The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 5, 2019)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4338
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-5-2019 at 11:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 5, 2019)

Tonight on RAW: if everyone can put away the military-grade assault weapons for just one goddamned minute, we can all enjoy the last giddy-up for the red brand prior to SummerSlam....

WWEU Champ Brock Lesnar defending against Seth Rollins is slated to headline Sunday's PPV, and Brock is confirmed as appearing on tonight's show, where he intends to gloat about the hellacious ass whupping he put on Rollins last week.... WWE is going so far as to suggest that Brock will be present, but Iron Horse Rollins might have to skip the show.... of course, I'd still place my money on Rollins appearing....

AJ Styles defending his US Title against Ricochet is on the docket for the PPV, as well... fellow Club members Gallows & Anderson are also the new RAW tag champs, possibly in search of challengers, all of which could be weaved together tonight for some 6 man action....

Brand loyalty be damned! Three other major matches for Sunday that may be addressed tonight, or may wait till tomorrow where they "belong": WWE Champ Kofi Kingston vs. Randy Orton.... Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon... and Finn Balor vs. Fiend Wyatt....

Speaking of forgetting brands: Roman Reigns was the victim of a backstage Mystery Attack last week, and though he's ostensibly a SD star, WWE is promising progress on this issue tonight, in order to set up Reigns with a SummerSlam opponent (you would think Samoa Joe is a lock, but apparently not)...

And a little bit of stunt casting:

Trish Stratus knocks off the ring-rust when she teams with fellow Canadian Natalya tonight to battle their respective PPV opponents (and VERY strange bedfellows) Charlotte and RAW Women's Champ Becky Lynch.... I can't imagine it ending any other way than Charlotte and Becky imploding...

And originally, we were to get a Contract Signing between Miz and Dolph Ziggler for a SummerSlam Match... but now, that contract signing is a special edition of Miz TV where Shawn Michaels will once again be present for some reason.... I broached the (delightful) possibility of a heel manager HBK joining up with Ziggler 2 weeks ago, but the new rumor is that WWE wants to transition to a Ziggler vs. Goldberg match (the idea being that all parties involved want Goldberg's Saudi Arabia debacle erased from memory by a more passable match, and Ziggler has been name-dropping him more than any other HoF'er other than HBK lately)... we'll see...

Also, there will be 24/7 hijinx, as we figure out exactly to what lengths people will go to dethrone a pregnant woman.....

That is all. End communication....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4019
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-5-2019 at 11:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After last week's big spot, I hope they keep Cedric Alexander in the limelight. I like Drew, but he's sort of been pigeonholed as the muscle(first for Dolph, then for Corbin, now for Shane) so him losing to Alexander shouldn't hurt him.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6032
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang
Member Is Online

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 8-6-2019 at 12:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, Paul E. is definitely pullin' the levers tonight.

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 807
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 8-6-2019 at 12:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My daughter just pointed out that Rey's chest tattoo makes it look like he's wearing a bra.
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1316
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 8-6-2019 at 12:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ah yes, the OBGYN office that has sheets for a wall. An underutilized architectural style.

Edit: Well, that ended fast. I'd say probably for the best, but I suspect this now gives them an opportunity for Maria to shriek at Mike even more.

[Edited on 8-6-2019 by Il Palazzo]

Oh, I love legitimate theatre.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1627
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2019 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was really hoping "pregnant champ" would last longer, especially after Maria Kanellis starting lovingly petting the title like it was her pregnant belly.
LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 807
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 8-6-2019 at 12:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
R-Truth won a match by tossing a doll in the air, distracting his opponent. The Miz did the same thing a year ago. Is the Awesome Truth reuniting? Call the hotline to find out!

EDIT: Sorry, I think I was temporarily possessed by the ghost of Mean Gene.

[Edited on 8-6-2019 by LoveMuscle]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6032
Registered 1-28-2013
Member Is Online

posted on 8-6-2019 at 01:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Annnnnd now Vince is back to pulling the levers.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1316
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-6-2019 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was some sweet DDP cosplay. Also, slightly less impressive than last week due to A) a decided lack of chair-assisted abdomen destruction, and B) Rollins being a fucking idiot and limping to the ring with no hope of actually fighting off Lesnar.

