The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chicken Wings
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 7-23-2019 at 11:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Chicken Wings

So, I was going to make this a straight forward "Do you prefer your chicken wings baked for fried?", but I'm also curious about any good recipes or wing places that you recommend. There are so many varieties of wings and wing flavors and wing debates ( blue cheese or ranch?), I'd figured you could share all your chicken wing shit.

FWIW, I like really hot foods. Spicy foods are my jam, and while I haven't gone the full monty with chicken wings (Ghost Pepper, Carolina Reaper, Pepper X), I know I will eventually. I also like some of the milder flavors like raspberry glazed wings.

Most of the wing places in my area are shit. The wings are slimy and look like the color my grandmother was after she died or they just drench the wings in some generic buffalo sauce.

I'm really craving some good ass, crispy, white meat chicken wings that taste great while also setting my asshole ablaze.

[Edited on 7-23-2019 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6140
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Orton (Orton)

posted on 7-24-2019 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've always had a good experience with this joint. It's in a strip mall/working class asshole zone so I figure they wouldn't be in business for long if they weren't good. Been going there or getting takeout from them for years and they've always been good. Juicy, meaty, all that shit. I've never had anything ultra-hot but have tried pretty much all the other flavors and they were damned tasty.

Mango Habanero and Thai Chili are my favorite. They're a'ight but I don't care for the sweeter sauces like Raspberry. You actually would probably do well to just augment whatever kind you get with whichever butthole raping sauce you prefer. You should, uh, check out the menu in case you're ever down in this area of the country of America where I live in Southern Florida.

http://www.wingsplusfortlauderdale.com/

At some point I'm gonna try out making some wings in my Instant Pot as I hear they come out really well that way. Basically cook them in the pot then finish them in the oven is about all there is to it.

You seen't this series? The interviewer Sean Evans talks with a variety of entertainment folks as they eat progressively hotter and hotter wings and ultimately lose their shit. One of the best interview show concepts ever!

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-24-2019 at 12:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
janerd,

You are my spirit animal.

I've eaten at Wings Plus (two different locations). Their wings are serviceable. I get the Mango Haberno and they are hot and tasty. There's also Miami Sports Grill which has pretty decent wings. I usually eat them "Dale" style which is kind of hot and salty.

Also, I absolutely love Hot Ones and never miss an episode. The one with Chris Jericho is actually really fucking good.

[Edited on 7-24-2019 by CCharger]

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7848
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-24-2019 at 01:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hate chicken wings with a passion. A passion that is only topped by places offering "boneless chicken wings" (aka chicken nuggets) but will not make them with the same sauces as they make bone-in wings.

I like chicken. I like chicken with hot sauce. Ghost Peppers, Scorpion Peppers, Reaper Peppers...I like them all.

But there's no way in hell I'm eating greasy ass wings off a bone.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-24-2019 at 01:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I feel you. There are some wing nerds who insist that boneless wings arenít ďpureĒ. Bullshit.

Sometimes, I just want to enjoy the heat without all the work.

-- The Rick

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6140
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Orton (Orton)

posted on 7-24-2019 at 02:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Comrades, Comrades, Comrades... pls. Pls, Comrades... #SMH

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1650
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-24-2019 at 02:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have a deep and abiding appreciation of spicy foods, probably not least because I was a big spice wuss for no good reason until I was in my early to mid-20s. On some subconscious level, I'm making up for lost time. But I've never been much into chicken wings, partly because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with bones, and partly because the places that "specialize" in them tend to be mediocre at best. I'm sure there are a lot of places that do them well, but I don't think to order them because those places do a lot of other stuff well.

For whatever it's worth, my best experiences with spicy wings haven't been at restaurants; they've been at festivals and events, where participants have the opportunity to get really creative. We have a Fiery Foods Festival around here where the vendors come up with some crazy stuff that's really good; I haven't been in a few years, as the tickets have gotten expensive, but it was the cat's pajamas a few years back. I even entered the spicy wing-eating contest about 10 years ago, and no matter how hot the sauces got, they all still had unique flavor to them. I had no regrets about the experience until the next morning. Then, all the regrets.

Google tells me it's limited to a handful of Midwest states, but if you ever have the chance to go to a chain called Fricker's, don't. It bills itself as a wing joint, and it may be the worst dining experience of my entire adult life. The barbecue sauce tasted like expired ketchup, my wife's salad was 20% edible at best, the waitstaff forgot about us multiple times and a panhandler was going around to each table to beg for money. Though the latter issue probably doesn't happen at all their locations.

