The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Active Shooter in Dayton, Ohio.
Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 814
Registered 5-13-2003
Location Saratoga Springs, NY

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2019 at 09:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Active Shooter in Dayton, Ohio.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/active-shooter-incident-investigated-dayton-ohio-police/story?id=64763090
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2333
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-4-2019 at 12:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Innocents gettiní Swayze because of these terrorists.

Thats the second major one in less than 24 hours, yeah?

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2019 at 03:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yep. El Paso yesterday now this. Seen a total count thus far for the last week of 34 dead, 71 injured in five mass shootings across the country (Philadelphia, Brooklyn, Gilroy (CA), El Paso, Dayton). Some of the injuries in Dayton are said to be life-threatening so that body count could still rise.

The shooter was said to have been neutralized in ďless than a minuteĒ by officers that were nearby when it began. He shot 35 people in less than one minute.

Check in, Rick.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2333
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-4-2019 at 06:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah Rick, please.
OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 4267
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 8-4-2019 at 07:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All is well for me and mine.

That said: my various bands have played up and down those couple of blocks over the years, and it's a genuine mindfuck that something like this would be even remotely possible.

Latest report is that the shooter's sister is among the victims, so, ummm, maybe family squabble, and YAY for Not Racism? Either way, fuck our gun laws; being able to shoot almost 40 people in under a minute is not a constitutional right.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2019 at 11:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you're safe and sound Rick, I'm sure that has to be a pretty fucked up experience to have that happen in your own backyard.

And a funny story (that's, you know, actually not funny): I had to do an "active shooter" training thing at work on Friday evening, that basically covered what to do in the event that an active shooter enters the building, and I was kind of laughing with my boss about how fucked up it is that things have gotten to point here in the States that this is actually a thing we have to do now. And then just barely over 24 hours later, not one but two major mass shooting incidents have happened. So yeah.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2401
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-4-2019 at 11:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As usual, nothing will happen as a result of this. Not in the short term.

But kids today are growing up in a world of active shooter drills in school and highly publicized and regular incidents of mass murder. For years, conservatives said people were coming for their guns and nobody really was. But when those kids grow up? They are gonna take away all the guns and no bullshit 2nd amendment argument is gonna stop 'em.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 4267
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 8-5-2019 at 03:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Until very recently, I honestly believed that there was no point in advocating for the repeal of the 2nd Amendment, because it would be political suicide.

I figured this was something where we could all be grown ups and more or less agree that firearms and motor vehicles should operate with similar levels of licensing and registration. At a basic level, anyone can own and operate the entry level models, assuming they are willing to follow the rules of the road (i.e. follow a speed limit and no concealed carry). But I'm not allowed to drive a big rig, so why are you allowed to have a sniper rifle? To say nothing of the fact that a military-grade semi-automatic weapon should be at least as hard to get licensed for as flying a plane.

But the stupid NRA opted not to sit at the table, and instead paid off republicans to put off the inevitable.

And now, I actually suspect GEG is right, and the pendulum has already begun to swing towards the younger progressive block of voters who don't care if the 2nd Amendment is a precious hand-me-down directly from the Founding Fathers.... it's also the bullshit excuse the gun people hide behind the second you try to make even the smallest change to gun laws. It must go.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 679
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-5-2019 at 11:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really hope the younger generation does something about this when they get older and the older generation dies off but you know who that older generation is filled with? Free love hippies from the sixties that wanted change. Being around like minded individuals really brings out the ďWe gotta change this shitĒ camaraderie but when any generation grows up, their priorities seem to change.

Like I said, I really hope the younger generation is more sensible about all of this but I dunno.

Glad that youíre ok, Rick. You were my first thought when I saw it was Dayton.

[Edited on 8-5-2019 by CVD39]

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3234
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Can't Even

posted on 8-6-2019 at 03:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'd like to be optimistic and hope The Youth are going to change things, but my generation was going to change everything.... Until we grew up, had kids, got jobs, paid bills, and realized that Changing The World is pretty goddamn complicated so meeeeehhhhh. Kick that can down the road for somebody else to handle.

Humans are hopeful and lazy. This is what history has taught me.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 8-8-2019 at 11:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't think anything will change, not now, not soon, not ever. After Sandy Hook and all those elementary school kids got gunned down, and nothing changed, well some laws were actually loosened, then nothing is going to ever change.

All the NRA needs, is the President, or 41 Senators, and nothing will ever happen. There is no way to get 37 states to sign off on any repeal of the 2nd.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Ė Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

mistabinks
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 64
Registered 8-29-2003
Location Glory Road - El Paso, TX

Mood: doing swell

posted on 8-8-2019 at 11:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Last night, I was at Ponder Park, here in El Paso, watching my nephew play in a coach-pitch baseball game. He is a good kid and I am heavily involved in his life. Not that there is anything wrong with it but he can be quick to cry at times. If he gets scolded, if he trips, if his teacher gets upset with him, etc, here come the water works. Overall, Iím decently modern and donít force any old school virtues on him. Regarding baseball, as long as he respects his coaches, pays attention, and actually tries, I donít care if heís good or awful. I donít care if he hits the ball or strikes out. Iím supportive. That being said, Iím not perfect, and I canít stand a crybaby. I have explained to him that a champion isnít someone who is alway victorious in sports but is someone that is reliable, that is a rock, someone who is an asset, someone you are happy is there in a bad situation. My constant theme to him is to be an asset not a deficit.

He plays first baseball and took a line drive to the nose last night. A little bit of bleeding but he was okay. Obviously it is okay for him to cry in this situation. I tried calming him down after we were certain there was no damage or injury to his face. I went a little retro and told him he needed to stop crying. I told him I needed him to be an asset. Another kid asked what that meant. I told him I wanted my nephew to be someone you can count on even in a bad situation. Not someone who freezes or cries in an emergency.

Oh yeah, the little kid said, especially if there is another shooter.

Fuck, man. Thatís what the kids here are going to carry with them for the rest of their lives. Fuck.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top