Although, I DID sort of think there was room for an actual plan beyond "limp-charge the ring with a chair and hope for the best." Or he'd get to the ring and Super Cena up, ignoring all damage from last week.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 807
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 8-6-2019 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
Although, I DID sort of think there was room for an actual plan beyond "limp-charge the ring with a chair and hope for the best." Or he'd get to the ring and Super Cena up, ignoring all damage from last week.

It's the same kind of stuff his girlfriend was doing before WrestleMania.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1316
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-6-2019 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pretend I said "but enough about my relationship with Becky Lynch" before he specified he was talking about Lesnar and the Universal title!

Edit: Graves trying to spin the crowd's silence as anything other than "meh" was kind of sad. But then, WWE bungling the Viking Raider's time on the main roster is sadder. Hey! Two big guys that can do cool stuff and have a relatively solid gimmick if you do things right to connect them with the crowd! Make sure to mess with the names, stick them in pointless squashes, randomly turn them heel, and align them (sporadically and/or briefly) with Shane! And then maybe don't use them at times! And then go back to squashes! THAT'S the stuff.

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 807
Registered 6-28-2007

posted on 8-6-2019 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That one Viking Raider's headgear makes him look like a tauntaun from Empire Strikes Back.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7557
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2019 at 01:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm trying to figuring out what they're angling for with Rollins at SummerSlam. Kayfabe-wise, I don't see how he's portrayed as being anywhere near a threat to Lesnar after being seriously hurt the past two weeks, so does Lesnar just squash him? Or does Rollins get his ass kicked for ten minutes but then pull off some kind of fluke victory? Or do we get something screwy, like Heyman turning on Lesnar?

And I liked Wyatt's attack on Angle and hope they keep doing unpredictable shit with his character like that, where he appears when you're not expecting it.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1316
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-6-2019 at 01:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's a bit late to pull it off, but I suppose they could add in a stipulation or angle for a gimmick match that would give Rollins a better shot at winning. Other than that, or general shenanigans, I wouldn't think he'd have a reasonable period of time to recover from tonight on top of last week, especially if he wasn't capable of much tonight after last week but before this week's beatdown. AND stuff.

Also, the matches tonight have been pretty solid. Well, aside from the more or less meaningless-feeling Viking Raiders squash. And I missed the women's match at the start, and no longer recall how McIntyre/Alexander went beyond the initial beating Alexander took.

It's nice getting more physical Bray stuff, but I kind of wish they'd also keep up with the FFH segments a bit more often along with his surprise attacks.

Edit: I'm not saying anything new here, but getting to revisit the attempted hit on Reigns didn't make it any less stupid. And still for me more for the aspect of OH SHIT ALL THAT STUFF FELL ON ROMAN leading to him just sliding out and walking off because it apparently managed to conveniently fall on boxes, preventing it from fully falling on him. Also all the other reasons it's dumb!

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3254
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoveMuscle
My daughter just pointed out that Rey's chest tattoo makes it look like he's wearing a bra.

I hate to bodyshame ReyRey, but I caught some of his work from last Monday (I channel-surfed into a Raw Replay somewhen lately) and I swear to Janerd I was like "Who is this pudgy new luchador? I am not familiar with this guy."

When they said "Rey Misterio" was his name, well.. I woulda done a spit-take had I been drinking something.

quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I'm trying to figuring out what they're angling for with Rollins at SummerSlam. Kayfabe-wise, I don't see how he's portrayed as being anywhere near a threat to Lesnar after being seriously hurt the past two weeks, so does Lesnar just squash him? Or does Rollins get his ass kicked for ten minutes but then pull off some kind of fluke victory? Or do we get something screwy, like Heyman turning on Lesnar?

Whichever option makes Rollins look like a "Cool Face". That's the one they'll go with.

[Edited on 8-6-2019 by Count Zero]

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1316
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man, it doesn't even make any sense for Rikishi to be trying to murder Roman.

Edit: Also, that was a small step up from last week! I look forward to next week when he's walking along and suddenly someone starts firing a machine gun at him, but only manages to shoot an outline around him.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7801
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Graves when he sees both Mandy and Alexa:

Janey when he sees R-Truth in a dress:

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1316
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is there some reason why this match isn't happening at SummerSlam, like it seems it should be doing?

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1627
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Il Palazzo
Man, it doesn't even make any sense for Rikishi to be trying to murder Roman.

Edit: Also, that was a small step up from last week! I look forward to next week when he's walking along and suddenly someone starts firing a machine gun at him, but only manages to shoot an outline around him.

