be a heel winning. Just tons more mileage than a face. Whether that mileage is realized is TBD...but the heel potential upside is so much bigger than face.

Love the Andrade + Queen Zelina option.

Otherwise I see Corbin or Elias.

Don't Mess With Texas

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4107
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm glad they're actually making this a big tournament instead of the simple 8-man tourneys they've been doing since like 2002. It'll help make the whole thing meaningful.

There's been 4 of these sporadic KOTR tournaments ever since it stopped being it's own ppv and WWE's success rate is at even 50%. King Booker and King Regal were great while King Sheamus and King Barrett were duds. I'll choose to be optimistic and say this will likely be more of a success instead of a failure. WWE rushed the last two tourneys and seemed to have not thought thinngs through, here it'll be a multi-week event.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1669
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would figure the most likely winners to be Drew McIntyre and Andrade. I'd bet on Andrade, personally, but I've been burned by him a couple times before, so who knows. I can't see Baron Corbin winning it; the gimmick would suit him, but I feel like he's already achieved a high enough level that he doesn't need it. It's the same reason why I don't think Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe or the Miz is going to win. Ricochet seems like the kind of guy who makes it to the finals, but ultimately gets overwhelmed by an opponent who's had an easier path.

I could see Ricochet as a dark horse possibility, along with Cedric Alexander, Cesaro and Ali. But they wouldn't be odds-on favorites. I realize it's been four and a half years since the last King of the Ring tournament, but it's vanishingly rare for a babyface (I know Cesaro is a heel; I'm just saying he's a dark horse) to win the tournament. The last full-fledged face to win KOTR was Ken Shamrock in 1998; Edge was in the midst of a face turn when he won in 2001, but I'd classify him as a tweener rather than a face.

Also, fun (?) fact: This KOTR has the fewest returning contestants in history. Of the field of 16, only McIntyre has competed in the King of the Ring tournament before. But he is undefeated in KOTR matches; he beat Montel Vontavious Porter to qualify in 2010, then went to a no-contest with Ezekiel Jackson in the quarterfinals. Only half the field of eight from 2015 is still on the roster, and of those four, only two (Dolph Ziggler and R-Truth) are even on TV right now. In fact, right now, with Sheamus out of action indefinitely, only one former King of the Ring is on the active roster: Brock Lesnar.

Accipiter
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 73
Registered 2-24-2006
Location Richmond, VA

Mood:

posted on 8-13-2019 at 07:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In addition to McIntyre and Andrade, it'd fit the Miz's character too. KotR always worked best to elevate a cocky midcard heel.

-Followed Rule #12 for 12 years

salmonjunkie

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-13-2019 at 08:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would love it if a face won and embraced the gimmick and made it fun. But the only person on the roster I could see do that and make it work is R-Truth, or maybe Heath Slater.

I have one more prediction. Shane McMahon fills in for someone mid-way and wins the King of the Ring.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8970
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 8-13-2019 at 09:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I have one more prediction. Shane McMahon fills in for someone mid-way and wins the King of the Ring.

If this happens.....

Don't Mess With Texas

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1798
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 8-13-2019 at 09:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
we riot?

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8970
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 8-13-2019 at 10:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
...I will find him. I will hunt him.

Which in his case is actually pretty easy for me.

Don't Mess With Texas

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2499
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-14-2019 at 04:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
It has to be a heel winning. Just tons more mileage than a face. Whether that mileage is realized is TBD...but the heel potential upside is so much bigger than face.

Love the Andrade + Queen Zelina option.

Otherwise I see Corbin or Elias.

The Queen Zelina part sells me on this being the absolute best possible option. Plus, of course, the Spanish word for King is Rey and that's another thing he can take away from Mysterio.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-14-2019 at 03:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There there, guys, we know WWE will most likely not capitalize on any momentum this tournament might give someone.

#justlethhhtakeoveralreadyjeeeeez

salmonjunkie

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-14-2019 at 03:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Plus, of course, the Spanish word for King is Rey and that's another thing he can take away from Mysterio.

Ooh, I didn't think about that. It makes me like Andrade as the choice even more.

Oh, I just realized the other faces that the King gimmick could work for - but neither of them are in the tournament. Xavier Woods and Big E.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3206
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 8-14-2019 at 05:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I’m going with Cesaro. The guy has accomplished basically everything you possibly can in the undercard and has never been given a proper near main event level push. This would give him something to do and potentially be the final thing he needs to be a world champ.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

salmonjunkie

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-14-2019 at 08:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Remember when Cesaro was the King of Swing?

