The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WWE 2K20 (with NEWS!)
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-7-2019 at 04:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE 2K20 (with NEWS!)

WWE 2K20 is out, I don't know if I'll be buying it yet because the roster from 2K19 was pretty complete, yadda yadda yadd...oh right...

YUKES IS FUCKING OUT!

Yes, the guys who's biggest innovation over the past decade plus of making these was carrying people around the ring, are now out as of this year, meaning this year we may actually get a new feeling game.

And here's your early release info:
*Game comes out October 22nd (probably the 18th for the Deluxe)
*The physical collector's edition comes with an autographed plaque from Edge, Kurt Angle, or Rey Jr. and a piece of the Smackdown Ring Skirt between 2002-2008
*The Deluxe edition will include the Rock (in his $500 shirt phase), Rock n' Sock Connection Mankind, Hulk Hogan, and Chyna.
*The DLC (also included with the Deluxe edition) is now referred to as WWE "Originals" , which are "unique, playable worlds with different themes" (weird).
*Becky Lynch and Roman Reigns are the cover athletes and directly related to the two story modes. Reigns is the subject of a Tower mode based off of his career, while Lynch is a quarter of the 2K Showcase mode based on the WWE Four Horsewomen.
*Mixed tags are back, but likely will be clunky messes where you get DQ'd for hitting someone of the opposite gender, meaning don't expect Becky Lynch submitting John Cena type scenarios.

Stay tuned as Sal or someone with more commitment shares the roster!

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 8-8-2019 at 03:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh, good. I only read the info on the $130 SD Anniversary Edition on GameStop's website and it sounded like THAT was what came with the extra characters, but it does seem like the regular Deluxe Edition has that stuff too and you're just paying extra for the autograph and bit of ring material. I mean, I probably would've clarified that for myself by looking at other listings and such, but as it turns out I've been lazy. So now I don't feel so bad if I pass up the Fancy Pants Edition. Although the autograph and bit of ring are nifty, but I'm not sure they're "$40 more than the already $90 Deluxe Edition" nifty. Plus, I tend to have an issue with even buying the Deluxe/Gold/etc. Editions for bonus crap and future DLC just from it being a yearly franchise, and I hate the idea of paying extra for a thing I'll inevitably put away when the next one drops. Mind you, I bought that version for 2K19 because I caved in close to launch.

Also, good to see the developer taking charge is apparently well regarded. And has also been assisting Yuke's for a while on the series anyway. Not that I had an issue with Yuke's, honestly. I've never felt as miffed about the various issues some people have had with the franchise for the past few years. As long as I could play the game well enough, I was happy. Well, I thought 2K18's story/career mode was junk (although with improvements, it probably would've been fine). And at this point, I'd almost argue that as long as the gameplay doesn't take a nosedive for whatever reason, all I want to see is the active roster be complete this year (as far as that's possible, so basically just maybe offer the NXT people a better deal so we don't get stuck with holdouts).

Also, interesting to learn the mixed tag thing is back. One thing I'd love to see return is the guest referee stuff. It was nice to be able to screw around with that at times.

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2444
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-11-2019 at 03:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just saw some footage of it on a Takeover commercial....it looks like it runs like shit.
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-17-2019 at 05:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's your first look at what to expect with DLC this go-around.

Essentially, if you pre-order 2K20, you get a $15 DLC pack for free which primarily includes The Fiend version of Bray Wyatt. However, the intriguing (which I don't mean in either a good or bad way) is the additionals:

quote:

New 2K Showcase

An alternate “Swampfather” version of Bray Wyatt has amassed otherworldly power, becoming an embodiment of the swamp itself. He lures Finn Bálor to his compound to recruit Finn’s Demon into his group of powered Superstars, which he calls his “Family.” Finn is forced to fight in a series of matches against members of Wyatt’s Family until finally, the power within Finn Bálor is unleashed. Exclusive commentary brings the story to life.

Story 2K Towers

2K Towers with full stories and unique versions of WWE Superstars:

•“The Fiend” – “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt stars in his own tower.

•“All Fed Up” – “Fed-Up” Sheamus is forced to take on some of his former fellow Superstars, who have all become zombies.

•“Nowhere to Run” – “Twisted” Nikki Cross looks to “play” with other Superstars in her own twisted game.