And then he's saved by Maria Kanellis' OB-GYN.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6032
Registered 1-28-2013
Member Is Online

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lotta T an' a lotta A on muh screen right now.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1316
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I feel a bit bad the IIconics had to lose the titles after not really being able to do TOO much with them, but then, if the supposed "Bellas win the titles at WrestleMania, except then Nikki can't wrestle again so nevermind" thing derailed plans, why was it necessary to take four months to actually try doing something else with the belts? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS.

phansett
And I am AWESOME

Posts 238
Registered 4-15-2003
Location Chicagoland

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Eventually it will end at SURVIVOR Series.
Slow burn to a new heel debuting, ultimately to put Roman over.
It will be an emotional build, but good payoff.
Some may even call it a rematch of sorts.
The perpetrator...
Lou Kymia
Or Luke Hemia
Or the luchador mixed team of Lk y Mia.

Or ... Ill just show myself out.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   phansett 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   phansett 's Yahoo
lz4005
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1697
Registered 11-11-2003

Mood: Oolitic

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If anyone had today as when Heyman would bring back a variation of the three way dance for transferring a title from one heel to another in the pool, congratulations.

[Edited on 8-6-2019 by lz4005]

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7801
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-6-2019 at 02:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bliss and Cross being on the same page is great. Plus Bliss in a tag-team possibly will help Alexa not get hurt.
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4338
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-6-2019 at 03:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Goldberg's involvement seemed like an open secret, so..... I actually like how they did that. They put it on last, in the headline spot that it technically deserves, but they didn't milk the he-goat or anything.

Miz insta-reveals that Dolph signed the wrong contract, Shawn insta-reveals it's not him. Then Goldberg happens, and it clicks nicely. I'll take it.

The bonus sweet chin music from Shawn? I'll just repeat what I've already said: Shawn didn't sign on for "one match" last fall. So Clown Prince Murderpants bin Salman is probably getting Ziggler vs. Michaels in Saudi Arabia this fall. Good for him.

Maybe we can wish for a tag match or two (Survivor Series, maybe?) out of Shawn so we feel less guilty about watching?

Count me among the utterly confused as to what they are going for with Rollins/Lesnar..... best guess is using Reigns' or Goldberg's match as the last match at SummerSlam, and hiding a Lesnar squash lower on the card.... WWEU Champ Lesnar transitions to SD and FOX, per FOX's request that WWE give them the more realistic "sports, not entertainment" show.

Rollins still in good shape, and Kofi/New Day bring that WWE Title over to RAW to keep things entertainment-y.

I mean, clearly, the two tag champs are on a collision course, right? The OOOC and the New Day can probably have some non-title match at SummerSlam after tonight, and it wouldn't be hard to include AJ Styles in any roster move to make SD tighter on the in-ring, as well....

Love the layers of Joe professing innocence, demanding to beat Roman to a pulp to PROVE his innocence, and then when somebody else dares to attack Roman again, Joe is the first to help Roman and call for medics.

It's almost like Joe is a real person who wants to push buttons to get reactions, but at the end of the day, is not some random caricature of evil!

Almost.

I await the reveal of who was driving the sedan. I also kind of await Joe, all innocent-like, standing next to his "brother" Roman, suddenly turning on Reigns again because he IS evil.... we'll see. Bryan and Joe as a team intrigues me to say the least.

Then again, I concur that it's entirely possible that WWE told Luke Harper he will not receive his release until he fulfills his remaining 10 months.... and his new gimmick is Luke Hemia. *plonk*

Women's tag titles? I was cheering for Asuka and Kairi, because there is no bigger Asuka fan in the world that me. But I can definitely deal with Nikki and Lexi.... they set that up as a partnership that failed in two weeks. Now, it will last a while, and Nikki will be the winner for having stuck with Alexa and genuinely helped her for a long time before Bliss' inevitable heel turn.

It's a lot less compelling if you don't put the time in to make the relatable good guy, you know?, relatable and good. This problem is now solved. Or maybe I'm just a total mark for the fact that Nikki Cross has powers of mind-reading and decided that "The Rick is a very smart man, and I *should* just offer Molly Holly a fair price for her old ring gear, because I will wear it oh so very nicely."

I wasn't among the fans of last week's 24/7 stuff, just because I didn't see the pay-off, short of Maria holding the thing for the entirety of her pregnancy.... so I'm glad that did away with that, but I can't say anything good about the production values of that segment. The Dying Days of WCW called, and they want their pre-tapes back!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top