If Cesaro wins it, I want him not to embrace the gimmick but go on a King Regal-like tear through the company (but not get halted by personal demons like Regal did)

[Edited on 8-14-2019 by salmonjunkie]

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-15-2019 at 09:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I would love it if a face won and embraced the gimmick and made it fun. But the only person on the roster I could see do that and make it work is R-Truth, or maybe Heath Slater.

Maybe Owens makes it to the Finals and Shane says the 100k fine will be erased.......IF Owens gives Shane his spot.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12747
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-15-2019 at 03:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
Maybe Owens makes it to the Finals and Shane says the 100k fine will be erased.......IF Owens gives Shane his spot.

Ah shit, it's gonna be Miz and Shane in the finals, isn't it?

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-15-2019 at 06:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39

Ah shit, it's gonna be Miz and Shane in the finals, isn't it?

It’s just dumb enough for the WWE to do it. Coulda been the plan all along.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-15-2019 at 08:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The finals should be Ricochet and Andrade. Either of them would work as King.

Owens winning would seem off.

My dark horse pick would be Sami. He could go all Owen with the gimmick and that’d be just swell.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4107
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-15-2019 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's weird to me how marginalized Miz has been since he lost to Shane. Andrade is my first pick but if he gets eliminated early I'm all in on Miz getting revitalized with a KOTR win.

He's got the chops to make the goofy royal elements work and it would put Miz one Rumble win away from winning the Triple Crown of Non-Title Achievements in WWE. Which suprisingly has been done by 3 guys, Edge, Lesnar and Sheamus.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-15-2019 at 09:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wake me up when they do a Queen of the Ring tournament.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1669
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-16-2019 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Wake me up when they do a Queen of the Ring tournament.

I've no problem with WWE reviving King of the Ring -- though that'll change if they completely waste the winner of it, as they have the last time or two -- but I'd be 100 percent on board with the first-ever Queen of the Ring tournament, and I'm kind of surprised they didn't go that route.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8317
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 8-16-2019 at 03:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It would be the perfect thing to roll with if they are planning to do a female-only PPV this year again. Run it as a largely one night tournament like KOTR was when it began.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4565
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-16-2019 at 09:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I haven't watched WWE in so long that I don't know that I could contribute much to a discussion on who should win this version, but IMO I don't think there's been a bigger mismanagement or outright wasted concept than the KOTR tournament.

I mean in essence it's a pretty awesome idea... A guy has to win X number of matches depending on the size of the tournament and then when it comes down to the finals they historically had to survive multiple matches in one night. There's the potential for heels to get byes, or use some other chicanery to advance with a minimal effort, or some other hijinks to happen (double eliminations... whatever)... it could span multiple shows, give you some impressive main events with stakes involved, odd match ups like two faces or something that should be a squash becoming really entertaining, or a rookie beats a vet... whatever. On top of that you have the potential for guys who were eliminated to spin off a new feud out of it (Guy A eliminates B, so guy B interferes in match between Guy A and C... C advances and A and B feud). It's pretty much a recipe that can't go wrong....

Except the WWE does screw it up and I think it's because they kind shit the bed on some past winners when it meant something, coupled with later revivals of the format ultimately meaning jack shit... it wound up saddling guys with a tired "King" gimmick as if it actually bequeathed royalty upon them instead of it just being a bragging rights thing... Then throw in guys getting buried or forgotten, or the WWE fast tracking some tournaments and it just watered it down.

I really think what the WWE needs to do, and they did it in I want to say 1999 (Billy Gunn I think?) is put genuine stakes in there... make the KOTR to Summer Slam what the Rumble is to Mania. Have a month's worth of prelim matches and then do an actual KOTR PPV where guys fight at least twice in that night with the winner getting the main event title shot at Summer Slam... Then it means something. Drop the royalty schtict and if you really want to ramp something up you could even add some stips to matches in some years... like the final four matches will be no DQ, or the final 1 on 1 match will be a ladder match... Not every year.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3206
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 8-16-2019 at 05:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What Flash said. KOTR should have a mandatory Universal or WWE title match at a Big 4 PPV. Lesnar got one once. Seemed to work out pretty well. If someone shits the bed in the 1-2 months after winning the KOTR they can just lose to the champ no different than a mediocre Royal Rumble winner.

As for the Queen of the Ring, um ... fuck yes. When Charlotte loses in the final it would be all sorts of great to watch how she deals with not being “The Queen”.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top