The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: NXT 2019
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-12-2019 at 12:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gargano and Cole might be the best wrestlers in terms of pure ring work than anyone else on the roster, Bryan included. Unfortunately, I think Cam is right. Vince will never see them as anything except pre-show performers and fodder for guys like Roman and Corbin.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7928
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-12-2019 at 06:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Billed height = 6’1”
Billed weight = 225lbs

Billed height = 6’0”
Billed weight = 210lbs

Billed height = 5’11”
Billed weight = 218lbs

Billed height = 5’11”
Billed weight = 190lbs

Billed height = 5’10”
Billed weight = 210lbs

Which one is AJ, Balor, Bryan, Cole and HBK?

Cole can do fine as long as he avoids injury in his title win ala Balor. I mean Vince let Rollins (billed as 6’1” and 217lbs) beat Lesnar MULTIPLE times.

And if you are concerned, buy a fucking Cole t-shirt. Get a camera side ticket to RAW or SmackDown and bring an “ADAM COLE BAY-BAY!” sign with you. Or get a Nielsen box and tune in to NXT on FS1. Or watch Adam Cole matches on the WWE Network (free for new subscribers) every day.

But stop saying a guy who is bigger than Rey Mysterio, and comparable to Balor, Bryan, HBK, Rollins and Styles will never get pushed under Vince. Will Vince prefer a guy like Roman or Brock? Sure. But the evidence shows he will let guys who are “smaller” get the top strap.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-12-2019 at 08:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll make a bet with you...

If Adam Cole or Johnny Gargano win either the WWE Championship or Universal Championship with Vince McMahon Jr. (noted large, muscular man fetishist) still running the company, I will personally suck your dick.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3284
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 8-12-2019 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
I'll make a bet with you...

If Adam Cole or Johnny Gargano win either the WWE Championship or Universal Championship with Vince McMahon Jr. (noted large, muscular man fetishist) still running the company, I will personally suck your dick.

While I’ll decline the offer, the current WWE champ is what, 6 feet even and maybe 215 lbs?

It may take a while but there is way more evidence that Gargano will win the WWE championship within 3 years than that he’ll be stuck facing Drew Gulak.

Seriously man, your take is outdated and a willful ignorance of facts.

Side note ... Strowman should be a mult-time WWE or Universal Champion by now and he has exactly 0 individual titles.

He has a Brock fetish because he’s the biggest draw in the world outside of The Rock. He has an Indian money fetish that explains both Jinder and Khali. Aside from those two, what bigger guy has been a world champ in the last 20 years who didn’t deserve it?

If you say Big Show, Nash, Kane or Taker ...

All those guys deserved it. Who is left?

[Edited on 8-12-2019 by DKBroiler]

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2020
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-12-2019 at 09:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Goldberg? *shrug*

I get it, legend and all that, but 2017 Goldberg certainly didn’t deserve a world title run.

Cole I could see potentially reaching that level, especially if he and the Era maintain the level of heat and push that they have in NXT. Gargano, man...I want to say he’d at least get the chance to chase and eventually have a short token run like he did in NXT but I just can’t see it.

And not that it reflects on these guys’ ability, but the track record of guys coming out of NXT is not great. The Shield guys obviously did great, but I hardly count that because they took on an entirely different gimmick upon coming up. The history of guys coming up from NXT and bringing their existing character with them is littered with guys who get strong pushes off the bat only to be cast aside not long after, to guys that Vince just doesn’t “get” and who never really even get out of the starting gate.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7928
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 8-12-2019 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah there are plenty of guys who haven’t gotten pushes. But...

Shield
Bray
KO
Balor

Are all former WWE/Universal champs.

Sami, Andrade, Ricochet, and Black have been used well. Nakamura’s in ring performance has been dropping since the Sami match, and he’s still got 2 runs with the US title and is currently holding the IC Title.

Are their women who haven’t been used well ? Yes. But...

Charlotte
Becky
Bayley
Sasha
Bliss
Carmella

Is Ruby Riott not getting a run in the last year that bad?

If you want a valid complaint, tag teams who get called up have been the real Vince gonna Vince examples.

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1023
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 8-16-2019 at 08:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The problem Gargano will have on the main shows is that his really strong point (more than most, and linked to Ciampa) is long subtle story arcs.

That works in NXT as several shows are taped at the same time so drastically changing things at the last minute is impossible even if Vince were that interested.

