The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finally upgraded my PC to an SSD
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7728
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-30-2019 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Finally upgraded my PC to an SSD

So since Microsoft decided to end support for Windows 7, I decided it was time to replace my clicking system disc and upgrade to Windows 10.

First off, if you still have Windows 7 and it is a legal copy, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free..

The upgrade was well worth the $38 (Canadian, so like $25 usd?) for a 240gb drive. I could have gone faster with an NVMe drive, but seeing as how I don't use a dedicated GPU (don't game on my PC, have other options for video editing) and am only at 8gb of ram. I can now launch Chrome and iTunes (2 apps that are not the best on Windows) instantly on login.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 7-31-2019 at 10:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I swapped out my old hard drive with an SSD in my 2012 Mac Mini, and holy shit it runs so much faster now. Much bigger bump in speed than when I maxed out the RAM (a paltry 16gb).

If you're having speed issues, especially the pinwheel on iOS or the blue wheel of wait on Windows, I highly recommend swapping your hard drive out with a SSD.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 8-2-2019 at 04:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My PC boots Windows 7 Pro completely from the log in screen, in like 3.6 seconds because of it's SSD. Magical stuff.

On top of that, the drive is like 85% filled.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top