The Online Onslaught Forums


By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: NXT 2019
janerd75
The Man






Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole
Member Is Offline

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 9-19-2019 at 01:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wonder if Lio Rush can ever overcome his previous troubles in the locke......HEY, WAYMENT!!!!





"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America youíre going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
OORick
Monkey on a Rock






Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation
Member Is Offline

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-19-2019 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT on USA was solid.... they seemed to consciously present "business as usual" with no stunt-casting or hot-shotting (there will be time for that in 2 weeks), but instead just illustrate what good wrestling looks like. Undisputed Era vs. Whoever for WarGames is just the perfect way to go for the next 2 months...

NXT on WWE Network? I still don't know. For 15 minutes, WWE Network on my Roku kept regurgitating me out to my home screen, claiming that I did not have an account and I needed to sign up, and when it finally DID accept my log-in on the fifth try, it could not "access network resources." My wifi is fine, I could get into the Network on my phone, but if I can't watch it on my big ol' Tee Vee, I'll just wait till later.

Another chapter in the story of WWE Network got a lot more sucky once they cheaped out and went with a different company to serve their content...

One stupid side-note from the USA Hour: did anyone other than me notice how Mauro actually had to stop and catch himself a few times so he could say WRESTLER, when his instinct was clearly to say "sports entertainer" or "competitor," but now he's actually allowed to say that naughty word?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
American Dream






Posts 7928
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-19-2019 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Another little thing Iím glad they got out of the way was the Triple H intro.

Also...WALTER!!!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act






Posts 7763
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 9-19-2019 at 03:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I enjoyed the first hour on USA, but didn't tune into the second hour on WWE Network (just because I figured Strong winning the North American title was going to be the big moment of the show, plus 11 hours of WWE programming in four nights is a little much), but damn, that sounds like some good stuff with WALTER and company showing up. Also pretty cool to see Undisputed Era with all the gold.

And this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but with NXT being on USA now, are the days of getting called up to the main roster done? For the last four or five years, there's been a pretty specific formula of "guy gets big in NXT, wins the NXT title, drops it, and then jumps to RAW or Smackdown." But I could see guys like Dream, Gargano, Ciampa, Riddle, etc sticking around in NXT for a prolonged period of time now and even if/when they do go to RAW or Smackdown, it won't seem like so much of a call up as it will just switching brands.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One






Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-19-2019 at 12:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good show. It -felt- like NXT, which was probably the most important thing for me. It was time for Dream to drop the belt and I expect he'll be NXT champion sometime next year.

Glad to see Candice LeRae get the #1 contender slot. She'd be an awesome champ and Shayna's got to drop the belt to someone eventually...right?

Lio coming back is a good thing because he's a damn great wrestler. I guess he's a babyface now? The crowd was certainly behind him.

I wasn't a huge fan of the big brawl closing out the show. Not enough name guys in it and mostly it just made me sad that we wouldn't get a proper Riddle/Dain match (although apparently that's now on for next week, with the #1 contendership on the line to Cole's title)





"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CCharger
The Man






Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 9-19-2019 at 02:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thought the female four-way was good, but a little too much of a overly choreographed spotfest.

The Grimes match happened.

The NA title match was excellent. There were times I was unsure if the two guys were actually shooting on each other. It was a slow build that told a story and had a satisfying finish that moved the whole storyline forward.

I don't have the Network, so I didn't see the rest of the show.

I'm interested to see how NXT will fair against AEW and vice versa. I don't think they are exact analogs of each other. I don't think it will be like RAW vs. Nitro. More like ECW vs. Nitro and I don't mean that as a pejorative. Just a different feel and aesthetic.

[Edited on 9-19-2019 by CCharger]





"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper






Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 9-20-2019 at 12:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think doing the WALTER surprise on the first hour coulda been better than the Cameron squash match. To see the crowd pop could have been cool to a first time but I guess they didnít want to tease that WALTER is a permanent fixture? Or will he be? Maybe once or twice s month fly him and/or his goons over? Loving the potential with everything. Direct competition is awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I enjoyed the first hour on USA, but didn't tune into the second hour on WWE Network (just because I figured Strong winning the North American title was going to be the big moment of the show, plus 11 hours of WWE programming in four nights is a little much), but damn, that sounds like some good stuff with WALTER and company showing up. Also pretty cool to see Undisputed Era with all the gold.

And this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but with NXT being on USA now, are the days of getting called up to the main roster done? For the last four or five years, there's been a pretty specific formula of "guy gets big in NXT, wins the NXT title, drops it, and then jumps to RAW or Smackdown." But I could see guys like Dream, Gargano, Ciampa, Riddle, etc sticking around in NXT for a prolonged period of time now and even if/when they do go to RAW or Smackdown, it won't seem like so much of a call up as it will just switching brands.


Iím wondering if one or two guys/girls gets drafted in two weeks to Raw or Smackdown.

And if Riddle/Dain is for the #1 contender to the NXT championship, I guess Riddleís going over......but if itís too early for Riddle Iíd love to see Dain and Cole do a match. Love both of those guys and that could be brutal but I doubt they go that route.