The main roster doesn't work that way, or didn't. There is a noteable improvement on RAW, however long it lasts, but SD is still be rewritten on the day.

DK is dead right in that size is no longer an issue. However I thing Cole has a better chance than Gargano simply because he looks like HBK....

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-29-2019 at 03:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Undisputed Era new tag champs. Street Profits “official” call up or...

Don't Mess With Texas

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-30-2019 at 01:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Really good episode, too.
The tag title change
Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic in a super-athletic hoss battle
Io Shirai murdering a jobber
Rhea Ripley coming out and pretty much throwing down the gauntlet at Shayna Baszler
William Regal dismissing Mia Yim's complaint about getting jumped by basically noting that she started it and what did she expect?

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-30-2019 at 04:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

I'll take "or" for $800, Alex.

NXT has this TV show on prime time TV, now. And it's twice as long as the niche streaming thingie they were doing. As much as Heyman likes them, my guess now is that they are gonna keep being table-setters/hype-men on RAW (nothing more), and recast as among the absolute top babyfaces on an NXT that starts out hopelessly dominated by the Evil Undisputed Era, but where good guys emerge to form an alliance JUSTINTIME~! for WarGames in November.

Which is as it should be.

Rhea Ripley instantly helps with the depth issue that NXT's women have.... but I gotta second the opinion that, holy crap-for-crap, this re-invented version of Io Shirai has started pressing all the right buttons to tap into all sorts of exciting new places. Including several that are not my pants.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1023
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

posted on 8-30-2019 at 03:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72
The problem Gargano will have on the main shows is that his really strong point (more than most, and linked to Ciampa) is long subtle story arcs.

That works in NXT as several shows are taped at the same time so drastically changing things at the last minute is impossible even if Vince were that interested.

Fuck.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-30-2019 at 03:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72

I don't know that I agree. The Ciampa/Gargano feud was TOO long and not really that subtle. I enjoyed it a lot early on and that interested waned. Same with Johnny/Adam Cole. The matches were always great because they're all great workers and you're never going to get less than that from them on a Takeover. But has he been booked that great? Not...really.

That's not to say I expect better on main. I really don't think he'll translate well. I think he'd be better off staying in NXT and being a vanguard signature star of the new brand. But I also think he shouldn't be anywhere near the main belt for while, so...where does he go?

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4174
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-30-2019 at 05:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
, so...where does he go?

Becomes the NXT Shawn Michaels who doesn't need the Title to be in the main event?

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7928
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 8-31-2019 at 07:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So the NXT UK triple threat tag match was fantastic.

Having the hometown baby faces win the title went over well with the crowd.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7928
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 9-1-2019 at 02:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Double post because...

WALTER vs Bate is the current MOTY.

Amazing storytelling, ring psychology, and lots of false finishes in a truly epic match. Just fantastic.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 9-2-2019 at 07:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Double post because...

WALTER vs Bate is the current MOTY.

Amazing storytelling, ring psychology, and lots of false finishes in a truly epic match. Just fantastic.

Only drawback was I was 100% positive Bates wasn’t going over. It was a great match with some brutal spots but it wasn’t Gargano/Cole (which I had no idea who was going over). Gotta admit, I haven’t watched a whole lot of NXTUK lately but they’re still setting up Walter and don’t seem ready to move on yet.

Great match, though.

[Edited on 9-2-2019 by CVD39]

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1023
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

posted on 9-4-2019 at 02:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I came on here to largely echo the sentiment of MOTY but ENTIRELY down to Tyler Bate.

He managed to put on a 45 minute classic match pretty much all on his own. A truly remarkable feat, which was clearly not lost on the crowd nor organisers for how the end of the show was handled.

I have seen more than enough of Walter now, and still can't see anything but a blundering big man with no upside except a cool vaguely Nazi way of standing during promos.

Just imagine how incredible that match could have been with almost anyone else in it!

A great show all in all, and especially glad to see Kay Lee Ray get the belt, lets hope the Viper feud gets the NXT treatment next.

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2020
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 9-4-2019 at 03:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WALTER seems to be a polarizing figure around here. I’d strongly disagree that Bate is fully responsible for that match being as good as it was. I love Bate and he’s an incredible talent (at only 22!), but WALTER more than held up his end of the match.

