The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: NXT 2019
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 1-24-2019 at 02:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: NXT 2019

The first Takeover of 2019 is fast approaching, so it's time to begin another catch-all thread for just about everybody's favorite single hour of wrestling per week!

Tommaso Ciampa defending the NXT Title against Aleister Black will headline on Saturday night, and marks Black's first shot at regaining the NXT belt he lost in the middle of a pre-existing Ciampa/Gargano feud.

Speaking of which, as part of that story, Johnny Gargano turned heel on Black... and on Saturday, should be poised to steal the show when he goes after Ricochet and the North American Title. Hands down my #1 reason for tuning in.

Shayna Baszler will defend the women's title against up-and-coming Bianca Belair. But as the Horsewomen storyline begins to gel, you just now that Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir won't be far behind.... and it's also been established that Kairi Sane and Io Shirai are not fans of their happy crappy.

The Undisputed Era's tag titles will be on the line against the War Raiders, another up-and-coming first-time challenger.... I guess there's gonna be another Matt Riddle vs. Kassius Ohno match, as well... and while signs would point to a Velveteen Dream vs. Adam Cole match, it has not been announced, which is not how I'd handle another potential show-stealer (easily ahead of just about everything but Gargano/Ricochet, on paper)...

They may just be holding it back for a show where they won't be nearly as pressed for time.... but Velveteen Dream also appeared to kick off a potentially major storyline/angle last week, by insinuating he was displeased with his contract and would be reserving his services, accordingly... a big ol' "we'll see"...

Could also use this thread to discuss NXT Award Winners, who will also be announced on Saturday (during the kick-off show)...

Takeover Event of the Year Nominees: Philly (Rumble Weekend), New Orleans (Mania), Chicago (MitB), Brooklyn (SummerSlam), WarGames (Survivor Series)

Match of the Year Nominees: too many to list, just refer to WWE's info page about the rewards at https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/nxt-2018-year-end-awards (no reason that couldn't reasonably be whittled down to 4-5 that clearly stand out above the rest, so I'm not sure why they went overboard like that)

Feud of the Year Nominees: Gargano/Ciampa, Baszler/Sane, Black/Ciampa/Gargano, Velveteen/Ricochet, Undisputed Era/Moustache Mountain, Baszler/Moon, Gargano/Almas

Breakout Star Nominees: Ricochet, EC3, Lars Sullivan, Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley, Dakota Kai, Lacey Evans, War Raiders

Future Star Nominees: Duke/Shafir, Riddle, Shirai, Candice LaRae, Keith Lee, Dominik Dijakovic , Forgotten Sons, Kona Reeves

Tag Team of the Year Nominees: Undisputed Era, Moustache Mountain, Lorcan/Burch, Heavy Machinery, War Raiders, Street Profits

Female Athlete of the Year Nominees: Baszler, Belair, Sane, Nikki Cross, Ember Moon

Male Athlete of the Year Nominees: Ciampa, Ricochet, Black, Gargano, Velveteen, Cole, Pete Dunn, Andrade Cien Almas

Overall Athlete of the Year: all 13 aforementioned singles nominees are eligible

That is all. Begin discussification!

[Edited on 8-10-2019 by Matte]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2538
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 1-24-2019 at 04:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Look for Riddle and Ohno to go 10 minutes, and ALMOST steal the show. It will be the opener or second match, and it’ll be BAD-FUCKING-ASS.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2019 at 02:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For anyone who follows NXT more closely than me (I always watch the TakeOver PPVs, but rarely catch the weekly show outside of highlights), does Gargano taking the title off of Ciampa still seem like the ultimate endgame or has the ship sailed on that?

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 1-25-2019 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anything's possible in NXT, where viewers are actually rewarded for having an attention span longer than one week. There's ways to circle back around to another chapter of Gargano chasing Ciampa in the long run, I guess....

But my gut feel is that there's no way it gets to that point. NXT has good churn, and Ciampa would probably have to run as champ for most or all of 2019 to get back to that point. Other than Asuka, that sort of longevity hasn't been their thing lately.

The vibe to me is that it's actually more likely that #DIY reunites and ends up winning a main roster tag title before they figure out how to tell the story of another NXT title match betwixt the two.

Of course, this is only done to get #DIY to the main roster in a buzzy way, just so they can eventually retell the story of their break-up, leading to more singles death feud matches, just in front of 10x as many eyeballs.... but it'll be fun as hell!

But again: gut feel. Nothing more....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2515
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-25-2019 at 05:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think it would be hard to turn Johnny face once again after recent months. You could maybe do, like, soul-searching vignettes or have him take some time away and come back, but, as good as Johnny/Ciampa was last year, it kind of burned itself out and it needs a break.

Mostly I'm just tired of Candice LeRae being wasted as just "Johnny Wrestling's wife" when she should be kicking Shayna Baszler in the face.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-26-2019 at 03:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Didn't they kind of book Gargano to look like an idiot in a couple of those matches with Ciampa too, where he basically had them won but still managed to come out the loser? I seem to recall in their Last Man Standing match that he had Ciampa freaking handcuffed, yet somehow still lost.
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-26-2019 at 04:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick

Of course, this is only done to get #DIY to the main roster in a buzzy way, just so they can eventually retell the story of their break-up, leading to more singles death feud matches, just in front of 10x as many eyeballs.... but it'll be fun as hell!