[Edited on 9-20-2019 by CVD39]

[Edited on 9-20-2019 by CVD39]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1023
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Amused!

posted on 9-20-2019 at 11:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
I think doing the WALTER surprise on the first hour coulda been better than the Cameron squash match. To see the crowd pop could have been cool to a first time but I guess they didnít want to tease that WALTER is a permanent fixture? Or will he be? Maybe once or twice s month fly him and/or his goons over? Loving the potential with everything. Direct competition is awesome.
[Edited on 9-20-2019 by CVD39]


How in gods name anyone could compare the mound of suck that is walter to Cameron Grimes is beyond me. Why they needed to dilute the awesomeness of Imperium by bringing him along is staggering.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper






Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 9-21-2019 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
I think doing the WALTER surprise on the first hour coulda been better than the Cameron squash match. To see the crowd pop could have been cool to a first time but I guess they didnít want to tease that WALTER is a permanent fixture? Or will he be? Maybe once or twice s month fly him and/or his goons over? Loving the potential with everything. Direct competition is awesome.
[Edited on 9-20-2019 by CVD39]


How in gods name anyone could compare the mound of suck that is walter to Cameron Grimes is beyond me. Why they needed to dilute the awesomeness of Imperium by bringing him along is staggering.


I like Cameron Grimes but I donít think a quick squash match helps him all that much and I donít think they had time for a longer showcase match.

And we get it, you donít like WALTER. Others do, including the fans at the show and that heat could help sell NXT more than a squash match with a guy that only people that watched Impact (so about 50 people) would recognize.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni






Posts 10980
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 9-21-2019 at 05:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BTW, the Germans have mellowed out quite a bit over the last few decades but they're still touchy and get really offended at two things these days:

1) if you give them a bad time about World War Two
2) you don't spell WALTER! properly in all-upper case during internet discussions

This is me taking others into consideration, being aware of their sensitivities, even for an ancient enemy. No need to thank me, it's who I am and it's what I do.





Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper






Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 9-21-2019 at 10:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
=Tips hat=

[Edited on 9-21-2019 by CVD39]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One






Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-21-2019 at 01:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not really in love with Imperium or the pseudo-fascist overtones. It just feels icky to me. Not saying it shouldn't exist or should be taken off the show, just that I don't enjoy it even as a heel gimmick. I get enough of that shit in the news as it is.

That said, I have enjoyed some of WALTER's matches, but others have left me flat. Like a lot of big guys, he works best with a quick and lively smaller opponent (Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, etc), but I watched him wrestle Keith Lee once and it was...eh?





"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper






Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 9-21-2019 at 06:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
I'm not really in love with Imperium or the pseudo-fascist overtones. It just feels icky to me. Not saying it shouldn't exist or should be taken off the show, just that I don't enjoy it even as a heel gimmick. I get enough of that shit in the news as it is.

That said, I have enjoyed some of WALTER's matches, but others have left me flat. Like a lot of big guys, he works best with a quick and lively smaller opponent (Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, etc), but I watched him wrestle Keith Lee once and it was...eh?


When was that? In NXT or before somewhere else? Just asking because it seems like theyíre hiding him with those Dunne/Bate type guys more and not giving him the bigger ones unless Iíve missed something. So maybe they know this, too.

[Edited on 9-21-2019 by CVD39]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1023
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Amused!

posted on 9-22-2019 at 01:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39


I like Cameron Grimes but I donít think a quick squash match helps him all that much and I donít think they had time for a longer showcase match.

And we get it, you donít like WALTER. Others do, including the fans at the show and that heat could help sell NXT more than a squash match with a guy that only people that watched Impact (so about 50 people) would recognize.


I didn't even know Grimes was in TNA, I'm just basing it on his WWE stint so far. HHH explained the squash really well on the post show. Create interest PRIOR to promos which is so sound.

To explain my issue with walter. I get that he is some kind of indie darling like Bryan, Rollins, etc. And yes he has a good character and decent promo skills, however when it come to actual matches he is either greener than green or simply awful. He can't even fall off the top rope convincingly.

So yeah I get the hype, and he could be good for SD or RAW, but NXT's focus on good wrestling is why it blows my mind that they would feature someone so poor in that aspect.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One






Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-22-2019 at 04:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39

When was that? In NXT or before somewhere else? Just asking because it seems like theyíre hiding him with those Dunne/Bate type guys more and not giving him the bigger ones unless Iíve missed something. So maybe they know this, too.

[Edited on 9-21-2019 by CVD39]


I'm not sure what fed, I remember finding it on Youtube a couple years ago when I first started hearing rumblings about WALTER and wanted to check him out.





"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper






Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 9-22-2019 at 08:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72
I didn't even know Grimes was in TNA, I'm just basing it on his WWE stint so far. HHH explained the squash really well on the post show. Create interest PRIOR to promos which is so sound.

To explain my issue with walter. I get that he is some kind of indie darling like Bryan, Rollins, etc. And yes he has a good character and decent promo skills, however when it come to actual matches he is either greener than green or simply awful. He can't even fall off the top rope convincingly.