With the beginning of their live TV run coming up and War Games likely on deck for the next Takeover, I’d love to see Imperium show up on 9/18 and begin a build toward Imperium vs Undisputed in War Games. It’d be very interesting to see who the crowd would back in that setting. Does the Era end up as the babyfaces defending “their” NXT against the UK invaders? Or does the crowd get behind Imperium?

Hell if WWE decides they want a true babyface team in the match you could add Bate, Seven, Dunne and a fourth guy from NXT (Matt Riddle?) as a group looking to take down both of the heel factions at once.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1023
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

posted on 9-8-2019 at 08:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like the idea and my fantasy booking would be to add the Bomber to the Strong Style team.

Yeah Walter is odd, for me anyway, as even if I don't like a style (Japanese being a perfect example) I can appreciate the performer. Walter is different, as much as I want to, being a big fan of NXT UK, I just can't find an upside to latch on to. I keep hoping someone here will explain it to me!

In other NXT gossip, which has been alluded to elsewhere but this is the place for it. Anyone else think that NXT could give the other two brands a short sharp shock if, and only if, they can maintain the style of TV when they go live?

For a few years now, NXT has been by far my favourite wrestling show, and has gotten a few of my friends who had given up on the old shows back on board with wrestling in general.

My fear is that the consistency and long story arcs get fucked up due to the weekly nature of things, which would be a great shame. I know many here aren't fans of long angles but to me a couple of years of subtle build is way better than a 5 minute Ziggler promo to try to invest you in him getting speared (good as he is).

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4742
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 9-14-2019 at 09:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WALTER is great at what he does. I'm afraid I can't put it into words to convince you of that. I guess I just feel the exact opposite about him as you do. His matches with Dunne and Bate have been outstanding and I look forward to seeing him battle other guys like Dave Mastiff, Cesaro, or maybe even Sheamus (if he were cleared to wrestle and sent there temporarily to headline a future Takeover).

Now, Dunne and Bate are phenomenal talents, but I don't think they're solely responsible for making their matches versus WALTER so good. I'd agree if WALTER only had one opponent with which he was able to have great matches, but that's not been the case. Here, I'm thinking of Psycho Sid Justice. He was terrible in any match that went more five minutes unless it was against Shawn Michaels. He and Michaels had some excellent matches. The same can't be said of Sid vs. Bret Hart or anyone else. That makes me credit HBK for having the magic touch. Dunne and Bate might both be better than WALTER, but neither one of them are carrying a lug across the finish line with them. WALTER's holding his own in there, helping his opponents across the finish line with ease.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 9-15-2019 at 12:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anyone else notice that the show on Wednesday will be an hour on USA and then an hour on the Network?
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 9-15-2019 at 01:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They’re doing that for this week and next week, which I guess works if you have the Network, but if you’re like me and you don’t, it means WWE.com highlights Thursday morning here we come.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 825
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 9-15-2019 at 05:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
They’re doing that for this week and next week, which I guess works if you have the Network, but if you’re like me and you don’t, it means WWE.com highlights Thursday morning here we come.

I think it’s pretty genius until you realize you’re only missing 2 hours of the show going forward.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 9-16-2019 at 03:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, no gamesmanship from WWE on this one.... the two weeks of 1 hour USA shows is all at USA's end, and related to how they sold ad time.

The thing I *do* like is that WWE kept next-day digital rights to NXT (unlike RAW, which USA/NBCU gets for 30 days after airing).... I honestly don't know how my "wrestling week" is going to shake out starting in October, but it's awesome to know that if I want to keep my NXT more or less as-is, I can, since I have a Network subscription.

I mean, I can't remember the last time I watched NXT "live" on a Wednesday, but somewhere Thursday-Sunday is the window where I catch it on-demand. Since WWE now has streaming rights starting at 8pm on Thursday, I'm good if I give the DVR space to AEW but don't overclog it.

If Wednesday Night Fights become a real thing, though? Oh well, wouldn't THAT just be a huge chore to have two good wrestling shows on TV at the same time! [hesaidsarcastically]

In other news, I'm pretty sure this makes NXT the lead-in for the final season of "Mr. Robot" when it debuts later in October, which just adds to my DVR's Wednesday Night Problems....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7928
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 9-19-2019 at 01:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Going all in on the Undisputed Era and setting up Cole vs Dream is a smart choice.

Going all in on UE and freeing up Dream for RAW or SmackDown? Less so, but I guess you have Riddle.

Hopefully Dream is staying in NXT for a bit.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top