I would love to see this. But the pessimist in me (or is it pragmatist given what we seemingly tend to see re: handoff from NXT to main roster writing honors) says it happens poorly if at all.

I think we’d more likely end up with #DIY and Breezango simultaneously splitting and Ciampa / Fandango feuding with Gargano / Breeze over rights to the fashion files with Ascension as the consolation prize.

Don't Mess With Texas

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6349
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 1-26-2019 at 04:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
quote:
Originally posted by OORick

I would love to see this. But the pessimist in me (or is it pragmatist given what we seemingly tend to see re: handoff from NXT to main roster writing honors) says it happens poorly if at all.

I think we’d more likely end up with #DIY and Breezango simultaneously splitting and Ciampa / Fandango feuding with Gargano / Breeze over rights to the fashion files with Ascension as the consolation prize.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-26-2019 at 05:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
When this happens, I will find me. I will hunt me.

Don't Mess With Texas

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 1-26-2019 at 06:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
When this happens, I will find me. I will hunt me.

I dunno. It doesn't have to suck.

If the Ascension somehow stay employed long enough to get to the point where they willingly offer themselves to the loser of a Ciampa/Fandango vs. Gargano/Breeze feud on the main roster, I would LOVE IT if thing unfolded in such a way that Breezango slowly began to realize that they are not complete without each other.

Furthermore, the Ascension complete them.

So by some horseshit nonsense, Dango and the Breeze get double counted out in a deciding match to re-unite with the Ascension.

And then, Ciampa and Gargano just kick the holy living shit out of all 4 of them for being silly wankers.

And then, Ciampa and Gagano look at each other, and remember they hate each other more than anything, and beat the shit out each other. Until the other 4 guys come back at them. And then you can do something fun with that, which ends with Ciampa and Gargano teaming up to beat 4 men, without actually being partners at any point.

Or something like that..... no need to hunt yourself, wms. Unless, of course, "hunting yourself" is a thing you like to do in your personal private reflection time.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-26-2019 at 06:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This whole thing simultaneously made me laugh ...and want it.

I don’t know if that’s good or bad though.

Best to “hunt myself” to figure that one out.

Don't Mess With Texas

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-26-2019 at 11:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Live chat available for tonight's NXT Takeover and tomorrow's Royal Rumble on Discord.

Link below:

https://discord.gg/HMZKkHt

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-27-2019 at 12:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Rowe may have just broken the record for single most feats of strength in one match. And they were all pretty awesome.

[Edited on 1-27-2019 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6349
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-27-2019 at 12:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The sheer strength and stamina of those two fire hydrant-shaped fat dudes is beyond insane.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7932
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-27-2019 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
War Raiders and UE was ridiculously good. I can’t remember the last NXT tag title match at a TakeOver that wasn’t great. Like not just good, but you could show a non-fan the match as an example of what great tag team wrestling is.

Riddle sure is over. Most I’ve seen him have to sell. Hopefully he moves to a more compelling feud.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6349
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-27-2019 at 01:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That Kerry von Erich lookin' money-flipper was pretty damned smooth. Dunno about the shoeless deal but I guess it's a holdover from his MMA days? Pretty gross when KO started gnawing on his toe though. Considering how big he's getting I guess he just got hungry mid-match. And goddamn I still can't get over what a dumb name Kassius Ohno is.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7932
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 1-27-2019 at 01:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gargano wins....huh. Great match. Not sure where they go with Gargano, as I thought the TakeOver Mania main was going to be Gargano finally defeating Ciampa for the title.
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-27-2019 at 01:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My money is on Dream getting a rematch.

Don't Mess With Texas

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7932
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 1-27-2019 at 02:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So Baszler wins as expected. Belair looked a little lost at times, but with a lot of potential. I think the hair got in her way at times too. Baszler still looks green herself at times, and is a reminder how freakish Ronda’s success is. Really both could benefit from being in the ring with more established women.

Not a bad match, just slightly off the TakeOver standard.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6349
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

posted on 1-27-2019 at 02:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, if anything the MMA Horsewomen could benefit from Ronda taking some time off while they all get more experience. Though not too much time given Shayna's already 38 which still blows my mind every time I see her.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7932
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 1-27-2019 at 02:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Loved the story told by Ciampa and Black. Great match. I expect Black will be showing up on Raw as early as Monday.

Again a fantastic night of wrestling from NXT.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2019 at 02:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That ending was perfect. #HeelDIY
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2515
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-27-2019 at 02:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Loved the story told by Ciampa and Black. Great match. I expect Black will be showing up on Raw as early as Monday.

Again a fantastic night of wrestling from NXT.

I expect him earlier than Monday.

Really great show, as always. Some insane bumps tonight, from that Tower of London spot on the apron to Hanson splattering himself on the outside to that spike reverse rana on Ricochet from Johnny. Johnny/Ricochet's gotta be match of the night (although the tag was close), but nothing was bad and everything had a clear story and was well performed.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-27-2019 at 03:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
That ending was perfect. #HeelDIY

This.

Great show.

See you tomorrow, Black.

Don't Mess With Texas

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7932
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 1-27-2019 at 03:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh, I wouldn’t be surprised if Black shows up in the Rumble...I just think his time in NXT is over period.

ETA: apparently there was a brawl after TakeOver ended with Adam Cole, Gargano, and Ciampa facing off with Ricochet, Dream, and Black. So maybe we are jumping the gun on Black moving on.

[Edited on 1-27-2019 by bigfatgoalie]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top