So yeah I get the hype, and he could be good for SD or RAW, but NXT's focus on good wrestling is why it blows my mind that they would feature someone so poor in that aspect.


Iím not ready to put him in the big leagues yet and he might not ever reach his full potential but for what heís doing, itís seems to be getting over. I donít like Randy Orton but Iím not complaining that heís in the spot that heís in.


quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod

I'm not sure what fed, I remember finding it on Youtube a couple years ago when I first started hearing rumblings about WALTER and wanted to check him out.


Gotcha. He seems to be entertaining against the workratecguys so hopefully heís either made strides against bigger dudes or they keep him against the workers.

[Edited on 9-22-2019 by CVD39]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
OORick
Monkey on a Rock






Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation
Member Is Offline

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-23-2019 at 02:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I won't get too much in the way of the pre-existing WALTER debate, but I do tip my cap to the basic idea of putting it under the same lens as Orton.... I think the two are fairly close to each other in terms of what they can do, bell to bell. It's just that Orton has shown -- both in action, and even in some backstage anecdotes -- that he DOESN'T do all he CAN do if he doesn't have to (on a big stage and as a babyface, Randall has turned out some gems; otherwise, not so much, unless it's against that aforementioned super-talented bump-machine).

Also, WALTER -- with English as his second language -- is a nominally better promo/charisma guy, but your mileage may vary due to the, uhhhhhh, Nazi-ish-ness. [Even I grant that Nazis were and are still worse than entitled dimwitted douchebags, in the grand scheme of things.]

I mostly just wanted to pop in and say that I did get around to watching Hour Two of NXT, and did sort of have a nation for why they suddenly put WALTER and Imperium on TV....

Next TakeOver is WarGames. Is it possible that the Undisputed Era have more or less "beat the level," and they are bigger than the WarGames match, if for no other reason than they hold all the gold, and NXT usually prioritizes title defenses? If so, you need another quartet of heels to put inside the double-cage.

WALTER inviting Kushida to put together his best 3-some for a 6-man against Imperium this coming Wednesday would certainly be a sensible first step to something like that. It really comes down to how many major titles/stories they are willing to burn inside the WarGames, with lesser issues populating the undercard, versus using WarGames as a gimmick that sells itslef and still having a shitload of awesome matches supporting it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LoveMuscle
Showstopper






Posts 809
Registered 6-28-2007
Member Is Offline

Mood: stiff

posted on 9-26-2019 at 12:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This was my first chance to see Derek Lee ... I must say once the bell rang I was pretty impressed.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni






Posts 10980
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 9-26-2019 at 12:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Turns out that Soviet Canuckistan is once again badly behind the times because none of our precious sports channels are carrying NXT. Oh well, you motherCanuckers, maybe it'll be added to your package sometime in the next fucking decade.

...hello torrenting, my good friend, I've come to mooch from you again...





Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
American Dream






Posts 7928
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-26-2019 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ummm, Taynara and Dakota looked off, with Kaiís Kicks seeming....kind of soft. If Taynara can cut a promo, I think thereís something there.

Not that people like Io, Belair, Mia Yim, or Candice need to be worried...but sheís got a look and her limited offence looked good.

Also...Killian Dain would be a great 3rd to Harper and Rowan.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
LoveMuscle
Showstopper






Posts 809
Registered 6-28-2007
Member Is Offline

Mood: stiff

posted on 9-26-2019 at 12:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
At least Dain can go home and console himself in the sweet, sweet embrace of Nikki Cross.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni






Posts 10980
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 9-26-2019 at 01:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Killian sure lost a lot of weight since the end of Sanity, given the way he was jumping off the top turnbuckle and diving through the ropes last week on the premiere.

ETA - pretty sure I'll be stanning for Rhea "Sexy Beast" Ripley for the rest of my days. That Kayden girl sure looked good with that flippy shit though, despite taking the loss. Well done by both of them.

[Edited on 9/26/2019 by Paddlefoot]





Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistabinks
Creepy Little Bastard






Posts 68
Registered 8-29-2003
Location Glory Road - El Paso, TX
Member Is Offline

Mood: doing swell

posted on 9-26-2019 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would go out of my way to watch an hour long show of NXT every week now that itís on cable. I hope it being two hours isnít too much of a good thing.

[Edited on 9-26-2019 by mistabinks]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper






Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 9-26-2019 at 05:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoveMuscle
This was my first chance to see Derek Lee ... I must say once the bell rang I was pretty impressed.


Itís Kevin Lee and yeah, that was a pretty good big man match.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1023
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Amused!

posted on 9-26-2019 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) - it wasn't.

At least by their standards. As a Lee/Dijacovik match it was the shits. Check out either of their previous encounters, they were way, way better. Which is a damn shame.

MVP of this phase of NXT continues to be Grimes. Awesome showing.


Roll on next week and Montez

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top


Powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final SP1
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group
Processed in 0.1424940 seconds, 20 queries