•“One of the Family” – “The Swampfather” Bray Wyatt decides to bring on one of his past recruits. Can Daniel Bryan avoid becoming one of “The Swampfather’s” thralls?

•“Nowhere to Hide” – “Survivor” Mandy Rose has had enough of “Twisted” Nikki Cross and her games. She’s going to do what she can to put an end to the madness.

I mean, like Cam mentioned, the game looks pretty much how it always has (maybe a touch lower in quality, but I'll withhold on that judgement until 4K stuff starts coming out). But this is different. It might be good to just let the WWE guys have, you know, fun with a game and play outside character or to extremes of their currect character.

I'd still like to see the roster, though. 2K19 was pretty complete, so buying a game so I can play as a few less characters than last year but with Keith Lee, Kona Reeves, Punishment Martinez, or WALTER isn't going to do it for me. They get interesting with legend additions? I'm curious. They improve the gameplay drastically while not sacrificing graphics? Same. But at least this looks like something different.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1986
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 10-8-2019 at 01:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
2K has finally announced the first batch of talent for the game coming out in a couple of weeks. Will spare this thread the full list because the vast majority of it is the same people as last year anyway, but the names announced so far that will be making their debut include:

Keith Lee
Trent Seven
Mark Andrews
Rhea Ripley
Toni Storm
Io Shirai

Also some names that will be making their return to WWE games after not being included last year (and in some cases much, much longer):

Tommaso Ciampa
Nikki Cross
Jerry Lawler
X-Pac
Mankind
Chyna
Hulk Hogan
Mark Henry

I'm Cherokee Jack!

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 10-10-2019 at 08:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The roster's out. And it is underwhelming. No new legends (they're the same as last year's, minus Bam Bam, Lex Luger, Rick Rude, Rick Martel, and Mr. Perfect, but plus Jerry Lawler because sure and Hogan because he's not a racist anymore I guess). No EC3. No Drake Maverick. No Bianca Belair. No Killian Dain. Those are all dumb misses since they were all at least in some way in the game last year (and Maverick is insane since he's been a mainstay in the 24/7 picture) No WALTER, which seems stupid since he seems like he's been around long enough to make it in. And shiny Aleister Black, tentacley Bray Wyatt, and FrankenStrowman do not appeal to me.

This will be a pass for me.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-11-2019 at 05:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think I've seen EC3 and Belair listed somewhere. Maybe. And I think I've seen a list somewhere missing Drew Gulak, and unless he sat out this year like Cross and Ciampa did last year, he should be in. It kind of sounds like there's been some vague confusion about roster stuff even up until now, potentially.

Also missing, Alexander Wolfe and the Ascension. At the very least. I've been dragging my heels on preordering, because I figure I'd go for the Gold/Deluxe/Whatever Edition to get the Fiend and all the other DLC stuff like I did last year, but I'm actually kind of meh myself now. Partly because of the price, and partly because of so few new additions. And the lack of other things. Although I'd give missing legends a bit of a pass, because from what I recall some of them, or maybe a lot of them, apparently have some kind of contract regarding either likeness usage in assorted areas or specifically in video games that seems to provide a set number of uses before they can't be in anymore, which is why people like the Freebirds I think went MIA after 2K18 or something. Which kind of sucks when you're trying to establish a game with a really in-depth roster and have to keep shedding former wrestlers because you can't use them more than a handful of times. And using CAW people just isn't the same when you lack the proper entrance music and the like.

I feel sad about skipping this year, but I didn't get 2K17 for some reason, and even before that I think I ended up sitting out four years worth of games between the final SD vs. Raw and 2K16. And hell, maybe that's not so bad. As long as no one being added (or added back) this year is gone by next year's roster cut-off, presumably I can get it next year and have everyone plus whoever gets tossed in between now and then.

Also, I still feel like I have about ten years worth of RDR2 to finish, so yeah.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 10-11-2019 at 06:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They just made the FINAL final roster. The remnants of the cruiser roster have been put in (sad I didn't even notice they were out, but it's Gulak, Tozawa, Kendrick, and new addition Humberto Carrilo). Also another one I didn't notice missing was Akam, but he's on the roster now. And Dakota Kai, EC3, and Bianca Belair are all now in after being DLC last year. But those were necessities since they've all been employed and on TV(-ish) for at least parts of this year and have been in previous games.