OneDollarMan
ButtViper

Posts 4
Registered 4-8-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-24-2019 at 03:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you have an air fryer, you can cook frozen wings for about 20 minutes, take them out, dip them in whatever sauce you want (I usually stick with Frank's hot wing sauce), put them back in for 5 more minutes. Some sauces tend to burn a little quick so keep an eye on them.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7586
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-26-2019 at 04:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For all of you hot and spicy aficionados, what exactly is it that you like about it? For me, anything above the "mild to hot" level makes my mouth and tongue burn and my nose runny, and there's pretty much zero that I enjoy about any of that. It's just an unpleasurable eating experience for me that I would never intentionally inflict upon myself, so I'm just curious to delve into the psyche of those who (to quote CCharger) like to set their asshole ablaze.
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-26-2019 at 01:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
For all of you hot and spicy aficionados, what exactly is it that you like about it? For me, anything above the "mild to hot" level makes my mouth and tongue burn and my nose runny, and there's pretty much zero that I enjoy about any of that. It's just an unpleasurable eating experience for me that I would never intentionally inflict upon myself, so I'm just curious to delve into the psyche of those who (to quote CCharger) like to set their asshole ablaze.

I think it's important to differentiate between hot foods that still taste good and hot food that are just hot and that's it. I've had chicken wings that were really fucking hot with everything you described, but they tasted good enough to make it worth it. I've also had foods that were so hot it literally caused me to have a panic attack, but they also tasted acrid and horrible. There are so many varieties of wing sauces now, that you can still get whatever your preferred heat level is along with a good taste.

Now, there are some assholes who act macho and spout shit about how if you don't eat the FUCKING GHOST REAPER PRISON SEX PEPPER SAUCE that you aren't a real man and aren't doing wings right, BRO.

Fuck that noise. Eat what you like. If lots of spice and heat aren't for you, so be it. If you enjoy a salty, vinegary, fruity taste that is also hot enough to make your eyes bleed, go for it.

On that note, are there any people from the British Isles on here that have tried a "spice bag"? I hear it is a popular snack in Ireland for all the drunk partiers, and that it is spicy as fuck.

-- The Rick

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1650
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-26-2019 at 02:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

Echoing CCharger, foods that are spicy just for the sake of being spicy don't much appeal to me. There's no fun in eating something that's just brain-meltingly hot with no actual flavor to it. At the same Fiery Foods Festival I mentioned in my previous post, the next year, I entered a hot ice cream sundae eating contest, and unlike the wings, the sundae just tasted like heat; no flavor at all. Screw that noise.

What I like about spicy foods, when done right, is that it's a whole different kind of taste. A chef who knows what they're doing can create a spicy flavor that has no mild comparison. Learning to appreciate spicy foods has helped broaden my horizons, and I'm always looking for ways to do that. Bonuses:

1) They're great when you have a cold, especially if you're congested. Not only do they help clear out the ol' sinuses, but they're easier to actually taste if your illness has everything tasting like styrofoam.
2) They can actually help you cool down in warm weather. I had a spicy Korean beef bowl at a 90-degree outdoor festival recently -- while hung over, no less -- and it made the weather a little more bearable.
3) They discourage food mooching by other members of your party. Time was, if I didn't want my son ignoring his lunch in favor of mine, getting something spicy would guarantee his disinterest. Though it's irrelevant these days, as the idea of trying something new is entirely foreign to him.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7848
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-26-2019 at 07:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I donít want the ring of fire. And honestly, as somebody who has IBS, Iím amazed that spicy stuff doesnít trigger me. I can have all the spicy stuff I want, and Iím fine. If anything, it helps. Drink a diet pop? I risk the chance of shitting my pants.

What good spicy stuff does, is have an enhanced flavour profile. Like others have said, I donít want heat just irritate my mouth. I want flavour. My spicy love started with Taco Bell, and using their hot sauce over ketchup. From there it grew as I grew as a cook. Basically once I got past things like black pepper, oregano, and basil I moved on to things with a hotter profile. Next came chopping actual peppers. So far Iíve topped out at Carolina Reaper Black Cherry sauce, and Scotch Bonnet is the hottest whole pepper Iíve cooked with/tried raw.

My current favourite hot sauce is a Blueberry Scorpion Pepper sauce. Itís great on salads.

And while I agree, eat what you like, I have strong feelings of hate for people who go ďI like spicy food, I put Frankís on everything!Ē No, you like vinegar and an irritated mouth.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, if you chop anything equal or hotter than a jalapeŮo, you will either a) have an itchy eye, or b) have to pee. Wash your hands first. Or donít. Your choice really.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7586
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-27-2019 at 03:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the insights and the "spiciness opens up different flavors" thing makes sense. I just think I must not have the pallet for spicy stuff like that, because even if something tastes good to me, I'm tapping out if it's too spicy (for instance, I've had stuff like wings or salsa that tasted really good but had too much kick, so I stopped eating them).
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 8-16-2019 at 02:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

-- The Rick

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4059
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-16-2019 at 07:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stone Cold talking about how much of a sissy he is with spicy food just to then no-sell all of the sauces was great.
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-17-2019 at 01:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Austin has usually been a self-aware and modest individual outside of his wrestling persona. He knows his limits and intelligently never boasts or gets cocky about how much of a man he is, because he knows he needs to protect his brand. He wouldnít wanna say ďah, this shit ainít gonna be a problemĒ, because if he tackles it and gets Bill Burríd, it wouldnít be so cool.

Austin knows how to take us along for a ride, and he knows exactly how to pace us.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top