The only other three characters added: Million Dollar Man (I never use him since he's in every game), Molly Holly, and, for some inexplicable reason, only Jaxson Ryker of the Forgotten Sons. Still no WALTER, Dain, Maverick (which is a bit inexcusable), Wolfe, or Ascension. Still seems underwhelming and, after checking the release date and seeing it coincides with that of Outer Worlds, which everyone is now firmly on the bandwagon for, it seems, this'll still be a pass.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2444
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 10-17-2019 at 08:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This game looks soooooo bad

Character models, the storyline choices and dialogue...

My
Lord, if you buy this game....you have no standards.

Let it go. It’s gonna be traaaaash

Just go here to grt the full scoop on how truly awful it is:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wwe-2k20-looks-like-an-early-last-gen-game-what-the-hell-happened.147027/page-8#post-25548929

It’s loaded with screen shots, and tons of links to previews that recommend avoiding the game.

There’s no defense for this. If you try to defend it, I’m just gonna shake my head like a total asshole and say you’re being a fanboy.

This is inexcusable and deserves no respect.

Just awful.

[Edited on 10-17-2019 by CamstunPWG187]

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1362
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 10-18-2019 at 02:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Huh. Well, feeling more like I'm dodging a bullet by skipping this year. At the very least. Or it may still turn out alright! Who knows. I'll wait and see reviews, and then probably still not buy it for some time if at all. I still need to finish up some stuff with last year's entry as it is.

Also, I'm finding Bianca Belair's hair in that to be way funnier than it maybe should be.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 10-21-2019 at 11:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
User reviews (and a few “professional” ones) are starting to come in and the general consensus is that Career mode is fun for the story, as is the 2K Originals, but the actual gameplay is pretty bad (which you’d expect when they announce a major change in developers two months before the game releases) and the graphics took a pretty noticeable tumble.

If WWE wants to use sports terms, I guess I’d look at this as them tanking this year. Maybe they’re better next year? But reading “good story but not so good gameplay” reminds me of what I heard from people getting pissed about NBA 2K this year.

So I guess next year we just see how NBA does first and assume he WWE game will be a lesser version of that.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1986
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 10-21-2019 at 02:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little curious to try out the Originals and Career mode stuff, but no chance in hell I'm paying full price + DLC costs for that given what I’ve been reading.

I finally bought 2K19 around the beginning of this year when the PSN store had the full Deluxe version on sale for like $30, and I’ll probably wait for a similar deal this time around.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3151
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 10-21-2019 at 03:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
User reviews (and a few “professional” ones) are starting to come in and the general consensus is that Career mode is fun for the story, as is the 2K Originals, but the actual gameplay is pretty bad (which you’d expect when they announce a major change in developers two months before the game releases) and the graphics took a pretty noticeable tumble.

If WWE wants to use sports terms, I guess I’d look at this as them tanking this year. Maybe they’re better next year? But reading “good story but not so good gameplay” reminds me of what I heard from people getting pissed about NBA 2K this year.

So I guess next year we just see how NBA does first and assume he WWE game will be a lesser version of that.

I play a ton of NBA2K every year. The actual basketball portion of it is generally great, but it’s the bells and whistles where it usually lacks. Also NBA2K is RIDICULOUSLY predatory with micro transactions while WWE2K isn’t. I never even spent all my coins from last year where as you simply cannot compete in “My Park” without $50 to boost your toon from an unplayable 65 to an ok 85. The grind just to 85 would take someone with a full time job 2 months easily. At that point they then get to play people who spent the $50 at launch who are now 99s and grinded from there. Best part ... if you mess up you’re out the $50 in coins.

Furthermore a missing cash cow is the lack of a WWE centric “My Team” (or Ultimate Team in EA terms) where someone can collect different versions of their favorite stars to use in battle. Problem is, this is yet another mode where it becomes much easier to pull out your credit card then to grind.

Ultimately I believe it’s the lack of these two modes that is holding back the overall development of WWE 2K. They create millions upon millions of dollars of revenue all year for the developers while the upgraded version of WWE adds a bit more revenue up front and nearly nothing as the year progresses.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2444
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 10-23-2019 at 04:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It’s not even getting reviewed

The only review for it right now from any serious publication is Forbes, and who the fuck cares about Forbes reviewing video games?

They gave it a 5.25/10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top